Search Unity

terrain holes ?

Discussion in '2019.3 Alpha' started by creat327, May 21, 2019.

1. creat327

creat327

Hi

The terrain holes feature was postponed from 2018 to 2019.1, then 2019.2 and then said it was for sure for 2019.3... in the alpha is not there. Will it happen in .3? I need to plan accordingly.

Lahcene and id0 like this.
  2. id0

id0

Yeah! I want terrain holes too!

3. GameDevCouple_I

GameDevCouple_I

Starting to think it will never arrive

MCrafterzz likes this.
  4. Gokcan

Gokcan

5. creat327

creat327

*crickets*

6. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Current estimate is around a5 - a6.

7. GameDevCouple_I

GameDevCouple_I

Thats fantastic, far better news than I hoped for! Apologies for being so negative!

8. creat327

creat327

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

I was on panic mode thinking it was postponed yet again

Lahcene likes this.
  9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Holed your horses everyone.

A hole lot of fuss going on around here.

10. Recon03

Recon03

not sure why everyone is fussing about this, you could do this for years and many assets have it...the issue, that needs to be fixed is the terrain COLLIDER to pass through, we always had to hack it to pass through it..So, I really hope to GOD Unity fixes this issue....This in my opinion is much needed than a shader..sure not everyone can do it or buy such asset, but with out fixing this.....Its not a reliable way....we been asking Unity since 3...to address the terrain collider...So we can pass through properly with out hacking it.. so I really hope, its part of what you plan to do.. in the near future. Thank you.

to many think adding holes Is actually passing through, no offense we see this a lot, there is a few parts to making a hole..one is rendering the area you want the hole.. by using a mask, cut out.. as done IN RTP, Mega Splats, Micro splats and CTS.....the other part which is the biggest issue Unity has , is the collider..being able to pass through it..with out us writing HACKS.. to do so.

PS: I know many know this, but there is a lot that don't . so Unity please be clear on which part your working on...I assume its the shader part... or are you handling both parts? Thanks.

11. id0

id0

Recon03 it's kind of REALLY hole, you know, like remove poligons from terrain, otherwise it pointless.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  12. creat327

creat327

it's not a shader, it's a hole. That's the whole point. Using a shader you could do it yourself a decade ago.

13. Teila

Teila

Interesting. Wonder what it will be like? Overhangs interest me more than holes.

Don-Gray likes this.
  14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Just actual holes that are rough and square like. The expectation is you will mask them with geometry. The best part is it all works properly with GI / colliders / etc.... Overhangs are not a feature, you will still want to just do that with meshes.

Teila likes this.
  15. creat327

creat327

LeonhardP and id0 like this.
  16. id0

id0

Nothing works as usual. At least in HDRP.

17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

The holes support isn't visual. It is for physics, GI etc...

The visual side has always been possible in Unity. As mentioned earlier, the visual side, the rendering, is coming later. With existing holes support you should fall through it even if it looks solid.

Just reminding people that there's different teams doing different things and while they do try to sync the result, often one team can't just drop everything because another started a job of their own... sounds a bit like managers need a DOTS approach to staff then! :O

I imagine that Unity's progress would be a lot slower with more sync points!

18. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

The terrain holes works good. I did a test yesterday on the latest alpha.

Rallix, hippocoder, rizu and 4 others like this.
  19. bugfinders

bugfinders

@LennartJohansen does the navmesh go through the hole?? eg if you made that a tunnel through the hill ..

20. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

I can test.

Lennart

21. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Looks like it works. Navmesh connects to the plane I added from the edge and inside the terrain.
    Image 1305.png

Rowlan, Rallix, hippocoder and 3 others like this.
  22. bugfinders

bugfinders

Thanks @LennartJohansen I paid for an asset that made terrain holes, that part worked (once they fixed it so it also worked on windows) but navmesh wouldnt work inside any cave/tunnel made.. Rendering it kinda pointless for a lot of things.. Which was a shame.. I cant wait to go home and play with that now

23. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Just remember that until 3rd party shader add support for sampling the "hole mask" they will not work with this. I guess so far only the built in terrain shader support it.

hippocoder likes this.
  24. bugfinders

bugfinders

Oh, thats fine, pretty much for what I want, the built in terrainy stuff and shaders are my gotos (Im sure no artist and the basics do me well enough) by the time I need more, someone will have supported it :) To be fair, all I really wanted was more "cave entrances" so like mountains with an entrance to a dungeon/tunnel or even to dig out a dungeon rather than make a whole new scene for it.. either way to be fair, I dont mind, but making an entrance that zones you into the scene.. thats all I needed :D

PS i am aware you can sort of do it now, but.. it would be easier to have some kinda "opening" to walk into rather than trying to build stones etc round it to make it feel that way

25. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

My desire is that the caves and holes will be sort of like working with voxels, meaning if you make a hole it's not just a hole in the terrain, but leaves an inner surface that doesn't need tricks to fix.
    Maybe that's what's already planned.

MCrafterzz likes this.
  26. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

I defently don't think it's planned as it's a heightmap terrain and not a voxel terrain

hippocoder likes this.
  27. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Yeah, I don't want a voxel terrain, but would like something more than just a blank space after the editing.

28. elbows

elbows

Its an important technical feature that eliminates a number of technical issues, its not a complete solution to caves etc on its own, but its an important piece of the puzzle.

29. creat327

creat327

There is already a tool for that for $15, terrain holes (on the asset store) that used to make a hole on the terrain and put caves or whatever on it. I doubt that will be done by default on the terrain system since that's just placing rocks or whatever you want on the terrain edges. Easily done with external tools and it's really not part of a terrain engine unless you are doing a voxel terrain.

Don-Gray likes this.
  30. elbows

elbows

The bit of documentation that was added to the info thread yesterday is also helpful at spelling out what this feature does and not do, and what areas of the engine take account of these holes.

Terrain Holes

bugfinders and Don-Gray like this.
  31. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Thanks for the additional info guys!
    Doesn't look too bad, will check out Asset Store to see what they offer.

32. id0

id0

So when HDRP terrain shader will support holes? Now it doesn't.

33. bugfinders

bugfinders

I tried that, but the navmesh freaks out so you cant use navmesh to control items into it.. which rendered it somewhat frustrating

34. aleksei_unity

aleksei_unity

Unity Technologies

HDRP and LWRP will be supporting terrain holes.

bugfinders and MCrafterzz like this.