Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. zelgo

zelgo

im not really sure on this but my understanding is that the heightmaps have 16bit resolution of about 65,500 but splat maps are just one channel of a 24bit RGB with a resolution of 256. so a height of 10,000 may be fine for height but not for splat

this asset may get around it https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/23425
    maybe RTP can solve it https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/5664

i dont own either of those though so im not sure

2. JBT27

JBT27

I'm reading these replies on heightmaps, but I am having a lot of trouble getting them to work. I am exporting high precision 16+ bit heightmaps from World Machine, in raw format - they get exported with the r16 suffix, but I change that to raw. Put those in a Rawfiles folder as specified, but TC doesn't read them, doesn't create those JPEG previews. And I cannot drag the raw files straight into the rawimage node.

So I tried exporting 16bit TIFFs, open those in Photoshop, ensure they are 16bit and greyscale then export them as Photoshop RAW. The heightmap looks OK, but once in TC, it seems to get scrambled and all I get is a noisy surface; no sign of the original landforms. I'm pretty baffled - chewing up a lot of hours trying to figure this.

I have attached a screengrab of the heightfield in Photoshop, then the dialog in TC. You can see the small thumbnail looks alright, but then the larger image is scrambled, and that is producing this high noise bumpy surface that in no way resembles that terrain.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  3. JBT27

JBT27

OK - I think this was some kind of internal corruption thing. I pulled in one of the included heightfields, but that got scrambled too. Just dumped the scene and started afresh - now it's working. It also works with the raw file straight from World Machine, with the file suffix changed to .raw. Freaky. Not the first time I have seen this kind of thing.

4. arnesso

arnesso

Hi,
    I would be interested in procedural terrain and when I build a game and start new game, then new terrain will be created always when i press new game ( so the goal is : never will be the same terrain , at least the gameobjects will be found on different place )
    Could I handle this with this asset ?
    thank you :9

5. Seneral

Seneral

Depending on your target platform - but assuming you're not targeting mobile, then yes! Currently Mac will not work but this is being worked on by Nathaniel and he is usually very fast (although this requires a complete new system, CPU multithreading rather than GPU).
    Comparing to other assets this is definitely they way to go as it is really fast when it uses the GPU (World creator pro has this feature too but costs 200$ with about the same or less features).

arnesso likes this.
  6. eagle555

eagle555

Yes you are right that it isn't working, sorry about that. It's because it actually needs a Resources.Load() to load the raw file as a TextAsset which needs to be renamed to .bytes for it to work. I will make this work for the next update.

If you use the Measure tool (Child of TerrainComposer2 GameObject) and measure the angle of the terrain does it have steps in the angle? I will dig a bit more into this as the texture that TC2 reads the angle from is created without reading from the terrain. And it uses bilinear filtering which should prevent the steps. The strange thing is that it starts to happen at a certain height. Have you tried making the terrain size the same? 100000 x 100000 x 10000...Does it still happen then?

Yes the heightmaps I think are 16 bit in the shader but it could be a float (32bit) as well, 16 bit would give a precision of terrain height / 65535. Splatmaps use a 32bit RGBA. Each splat texture uses 1 channel, so in total can be 4 splat textures for 1 splatmap texture. It doesn't have any effect on height as it is a top down projection. So the issue can't be in the splatmap itself.

That is strange. You can take a look in TC_AutoStampMaker.cs which makes the preview stamp image, there's nothing fancy there, I will implement the R16 there as well so won't need to rename it then. I just realized it doesn't work in Webplayer build mode because it needs File.WriteAllBytes. Maybe you were in webplayer build mode?

Also what might help is right clicking the raw files (which is in RawFiles) folder and reimport it. This triggers the Asset importer which is intercepted by TC2 to check if the file is a raw file and added in a RawFiles folder.

As Seneral says yes procedurally is totally possible, actually I made a few example scenes in the TC2 release with animating island terrains. This is just for showcasing the speed of the GPU generating and the seeding possibilities. For Mac I will first try to make it work with DX9 shaders to have comparable performance with compute shaders. It's tricky but so far I think its possible.

Nathaniel

JBT27 likes this.
  7. AwesomeX

AwesomeX

Am I the only one getting these lines in my nodes?

I'm not sure if it's just the preview messing up, or if it's actually effecting how my objects are being placed.
    Right now I have a few trees that still spawn on a certain terrain splatmap index texture, even though I told them not to. So that's why I'm wondering if this has something to do with it.

8. eagle555

eagle555

This can happen on multi terrain, and probably it's just the preview image. I have this fixed in the update I'm working on.

The issue with trees spawning on a certain splat texture while you told them not to, is because of random position, this offset is randomly added (can be adjusted for each tree/object) to get random placement instead of in a grid, but TC2 still reads from the original position, where the splat texture does meet the conditions. I'm fixing this for the next update, so in the very beginning this offset already needs to be added instead of the end, which is a little bit tricky, but will get it to work.

Nathaniel

AwesomeX likes this.
  9. Seneral

Seneral

Well for trees it's certainly too hard to debug. Does this happen on the height output, too?
    I did found some stripes in my output, but only on the current shrink and distort nodes between terrains which increased with increasing iteration count - certainly the same issue as with the blur which has been shown before (only happens between terrains)

EDIT: Well Nathaniel was quicker;)

10. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

Does anybody know if WorldComposer can export to TerrainComposer2 (multiterrain) ?

11. eagle555

eagle555

Yes blur/shrink/expand has edge seams on multi terrain. But its tricky to fix and for the coming erosion node would be the same issue. For convexity/angle/height I have this fixed by storing one height/normal texture for the entire terrain area instead of one per terrain tile. This would be needed for blur/shrink/expand as well (also for convexity if this would be used for in-between results in the height output), but it needs to have the result for the entire terrain area as it needs to know the neighbor pixel value (actually the more iterations the more lines it needs to know on the neighbor terrain), but I loop for each terrain separately. Looping separately per terrain tile has benefits that it requires less buffer memory and also for streaming its faster. So I'm figuring out the best way to do this. For blurring what I do is taking the neighbor pixels (top + bottom + left + right) / 4 = new pixel value. Shrink/Expand/Convexity also need to know about neighbor pixels...

Probably the only way is to see the terrain area as 1 big terrain and calculate each node for the entire terrain. Instead of calculating everything for terrain by terrain. But with streaming you only need to know the new terrain tiles and re calculating the entire terrain area would be much slower...Another way is to store the result before the moment the blur/shrink/expand/convexity/erosion node in 1 big texture, this would require that memory for each of that nodes that is used.

If you ever used WM and building the terrain you will see that it consumes a huge amount of memory and this is one of the reasons.

Nathaniel

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    Seneral likes this.
  12. eagle555

eagle555

I have not integrated it yet, but it's already compatible. WorldComposer creates 1 big raw heightmap that can be used in TC2 as a stamp. Then the satellite images are applied as 1 splat texture, with RTP it is used as colormap. I have a custom colormap terrain shader if someone doesn't have RTP. After I fix a cutsom Unity terrain shader refresh issue I will enable it, so colormap output can be used as well then. The satellite image would be best to use on colormap output. For this it needs the image node as well, and I will enable that then too.

Nathaniel

13. eagle555

eagle555

Looks cool thanks for sharing :). One thing I miss is fog ;).

What I use in my video's is TOD which has atmospheric scattering. If someone doesn't have it I recommend to use fog. I'm living in Grossgmain in Austria in the alps now with high mountain peaks (1400 - 2000) that I can see from the windows from our house. Driving for 10 minutes or a bit climbing there's mountain peaks behind it that have 2300 - 2700 range. One thing I notice is the amount of atmospheric scattering is much higher then I thought it would be. With good weather mountains look very blueish and sometimes depending on the weather it looks so magical that its hard to believe its real. Also clouds intersect with the peaks which looks very cool. When very cloudy the scattering turns more to dark blue-grey. I will take some good pictures soon which can be used as a reference.

http://www.grossgmain.info/medien/wanderkarte-2015-low.pdf
    http://www.grossgmain.info/medien/discover-grossgmain.pdf

Yes great idea, I've implemented this for next update ;).

Nathaniel

mkgm, Seneral and JBT27 like this.
  14. Seneral

Seneral

There is one other option which I'll be taking for my erosion simulation. It's something in between, basically you have an overlapping transition region. You'd have to create one texture for each terrain plus a border of say 10px from the neighbouring terrains (depending on the type of process).

If the process is iterative (f.E. on an erosion simulation) there is a specific method called ghost cell exchange for synchronising parts of the border after a set amount of frames, again depending on the border width.
    For more detailed information, see this paper or this one:)

I hope this will allow you to fix this:)

camel82106 likes this.
  15. eagle555

eagle555

Ah thanks a lot for your advice :). Yes I think this might be the solution. I was wondering how Map Magic solves it, probably he uses something similar.

Nathaniel

Alverik likes this.
  16. ZenMicro

ZenMicro

Okay i am a little disappointed and confused.. i get the impression it is the Unity Terrain Engine, but not sure... I see all these awesome screenshots of GRASS... always fully dense and awesome, but with my PC (decent hardware i think) I am getting major chug/lag it seems with grass set to 200+ distance and when i have the grass density spawned as per the photos/screenshots shown.

Is there an issue with my hardware or are all these screenshots short range or laggy like hell when taken?...

17. lazygunn

lazygunn

Hey Nathaniel, great work on this it looks really great, quick question is - Does this work without too many problems with easyroads3D, which deforms terrain? Sorry if it's been asked already. I'm using OSM import for the road network and intending to use heightmaps from world composer (im assuming tc2 lets me scale the maps without 'stairs') with the intention that it all goes together reasonably well

18. camel82106

camel82106

It's good known problem of Unity Terrain. It has nothing to do with TC2.

See this link:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...tch-meshes-at-runtime-which-causes-cpu-spikes

With grass distance set to 200 and higher density you will very nicely see probably 60ms lags in profiler every x seconds. That lags are caused by CPU spikes when Unity Terrain is building grass patches.

You can reduce it with distance set to something below 100 to be honest it may be enough. And detail per patch 16 or 32. And be cautious with density of your grass. You can get nearly same results with 2x less dense grass etc. You must play with it.

Here you can see screenshot from my game, everything on highest at 65 FPS (AVG is bad because I was changing graphics settings)

P.S.:
    grass distance on screenshot is 80m

arnesso, ZenMicro, docsavage and 3 others like this.
  19. docsavage

docsavage

Looks like living hell I can't imagine how you cope living there:)

Thanks for rubbing this in. At least you provide a good solution for making virtual lovely scenery while you live in a real one:)

20. AwesomeX

AwesomeX

Are we going to get any tutorials on how to run TC2 at runtime?

Runtime generation, seed changing & generating, infinite terrain, etc. It was shown in the announcement video, and looked pretty neat.

recon0303 likes this.
  21. Jarek-Defiler

Jarek-Defiler

I replaced the default splat textures with my own and the problem is no longer there. So not sure what it was but perhaps it had something to do with that particular grass splat.

Thanks for the info. I do use RTP but it didn't help. However, I replaced all the splat textures with my own and the problem vanished. So maybe it was just that particular splat that was having problems. :confused:

22. JBT27

JBT27

I'm hitting a problem with moving the pivot. If I move the pivot, it works as expected, but if I hit undo, the pivot returns to its previous location but also moves the node with it. So, I have a mountain and I move the pivot. Then change my mind and hit undo. Although the mountain doesn't move whilst moving the pivot, when I hit undo, the mountain is transformed by the pivot going back to its previous location. That doesn't seem right.

23. Jarek-Defiler

Jarek-Defiler

So I was working on my terrain today. I saved the project and then increased some of the resolutions and hit apply and let it do it's thing. After a few minutes Unity crashes and I have to restart. Upon opening my project, that I've been working on for weeks, I find this: 1.png

2.png

Apparently my entire project was wiped. No terrain, no splats, no objects, nothing. Please tell me there's a way to fix this.

24. eagle555

eagle555

Yes sure ;). It's just that I released the beta and needed to make sure first the basic runs well without issues, before I want to make more advanced tutorials. So first I will release an update with fixes of the issues encountered so far (+ features and improvements). Then I can quickly write some documentation how to use runtime, as it's very simple. Then I need to finish the Mac version.

Nathaniel

25. BrandStone

BrandStone

I'm planning to buy this package very soon and I have 2 questions:
    1. When is the mac version coming out?
    2. When does the discount end?

Thanks!

26. recon0303

recon0303

The Mac/Android he is working on and said this month.. So depending on any bug he encounters ... There still is a work around for Android.. I could be wrong, but I would think it may be the same way as Android where you can make it with Desktop , then export it out and import it to Android, again no clue if that would work with MAC since i'm not a Mac users, but Nath will need to confirm, until he fixes it..

The issue with Android and Mac is that , it doesn't support Compute Shaders something that Terrain Composer 2 uses.. and it only works with DX`11.. Android is DX9 only, Mac I assume is the same, but I have not used Mac in many years so I can't confirm.. But I heard Mac doesn't support Compute shaders either.

Can't answer the 2nd question..

27. recon0303

recon0303

Is the custom color map already included? I have not seen it, , mobile users like me can't use RTP, so it would be great to include it if possible.. I own RTP but as I said, but its not for mobile. So we use our own Shader's and some of Skyshops.

Thanks

28. ChickenHero

ChickenHero

TerrainComposer2 not working.

I did the same operation as the tutorial video.
    Noise -> RidgedMultifractal
    It will be displayed as "Kernel not found" in the log.
    It will display "SUCCEEDED(hr) " to the error message.
    What would be the cause.

Unity:5.3.5f1
    TerrainComposer2:2.061

29. eagle555

eagle555

Maybe you ran into the Unity import prefab bug issue:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/terraincomposer2-documentation/#trouble-shooting

Or it could be that you are on a mobile build platform. Try switching the PC build mode to see if it works. Can do that in Unity Menu -> File -> Build settings.

Nathaniel

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  30. eagle555

eagle555

31. eagle555

eagle555

Yes you are right this shouldn't be. I will fix it for the next update (beta 7).

How many terrain tiles did you use and how high resolutions did you change to? You mean your Scene file is empty that you worked on for weeks? If Unity crashes without saving the Scene, then it loses all settings that were done since the last time it was saved. Sometimes it happens that a Scene file gets corrupted, if that happens that issue is on Unity's side...It looks like the errors you get that your Scene file is damaged. Do you have serialization set to 'Force Text'? (Unity Menu -> Edit -> Project Settings -> Editor). Then it might be possible to recover it.

It's good to save the Scene regularly and make backups often and best to make those to online. What I use is Microsoft Visual Studio Online. This has free version control with unlimited project amount and unlimited GB's.
    https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/what-is-visual-studio-online-vs.aspx

Nathaniel

32. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

happy to see you are working on dx9 mac support

syscrusher likes this.
  33. Hroft137

Hroft137

Thx for answer.
    Yes, im on web and probably it`s a problem. But fix pach (TC2_LoadingStampWebPlayerFix.unitypacka)has no effect.

34. eagle555

eagle555

Does it work correct in PC build mode?

1). Mac version I hope to get done this month, but might take a little bit longer like week 1 of next month.
    2). Not entirely sure about it yet, will last at least until Mac version is out to give Mac people a change to buy it for $45.

Nathaniel

35. JBT27

JBT27

The roadmap is interesting reading and looking good, and exciting. I must admit, I would like to see that image node working before the year is out, if possible.

36. JBT27

JBT27

Just a thought, and it's something I find very useful in Terragen, but sometimes it can be quite difficult to see on the terrain where a splat is going to end up. Given that I tend to use splats that are tonally and colour-wise very close to each other, the blends can be hard to see. Terragen has a checkbox where the effect of each node can display on the terrain as a bright colour, so it's very obvious where that splat is going to go. It's not essential, but a nice little luxury for sometime down the line maybe.

recon0303, ibyte and Seneral like this.
  37. Hroft137

Hroft137

In PC build mode all work fine.

38. ChickenHero

ChickenHero

39. lSwordfishl

lSwordfishl

Good day. I have a question - is it possible to save all my settings for the generated terrain prefab and then to create that terrain again in runtime without saving the terrain.
    And is it possible to do on mobile and web platforms? Thank you.

40. lSwordfishl

lSwordfishl

And also I get this error when trying to set any Splat texture for the terrain.(Null Reference Exception : Object reference not set to an instance of an object) What could be the problem?Thank you
    Error.png

41. eagle555

eagle555

Yes it's possible, but best to do it with noises only and without stamps (takes disk space) or small size stamps. On Web platform it is possible to generate at runtime. For mobile it's possible with OpenGL ES 3.1 for Android. TC2 uses compute shaders and can see compatible platforms here:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ComputeShaders.html

I'm also working on a DX9 solution that will run on more platforms like Mac and hopefully older OpenGL ES.

I will make some documentation for runtime generation after I finish TC2 beta 7.

I have a patch for that. It's fixed in beta 7.

Nathaniel

Attached Files:

AndreyO likes this.
  42. eagle555

eagle555

Yes that's a good idea. I have this already in my feature list, didn't add it to the roadmap yet, will do now. Because TC2's system is parrallel it's a bit more tricky to do. E.g. for a select group if we have 4 nodes, and we want to visualize one of those nodes...Like how to visualize an in-between result like with a splat texture. I was thinking of projecting the preview texture of a node on the terrain with a projector.

For selecting the splat/tree/object/grass nodes I can make something for it.

Nathaniel

JBT27 likes this.
  43. jdraper3

jdraper3

Been enjoying TC2, and had a few suggestions.

1. A way to set the water level (like in gaia) or at least some kind of custom offset so that everything regenerates properly if the terrain height changes.
    2. An "invert" mask.
    3. The ability to group masks instead of just relying on order of operations. Such as:
    ((mask1 add mask2) multiply mask3) add (mask4 minus mask5)
    4. The ability to "reference" a layer's mask result, instead of making a copy and having to hand edit every layer when you want to make a change.
    5. A way to lock layers so that they can't accidentally be edited.
    6. Preserve manual changes when re-generating maps.
    7. Image mask. I know this is on the roadmap already - just wanted to say how nice it would be rather than having to create and import raw files.

Thanks for such a great tool! Looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

Seneral and hopeful like this.
  44. eagle555

eagle555

I'm glad you like it :). Thanks for the suggestions, they are very good :).

1). Can you explain in more detail what you exactly need? As you can put a height mask in the very top of an output. Sometimes you do want grass to spawn on the water bottom or even trees as water vegetation.
    2). This is already there. Flip is linked to scale (xyz) and you can activate local/global curve in inspector and click 'i' button to invert the curve.
    3). See roadmap, I have this in TC2 beta 7. Node groups within node groups.
    4). Also in TC2 beta 7. Link nodes...
    5). Great idea, I will add that in beta 7, now it's possible to lock a transform.
    6). Yes will make something for this although it's a bit tricky.
    7). Yes will be in beta 7.

Nathaniel

Seneral and hopeful like this.
  45. eagle555

eagle555

Yes grass performance issue is a well known Unity terrain issue. There comes a solution for it soon, Unature...
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/co...actable-trees-multithreading-and-more.401139/

Nathaniel

JBT27 and hopeful like this.
  46. lSwordfishl

lSwordfishl

Good Day. Thank you for your support. After the patch i still recive errors and splatmat is not working. I was trying to reinstall TC2 and install again with the patch but i'm having same problem. Pls advice error2.png

47. eagle555

eagle555

Ah it needed the other patch to work. I released several patches and combined them all now in TC2 beta 6 patch 5. It can be downloaded here:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/terraincomposer2-release-notes/

Nathaniel

Edit: The patch didn't export correctly and still contained some old files, sometimes it happens with Unity. I uploaded another patch 6 and should be good now.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  48. lSwordfishl

lSwordfishl

Done as per instructions. Tried to delete all and reinstall again but same problem. I was following your video tutorial and tried even on exampe terrain (see attached pic). Splatmap is not showing and now revieving another error. Thank you error3.png

49. eagle555

eagle555

Did you import patch 5 or patch 6? Also restarting Unity might help. If you still get an error can you show a screenshot of the Unity console? (control-shift-c).

Nathaniel

50. lSwordfishl

lSwordfishl

Just now i applied patch no 6 and now I dont recieve any error , but still i cant use splatmap. But I can change only the first one , others do not react (see screenshot). Thank you for your support splat.png