Search Unity

Terrain Former - The Best Manual Terrain Sculpting Tools for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AquaGeneral, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Thanks for the tool.

AquaGeneral likes this.
  2. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Terrain Former v1.7.10 is out now! https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/terrain-former-20052

1.7.10 - 19th of September, 2019
    Improvements:

- Improved the performance of the Mould tool.
    - Moderate source-code cleanup

Fixes:
    - Mould tool was using the cursor's capsule collider when a Scriptable Render Pipeline is being used.
    - Fixed array-out-bounds error with the Mould tool.
    - Full support for Unity 2020.1 alpha and earlier versions. All deprecation warnings have been addressed.
    - Fixed an issue where sculpting would not behave as expected after importing a heightmap.

Don-Gray likes this.
  3. gecko

gecko

This is a great tool -- the Expand tool is worth the price right there. There's no way to do something similar, but which uses an offset from the height of the terrain -- for example, with a -1m offset, it would dig a 1 meter deep trench. Vice versa to create a ridge 1m above the terrain. Is that possible to do now, or possibly something you might add?

thanks
    Dave

4. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Hi Dave!

Luckily it would be very easy to add that via hardcoding it (with the potential to create an explicit user-interface for it) just by changing line #100 in FlattenCommand.cs from:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. cachedHeight = TerrainFormerEditor.heightsCopy1[y + ySamplesOffset, x + xSamplesOffset];
    To something like:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. cachedHeight = TerrainFormerEditor.heightsCopy1[y + ySamplesOffset, x + xSamplesOffset] - 0.002f

Where the 0.002f is your desired offset (positive or negative) divided by the height of your terrain. So if your terrain is 500 units in height and you want to sculpt a 1m trench, it would be:
    1.0 / 500.0 = 0.002f.

gecko likes this.
  5. gecko

gecko

awesome, thanks! Would love to see that as a proper tool, but I'll try this out!

6. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Hello there is a bug in a new version I try to mould to mesh and what it do is upload_2019-12-3_15-4-15.png let me know if you could fix that I'm using 2018.4 unity

7. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

I found why it happend when terrain has Y position value changed upload_2019-12-3_15-46-27.png

8. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Hi Jakub, sorry for the somewhat late response (I usually reply in under 24 hours). I'll send you an email with the exact version of Terrain Former I have to see if that has a fixed I haven't made public yet.

9. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Thanks for fast support! and fix, Will try it and let you know ;)

10. gecko

gecko

Hey, I am finally getting back to this, but I can't get it to work. I've pasted in this code, and tried increasing that variable substantially, and then use....well, not sure which tool I should use -- so I tried Extend, Bridge and Flatten, none worked any differently than before. What am I missing?

thanks

11. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Okay, It looks like I was looking at the part that handled Control+LMB, which means that actually what you want is not possible without a decent chunk of work.

Sorry about that :(

12. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Terrain Former v1.7.11 is out now with a fix to a major bug with the mould tool. Thanks everyone for letting me know about it!

1.7.11 - 19th of February, 2020
    Improvements
    • Minor shader code refactoring
    • Minor C# code refactoring.
    • Improved the look of the Brush Preview's Grid (an optional feature found in Settings).
    • Mould tool no longer has a default offset, this is to make it less confusing when working at a small scale.
    Fixes
    • Fixed an issue where the Mould tool was not working correctly in most circumstances.
    • Fixed a error when reimporting/importing a brush while the Settings tool was active.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  13. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello,

I purchased the asset last night, but I'm having difficulty being able to see the brush on the terrain, it does not appear at all with most modes, the only mode the brush seem to work as intended with is flatten.

Can you please let me know if I'm doing something wrong, or if it's a bug. If it's not a bug, I believe being able to see the brush on terrain should be a default setting. I've attempted to look through and try some preference settings but nothing helped. Not being able to see the brush on the terrain effectively makes the asset useless, any help is appreciated, thanks.

Unity 2019.4.9 LTS

14. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Hi Stephen,

Apologies for the issue you discovered. I have discovered now at some point in the past year or so, Unity has changed the default (old) Render Pipeline terrain shaders to no longer receive projectors (despite the keyword not being set to do so). This means that the only way for me to solve this is to redraw the terrain with my own shader but I am not sure if there will be any more "gotchas" with that.

I have made a workaround regardless which enables the newer "cylinder" cursor that's automatically being used when using the Universal or HD Render Pipelines. The only downside to this is the texture is not projected onto the terraim, though a plane is used in place to preview the texture. I can send you this fix early before it's made available on the Unity Asset Store but I can't send you a DM on here. Send me a DM/private message on here with your email address and I'll send it ASAP.

Stephen_O likes this.
  15. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I appreciate you making a fix, and the insight; I know it's a pain what they are doing with rendering, seems to be impacting all assets in some way unfortunately.

I can wait for it to be available on the store.

Thanks for a quick resolution.

16. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

I'm happy to help! :D

Indeed. I'm extremely curious about what Unity are doing about the fragmentation caused by the new render pipelines, and even just what the plan is now in general.

I have submitted the new version to the Unity Asset Store, and it should be publically available within a matter of days.

Stephen_O likes this.
  17. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

@Stephen_O The update has been out for a few days already, but I completely forgot about posting about it here... so here it goes.

1.7.12 - 5th of September, 2020
    Improvements

• TinyJSON (used with Terrain Former in Unity 5.4 and earlier) has been updated to the latest version at this time.
    • The alternative (and now universally used) cylindrical cursor style now draws behind occluded objects, but with a darker colour.
    Fixes:
    • The newer cylindrical preview cursor is now used at all times instead of the projector since it has total compatability with all Unity versions and Render Pipelines.
    • Fixed warnings in all versions of Unity.
    • Minor code improvements.

Stephen_O likes this.
  18. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Awesome thank you, I never check the Unity asset store notifications since they're buried!

I just did a quick test and this is much better, I appreciate the quick resolution, thanks again :)

AquaGeneral likes this.
  19. PartyBoat

PartyBoat

@AquaGeneral Looks like a bug was introduced to Terrain Former's preview cursor, luckily it's easy to reproduce.

By the way, I didn't mention this in the video but the only way to get these copies of the preview cursor to disappear is by restarting the editor.

20. vertexx

vertexx

Always worry about user reviewers and how they say things like..Unfortunately Unity update broke this or that, and things like "had to reach out to dev to resolve this or that.
    There seems to be a lot of it happening. Just wish users/reviewers would state what they asked for and how this was resolved and what was "wrong".. Does not inspire confidence that so many "faults" needed to be "resolved"!

21. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

I was wondering at first why I didn't catch that, but indeed it does require the cursor to still be "hitting" offscreen the terrain when also changing selection.

I've fixed this now (the topPlaneGameObject wasn't being destroyed ever, only disabled), and I'm going through the source code once again to simplify and clean it up (it's showing its age versus my current skills).

I agree that this is quite troubling, and I don't have much of an excuse for all these faults other than not being able to test enough (well and other personal issues but they're not worth getting into). As a result I do make it my #1 priority to fix any reported bugs within the same day of being notified about them.

22. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

That was my review, and only meant to contrast the difference between most assets, which are deprecated when Unity changes API functions because an author does not want to update their asset; and this author's asset, who was immediately responsive when inquiring, going so far as to offer a hot fix that night.

It's a 5 star review, but if you prefer I will just delete the review, did not mean to cause problems, or for customers to assume my 5 star means the asset is bad. I appreciate your tool, efforts, and commitment to providing quality service. Thank you for everything, and let me know if my review is harming you. Sorry for any problems.

AquaGeneral likes this.
  23. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Oh no, no problems on your end :) And thanks for the kind words!

I don't think there's a problem with reviewers mentioning what @vertexx said, but rather it's a side-effect of the current state of Unity, and to a large extent its up to the asset publisher too (like myself of course).

Stephen_O likes this.
  24. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

And just like that, a fix for the issue @PartyBoat discovered has been fixed and should arrive on the Unity Asset Store in a matter of days.
    1.7.13 - 5th of November, 2020
    Fixes:

• Fixed brush preview remaining present after selecting another object.
    • Fixed appearance of Scene View information when using the dark theme.
    Improvements:
    • Some source code cleanup.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    Stephen_O likes this.
  25. PartyBoat

PartyBoat

Thanks! The quick turnaround is highly appreciated! :)

Stephen_O and AquaGeneral like this.
  26. PartyBoat

PartyBoat

@AquaGeneral Hey I'm back! I was optimizing my keybindings today and I noticed that Terrain Former doesn't support the F1-F12 keys. Luckily it's a super quick and low-effort fix, here's the code:

Code (CSharp):
    1. // Shortcut.cs
    3. private static string ConvertKeyCodeToString(KeyCode keyCode) {
    4.     switch(keyCode) {
    5.         case KeyCode.F1:
    6.             return "F1";
    7.         case KeyCode.F2:
    8.             return "F2";
    9.         case KeyCode.F3:
    10.             return "F3";
    11.         case KeyCode.F4:
    12.             return "F4";
    13.         case KeyCode.F5:
    14.             return "F5";
    15.         case KeyCode.F6:
    16.             return "F6";
    17.         case KeyCode.F7:
    18.             return "F7";
    19.         case KeyCode.F8:
    20.             return "F8";
    21.         case KeyCode.F9:
    22.             return "F9";
    23.         case KeyCode.F10:
    24.             return "F10";
    25.         case KeyCode.F11:
    26.             return "F11";
    27.         case KeyCode.F12:
    28.             return "F12";
    30.         //...
    On a related note I was able to get my MB4/MB5 mouse buttons setup as macros and now changing brush size, speed, rotation, etc. is super fast and easy while still maintaining my WASD hand position that lets me fly around the scene. I highly recommend this type of setup if your mouse software supports it. Here's what my shortcuts look like if anyone's interested:

You can see the brush speed, size, and rotation are all weird keybinds because my MB4/MB5 are set to respond as continuous pressing of Alt+F1 and Alt+F2 respectively (for Unity.exe only — the downside here of course being that you need to setup this application specific macro setting for every version of Unity and every upgrade, but it still seems worth it to me). This particular keybinding setup only conflicts with Unity's default shortcuts for one key and that's the "2" key. Personally, I just unbound the Unity conflicts as I never really used the existing shortcuts.

Anyways, hope that helps/inspires others using this asset!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  27. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Good stuff! I will make a note to add support for F1-F12 keys in the future.

28. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Good tool 10/10 rating!

AquaGeneral likes this.
  29. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

(no, this is not April Fools :p)

Due to landing a new job, and Terrain Former showing its age I have decided to open-source Terrain Former and offer it for free on the Unity Asset Store.

You can now find it on GitHub: https://github.com/AquaGeneral/Terrain-Former

Support may be limited for now on, but unless there's a massive influx of users I should be able to help still.