Search Unity

Terrain Engine: procedural splats heights

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by benblo, Apr 24, 2008.

1. benblo

benblo

While looking for solutions to highlight parts of the terrain, I drilled deep into undocumented methods and ended up doing a pong game with a terrain!

The interest? thin... it's just a proof of concept of procedurally moving splats and heights.

Gave me ton of ideas for terraforming games though :) ! So little time...

2. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I wondered what the "big deal" was about your demo and then I realized that the paddles and object were part of the terrain! Wow, that's pretty cool! And it's surprisingly fast for what it's doing.

3. hai_ok

hai_ok

This is really cool!
    I love what you're doing with this. keep tinkering. I see a great addition to the genre here.

4. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

This is so increddible inspiring... Thanks!

Cheers

Frank

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

I can already imagine the press text:

"This is how new incarnations of pong are meant: GEO PONG! Use Volcanos, Tsunamis, Earth Quakes and many more devastating natural catastrophes to your own benefit and win the battle against your enemy with a fully dynamic terraforming environment"

*hehe*

very nice, technically inspiring and definitely raises the hope that it is possible to do much more with the terrain system than shown so far :)

6. shawn

shawn

Unity Technologies

You make a disclaimer about the textures not moving on windows. However, I'm on windows and the textures move just fine, so maybe there's something else going wrong with the textures?

7. benblo

benblo

Thanks everyone, this is heartwarming :D !
    I'll definitely tinker more with it first chance I get!

Dreamora, this is probably never gonna turn into a real pong, that was a one-afternoon test, not a proto... but I definitely could see a terraforming godgame with the catastrophes you describe... an evil God, that is ;)!

Shawn, thanks for the feedback, good to see it works on your box, means its probably fixable. I only tested it on my WMware so it clearly wasn't very thorough... if anyone has more Win feeback I'd love to hear it.
    Actually the point I set out for really was procedural splats (for highlighting), heights were an aftertought, so I'd really like to make it work flawlessly.

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

that concept would be boring, populus definitely wear off with populus 3 ;-) (this is exactly the type of game) I've as well owned Doshin on GameCube which is the "cuty evil god" game ;-)