Search Unity

Terrain Hole System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Venryx, May 13, 2013.

1. Venryx

Venryx

No, I submitted with 5.2.1f1, but I'll PM you the package.

2. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Awesome! Thanks... I'll let you know if I have any issues with it on 5.1.3. Might be a couple days before I can test.

3. Recon03

Recon03

Thanks.

4. Despellanion

Despellanion

I am also looking for a way to make transparent holes in my terrain for caves and have been reading through this whole thread about feedback and issues with this plugin. Reading all the issues that people seem to encounter I am unsure if this plugin is the right one for me? It seems pretty unstable and unpredictable from what I've read, or am I wrong? My terrain is pretty complex so I need a reliable solution. My projects uses deferred rendering, linear color space, terrain casts shadows and there are a few image effects. Thanks for any answers.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  5. Venryx

Venryx

Yeah, shaders are kind of messy because they work quite differently for different graphics setups. So there are lots of edge cases you have to fix, that you didn't notice yourself because you had a different setup.

That's why in the future, I'm thinking of mostly sticking with code-based plugins. : ) If you want to have a look at a plugin where the author has to constantly deal with tiny issues like seen in this thread, take a look here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/206516 Throughout that thread, there are probably literally hundreds of issues that people have brought up that he's needed to help them correct, or to fix within the shader/manager code.

That said, the plugin is more stable now than it used to be.

For your specific needs ("My projects uses deferred rendering, linear color space, terrain casts shadows and there are a few image effects."), it should work as expected, as I think that's the default setup (other than the image effects, which I don't think would be a problem).

Well here's what I can do: If it doesn't work for your setup, I can just give you a refund through Paypal. (assuming I can't fix it easily)

Would be disappointing for you if that occurred (as you'd then have to find another solution), but it's the easiest response atm (even at a monetary loss), since time is more important than money for me right now.

6. Despellanion

Despellanion

Thanks for the quick response. Does it also work with DX11?

7. Venryx

Venryx

Last time I checked, yes.

8. Despellanion

Despellanion

Thank you. Everything seems to work fine so far, even with the image effects.

9. br20o0ly

br20o0ly

normalmap is dose not work in this shader it useless for me i've waste my time and money

10. Venryx

Venryx

Is the bump-mapping in the "Terrain Hole System/Demos/Bump-Mapped Shader/Demo.unity" scene not what you were looking for?

Unfortunately, I only just now read up on the difference between normal maps and bump-maps (http://blog.digitaltutors.com/bump-normal-and-displacement-maps). I sort of skimmed over, so I still don't know exactly what differs, but I take it normal maps are more realistic.

Does the default Unity terrain shader use normal-mapping then? If so, that may actually be what my shader uses as well (I didn't know there was a difference before, so I just called it "bump-mapping" in the plugin).

If there is a difference between the mapping in the demo scene mentioned above, and that of the default Unity shader, that's something I'll try to look into next time I work on the plugin. (afaik, I didn't change any code regarding bump/normal mapping)

11. tremault

tremault

Hello,
    please can you make it possible to view alpha blended materials through this? I have water type texture that uses alpha blended texture. a transparent texture can work I have tested this, but that doesn't give the faded edges I desire. like, I'm creating a canal. the edges of the water in hte canal need to look faded. so I need this alpha blended material to be visible through the terrain hole.
    Thanks!!

12. Venryx

Venryx

Sorry, that's outside of my range of experience. I could learn it, of course, but that's outside my intended workload for this extension. Perhaps try asking for help in the Graphics>Shader forum, or on Unity Answers.

13. tremault

tremault

I'm trying to paint snow on my terrain but it's glowing for some reason. it\s glowing through the billboard trees. it's stopping me from having mountains with snow on them because they glow through the trees. I don't know why this texture is glowing. it looks normal on the default material. (as opposed to the THS)

14. Venryx

Venryx

1) What version of Unity?

2) Also, what happens if you replace the texture for the currently-has-snow slot, to one of the first 4 textures? Does it still show through the trees? Does it still have the glowing/too-bright effect?

15. crazy_coder1

crazy_coder1

I am having trouble what do you put the "object fall through" script onto my fps controller and it couldn't so I added it to my terrain and it still wouldn't let my player pass through even though I used the transparent texture that the pack gave me. can someone please help me. and I tried to paint it onto a texture I already had but wasn't from the terrain hole pack

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  16. Venryx

Venryx

Put it on your character (as described in the Documentation folder's files). (What do you mean by, "and it couldn't"? Did an error occur?)

Please follow the Documention folder's instructions, then tell me what step fails.

(Also, it's probably a good idea to open the demo scene and make sure that works, first.)

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  17. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I've just bought the asset, and I'm trying to use it to keep the terrain from poking through my roads. It works for the most part, but areas that used the stone texture are now glowing:

Those slopes are much brighter than they used to be (and this is because of the rock texture; if I paint over with the ground texture, the glow goes away). I'm using Terrain_Material from the demos, which uses the TRI/THS/Basic shader; Forward rendering; and I've tried with shadows on and shadows off.

Any idea what's gone wrong here, and how to fix it?

18. Venryx

Venryx

I tried importing the plugin into the latest version of Unity (5.3.4f1), and noticed a similar issue with the lighting when more than 4 texture were used. Is this true also for your situation?

If so (and probably even if not), I think I've managed to fix the issue. I'll be uploading the next version of the plugin in few days, but till then I've uploaded the new version to Google Drive. I'll PM you the zip for it.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  19. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Yes, I have 5 textures here.

I'll try the new version today and let you know if there are still any problems!

Thanks,
    - Joe

20. Pat19645

Pat19645

Hi,
    i just bought this, i can make holes in the terrain, but i don't fall through it.
    I'm using unity 5.3.2f1. Also added 'ObjectFallThrough' script to my player, but he walks over it..
    Am i doing something wrong?

Patrick

21. Venryx

Venryx

Probably. Have you tried the Demo scene first to make sure the plugin works?

If not, try that.

If the demo scene does work, then try comparing your player-setup to the demo scene's player-setup, and work out the differences/what could be making yours not work currently.

22. Pat19645

Pat19645

Thanks for the help, works now. :)

Venryx likes this.
  23. SazanOFF

SazanOFF

Hi. is work for Unity 5.3?

24. SazanOFF

SazanOFF

And work with more then 4 splat maps?

25. Venryx

Venryx

Yes, it works for Unity 5.3.

Yes, it should work for more than 4 splatmaps.

(it did last time I tried anyway 0_0; I haven't worked on/used it for quite a while--basically just occasional bug-fixes when people mention them now)

26. SazanOFF

SazanOFF

Thx. But you have Standart based shader for terrain?

27. SazanOFF

SazanOFF

Hi! Very good Asset, holes work fine, but found one problem with my roads. (use transparent shader) have ideas for fix? Thx.

Screen with Problem:
    upload_2016-8-2_0-47-30.png

Normal screen: upload_2016-8-2_0-49-5.png

28. Venryx

Venryx

What version of Unity are you using? 5.4.0f3? 5.3 something?

Also, what render mode are you using? Forward, deferred?

29. SazanOFF

SazanOFF

Thx for reply.
    I have:
    Unity 5.3.5f1
    Deffered Rendering Path

30. Venryx

Venryx

PM sent.

31. KillerNads

KillerNads

Hi,

Just purchased your pack and using the latest Unity build 5.5.0f3.

I need some help please. Ive setup my terrain according to the manual. Everything works when the Lightning button in the scene view is toggled off! But as soon as i switch it to ON, the holes i create in the terrain suddenly just turn completely black!

In my camera im using Rendering Path = Deffered! Ideally i would like to continue using that please. Although i did try to switch to "Use Graphics Settings". As soon as i do this with the lighting toggled on the transparency works again, HOWEVER when i start the Game Mode, this setting automatically defaults back to Deffered and again the transparency is black?!?!

Please can you help with this, like i said earlier ideally i would like to continue to use Deffered and not another setting please.

Thanks!

32. KillerNads

KillerNads

Really need some help with this Asset!! Is the creator still around or have they stopped supporting and abandoned there asset? Ive messaged on here and also tried private message but still no response! :(

33. Venryx

Venryx

Can you try opening the plugin and demo scene in a brand new project?

It seems to work just fine in deferred mode for me, with lighting enabled.

This is in Unity 5.6 instead of 5.5, but it should work in both since not many breaking graphics changes were made between the two, as far as I know.

If the plugin demo scene doesn't work even in a brand new project, then could you try opening it in Unity 5.6 beta here? https://unity3d.com/unity/beta

That will confirm whether it's a platform/machine problem, or rather just a Unity-version problem which was then fixed.

Thanks.

34. KillerNads

KillerNads

okay thanks Venryx ill give that a check soon.

At the moment i just switched to Use Graphics Settings instead for my Rendering. The problem with this though is that for SSR Camera effect to work, Rendering has to be in Deffered mode. Im using the asset: Plawius-ScreenSpaceReflections for this.

But even in Graphics Settings, im getting one issue with shadows! The hole in the ground which i made transparent and turned into a swimming pool has the shadows hitting on top of it like the terrain is still there. I cant find anyway to prevent this swimming pool not to receive shadows.

The swimming pool is actually under the transparent ground terrain, so that is not the problem. The problem is the floating shadow on top of this. I need Shadows to remain for my game so can not turn them off completely. Any help with this please?

35. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

It has been a while since I have played around with making caves in my environment with this. But I recall having similar issues. I did like @Venryx suggested above and after some playing around, I found that I was having conflicts with another asset/script. I can't remember what it was now, but was able to get it to work correctly after resolving it. Might take a little poking around with your other stuff to see. That is one of the fun things about combining assets. Getting them all to play well together is sometimes an adventure... heheh

36. Venryx

Venryx

Okay. If you still have problems in Unity 5.6, we can work from there.

That issue doesn't occur in deferred mode, last time I checked. So once we solve the deferred mode graphics this should be solved at the same time.

In the mean time, you could try sinking the terrain in that area beneath the pool entirely -- it's not ideal, but may work, depending on the pool edge shape.

37. MatthiasDeo

MatthiasDeo

Has anyone here had any luck using this with CTS?

38. mattis89

mattis89

Hello! I just bought this asset... I tested the demo scene but i just paints black? no transparacey.. and I dont know how to set it up... when I made a new material and set the shader to what it says TRI/THS/Basic my terrain gets invisible....?

EDIT;
    NVM, I got it =), please cts support?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  39. kc8pnd

kc8pnd

Hello Venryx, Just wondering how to get a clear route when baking navigation through a terrain. Is it possible?

40. Venryx

Venryx

41. mattis89

mattis89

Hello!

I have a super problem.. I sent you an email too!
    1st issue: When I add the material needed for the terrain so the holes are transparent, my whole terrain gets lighter? (realyl dosent matther because Im using a terrain shader too, wich brings me to my 2nd problem)

2nd issue; When I apply Adams CTS - Terrain Shader wich is somehow profile based , my cave entrances just gets painted over.... I saw the "how to" in the docs, but I dont get really get it ... Dosent find anything..

42. Venryx

Venryx

Reply sent.

43. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

Just imported this into Unity 2017.3, and as soon as the import was complete, it instantly made my existing terrain disappear completely, even though it is still in the scene. What is going on here, and how do I get my terrain back to a visible state? I dread to think what will happen when I actually try to use it! Thanks.

44. Venryx

Venryx

There was an issue where the shader was getting applied even before setup. The attached package (in the email I just sent) is an updated version which will not be applied until you do the setup instructions as given in the Manual.txt file. (create a custom material with the "TRI/THS/Standard" shader, then drag it onto the terrain's "custom material" slot in Settings; to add object fall-through, follow the rest of the instructions)

Sorry if the disappearance caused alarm! No data was lost, it just was not rendering because the setup was not complete.

Note: I've also uploaded the new version to the Asset Store. (though it will take a few days to be accepted)

KillerNads likes this.
  45. r35

r35

I just bought your asset, but making a very small hole for a golf game with brush is almost impossible.
    If I size up to a resolution like 4096, it's too heavy for just a single tiny hole.
    Can you tell me how to set up the workarounds what you've mentioned?
    thx!

46. Venryx

Venryx

Hi r35, there are three options I can think of.

1) Instead of using a hole for this case, just lower the part of the terrain around the hole, and then add a 3d model with the hole added, and the grass texture. It might take some fiddling, but you should be able to get it to look fine with careful positioning/scaling/tiling-offset, assuming the hole will be over a flat area of terrain.

2) Look for if there's some sort of "terrain splitter" extension on the asset store. If there is, it might be possible to "split off" the parts of terrain around the holes, letting you up the resolution for just those small areas, without bogging performance too much. I personally doubt someone has written a good splitter yet that could be used for this, but there's a chance.

3) Modify the shader such that it procedurally adds holes in the terrain surface graphics, based on distance of the pixel from the given hole world-positions. You would also have to then change the "Object Fall Through" script to enable/disable physics for the ball<>terrain collision at those same points.

Granted, option 3 may be beyond your experience level at this point, but it's also probably the most robust. Unfortunately, I have not been using Unity for many months now, so am not of much help. Perhaps make a new thread on the forum asking for help on this. There might also be people who have already asked questions of this sort, in which case you could copy their solutions.

Actually, there's another option which is probably better than these, however you might not like it... Instead of having it be an actual hole, just add a plane over that area with a "black circle" texture. Maybe with a decal system (there are some good ones on the asset store), so it lands perfectly over the terrain even if it's not flat. In that case, it wouldn't look quite as nice probably, but it's also the easiest option, and least likely to have complications. If you need the ball to fall in when it gets there, you can add a trigger collider at that position, and a script that makes the ball fall down when it hits the trigger collider (either by disabling collisions between the ball and the terrain, or by manually manipulating/animating the ball position). You can search for how to do each of these things on the forums -- I know they've been covered before.

47. Notso

Notso

So.. (Demo scene works, was able to draw black on ground and hit update transparency map to get the new holes to show)
    I read through these and I am sure my solution is 1 or more but...
    I made a material, changed to Custom on terrain, added it and then added the script and POOF, disappearing terrain. (Also changes material to geometry to match yours same issue)
    (I also used your material from the demo scene...same issue)
    If I change Alpha cutoff to 0 or below (-) it shows now shows up but as all black.
    I screen shotted your setup to follow and made a new a scene, same issue.
    What am I missing?

Unity 20181.6f1
    Just purchased so whatever version is on Unity store (1.4.1 I think)

Well I got it working but the directions are backwards for me.
    1) Assign the Transparent texture
    2) Make my hole
    3) Assign the script
    4) Update transparency map
    5) Assign the custom material

And it worked.....now I can draw as normal but no idea why it worked doing it backwards like this.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  48. kidne

kidne

I just got Unity 2018.3, I've been using this on a 5.6 project and I ended up having to upgrade. Opened a brand new project and all I'm getting is this

If I have to downgrade to a lower version of 2018 I will, but if there's a fix I don't know about I'd like to know.

49. kidne

kidne

@Venryx
    Do you have an updated version of the shader code for 2018?

50. esustachah

esustachah

@Venryx

Hello, just wondering when are you expecting to release an update for 2018.3.2

Thanks.