Search Unity

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

Yes this is possible. You can enable/disable layers/filters/masks to switch between the terrains. You can put the layers in a layer group and active/deactivate the whole group.

Nathaniel

2. eagle555

eagle555

Doing a 14k heightmap, you must be in Unity5. The coming TerrainComposer version will be able to do non square terrain. If you contact me on my email Nathaniel_Doldersum@hotmail.com, I can send you a working version.

The munches has properly to do with the basemap distance, this needs to be set higher then the camera view distance. Or it can be the image import settings. If you share some screenshots I can see whats going on...

Nathaniel

3. AlanGreyjoy

AlanGreyjoy

If you don't mind, can you do a fast video or a maybe just a quick and dirty pdf on this?

4. pce

pce

Is terrain composer and RTP3 working with unity 5 yet?

i just got an email back, it all works with unity 5.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    cactusdan90 likes this.
  5. Fockerian

Fockerian

Thank u very much!

Best regards!

6. Cryonics

Cryonics

I just bought Terrain Composer and RTP.
    RTP seems to work just fine, but I can't get Terrain Composer to work. It just hangs on compiling scripts (they are outdated). I'll post an update if I make any progress. :(

7. sluice

sluice

Same here...

8. Pryzmeister

Pryzmeister

Since Unity 5 get "error in generate loop" when trying to generate splat maps.

9. mantekkerz

mantekkerz

Same problem. Downloaded most recent from Asset store, get Update API dialogue, then Unity just locks up once I tell it to update the scripts.

Edit: I ended Unity's process, restarted it and it's now working! Still get the odd script error but I got those in 4.6 sometimes too

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  10. Zerseu

Zerseu

Hello,

I'm currently having an issue with Terrain Composer while placing custom grass models/prefabs generated with Speed Tree. It works fine for trees, but the grass doesn't appear in the scene/game. I'm using Unity 5.

Thank you,
    Zerseu

11. Earthsnake

Earthsnake

Hello Nathaniel, I'm trying to use terrain composer example and generating procedural islands. And it happens that the grass won't appear as it should be, it looks like a square black objects on my scene. What could possibly happen?

Screenshot: black grass.JPG

Attached Files:

12. eagle555

eagle555

Well there's nothing fancy about it. You can disable/enable terrains/layers/filters/masks with the 'Act' (Activate) toggle they have. For example if you have 2 terrains, and create 2 heightmap layers, 1 for each terrain.

To generate both terrains:
    - Only enable terrain1.
    - Only enable height layer 1.
    - Click generate button
    - Only enable terrain2 (shift click the 'A' button, to invert activation).
    - Only enable height layer 2.
    - Click generate button.

Nathaniel

13. eagle555

eagle555

Just let it run, it can take about 5-10 minutes. After the api updater is finished it should work.

Today I will submit a new TC/WC version that work out of the box in U5.

Nathaniel

14. eagle555

eagle555

Make sure you shift click <Set All> in TC terrain list -> Splat textures. Today I will submit a TC update that has this issue fixed.

Nathaniel

15. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Zersue,

TC uses Unity's terrain grass system, default it on textures, so you can only place grass with the use of textures. You can also use detail meshes, and properly the option you need. To use this enable the 'Mesh' toggle on the left of the 'Add' button.

Nathaniel

16. eagle555

eagle555

This is because you properly have Advanced Foliage Shader in your project. You need to setup AFS according to it's documentation to get grass rendered correctly. If you try in an empty project without AFS, you will notice it works fine...

Nathaniel

Earthsnake likes this.
  17. laurent-clave

laurent-clave

Hi !
    Why the auto search never work for color et normal map ?

18. PixelSpice

PixelSpice

Terrain composer doesn't seem to process in Unity 5 when the application is not focused. Is this a Unity 5 bug, or do I need to reimport TC?

19. snacktime

snacktime

While I suspect this is a unity bug thought I would post it here.

I'm seeing generated terrains become corrupted. First my character controller started to fall through the terrain in specific places. It falls through and goes to say -100 or so then just stops, it's very strange. Then I noticed that in those same spots, the height brush in unity refuses to work, it just disappears when you mouse it over the bad areas.

This is on unity 5.

20. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Terrain Composser works fine for me in unity 5, just do what nat said and wait like 5 to 10 minutes depending on your pc specs, but after it will work...

im just wondering when the update for the new runtime will be available thanx

21. eagle555

eagle555

It should work. Do you shift click the '>Auto Search' button?

Nathaniel

22. eagle555

eagle555

Yes you need to have the Unity window focused for TC to continue generating, as Unity doesn't run the EditorWindow Update functions when out of focus.

Nathaniel

23. eagle555

eagle555

Yes that would be a Unity terrain bug, seems like the terraincollider data becomes corrupted. What Unity5 version are you using?

Nathaniel

24. eagle555

eagle555

I submitted the new TC/WC updates yesterday to the Asset Store. They work directly in U5 without the need of api updater...If you want to try you can send me your invoice id and I can send the download links.

Nathaniel

hopeful, John-G and llJIMBOBll like this.
  25. snacktime

snacktime

5.0.0f4

26. snacktime

snacktime

Wondering if anyone has a good solution for generating some type of boundaries for large open world games with TC.

I would hand paint in the edges to make mountains or slope it all down to turn it into an island, but I don't know how to get around the issue of painting height across terrain borders.

27. John-G

John-G

Check out the tutorial videos, I remember seeing one that covered that exact subject.

28. snacktime

snacktime

Ok so it looks like masks do what I need, now just need to figure out how to make them.

29. jalapen0

jalapen0

Will the new version allow non-square sets of terrains? I need a set of 16x8 terrains. thanks!

30. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

yes it does and 16 x 1, also the y has been flipped i noticed

jalapen0 likes this.
  31. jalapen0

jalapen0

I see Eagle says it's been submitted but it's still showing 1.52 for me.

32. OnePxl

OnePxl

It has to go through review first.

33. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

hi i found a few bugs, if you set your terrain any high than 1000 it doesn't render the .raw or procedural generated terrain to the whole tile... also if you set your resolution's any higher than 1024 or 250 height you get triangles see picture..
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwHnbBuRZU8kVTNXNHh1UDdkcVU/view?usp=sharing
    also
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwHnbBuRZU8kS2wyRkRvTUFDSzA/view?usp=sharing

this is example to show the resolution it only makes triangles on one side of the terrain, if you set it higher than 1024, i used smooth with this picture but still shows and at the top i changed to 1x1 and tick the box but still causing the problem..
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwHnbBuRZU8kS3JPRlB5WHgza28/view?usp=sharing

but a real nice feature is the example procedural islands, it actually slopes the whole terrain or multiple terrains to 0, so you don't have to spend ages smoothing the edges to sea/ground level

Thanx again
    this is unity 5 and tc 1.7

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  34. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

You can use a mask for this. I explain in these tutorials (use a 16 bit raw grey scale image instead of 8 bit images, as I do in the first video):
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/tutorials/
    TerrainComposer tutorial about filters, masks and curves (New)
    Help Video Heightmap and splat texturing mask

Nathaniel

35. eagle555

eagle555

Yes it does support non-square terrains. If you import from WorldMachine I made TC's tile system the same as WM's now, so in WM and TC you won't need to flip y anymore.

llJIMBOBll thanks a lot for reporting the bug. The area doesn't scale with the size, you can change this in the 'Local Area' tab, click the 'Max' button and shift click <Set All>. I fixed this bug and also added total flip x/y for importing raw files. You can redownload TC from the link I gave, with this fix and new total flip x/y feature...

Yes I submitted the new TC/WC and we have to wait for the Asset Store staff to approve it.

Nathaniel

jalapen0 and llJIMBOBll like this.
  36. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

wow thankyou so much :D

37. elmar1028

elmar1028

Hi,

Bought TerrainComposer and I love it a lot :D

However, when I want to make massive mountains, terrains hit the height limit. Is there a setting to increase that limit, or I should change heightmap of each terrain one-by-one in native terrain settings?

38. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

Thank you for the purchase :). Yes you can change the height limit to any size in TC terrain list -> 'Size' tab -> Y -> Shift click <Fit All>.

Nathaniel

elmar1028 likes this.
  39. elmar1028

elmar1028

Got it working! Much appreciated :)

BTW I have noticed when you're generating heightmaps, splatmaps, grass etc. the process isn't working in the background when I hide a Unity window or switch TerrainComposer tab to another window.
    Could be nice if it was working in the background. Just a suggestion :p

40. Rico21745

Rico21745

Hey Nathaniel, I bought TC from you individually before it was in the Asset Store and wanted to convert it to the asset store version so I can continue getting updates. I sent an email but haven't gotten a reply, so I figured I'd hit you up here to check.

41. PiAnkh

PiAnkh

Exporting Tree Map

Hi Nathaniel

I am trying to export a tree map from TC to fake shadows under the trees, for example by colouring the terrain or using RTP. According to the manual I can export by selecting tree output and enabling the export button. But nothing is happening when I do that.
    I get am error messgae
    "count create asset file. The object you are trying to replace does not exist or is not a prefab"
    Am I missing something?

Thanks
    Ronan

42. MS80

MS80

Hi! Purchased WorldComposer and TerrainComposer (and RTP), great products and fun to play with! It will take a while to understand how to use all those functions and features but I got some very nice results for the beginning...

Anyway, I have a question;)
    How to correctly convert the height/scale of a WorldComposer generated terrain in TerrainComposer?
    WorldComposer default height is 9000 (scale1), generated terrain looks correct AND the height is like in the real world! BUT its not possible to work with splat textures and filter height because the max. calculated heigth of my terrain is 0.021 and not something about 1!! Example: I have a small island, around 200m height, but the overall captured height is 9000, so if I calculate the max height it will result in Max Height 200 (0.02)! If I generate the terrain with 200 height it will result in a very flat terrain...

43. Becoming

Becoming

You can take the output heightmap and use photoshop to level it, so its range goes from pitch black to pure white. If you use the leveled heithmap you can then just generate the terrain with the height set to the highest point of your area... you could also just set the terrain height to 9000 and use the heightmap directly... either way works but i prefer to level the heightmap so it uses its full dynamic range.

44. MS80

MS80

Thanks @Becoming! But I can't open it in photoshop with 16bit, an error appears: "specified image is larger than file", tried extra pixel 513x513, too?! Any ideas? To use height direclty with 9000 is no option because it will result in small relative max heigth (0.02)...maybe I am missing an option??

45. Becoming

Becoming

when you open it in PS you will be prompted with this dialog:
    raw.jpg
    channels need to be set to 1 and depth to 16 bit... byteorder need to be either mac or ibm pc, depending on how you exported the map from unity...

46. MS80

MS80

Thanks, was not sure if this is the way to go, but you proofed it. Found a place with a 15 heightmap zoom, the exported heightmap could be used inside terraincomposer but did not open in photoshop! Did it again with zoom lvl 14 and now it works!
    The method seems to work, I used "levels" to pitch the heightmap!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  47. Becoming

Becoming

You can remap the height with TC alone too, but this method was the first to come to my mind. Usually i do an errosion pass with worldmachine and need to level the heightmap anyway.

48. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Rico,

Sorry I missed your mail. I replied back to you now ;).

Nathaniel

Rico21745 likes this.
  49. eagle555

eagle555

This doesn't seem to work with Unity5, hopefully they make it work again.

Nathaniel

50. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Ronan,

A tree map in TC is actually a prefab with a list of all tree instances (position,rotation, color,etc). If you want to have shadows on your trees you can bake a lightmap for this. To get this working you need to have cast shadows enabled in the settings of each terrain tile. You can enable it for all terrains in TC terrain list -> Settings -> Cast shadows.

Nathaniel