Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrain expectations

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by douglassophies, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. douglassophies

douglassophies

I have a couple of questions about what to expect from the new terrain.
    1) Will it ever be possible to change the terrain size without it scaling the whole terrain? For example if i move from 500 to 400 wide and the last 1/5ft of the terrain had a hill on it, i would want that hill to disappear rather than having the map scale down to keep the hill but make all the terrain features squished in by 1/5ft. Would be handy if i could choose which side of the square terrain to shrink down so i have control over what is being deleted. Dragging a side of the square terrain in the editor could also let me create new flat terrain.
    2) If that cannot/wont happen then i have another question - The add-on system that is currently in the beta means you create a lot of terrain objects which feels messy. Is there a way to combine them into one object? Perhaps that is not desirable performance wise even if it were possible?

2. Player7

Player7

2) yeah it's not desirable though Unity implementation of tiling terrain is really just half the job, because it still leaves you with the hassle finding or coming up with a better solution to streaming in tiles...

they should have done more with tiles+scenes.. in anycase its still behind Unreal terrain tiling system ...especially if you exclude terrain addons

3. douglassophies

douglassophies

So the expected workflow would be to have many small tiles instead of one big one? I.e In a 500m Sqr. map i might use 2500 1m Sqr. tiles?
    I was thinking the new system would allow me to freely draw the terrain when i am prototyping and then cut away what i dont need at the end to make a more compact map. I guess this is still achievable if i delete all the tiles i didn't use or add new ones if i find i need to keep expanding past my initial limit. But having to change each ones settings individually without even a multi edit seems unfriendly. Would be great to get confirmation if my understanding of it is correct or if there is a better solution waiting to come out.

4. elbows

elbows

LeonhardP likes this.
  5. douglassophies

douglassophies

Ok will do, thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.