Search Unity

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. eagle555

eagle555

If you delete the <Generating> GameObject from the Hierarchy the TerrainComposer window should come back. Can you show a screenshot of the first error that happens in the Unity console? (the error in the TerrainComposer_save file)

Nathaniel

2. eagle555

eagle555

We contacted by mail and found the issue which was a bug in TerrainComposer. The fix for this is included in the ObjectGenerateUpdate package. I will upload and submit a new TC (version 1.91) today with the fix included.

Nathaniel

Attached Files:

3. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Roy,

If you use RTP you can only change the tile size for all splat textures in RTP terrain script -> Main tab -> Tile size. To get rid of tilling you can use RTP's advanced UV blending and replace far features, the blend texture can have any tile size.

Nathaniel

4. eagle555

eagle555

That meshes are placed upside down is a very old Unity terrain bug. It can get better if you reduce the grass layer strength.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/problem-with-detail-mesh.114936/

Nathaniel

5. dbryson

dbryson

I'll do that as soon as I restore my computer. :)

6. Wylaryzel

Wylaryzel

Hi Nathaniel,

thanks for all the support :)

I'm currently struggling a bit with the splattextures in combination with RTP. When I prepare my Terrain until I think its fine and activate RTP everything works as expected.

Any time afterwards if I want to add an additional splattexture in one of the TerrainFoldouts and hit <Set All> it seems like it is added. If I went to the inspector tab of one of the terrains, RTP tells me that there is an issue and I should reassign the RTP script. If I investigate further in the Terrain part of Unity I can't see the new splattexture under the painter tool. It seems like that the splattexture hasn't been added to the Terrain for painting. Moving back to TC and hit <Get> or <Get All> the splattextures are reduced to the setup I had before, removing the currently added texture set.

Is this a bug or do I have to add the new splattexture differently after adding RTP to the scene?

Thx in advance

7. thomokon2014

thomokon2014

Thanks for all the support ,
    My question is: Can i use an 8-color image as filter for splatmap and assign colors with 8 textures.
    I have real terrain with 8 different landuses and it is important to to place the corresponding textures.
    Thanks.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Please add a button "Update" (or whatever you think sounds good:)) to update modified heightmap from Unity and recompute splat maps and reposition trees/etc. We have to modify/tweak parts of terrain to fit the design, and every time we do we have to export/reimport, and start to be really annoying.

9. Wylaryzel

Wylaryzel

From what I have used up to now is that if I modify the heightmap of the terrain with other tools (e.g. easyroad), I don't touch the heighmap generation button anymore (as it is of no use), I only let update the necessary subactions (e.g. Splat, Objects, etc). Is there a reason that you want to re-generate the heightmap after modification?

Another possibility would be to create a heightmap-file with the final heightmap and exchange your heightmap creation layers with one that reads input only from the heightmap-raw file. There is a tutorial from Nathaniel available on the generation of a heightmap.

BR
    Wyl

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Wylaryzel, I don't want to regenerate heightmap, just to regenerate splat maps after I modify terrain inside Unity a bit. And of course, re-generate trees position and rest if necessary.

11. Wylaryzel

Wylaryzel

@DreamLand,

as long as you don't regenerate the heightmap, TC should not modify the terrain.

BR
    Wyl

12. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

Just bought this asset and have generated a couple of the example terrains, and each time the grass on the terrain is completely black - just the grass, no other vegetation appears affected.
    Using Unity 5. Any suggestions? Thanks.

13. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Alright, thanks.

I have another question. I'm looking at generating terrain procedurally. but I want something a little more...coherent than the traditionally hilly terrain. With wide-open flat spaces and such, and some depths as well. I know you have a tutorial on just procedural generation, but do you have any more advanced tutorials or anything?

14. dbryson

dbryson

Okay, so here's the first error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    terraincomposer_save.load_raw_subfilter (.filter_class filter1, Int32 count_prelayer1, Int32 count_layer1) (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Scripts/terraincomposer_save.js:12283)
    terraincomposer_save.load_raw_heightmaps () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Scripts/terraincomposer_save.js:12257)
    terraincomposer_save.generate_begin () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Scripts/terraincomposer_save.js:2491)
    TerrainComposer.generate_startup () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:4401)
    TerrainComposer.create_example (System.String path, Boolean load_only, System.String projectName) (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:18480)
    TerrainComposer.load_example_terrain (Boolean load_only) (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:18578)
    TerrainComposer.Paint () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:2271)
    TerrainComposer.OnGUI () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:919)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)​

And, yes, deleting the <Generating> game object does bring the TerrainComposer window back.

Thanks.

15. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

RTP works a bit different as it overwrites the Unity terrain shaders, what splat textures are assigned in the Unity terrain tools you shouldn't look at. RTP has 3 modes, 4/8/12 splat textures. So you can't have 5 or 9 splat textures. I recommend to read the RTP manual how to set this up:
    http://www.stobierski.pl/unity/RTP.pdf

Nathaniel

16. Wylaryzel

Wylaryzel

Hi Nathaniel,

thx again for the response. The strange thing was that I could corrected the behavoir when I add a texture to the terrain Unity Terrain Tool (the same as added before within TC), RTP is working again. So it seems there is somewhere a confusion between RTP/Unity Terrain/TC. Btw, as I knew that I will need 8 Splats, I had already compiled RTP with 8-pass and initially only used the first 6 slots.

But as I know now of that issue, I will modify my workflow a bit - adding only RTP as the last step of polishing :)

BR
    Wyl

17. eagle555

eagle555

Yes you can do this. Below is an example. For this use of colors you have to make sure you use 'solid' (hard) colors, which means that the edges of the colors can't be gradient. Otherwise TC can't detect the colors probably and on the edges it won't look correct. So what you have to do is to get this working:

1). Enable 'Splat' button in top TC window.
    2). Add a splat layer by clicking yellow '+' button.
    3). Add your splat textures until there are 8 (you should already have 8 assigned to your terrains).
    4). Choose slider mode 'One' (is a small bug I just discovered as it should work with min-max as well, will fix this in the next update).
    5). Set filter input to 'Image' and drag and drop your splat color image in the object slot.
    6). In Color Range shift click the <Detect> button, your 8 colors will automatically be detected by TC.
    7). Change mode from 'Free' to 'Select', now behind each color you can choose which splat texture from the layer to paint.
    8). (Optional) With filter settings -> Edgle Blur you can soften the edges and with edge blur radius the edge length of the blurring.
    9) Click generate button.

Nathaniel

ColorSplatmapInterface.png ColorSplatmap.png

18. eagle555

eagle555

It's as Wyl says, as long as you don't touch the 'Height' output button in the top of the TC window and click on generate. TC won't overwrite your manually altered heightmap. You can recreate the splat texturing/tree/grass/objects any time after changing the heightmap manually.

Nathaniel

19. eagle555

eagle555

This is probably because you use Advanced Foliage Shaders in your project. AFS overwrites the Unity tree/grass shaders. You have to set this up according to it's documentation for grass to render correctly. You can try TC in an empty project and it should work fine...

Nathaniel

20. eagle555

eagle555

You can use masks for this and even blend heightmap or heightmap layers together with masks. I explain how it works in this video:

TerrainComposer tutorial about filters, masks and curves (New)

You can use a raw heightmap image for precise mask control or you can use perlin as a mask to create the flat area's.

Nathaniel

21. eagle555

eagle555

The circle.raw should be loaded in the Island Mask (heightmap) layer (in the last mask). It should be automatically there if you have the latest examples. The circle.raw is in the folder TerrainComposer Examples -> Textures. If it's not there you can load it manually.

Nathaniel

Procedural_Islands.jpg

22. dbryson

dbryson

Thanks, that fixed it!

23. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Neat. Thanks.

24. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

I'm failing to understand how WorldComposer and/or Terrain Composer is managing assets which is leading to confusion on my part. Up until now I have been working with only one terrain (really it's more of a scene made of multiple terrains. I'll just call the whole thing a "terrain" for this discussion).

I had one terrain called Lotus Lake which was imported with WorldComposer and modified by TerrainComposer. This was made intially in a separate scene (I'll call it a "Lotus Lake work scene") just for creating the terrain which I then copied over into my main game scene with all the other game stuff. That worked great, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that if I changed some things about the terrain in my work scene (such as the images/splats, details, etc), it also changed in the main game scene. So I assume WC/TC is using something else to refer to most of the files involved regardless of what scene Lotus Lake is in. That's fine, I just need to know more about how this works.

So here's what I had at that point:

Lotus Lake work scene - Where I build the scene
    Lotus Lake game scene - Where I play the game in that scene.

As of yesterday I created a second terrain called Canyon River. Just like for Lotus Lake, I made a Canyon River work scene which I then copied over to my Lotus Lake game scene just to take a quick test drive. To do that I just deactivated the Lotus Lake terrain that was already there and replaced it with the Canyon River terrain. All is well and good so far. Here's are my scenes now:

Lotus Lake work scene - Where I build the scene
    Lotus Lake game scene - Where I play the game in that scene.
    Canyon River work scene - Where I build the scene

In the end of course I'll have a Canyon River game scene, but for now I just want to run the terrain in game as explained before, so I've just got the three scenes.

Now on to the problem: I went back to the Canyon River Work scene and (using WC) exported images again at a higher resolution. The individual terrain tile sizes and so on are the same as before. In my Canyon River work scene the images changed. I then copy/pasted the Canyon River object into the Lotus Lake game scene and found that the images were not the same.

Here's Canyon River in the Canyon River work scene:

And here it is in the Lotus Lake scene:

The first picture is correct and the second is not. The second picture looks exactly like it did before I reexported the images to a different resolution. The only thing I can think of is that the game object TerrainComposer_Save is different between the two scenes. In the Lotus Lake scene it's left over from when I was using Lotus Lake instead of Canyon River, so I'm figuring it has something to do with that, but I don't know what.

It's obvious that I'm seriously lacking understanding about how WC/TC saves and loads terrains and how it shares them between scenes when you copy/paste a terrain object like Canyon Lake. My workflow here must be totally wrong for how this was designed. Could somebody explain this to me and help clear it up?

More importantly, how can I get my new Canyon River images to show up in the copy of the Canyon River object I put in the Lotus Lake game scene? Since I reexported the images, I don't understand where the bright (incorrect, lower resolution) images are even coming from now.

25. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

<Facepalm> My lighting properties are different between the two scenes. So maybe it really is using the new images.

It would still be nice to get an explanation of how the rest works regarding saving/loading and so forth. Any insight there would be helpful.

26. nhf75

nhf75

Hi Nathaniel,
    I'm having problems with global colormap, normal colormap with RTP v3.2f. I have tried to delete the folder composer cerrain and RTP and installed all over again but the error remains. I'm solving the problem by putting the images manually.
    Thanks in advance. sorry for my English.

Attached Files:

27. Seneral

Seneral

Seems your tiles are not named correctly with the _x0_y0 naming convention, but we can't tell exactly because we don't see their names;) Did you checked that yet?

28. nhf75

nhf75

I just check and the names are correct. The project is old and did not have that problem, I created the year before with CT and always updating with each new version of TC. I never had given this problem.
    Thank Seneral for trying to help me.

The sequence name is correct but the automatic completion is not obeying the sequence. From the second line onward there is a correct order but the columns are out of order.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  29. nhf75

nhf75

Now I redid the grounds of principle. I recreated the land by TC 5x5 again. As I observed the columns were left with the files in inverse order and the columns were out of order.
    Sorry for my English.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  30. Baraff

Baraff

I know I am currently just playing around with this and should go through the lessons, which I will do, but I often have TC crash and wipe out everything. This kind of error below. I know it is something probably quite simple but it has had countless times now and all work is lost at this point. It seems loading what I had saved is not loading anything like what was there when I saved it.
    This happens when I press start.
    I have downloaded twice. I have set up new projects with only TC in it. Same issue.
    Any ideas?
    Only asking because obviously it would be a real big problem for me once I start using it for the real scene.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    terraincomposer_save.load_raw_subfilter (.filter_class filter1, Int32 count_prelayer1, Int32 count_layer1) (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Scripts/terraincomposer_save.js:12301)
    terraincomposer_save.load_raw_heightmaps () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Scripts/terraincomposer_save.js:12275)
    terraincomposer_save.generate_begin () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Scripts/terraincomposer_save.js:2491)
    TerrainComposer.generate_startup () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:4401)
    TerrainComposer.create_example (System.String path, Boolean load_only, System.String projectName) (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:18492)
    TerrainComposer.load_example_terrain (Boolean load_only) (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:18590)
    TerrainComposer.Paint () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:2271)
    TerrainComposer.OnGUI () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:919)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

31. dbryson

dbryson

Your problem looks the same as the problem I was having, see eagle555's responses to my posts just a few posts back.

32. twobob

twobob

Hi, please could you clear up what is meant by

upload_2015-5-31_17-54-52.png

as far as I can see the Terrain instance slider has no effect over the amount of runtime terrains created.
    in fact only one is ever created no matter what we try ;)

upload_2015-5-31_17-56-27.png

any clues matey???

however we did get the runtime working...

and that makes us happy

upload_2015-5-31_17-58-43.png

(we would like a 3x3 runtime)

And we would like to use it with that, as and when. thanks

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  33. thomokon2014

thomokon2014

Thanks for all the support .
    I need some help. I have load splatmaps in RTP (splat 0-3 and splat 4-7)
    I want to use them (without destroy splats) and to add a only a steepnes filter or mask on them and to combine.
    How can do this?

34. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Todd,

As for TC/WC saving terrain, they use standard Unity terrain and it works exactly the same as you create a terrain manually with the Unity menu. Terrains are stored as TerrainData's in your project, what you see in the Hierarchy is just GameObject that has a reference to the TerrainData in your project, I explain here:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/troubleshooting/
    My terrains get overwritten in my old Scene from my new Scene, why does this happen?

As for the difference in images, it might be the basemap you see in the Lotus Lake Scene. If you go to TC Window -> Tc terrain list -> Settings -> Basemap distance, can change to a very high distance. The overbrightness might have something to do with your directional light settings.

Nathaniel

Todd-Wasson likes this.
  35. eagle555

eagle555

Yes I explain this in just a few posts back ;).

Nathaniel

36. eagle555

eagle555

In the TerrainComposer window:

1). Enable 'Splat' button in the top.
    2). Add a splat layer (yellow '+' button).
    3). Unfold the layer and add your 8 splat textures to the layer, click the 'R' button to reset the min-max sliders.
    4). Unfold the filter, set filter input to 'Steepness'.
    5). Click 'Generate' button.

If this is not what you mean, can you explain in more detail what you are trying to adhieve?

Nathaniel

37. thomokon2014

thomokon2014

Thanks but I do not explained well. I paint with the Unity brush the textures, as shown in picture.
    Now I just want to each area I have, only add some steepness, without lose basic painted textures.
    upload_2015-6-1_20-28-58.png

38. camel82106

camel82106

Hello,
    I would like to generate color map from TC. It would be basically an blend of x raw heightmaps.

But I want to make it more specific.
    Simply I want to calculate average of all raw heightmaps. But I don't want to take pure black values from raw heightmap into average.

For example I have 2 raw heightmaps one 100% (white) and one 0% (black).
    And with this I want to get as result 100% white.

But If I will have 100% (white) and 50% (gray). I want to get result of 75%.
    Is it possible?

P.S.:
    it would be nice feature to have ability to stich colormap image together to one image. Now 4 colormaps images are generated for 4 terrains. It would be sometimes easier to generate one composited image so result resolution will be twice big.

Thanks!
    Peter

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  39. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

See image below, these sliders only show if the terrain is empty. I will change the text in the next TC update.

Nathaniel

TerrainSliders.jpg

40. twobob

twobob

nice one. will be very interested in the runtime-switching thingy as and when you do it.

41. DreamEnder

DreamEnder

I'm not sure where to find this feature within Terrain Composer.

Convert Mesh -> Unity Terrain

Could you please explain where I can do this with the plugin?

42. celaeno

celaeno

Hello,

I'm using Unity3d 4.6.5 with the latest version of terrain composer and I can't manage to get a heightmap. First I create Terrain, which is showing up in the editor as a flat terrain, then I click on Height in the upper left corner and add a heightmap layer. When I click on generate, it says the terrain is generating, but I can't see it back on the terrain, it is still flat, also when trying it with different parameters.

Second I'm trying to add some splat textures in a splat layer. I think I have to click on the empty squares, but the empty square only gets a little darker when I click on it and there don't show up textures to choose from. Although I added the standart terrain asset with the Unity3d textures.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

43. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

Did you create the colormaps with WorldMachine? Do you use the latest TerrainComposer 1.92? I changed TerrainComposer terrain tile system a while back and now is the same as the tile system WorldMachine uses (left bottom terrain is _x0_y0 and then goes from left to right to up).

I tested it with colormaps from WM and assigning them to RTP and also creating normalmaps with TC and assigning in RTP, and it all works fine here.

Nathaniel

RTP_Colormap_Assign.jpg

44. DreamEnder

DreamEnder

Any response?

45. eagle555

eagle555

I just made a 'How to do FAQ' page for this on my site:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/how-to-faq/
    It's in Support -> How to do FAQ.

I will add more frequently asked questions to this page.

Nathaniel

46. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Peter,

Yes this is possible. You need to set filter output to 'Average' for each filter, and then you can use a normal curve like in the image below. As you want a black to be 100%, then white+black = white -> (100+100)/2 = 100%.

You can use 1 terrain if you want 1 colormap with higher resolution. Yes for manual painting it would be nice, to have a combiner/splitter. I will add this to the TerrainComposer feature roadmap.

Average.jpg

Nathaniel

47. eagle555

eagle555

It's in Quick Tools -> 'Mesh Convert' tab.

Nathaniel

MeshConvert.jpg

48. DreamEnder

DreamEnder

49. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

About the flat heightmap I answer that here:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/troubleshooting/
    When I want to create a heightmap layer and add a heightmap filter, choose heightmap output and click generate nothing happens. Why?

For the second question, you first need to assign splat textures to your terrain in the TC terrain list -> 'Splat Textures' tab.
    See page 20 of the TerrainComposer manual on how to do that.

Nathaniel

50. camel82106

camel82106

Thanks it's near. But if both points will have black, logical result I need is 0%.
    With this settings it will result to 100%. Although other cases will be ok.

Probably it could be combined with calculated maximum of all masks.
    And then subtracting this Average from your result. But changing curve that 0 will be 1 and all other values will be 0.
    Arrhg at least we are near if it would work :)

Ok is probably out of scope it's more difficult than I have thinked. I need to calculate weighted mean. So I will do it outside of TC.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015