Search Unity

Feature Request Terrain deformation at runtime?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by captainspaceman, Mar 15, 2021.

1. captainspaceman

captainspaceman

So I was trying to think up a way to make simple deformable terrain so that explosions make craters in the ground and whatnot, I only want to deform on the Y-axis, and it was getting really complicated with chunks and LOD and multithreading, but then as a side project, I worked on something else and used the terrain feature in Unity (which I haven't used in a long time) and was surprised at how fast and efficiently Unity was able to subdivide the mesh, deform it, and then decimate it afterward all in real-time. Of course, the mesh collider wasn't updating with that but regardless, it would be amazing if this were a feature one could have in their game at runtime.

Such a feature would allow for the easy programming of craters in the ground from explosions and other things in your game. This feature is in many popular FPS games.

I hope this is the best place to post something like this, thank you.

2. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

3. captainspaceman

captainspaceman

Thank you, I'm trying to use the files but TerrainDamager needs a TerrainDataCloner class which I could not find anywhere in the repository. Maybe I'm just blind but I looked for like 15 minutes lol

4. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

If you are in Unity you can just type "cloner" in the find field of the project window, and I think github has some kind of search too.

It's in the
    ZNotMyCode
    folder because ... that was not my code!

captainspaceman likes this.
  5. captainspaceman

captainspaceman

Ah ok thank you I will give this a try!