Search Unity

Terrain - Grass Shadow Question

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by daveinpublic, Jan 1, 2020.

1. daveinpublic

daveinpublic

On terrain, there seems to be a cloud shadow going across all my grass/flowers. I see controls in the terrain's settings to change the wind speed and direction and all that, but I don't see any options to control these cloud shadows. I play the game, and I see spots of light and dark going across my entire terrain.

It even looks kind of cool, but the problem is that it looks far too dreary when the clouds cover it completely which it does almost all the time. If I could at least change some of the settings to make the shadow lighter, or the speed different or the density of the clouds different, or fewer clouds, it would work. Worse case scenario, if there were no settings, I'd just turn off the cloud shadows completely. But I don't even see that.

I haven't been able to find anything online or in the manual about this.

Thanks - David

2. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Shadows are mostly controlled from the caster, not the receiver. So you need to look at where the shadows are coming from, rather than the terrain they're being cast on. In this case I'd look at your sun light to see if it has a cookie attached, or your sky/environment system if you have one to see if it has cloud shadow settings.

If that doesn't help then a screenshot of the effect you're seeing and your scene hierarchy would be great, because right now all we can do is guess.

Also, for future reference, General Discussion isn't a support area.

3. Stardog

Stardog

No way to control them. Even after the latest terrain updates.

If Unity made their own games they would care about this stuff.

Try GPU Instancer instead. It's better in a lot of other ways too. You can choose grass start/end distances meaning you can have grass that draws very far away, but not very dense, and then dense grass close up.

4. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Asking the wrong question.

The question is, "how does lighting and shadows work in unity?" That's all in the manual. You got to have a general understanding so that you can troubleshoot. Don't have to be expert by any means so don't be intimidated. But you need to spend some weeks reading and experimenting in order to grasp the basics.

5. neoshaman

neoshaman

Do you have an image? it sound like the perlin tint unity used to give variety to grass.

6. Stardog

Stardog

It's the tint you are mentioning. It also animates and you can't control it in the terrain settings.

7. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

The grass tint does not animate, and you can control it from the terrain settings. Double check the manual.

8. Stardog

Stardog

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020