Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. eagle555

eagle555

Yes you use a 2k heightmap then you have 2x2 tiles in TC. The resolution you select in TC is the resolution per tile, that you have on 2k so that makes a 4k heightmap (can see that in total resolution between the parentheses). So then you put a 2k heightmap on a 4k terrain heightmap. The terrain has the double resolution of your heightmap, that creates the blockiness. So you need to use 1k per tile instead...

Nathaniel

2. eagle555

eagle555

You have to save the image within your Unity project for the Unity select window to show.

Nathaniel

3. protopop

protopop

Just upgraded From Unity 5.0.0 to Unity 5.0.2 and got this new error message:

Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js(16947,42): BCE0055: Internal compiler error: Value is less than UInt64.MinValue.

Can anyone help me fix this?

UPDATE

Uh oh:)

I deleted this line where the error was:
    @DrawGizmo(GizmoType.NotSelected | GizmoType.Active)​

and everything worked.

Then I updated to TC 1.72

and now i have 171 errors. I've never had this happen before, so im guessing it has to do with Unity 5.0.2 specifically

errors like:
    Assets/TerrainComposer/Scripts/LatLong_Conversion.js(4,21): BCE0004: Ambiguous reference 'latlong_class': latlong_class, latlong_class.
    Assets/TerrainComposer/Scripts/global_settings_tc.js(1158,60): BCE0004: Ambiguous reference 'map_pixel_class': map_pixel_class, map_pixel_class.​

etc...

UPDATE 2

OK - i case this helps anyone...

I installed TC in a new clean project. The asset store said v1.8 was the latest so i downloaded and imported that. Then i opened the project and inside the TC panel it offered to update to v 1.9 (which didnt show up on the asset store download page). So i upgraded to 1.9 using the TC panel. Then i copied the TC folder and pasted it into my actual project (after deleting the old TC folder - backup before doing this)

Now it works!

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  4. Nasenohrring

Nasenohrring

I got this error for now.
    How can I fix them?

Attached Files:

5. eagle555

eagle555

Yes TC1.8 is available on the Asset Store and this runs in all Unity5 version, 1.72 got broken after Unity5 patch 1. I submitted TC 1.9 to the Asset Store with new features for mobile. If you get ambiguous reference error, it means that there's double scripts in your project.

Nathaniel

protopop likes this.
  6. eagle555

eagle555

Seems that local area is not on maximum. You can change this in TC terrain list -> 'Local Area' tab -> Click 'Max' button, shift click >Set All button, and then regenerate again.

Nathaniel

7. Nasenohrring

Nasenohrring

Thank you it works! I was wondering, because I didnt need to change this in the last time.

8. _Luthien_

_Luthien_

Hi Nathaniel,

thanks. This worked fine: I succeeded in extending my original terrain by blending it in with TC generated terrain, and it looks great.

There's still a couple of things that I haven't figured out; partly because TC's many options.
    After watching all the videos that seem applicable I still couldn't find all answers, so I'm sort of learning by trial-and-error now :)

1) one of the video's suggested to use four splat textures in TC in order to enable RTP. If I then activate RTP, it adds normal and height maps. So far, so good; but until now I haven't been able to figure out how to combine using RTP within TC and also being able to do anything with those textures other than simply assigning those 4 to a height range. The terrain then looks quite bland: I would like to add a bit more variation using textures of a different resolution - possibly by hand painting them. Is there a way to do this in such a way that it does not break the TC setup (ie. not by simply reverting to manual Unity setup)? And (though this should be a question for the RTP thread, but you never know ;) ) - would "adding more variety" still be complatible with RTP? Or can I only use those four (or eight) textures "out of the box"?

2) Does there, in TC, exist a way of creating a larger stretch of sea, as in a coast line? I can of course add a water plane from the asset inventory, but I noticed that I cannot stretch it very much; the frame rate drops too much and it looks horrible if it is stretched too large.

3) is there a way to add snow to the mountain tops *within* TC?

4) I can't figure out how to generate stones or other objects within TC. If I go to the 'object' tab, there is no option to add objects to every terrain as there are splat maps, trees or grass. At the bottom of that object tab page, under 'layer level', there is a 'layer group' with a layer called 'stones' in it - presumably a left-over from having experimented with one of your example scenes. The thing is, all the object slots in that layer are blank. I tried adding rock objects from the asset inventory and then hitting Generate ... however, this never seems to actually create anything.
    Am I forgetting something obvious?

Thanks!

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  9. _Luthien_

_Luthien_

10. gecko

gecko

I'm trying to generate splats for an island terrain. I want the lowest elevations to have a sand texture, but middle and upper elevations to have three splats, applied using heightmap and steepness filters. I almost have it all working, but can't figure out how to keep the sand texture restricted to the lower elevations. Attached screenshot shows my setup. How do I make it do what I want?

Attached Files:

11. nomax5

nomax5

Hello Again,
    Any Idea what is causing this?

I've changed or broken something, I've tried creating a new project but it's just not making all the terrain.
    Roy

12. nomax5

nomax5

Question: can you have 2 terrains in scene?

This is what I'm trying to do:

I've made a big terrain 32km which is just eye candy (not for walking on) in the middle you can see there is a 4km flat bit.

I want to make a 4km terrain that the players will walk on and place it on that flat part I've prepared.

So the players will see nice mountains in the distance.

Roy

13. broesby

broesby

You definitely can - look back in earlier posts. For instance one of Nathaniels flight-sim demoes is made that way. But ofc you need to beware of the performance.

I think you should take a look at the asset Horizon(ON) - it is specifically created for such "eye candy" terrain i the horizon ;)

14. MS80

MS80

Hi Nathaniel,
    I can't get something very simple to work, watched your videos etc. but was not able to flatten out a specific area. I have a heightmap ( 0m to 1600m ,normalized, generated with WC) and what I need now is a small flattened area f.e. at 1250m. It's clear to me how to use layers, masks, add, subtract height etc, but how to make a certain area at a certain height completely flat?! Which layer / mask modes are needed for this, I tried all output modes but the results never get flat!

15. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

1) TerrainComposer generates standard Unity terrain and RTP works on standard Unity terrain. So there's no difference with or without TC using RTP on a standard Unity terrain.
    RTP comes with a default setup of 8 splat textures since the last release. With RTP you can do 4/8/12 splat textures, where 12 is a little bit more work to setup. I recommend to look at the include examples in TerrainComposer to get an idea to do good splat texturing. The basic would be to leave the first filter, shift click '+' on the filter and change the second filter input to 'Steepness', then enable 'Combine' in the first filter. This gives good looking splat texturing. You can add all kinds of variations with overlaying layers (filter output to 'Change', level layer) and masks.

2) I recommend to use Horizon[ON] for this. As it has a water shader and is very cheap in performance:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/31861

3) Yes sure. Without RTP can do it with a snow splat texture. But RTP has snow build in, where you can tweak it with sliders on height, steepness, etc, you can read about this in RTP documentation.

4). You don't need to assign objects to Unity terrain. TerrainComposer objects placement works on terrains and meshes and instantiates GameObjects. You can take a look into examples as they place stones. It's just simple drag&drop of objects from your Hierarchy or project in the object layer. Can click the '+' button to add more objects. For each object you have to create a parent, unfold object -> Settings -> Click in 'Parent', 'Create' button (shift click >Set All after you add more objects to the layer).

Nathaniel

_Luthien_ likes this.
  16. eagle555

eagle555

Yes this is annoying. This happened since Unity5. TerrainComposer uses the build in Unity curve system for this, the curve window is drawn on the Unity side. What you can do is send this video link to support@unity3d.com (telling that Unity curve window has this issue). Lets hope they fix it.

Nathaniel

_Luthien_ likes this.
  17. eagle555

eagle555

What you need in the second layer is set filter output to 'Change', 'Level' -> Layer. Then you add a mask and choose the same curve as you have in the filter. You can copy/paste this by clicking the 'Curve' button. A filter is for selection the splat textures from a layer, in your second layer you have only 1 splat texture so it will be always chosen, then a mask is for the paint amount of the splat texture (0 is nothing is painted, 1 the splat texture is fully painted).

Nathaniel

18. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Roy,

Seems like the area in the TC terrain list 'Local Area' tab has been changed. If you click the 'Max' button there and regenerate it should work correctly.

Nathaniel

19. eagle555

eagle555

Yes this is possible. You can either stretch a heightmap over multiple terrain with TC (in filter settings -> Stretch Mode -> Multi Terrain. Or import heightmap tiles from WM, I explain that in this video:

Nathaniel

20. eagle555

eagle555

Yes I recommend to use Horizon[ON] for terrain around the player, it's super fast in performance:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/31861

Nathaniel

21. eagle555

eagle555

What you need is a new layer (after your heightmap layer), with filter output to 'Change' and 'Level' -> Layer. Filter input to 'Always', then you need to add a mask and make a 16 bit raw grey scale heightmap where you want to create that flat area (mask input to 'Raw Heightmap').

Another easy and fast way is using Raycasting with any 3d mesh objects like cubes/spheres with a collider. I explain this in the TerrainComposer manual on page 31.

Nathaniel

22. khos85

khos85

I see Terrain composer V1.9 release notes show "intergration with RTPv3", could I ask for some more details on that, will it automatically work with existing scenes that when I 1)first add terraincomposer and my terrains, then 2) add RTP3? I've had some problems with this before and am just wary of updating any of the assets, I like to ask for details before hitting the download/Import button :) Apologies if there is more detailed docs about this somewhere, if so I would appreciate you to point me to that.

Thanks,
    Kim

23. MS80

MS80

Thanks Nathaniel, both of your suggestions work perfectly! :)
    I was close, but did not change level mode to layer.

24. ksam2

ksam2

Hi. I need to use light map on my terrain but when I use terrain composer it takes for ever to generate light map! why is that? (there is no object on the terrain! just empty terrain but it says 64 jobs to do!)

25. Wylaryzel

Wylaryzel

Darn... I have written a rather lengthy post and somehow the forum cannibaled it :-/

Anyway.. After several days playing with the different options (and there are far to many that it seems to take a lifetime to get used to them all :) ) I'm coming to a stage where I have a terrain how I want it to be. I figured out how to utilize the raycasting option to flatten the terrain below the boxes placed. Still in need of a proper tutorial - in general, I think this asset is like a raw diamond, which at least myself will not use the full potential as there are so many different options available which somehow influence others. Even if there is already a good base documentation available, I think in most areas it is still very high level. This is mainly a critic regards the small amount of tutorials available. The usability is very good - it would be even better if there would be tooltips available for all the options and may including hints into the tooltips. And the terrains created with the tool gets you speechless - especially utilizing RTP (which is a monster tool by itself).

Nevertheless, the reason for my post is the part for the random object placement. I can't get it properly running. Currently I only place boxes. To reduce the amount of boxes I have set the max number of boxes in the object layer itself to 10. The Terrain setup has a max size of 64 defined. With that setup TC always position the 10 boxes in the first terrain ( I have set 2x2 terrains). How I can achieve it that they are evenly distributed?

Next part I want to achieve is that the are randomly placed. I have deactived 'Position seed' in the layer and checked 'random position'. But I can't find the option where I can change to seed number - they stay the same place since the initial placement.
    Next I have set the scale of the boxes uniformly to 20 on all axes. But even if I checked 'prevent overlap' they are still overlapping.
    Another option I have checked was 'Look at parent' in the rotation foldout - but it seems that it doesn't do anything?

Maybe you can help me again with a tutorial or a rough step-by-step short guide. What I want to achieve is the following: The boxes should simulate houses. They should be randomly placed around the center of the terrain map (the parent object for the houses is already placed there) and only located where a certain splat texture is applied (currently gras).
    They should be rotated in that way that they look to the center of the village.

Sorry for my lengthy post and I hope you can help me :)

Best regards
    Wyl

26. twobob

twobob

Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js(17284,42): BCE0055: Internal compiler error: Value is less than UInt64.MinValue.

5.0.2f1

EDIT: I am updating to latest.
    SOLVED: All good in 1.9

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  27. twobob

twobob

upload_2015-5-22_2-11-39.png

bug in 1.9

clicking REMOVE ALL (SHIFT + CTRL + -) on grass.
    (which were all empty in the examples for some reason...)
    I had to load in the example from the prefab myself with "Open"

will try again manually this time.
    EDIT: Yup manual deletion/assignment worked okay...

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  28. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

So I'm looking at ways to improve performance, thinking about ways I can implement culling...does TerrainComposer have anything built in for this? I ask because stuff like trees or grass aren't actually GameObjects in the scene, so I don't know if a culling effect for just unity would work...any help here?

29. Marble

Marble

Terrain Composer is incredible. When I first bought it a couple years ago I didn't have the skills to make the most out of it, but now I'm finding ways to actually realize what I had imagined. That's such a satisfying step. Thanks Nathaniel!

I have a question about whether something is possible:

The raycast mask is really cool, but I want TC to ignore heightmap generation (use current value from terrain) when it returns a hit (0). It doesn't seem like that is possible currently, is it?

My use case is that I want to place buildings and pavement on a terrain and manually flatten the land under them, but not have TC mess with those parts of the terrain afterwards. I'd rather not have to do it with an image b/c synchronizing my prefabs with an imagemap is tedious.

30. Wylaryzel

Wylaryzel

What I have currently figured out was that I have two steps (maybe it could be easier): First I generate a heighmap, afterwards I place the objects on the terrain. Then I add a second layer on the heightmap with raycast -> height and turn the direction of the raycast-y axis to 1. The cast height is 0 and the cast length is the height of the terrain. The output is to change and the level is set to layer. In that way it shoots from bottom to top and flatten the terrain around the houses. So after I placed the objects I gave the heightmap generation a second pass.

Hope that helps

31. Marble

Marble

Superb. It works wonderfully. Thank you Wylaryzel!

twobob likes this.
  32. nomax5

nomax5

Workflow for RTP and Terrain composer

BTW Thanks for the help Nathaniel the max button worked.

I make my terrains in World machine and export them as .r16
    I can output all sorts of images like color maps flow AO splat maps normal maps etc.
    I generally edit the color map using flow deposit AO to make a nice colour map.

So I import FTP and TC into my project

What is the procedure then?

Do First set up RTP outside TC?

or do I import the terrain first generate it and then click the RTP button in TC?

I don't have it clear in my mind.

Roy

33. weasel47

weasel47

I'm running the beta / release candidate version Unity 5.1.0f1 and I get that error when I try to open the Terrain Composer window. The window doesn't display anything. This was with an existing project and scene that already had Terrain Composer in it.

34. ksam2

ksam2

I need to use light map on my terrain but when I use terrain composer it takes for ever to generate light map! why is that? (there is no object on the terrain! just empty terrain but it says 64 jobs to do!)

35. dbryson

dbryson

I am having a few problems trying to use Terrain Composer. I am running Unity 5.0.2p2 with the latest version of Terrain composer from the Asset Store. I downloaded and installed the example package.

When trying 'Procedural Islands' on a 2x2 terrain the TC locks and it's window goes blank and the Unity console fills up with a bunch of the following errors:

InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
    System.Collections.Stack.Peek () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections/Stack.cs:321)
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.EndLayoutGroup ()
    UnityEngine.GUILayout.EndVertical ()
    TerrainComposer.Paint () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:4221)
    TerrainComposer.OnGUI () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:919)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)​

Then I have to exit and restart Unity.

36. camel82106

camel82106

Hello,
    I have a problem with heightmap generation with versions > 1.72

In 1.72 everything is ok.
    In >= 1.8 I’m getting bad spikes when using raw heightmap to make base shape of terrain. (it’s eliminated if I set clamp to true)
    With clamp it’s better but still total height of terrain is off. (still I don’t think that clamp is needed in this case)

I have sent You repro project into email (14.5. subject Heightmap generation broken in 1.8).

Regards
    Peter

37. crypt0

crypt0

Hi,

i'm using terrain composer & world composer since 4 days - these are really cool tools, but i have some problems with my grass. I want to use mesh grass, but there is never coverage and i have no idea what i'm doing wrong.

Without terrain composer or terrain composer & texture grass i have no problems. Only terrain composer & mesh grass.

What i have to do, so that the grass is coverage? terraincomposer_mesh_grass.png

38. nomax5

nomax5

I cant find where I set the Texture tiling size, I used to set the rock texture to something like 40.

I've search the manual and watched the help videos which show a settings button / dropdown but I can't find it in TC or RTP

Cheers

Roy

39. Marble

Marble

In the Terrain foldout at the very top of any TC tab, there's an array of buttons. One is called "Splat Textures" (this is different from the "Splat" button at the top of the pane). Click on that, then you'll see all of the splats on your terrain. Under each of these is a foldout called "Settings," where you'll find a tiling size slider.

40. crypt0

crypt0

Hi,

i think i've found the solution (it was noise spread), but there is now another problem. Some grass (50/50) are upside down. how can i fix this? terraincomposer_mesh_grass_v2.png
    thanks!

41. Marble

Marble

I have a general question that someone might be able to answer for me:

I'm placing objects on my terrain but am only getting 64x64 (4096) objects of one type placed, even with a flat always-on filter. Is this a hard limit?

42. Wylaryzel

Wylaryzel

I think the max object setting is under in the terrain section -> Local Area Tab -> Object Resolution.

Autarkis likes this.
  43. Marble

Marble

So it is. Thanks! That was really bugging me.

44. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

As for using RTP with TerrainComposer...TerrainComposer generates standard Unity terrains, RTP works on standard Unity terrains. So there's actually no difference if you make terrains by hand with the Unity terrain tools or with TC and using RTP. What I did for RTP is added features in TC that everything can be setup much more quickly when using multi terrain tiles. I show this in this video:

As for setting up RTP you can watch Toms tutorial:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/5664 (here are the links)

Nathaniel

45. eagle555

eagle555

TerrainComposer generates standard Unity terrain. Lightmapping is done by the new Enlighten in Unity5, and yes it's seems to be a slower in general compared to Beast in Unity4. So this has nothing to do with TerrainComposer as it would also be slow if you create the terrains manually with the Unity terrain tools. You can contact Unity about this, and I hope they find ways to improve the lightbaking speed.

What you can do to disable this as it can slow down the Unity Editor is go to Unity Menu -> Window -> Lighting -> Disable 'Continues Baking'.

Nathaniel

ksam2 likes this.
  46. twobob

twobob

"seems to be a slower in general compared to Beast" that seems like a major understatement.
    Thanks for the multi-tile info

47. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

I will make more tutorials in the future if I have more time, at the moment I'm very busy.

You can't use the max number if you want boxes to be evenly spread, as it just stops generating after it places 10 boxes. You can control the amount with the object resolution in TC terrain list -> Local Area -> Object Resolution. And fine tune it with the layer strength. And can influence it with masks as well. Layer strength and mask value are multiplied with each other.

They are automatically randomly placed, you can change the seed number in the right bottom of the TerrainComposer window where it says 'Seed'. Look at parent is for multi level generation where you place objects around objects. The lookat option wasn't in TC, but I added it (import the ObjectGenerateUpdate package). It's in object settings and it's called 'Look at Object'. You can drag and drop a GameObject in there from your Hierarchy window for each object.
    As for distance you can use the distance tab for this and can set the minimum distance between each object. Another way to control this is to use the object resolution in TC terrain list -> Local Area -> Object Resolution. The placement on splat you can do with adding a mask to it with input on 'Splatmap'.

ObjectGenerate.jpg
    Nathaniel

Attached Files:

48. eagle555

eagle555

TerrainComposer generates standard Unity terrain. So for culling and performance we are depending on the Unity terrain engine. To improve culling you can use a multi terrain tile terrain, like 3x3. So terrains that are not visible to the camera are not rendered.

Nathaniel

49. eagle555

eagle555

Yes that's a perfect way to do it :).

Nathaniel

50. eagle555

eagle555

Can you show a screenshot of the error you get in the Unity console? TerrainComposer works fine here in Unity 5.1.0f2. If you have the <Generating> GameObject in your Hierarchy window, then deleting it will bring the TerrainComposer window back.

Nathaniel