Search Unity

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. eagle555

eagle555

On your screenshot I can see splat output button is disabled (needs to be green). Hope that is the issue...

Nathaniel

2. lSwordfishl

lSwordfishl

Yes , now all is working. Thank you again

3. silentneedle

silentneedle

Does TC2 already work with Mac OSX?

4. recon0303

recon0303

no not yet,

silentneedle likes this.
  5. eagle555

eagle555

syscrusher and silentneedle like this.
  6. mkgm

mkgm

Hi Nathaniel.
    I'm testing with a large terrain (10x10 km) and when I'm texturing, my terrain shows a white squares.

To fix it, I need to change the "Basemap Distance" to 0 (zero) but your UI don't let me change to zero.

But the default terrain config editor of Unity, lets me to set a zero value.

** Is there any reason to not allowing the "Basemap Distance" be zero?

I changed the following code in the file "TC_TerrainAreaEditor.cs", line:442 and now I don't see white squares anymore.
    if (currentTerrain.basemapDistance < 1) currentTerrain.basemapDistance = 1;

Best regards.

7. eagle555

eagle555

Actually the basemap distance needs to be very high...like 200000.

Nathaniel

mkgm likes this.
  8. eagle555

eagle555

9. mkgm

mkgm

Nathaniel[/QUOTE]
    Thanks so much!!!

10. syscrusher

syscrusher

Mac runs on OpenGL rather than Microsoft's proprietary DX. Unfortunately, Apple has abandoned OpenGL advancement and is moving instead to their own proprietary Metal standard. It's technically pretty good, but, well, just as proprietary as DX. :-(

The good news is that Metal supports (or soon will) compute shaders, and the Unity devs have publicly stated that they will incorporate that API into the Unity environment. Metal support is in the Unity runtime now, and "coming soon" for the Unity editor.

Until then, we Mac users are stuck at OpenGL 4.1, while you need at least 4.3 (iirc) to support compute shaders in OpenGL.

11. BigBite

BigBite

Hello Nathaniel, I was wondering how I would be able to get the latest version of TC. I bought the original off your website. Any help would be much appreciated.

12. eagle555

eagle555

Can you contact me by e-mail? (Nathaniel_Doldersum@hotmail.com).

Nathaniel

13. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

How can i create multi tile terrain with TC2?

14. Seneral

Seneral

On your Terrain Area object, where you initially created your terrain, you can choose multiple terrain, and then press the create terrains button again:)

15. recon0303

recon0303

Nath's Doc's for MAC:

• TerrainComposer2 beta requires DirectX11 and does not work on the Mac yet. Because Mac OS does not support GPU Compute shaders yet. It requires OpenGL 4.3 and Mac OS is still on OpenGL 4.1. Don’t worry as I’m still working on CPU Multi-threading generating, and this will be added during the beta so it will also work on Mac and DirectX 9. Click here for more information about supported platforms for Compute Shaders in Unity. TC2 creates Unity terrain and the terrains them self can be used on any platform that support Unity terrains. So no DX11 required for a build.

Until then, we Mac users are stuck at OpenGL 4.1, while you need at least 4.3 (iirc) to support compute shaders in OpenGL.
    Ty for replying, I have not used MAC in so many years nor support it .. So that is why I was unsure .So glad someone reply with the information. I don't use Unity that much for PC now a days, I use Unreal , Cry and other engines... I use Unity for Android, IOS and Windows these days... I used to do alot with PC for Android, but never MAC.

. Android still is not working, but after testing and talking to Nath he said that Android I believe does support Compute Shaders but it still has some bugs , so after testing it still gives no output, and this time I no longer get the error on console does not support Compute Shaders ... Just no out put ..I also made sure I had it in Android 3.0, tried them all just to see if I could get an output.. So far nothing... For the test I added a simple noise node only... and got no output.. I switched to Desktop and it worked as expected . Nath said he would test soon to see why.. I just wanted to post an update for any Android user ..So they aren't messing around...

16. magique

magique

Congratulations. TC2 is now the top grossing product in the asset store. That's quite an accomplishment.

JBT27, Seneral and hopeful like this.
  17. ldl01031

ldl01031

How do I set grass density to anything but 1? I'm resetting it (both editor and runtime) on the Terrain Setup inspector. But when I then run my game I have way too much grass, and the value has reset itself again to 1. Thanks.

18. docsavage

docsavage

Hi, You can change the density in the terrains standard unity settings with the density slider. But be aware that will affect all the other densities. You can also (depending on your nodes setup) change density by playing with the scale gizmos and being a bit creative with noise maskes etc.

:)

19. lSwordfishl

lSwordfishl

Hello. I would like to know how can I load a custom stamp in my terrain?I tried to save a jpg or png file and a separate file in raw(both from photoshop) after placing them in the right folders the TC2 is not making like on that picture for highmap. Is there some special settingds needs to be? Thank you

20. ERCentertainment

ERCentertainment

I can't place trees. I get tree index out of bounds and no matter what nothing affects the layer. Any ideas?

21. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Thank you Seneral.
    Not that it is hidden somewhere ;)

22. eagle555

eagle555

I will take a look at it. But the best way to have lower density is to use a lower grass resolution. That will result in best performance.

It's very simple. You only need the raw file, TC2 makes automatically the preview image. You need to follow the steps in the documentation:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/terraincomposer2-documentation/#stamps

And here info how to make from WorldMachine:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/terraincomposer2-documentation/#frequently-asked-questions

Do you import the latest patch?
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/terraincomposer2-release-notes/

Nathaniel

23. ERCentertainment

ERCentertainment

24. eagle555

eagle555

How many trees did you use? Can you show a screenshot of TC2 window? And did you try click the 'Refresh' button?

Nathaniel

25. mkgm

mkgm

Another newbie question :oops:
    How can I remove the hard lines in my terrain?

Some info:

• Terrain 20x20Km (just for testing/learning, pls don't ask why???)
    • Stamps: just one, repeated 4 times.
    [Screenshot of the terrain with hard lines]

[Screenshot of TC2 config that produces the hard lines in the above terrain]

Thanks so much!

26. ERCentertainment

ERCentertainment

tried 1, 2 and 3 tree models, no diffrence. Tried to refresh and this is how it looks like right now

27. eagle555

eagle555

It's because the stamp you use has edges, see the preview images of the nodes. You can either lower it or use a mask on it. Then you would need 4 layers with your setup.

Ah ok so on the very basic setup...Can you show me a screenshot of the Unity console with the error? (control-shift-c).

Nathaniel

28. ERCentertainment

ERCentertainment

I don't get an error in the console all I get is a message on the tc window saying "Tree index is out of bounds, index = 1015054416. Try the 'Refresh' button."

The message appears sometimes when I hit refresh but most of the time nothing happens. I've also noticed just before the message pops up the text saying how many trees is placed turns to 1 or 2.

29. eagle555

eagle555

Ah ok. What tree resolution do you use? Did you change it on the main Tree node?

Can you send me your TC2 prefab project file to Nathaniel_Doldersum@hotmail.com. To do this TC2 Menu -> File -> Save...Then in your project it creates a prefab, can right click it and export as Unity package (don't include dependencies).

Nathaniel

30. ERCentertainment

ERCentertainment

Haven't changed the resolution. All I did was follow your tutorial video and it didn't work so I didn't break anything before the problem occured. I could send you the prefab but it does work if I go into a new scene so you would probably don't find anything wrong there

31. Denzellz

Denzellz

Does this work on APU's? or only GPU

32. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

docsavage and siblingrivalry like this.
  33. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

Hi Nathaniel, does TC2 work with the current version of WC?

34. xinoHITO1

xinoHITO1

Hello!
    Love That tc2 is coming out!! But before ugrading i was wondering how the workflow with gaia is like? I says i was thinking about using tc to make the base of my terrain (i'm maring a linear level) and then add specific details manually using gaia but I'm worried this might be a destructive workflow because if I want to make a change in tc2 i might lose everything i changed with gaia.

35. mkgm

mkgm

How to create a really big terrain with TC2?

Hey Nathaniel,
    I know that that question has been asked here and answered before.
    But considering the new workflow of TC2, could you give us some advice on creating a big... big terrain (a terrain that includes trees, grass, objects)

Thanks again for been so helpful.

36. nahie

nahie

I can't seem to get the terrain height to work for the splat maps. It only shows black.

height.jpg

Angle works though for the same height generator.

angle.jpg

I'm using perlin noise to generate the height.

height-map.jpg

I tried to look at some of the demo scenes but it seems they all have animated height maps and none of the splat maps are generated by terrain height.

37. Jarek-Defiler

Jarek-Defiler

Does Unity or TC2 have problems with heightmap resolutions of 4k on terrain tiles? When I go 4k the seams of the terrain tiles get all distorted like the jagged edge of a knife. 2k and below it's fine though.

38. ldl01031

ldl01031

I have this question as well. I bought WC quite a while back and hadn't really used it. I'm trying to now and having no luck (the video show creating 16x16 - is that realistic?).

39. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

16x16 is no problem. If you are not getting 16x16 then you can click the resolution - and + buttons inside world composer "Image Export" window after setting your zoom to max (normally 19).

I started a 48x48 this morning using world composer (and terrain composer 1) so I can mess around with World Streamer.

EDIT: oops, wrong forum

40. eagle555

eagle555

I will dig into this, it probably has to do with terrain size, did you change anything there?

If the APU supports DX11 and Unity supports it then it should work. But I can't find any info on this are you using a APU with Unity?

Yes it does. You can directly use the exported heightmaps from WC as stamps in TC2.

What kind of details do you want to add with Gaia? GameObjects? And why you still need Gaia? It is possible as in TC2 you can just disable an output and TC2 won't touch it. That is for trees/grass as they share Unity terrain. Nut for GameObjects its completely separate, so you can use any spawn tool and it won't interfere with TC2.

Depends how big. There's limitation on Unity terrain total resolutions (of all terrain tiles together) and performance. I don't recommend to go higher then 4k heightmap, the best technique to make a heightmap look more detailed is using a higher resolution global normal map on each terrain tile. In beta 7, TC2 can automatically generate a high resolution normal map and assign it the new included TC2 terrain shader that has added global normal and colormap. It will also work out of the box with RTPv3.

Basically it's very simple select like 5x5 terrain tiles in TerrainArea GameObject, and click 'Create Terrains' button. Then in size you can change the size for each tile. So if you make x and z 4000, your total terrain will be 20 x 20 km. For the rest the work flow is exactly the same as I show in my tutorial video with 1 single terrain. TC2 will automatically generate on all terrain tiles, like TC1 would do.

Terrain height node should work, I use it in the tutorial for placing splats/tree/grass and rocks, to not have it spawn under a certain height where the water should be. Maybe there's an issue with it on your side, but probably because the terrain I see in your images has low height and you need to enable the 'Active' toggle on 'Local Curve' in the inspector if you select the node. Then to easily change the output of the node you can drag the min-max slider, and with the curve you have more control. If you drag the left min-max slider to the right, black gets more black and the right min-max slider white gets more white.

It should work, can you show a screenshot? How many terrain tiles do you use? As 4k is on the high side for performance already for 1 terrain tile.

Can you explain in more detail what your issues are? Yes WC can do 16 x 16, in which video I show that?

Nathaniel

41. mkgm

mkgm

Nathaniel
    could you please post the download links of patch 5 & 6?
    I can't find them in the forum.

Thanks.

42. Jarek-Defiler

Jarek-Defiler

I'm doing 8x8. It looks fine at 2k with no problems. And the jagged edges are only on some terrain tiles, not all.

1.png 2.png 3.png

43. ldl01031

ldl01031

The video is
    at about 8:12 in. However, I've found that I can create/export height maps just fine. The problems come from trying to generate terrains directly from WC. I don't really want/need to do that at the moment though so I'm not stuck.

44. eagle555

eagle555

45. eagle555

eagle555

46. MrIconic

MrIconic

For some reason my Unity doesn't automatically change the terrain when I drag a capsule around. However, if I change the mask by clamping it or flipping it etc. then (and only then) does it change the terrain based on the capsule.

Any ideas?

I'm using newest non-beta Unity3D in DX11. Windows 10, 64-bit etc. :(

47. Jarek-Defiler

Jarek-Defiler

48. eagle555

eagle555

You have to add the TC_AutoGenerate script to the capsule ;)

Nathaniel

MrIconic likes this.
  49. MrIconic

MrIconic

That did it! I don't know if I missed that in your documentation or if it actually wasn't in it. Question though, what does the "repeat" checkbox do?

50. whitav8r

whitav8r

@Nathaniel,
    I am interested in using TerrainComposer2 for creating my own flight simulator for Oculus Rift. Would you recommend getting UnityFS, World Composer, and perhaps any other tools that you might recommend. Initially, I want to focus on terrain with trees and minimal buildings with some lakes. I would like to fly low in a helicopter.
    I have an i7 (6 cores)running at 4.3Ghz and a Nvidia 970 - should I be able to expect 75->90fps as long as I don't make settings too high. From your one video above, it sounds like that is something you have tried. I am a newbie with Unity - do I simply want to start with an OVRPlayerController and then add the terrain? Do you perhaps have a single demo terrain for me to try out?

Thanks much

Dave