Search Unity

Terrain Environment WIP. . . . .

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by nuski, May 12, 2008.

1. nuski

nuski

Hi ! The feature I love most about Unity is the ability to import and view assets immediately! Here are two pics of my first attempt in creating tree, bush and grass assets to develop a densely foliated environment. The tree with the highest poly count is 1921 and the least is 700. Most botanical textures were created in Maya (Paint Effects) and composited in PS. . . .Skybox in Bryce. Tree bark patterns were tiled from pics taken in the woods behind my home. Comments and suggestions welcomed. -paul

Attached Files:

2. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider

Nice. The colors are very close to real-life. Great work.

3. Jessy

Jessy

Yeah, the colors are really nice.

You have kind of an ugly seam on the tree in the first picture, though. I think the best thing to do for the trunk, considering that it will probably be the closest thing the player gets to see on the tree, is to devote an edge-to-edge section of your UV map to it, and treat it like a cylinder. Here is an example where someone did that for the outside of a barrel, devoting the upper half to the top and bottom circles:

http://www.geocities.com/peterchov/BarrelUV.html

If you don't want to repeat the trunk texture on the branches, you could section out smaller pieces of the UV map for those, creating seams on the tops of the branches if necessary.