Search Unity

Terrain engine

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by VeganApps, Oct 30, 2007.

1. VeganApps

VeganApps

Hello,

I didn't have the luck to have a very close look at the terrain engine yet. Only played around with it a little bit.. so I have some very technical questions..

1. Can the trees have colliders ? Also very far away ?
    2. If I fire a rocket which hits a hill far away covered with trees.. will the trees disappear when I "delete" them ?
    3. Can I have different/more than one "main" cameras/objects which are far away from eachother and both show the terrain very detailed (at least for the physics) ?
    4. Can I edit the terrain mesh and texture at runtime ? With an easy script ?
    5. Does the LOD also work fine from a very high position (looking down) ?

These are all for now. :)

2. trypho

trypho

I'm afraid I don't have answers to your questions, DynamicHead, but I would like to tag onto your first one.

There is what appears to be a Terrain Collider component attached to terrain objects. This component has a "Create Tree Colliders" checkbox in it. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to do anything (that I can tell), and I can't find any documentation for it.

So it looks like it is possible to create colliders for trees, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Can anyone help (and answer DynamicHead's other questions)? Thanks!

-BC

3. nickavv

nickavv

To get Tree Colliders you have to put a collider on the original prefab, and THEN click "Create Tree Colliders".

4. VeganApps

VeganApps

Thanks so far.

I also asked in the IRC Channel and sadly they were only speculating about 2) - 5)..

Aras, David, Joe maybe ? :)

5. Unclet

Unclet

Yes, definitely.

6. VeganApps

VeganApps

How I do that ?

7. Unclet

Unclet

Yes, definitely, to this one too. I have a "Map" feature in my game which is currently not much more than an ortho camera looking straight down. Experimenting with setting the camera to perspective mode and moving it to a very high altitude works as expected. Note that you'll need to adjust clipping panes and fog for you to be able to see anything at these high distances...
    [/quote]

8. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Yes. Make a prefab of your tree, add a capsule collider, and check generate tree colliders.

"Not yet", because you can't delete them in the first place.

Yes. I see no problems here.

You can modify the heightmap very easily using the SetHeights function.
    Other modifications are not exposed yet.

No. Sorry.

9. Unclet

Unclet

If I understand your (original) question correctly, there's nothing to it. Set up the cameras as you like. It just works ;)

10. Unclet

Unclet

hmmmm I must've misunderstood the original question. I guess you are referring to tree LOD... anyway, terrain texture LOD (mipmapping) works as expected...

11. VeganApps

VeganApps

Thanks guys.
    I'll start testing it..

Looks like Unity is strong enough to at least start a RTSG now. :D

12. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

I'm quite sure you'll find it so. And while we're not promising any individual feature additions to the terrain system right now, it's clear that we'll do with the terrain system as we do with all of Unity: we keep adding features that are needed by our users.

Just look at our track record (click the bottom links to review changes in previous versions of Unity):

http://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-2.0

d.