Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrain for Sharp Elevation Changes

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by AcornBringer, Dec 16, 2017.

1. AcornBringer

AcornBringer

I have a platform in my game that sticks up out of the main terrain in my game. At the top of the platform is supposed to be more terrain with varying elevation, grass detail, and terrain textures however the border of the platform isn't a square so if I add a normal terrain up there, the corners and edges of the terrain will stick out from the sides of the platform.

My solution was to make the terrain for the top of the platform be higher resolution so I could push the terrain geometry that sticks out down below the main terrain and push up the terrain along the borders of the platform so there were no polygons curving down on and nothing was sticking out.

My problem is that now with this higher resolution terrain created, if I try to add any details, it will quickly begin slowing down performance. The grass details I paint on the elevated terrain are no more dense than what I use on my main terrain with out problems.

Does anyone know a solution to this issue or maybe an alternative approach to the elevated terrain?