Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrain Detail Instancing - does it change much?

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by Mullan7, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Mullan7

Mullan7

I've been playing around with this and it seems to perform well.

I'm struggling to decide between using Unity terrain system or just plain meshes for a URP project, and it's not really so clear what the intended path with the newer versions of unity are.
    Some blog posts seem to recommend using polybrush and a vertex shader to draw splatmaps and scatter prefabs on your meshes, but most of the newer updates have expanded on the terrain system.

The obvious advantage to the terrain is no overhead for gameobjects on instanced details, terrain collider, ease of editing and auto LOD.

Advantages to the mesh approach are more fine control, an easier time building with splines etc in blender, and less overhead in the first place.

Of course it's best to test and profile and all that, but I'm wondering what everyone else uses? And what the Unity recommended approach is nowadays

PS this is for small/medium sized outdoor maps with trees and grass etc, not open world