Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Terrain Former - The Best Manual Terrain Sculpting Tools for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AquaGeneral, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Thanks for the tool.

AquaGeneral likes this.
  2. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Terrain Former v1.7.10 is out now! https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/terrain-former-20052

1.7.10 - 19th of September, 2019
    Improvements:

- Improved the performance of the Mould tool.
    - Moderate source-code cleanup

Fixes:
    - Mould tool was using the cursor's capsule collider when a Scriptable Render Pipeline is being used.
    - Fixed array-out-bounds error with the Mould tool.
    - Full support for Unity 2020.1 alpha and earlier versions. All deprecation warnings have been addressed.
    - Fixed an issue where sculpting would not behave as expected after importing a heightmap.

Don-Gray likes this.
  3. gecko

gecko

This is a great tool -- the Expand tool is worth the price right there. There's no way to do something similar, but which uses an offset from the height of the terrain -- for example, with a -1m offset, it would dig a 1 meter deep trench. Vice versa to create a ridge 1m above the terrain. Is that possible to do now, or possibly something you might add?

thanks
    Dave

4. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Hi Dave!

Luckily it would be very easy to add that via hardcoding it (with the potential to create an explicit user-interface for it) just by changing line #100 in FlattenCommand.cs from:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. cachedHeight = TerrainFormerEditor.heightsCopy1[y + ySamplesOffset, x + xSamplesOffset];
    To something like:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. cachedHeight = TerrainFormerEditor.heightsCopy1[y + ySamplesOffset, x + xSamplesOffset] - 0.002f

Where the 0.002f is your desired offset (positive or negative) divided by the height of your terrain. So if your terrain is 500 units in height and you want to sculpt a 1m trench, it would be:
    1.0 / 500.0 = 0.002f.

gecko likes this.
  5. gecko

gecko

awesome, thanks! Would love to see that as a proper tool, but I'll try this out!

6. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Hello there is a bug in a new version I try to mould to mesh and what it do is upload_2019-12-3_15-4-15.png let me know if you could fix that I'm using 2018.4 unity

7. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

I found why it happend when terrain has Y position value changed upload_2019-12-3_15-46-27.png

8. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Hi Jakub, sorry for the somewhat late response (I usually reply in under 24 hours). I'll send you an email with the exact version of Terrain Former I have to see if that has a fixed I haven't made public yet.

9. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Thanks for fast support! and fix, Will try it and let you know ;)

10. gecko

gecko

Hey, I am finally getting back to this, but I can't get it to work. I've pasted in this code, and tried increasing that variable substantially, and then use....well, not sure which tool I should use -- so I tried Extend, Bridge and Flatten, none worked any differently than before. What am I missing?

thanks

11. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Okay, It looks like I was looking at the part that handled Control+LMB, which means that actually what you want is not possible without a decent chunk of work.

Sorry about that :(

12. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Terrain Former v1.7.11 is out now with a fix to a major bug with the mould tool. Thanks everyone for letting me know about it!

1.7.11 - 19th of February, 2020
    Improvements
    • Minor shader code refactoring
    • Minor C# code refactoring.
    • Improved the look of the Brush Preview's Grid (an optional feature found in Settings).
    • Mould tool no longer has a default offset, this is to make it less confusing when working at a small scale.
    Fixes
    • Fixed an issue where the Mould tool was not working correctly in most circumstances.
    • Fixed a error when reimporting/importing a brush while the Settings tool was active.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  13. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello,

I purchased the asset last night, but I'm having difficulty being able to see the brush on the terrain, it does not appear at all with most modes, the only mode the brush seem to work as intended with is flatten.

Can you please let me know if I'm doing something wrong, or if it's a bug. If it's not a bug, I believe being able to see the brush on terrain should be a default setting. I've attempted to look through and try some preference settings but nothing helped. Not being able to see the brush on the terrain effectively makes the asset useless, any help is appreciated, thanks.

Unity 2019.4.9 LTS

14. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Hi Stephen,

Apologies for the issue you discovered. I have discovered now at some point in the past year or so, Unity has changed the default (old) Render Pipeline terrain shaders to no longer receive projectors (despite the keyword not being set to do so). This means that the only way for me to solve this is to redraw the terrain with my own shader but I am not sure if there will be any more "gotchas" with that.

I have made a workaround regardless which enables the newer "cylinder" cursor that's automatically being used when using the Universal or HD Render Pipelines. The only downside to this is the texture is not projected onto the terraim, though a plane is used in place to preview the texture. I can send you this fix early before it's made available on the Unity Asset Store but I can't send you a DM on here. Send me a DM/private message on here with your email address and I'll send it ASAP.

Stephen_O likes this.
  15. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I appreciate you making a fix, and the insight; I know it's a pain what they are doing with rendering, seems to be impacting all assets in some way unfortunately.

I can wait for it to be available on the store.

Thanks for a quick resolution.

16. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

I'm happy to help! :D

Indeed. I'm extremely curious about what Unity are doing about the fragmentation caused by the new render pipelines, and even just what the plan is now in general.

I have submitted the new version to the Unity Asset Store, and it should be publically available within a matter of days.

Stephen_O likes this.
  17. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

@Stephen_O The update has been out for a few days already, but I completely forgot about posting about it here... so here it goes.

1.7.12 - 5th of September, 2020
    Improvements

• TinyJSON (used with Terrain Former in Unity 5.4 and earlier) has been updated to the latest version at this time.
    • The alternative (and now universally used) cylindrical cursor style now draws behind occluded objects, but with a darker colour.
    Fixes:
    • The newer cylindrical preview cursor is now used at all times instead of the projector since it has total compatability with all Unity versions and Render Pipelines.
    • Fixed warnings in all versions of Unity.
    • Minor code improvements.

Stephen_O likes this.
  18. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Awesome thank you, I never check the Unity asset store notifications since they're buried!

I just did a quick test and this is much better, I appreciate the quick resolution, thanks again :)

AquaGeneral likes this.
unityunity