Search Unity

Feedback Terrain data files should be generated in the scene's folder with lighting data files

Discussion in 'World Building' started by HunterAhlquist, Jan 19, 2021.

1. HunterAhlquist

HunterAhlquist

Lighting data and nav mesh data files automatically get placed in a scene's data folder. The same should happen for terrain data files made in that scene. This promotes a clean project structure and should be easy to implement.
    Additionally, in the Project explorer, these folders could be shown when you click on an arrow to the side of the scene's file icon like what happens with sprite files and other file objects with nested data.

2. FlipGizmo

FlipGizmo

I'm late to the party but I totally agree. Or at least open the file explorer to let me rename the terrain data and choose where I want to save it, like creating a new animation. I've lost several terrains because they were automatically saved as a generic name in the main folder and forgotten, then presumably overwritten by another terrain data with the same generic name when merging branches in version control.

HunterAhlquist likes this.
  3. ciaranhappy1

ciaranhappy1

totally agree with you both. Terrain files being saved into the projects root asset folder is a very strange default to have, especially given most other scene specific files are saved in their own folder.

HunterAhlquist likes this.