Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Terrain] - control slope steepness

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Gushgarak, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Gushgarak

Gushgarak

Hello fellows Unity users.

I would like to know if it's possible to control (Brush mask maybe) the slope "steepness" when using "Set Height" tool on a Unity Terrain.

By default the bigger the height - the stronger the slope - see print screen below (on the left "Set Height" value is set to 6 while on the right it's set to 50)

However for a specific use case I would like to have almost vertical (if not fully 90 degree) slopes when using Set Height but on small heights.

I've tried using brush masks (notably the "slope" one) but it has no visible effect whatever the value or curve I input.

Please I beg for you help - I am stuck with that since a good week.

Many thanks for your kind assistance.

upload_2020-9-30_23-22-18.png

2. Flavelius

Flavelius

it's not possible to have fully vertical slopes as the vertices are spaced at a certain distance, the lower the height the less steep the slope. You may get close by using a strong subdivision (small pixel error, high resolution) and a large height.

3. Gushgarak

Gushgarak

Thanks for taking the time to answer

Indeed after some more research I found that its impossible because of how the heightmap work (having a verticale slope would mean that two vertices at the same place would have 2 different height which is impossible)

Again thanks for helping.