Search Unity

Terrain generation in Blender

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by bigkahuna, Sep 2, 2006.

1. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I just created my first terrain mesh in Blender and it was a piece of cake! I created a 32x32 "grid" and used the new "mesh sculpt" tools to push, pull and smooth the mesh to the desired relief. I could have also used the new texture feature, but didn't want that effect for this terrain. Last step was to set the UV's and I was done. I used a stock "dirt" texture I had that included a grayscale bumpmap, imported that with conversion and voila, done. Whole process took maybe 2 minutes. It was so easy I can't wait to try something more complex.

I'd include a screen shot, but since it's a deep, underwater terrain you don't really see much. but when it's lit by a light it looks -perfect-.

2. Samantha

Samantha

I'm intrigued... but I can't find the sculpt tool for mac, only for windows/linux.

3. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

4. Samantha

Samantha

I tried downloading that one, but even when I put it in my blender folder, I get one bounce and then it exits. It is an intel build only?

5. nickavv

nickavv

Mine works fine. The sculpt tools seem a bit unrefined. They completely mess up when working with a cube, but Planes work a little bit. Good enough to do some random, bumpy landscapes, or sharp jagged ones. :)

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

No...you need Python 2.4. It doesn't work with Python 2.3.

--Eric

7. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Huh? How refined your sculpt is may be because your mesh isn't dense enough. Have you tried subdividing a couple times before sculpting?

8. nickavv

nickavv

Yeah, I subdivided a lot. Unrefined as in, I can't get it to do exactly what I want, or sometimes it won't even do anything at all, but It's mostly working. Also in the sculpt version of blender, the X, Y, and Z arrows don't show up for moving your model.

9. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Works fine here, with cubes or anything else. And, the arrows show up if you turn the 3D transform manipulator on. I never use that though; the keyboard commands are faster for everything.

--Eric

10. harrio

harrio

i'm going to be testing different 3d terrain apps for pc with crossovermac...www.codeweavers.com
    i'm enlisting in their advocate program to get the apps supported by codeweaver. anyone else is welcome to try also. i figure if i can get good apps designed for 3d game terrain running on my intel-mac then that will compliment the art pipeline even more. the beta download is free for 60 days and installs easily so feel free to give it a try. i think this will be big for the mac game dev community. imagine tools like genetica within our grasp...oooooh