Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

I explained this many times in the forum, even made a feature request for it to Unity and they are working on it now.
    http://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/improved-unity-terrain-core-engine

The issue is not with TerrainComposer as it uses standard Unity terrain, the 'issue' is with Unity terrains, and the same thing would happen if you create them manually. Unity Editor is 32bit, so your memory limitation is 3GB. And another limitation is performance, so you have to choose correct resolutions to not run out of memory on a massive terrain. I recommend to use not more then total of 2k resolutions for heightmap/splatmap/grass(detail)maps...

Nathaniel

2. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Patrick,

A+B). You need to use an empty GameObject as parent to get correct combining. parent_objects.jpg

Just click the 'Create' button next to parent, to create it automatically.

C). Ah yes if you want to be able to read from images, you have to put them uncompressed format in image import settings, this is something generally for using textures in Unity.

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-TextureImporter.html
    Read/Write Enabled
    Select this to enable access to the texture data from scripts (GetPixels, SetPixels and other Texture2D functions). Note however that a copy of the texture data will be made, doubling the amount of memory required for texture asset. Use only if absolutely necessary. This is only valid for uncompressed and DTX compressed textures, other types of compressed textures cannot be read from. Disabled by default.

Nathaniel

3. RealSoftGames

RealSoftGames

https://www.dropbox.com/s/idayay7dy1fsytm/Untitled.png?dl=0

here is the link for my splatlayer

4. iamsteele

iamsteele

I didn't notice any tips in the video tutorials or on the FAQ part of the website so I'll ask it here:

How do you get the RTP button to appear? I literally have looked everywhere and I don't see the same menu that you show in your RTP integration video.

EDIT
    Found it, its hidden under each terrain individually.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  5. hlx

hlx

Hello all, Hi Nathaniel

I imported from worldmachine a 16bits heightmap (*.r16) and have an issue about the precision I get (see screenshot). Is there a way to fix it (smooth checkbox is on in my heightmap layer) ? Is there a height scaling factor that I have to set somewhere in Terraincomposer ? Regards.
    upload_2014-10-27_16-57-2.png

6. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

That is not the splatmap layer, it is when you scroll futher down (it's color is yellow), the filter is blue and you have to disable the toggles next to random curve in the filter (blue color).

Nathaniel

7. eagle555

eagle555

Yes it is in the <Splat Textures> under each terrain. As you need to assign 4 or 8 splat textures first before RTP script can be assigned to each terrain.

Nathaniel

8. eagle555

eagle555

That is properly how it is exported from WM, as in WM preview you can't see the fine detail that good. You can use smoothing in the 'Quick Tools' foldout (It's under the TC Terrain list).

Nathaniel

9. protopop

protopop

I find Terrain Composer indispensable - thank you for it. I've used it for my App Store game BrightRidge:

I want to rebuild my game from scratch. What is the best way to export my terrain fsettings rom one project to a new one?

I will import all the trees, grass and heighmaps used by TC into the new project. The i'd like to import all the layers Ive saved. is this possible or is there a better way to do it? Maybe I should delete everything from the original project except the terrain and export the sene as a package?

MotuProprio likes this.
  10. RealSoftGames

RealSoftGames

is there a possible way to edit the terrains as one big one, without having to click on them manually to model them?

11. protopop

protopop

I couldnt figure this out so i ended up manually writing down the settings in the orginal project and typing them in the new one - tedious and with some differences but it works in a pinch:)

12. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

The terrain in your game looks really awesome :D.

You can save/load a TerrainComposer project in the TC Menu -> File. It will be saved as a prefab, you can export these prefabs as a Unity package and import them in the other project. You can do the same with the trees,grass and heightmaps. Best would be to export them into 1 Unity package, as references wouldn't be broken then.

Nathaniel

protopop likes this.
  13. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

Are you talking about Unity terrain brush tools? This is not possible, but Unity is working on a new terrain system were I think this is possible. Or TerrainComposer? As TerrainComposer does handle terrains as 1 big terrain. It has <Set All> buttons under each category like splat textures/grass/trees, that will apply those to all terrains. Also generating happens on multiple terrains without doing any effort.

Nathaniel

14. sub_domain

sub_domain

Hi, sorry for posting possibly already answered questions, but when I use the terrain composer tool to generate a terrain from 9 parts, and I edit it in unity terrain tools to smooth certain parts for roads etc, when I reach the edge of the terrain and I try to continue the editing on the other neighboring terrain, I can never make it fit to each again, no matter what I do. Any combo or something which elimitates the gaps between 2 terrains in the edges when you change them in terrain tool?

Second question, I generated terrains, created scene on them, then started a new scene in the same project, and generated terrains again, and saved them to a new scene. Then I loaded the 1st scene, and I noticed the terrain heightmaps were overwritten by the 2nd scene terrains or something like that. Is there a way to set unique names for the generated terrain prefabs, so if I make a new scene, the new terrain prefabs wont overwrite the previous ones? (I used the terrain composer examples pack when I generated terrains, but I exchanged models and textures etc)

15. toxtronyx

toxtronyx

I am not related to Terrain Composer but I am using it extensively.
    1. Have you checked if all your terrains in one scene have the Terrain Neighbours Script attached to and of course have the corresponding Terrain Data added to the slots?

2. You need new Terrain Data for your new scene. So the best way to do in your case is opening the Terrain Composer Window in your new scene and set new names for the Terrain Data. Check the Tutorials how to start from scratch. Sometimes it is neccessary to press the search button in the Terrain section (should be the second top layer in the Terrain Composer window. And don't ask how often I overwrote my terrain data ;-)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  16. sub_domain

sub_domain

Thanks for the reply, yes, the neighbors script is there, and the assigned terrains too in the slots. As for the 2nd part, I will try it when I get home, I hope I can rename this even after the terrain is generated, if not then the next one will be better :)

17. protopop

protopop

Thanks Nathaniel. That's exactly waht I was looking for. And thansk for teh compliment. Before i found terrain Composer I was placing all my vegetation in BrightRidge by hand, but it was next to impossible to recreate my work if I changed the project.

thanks to Terrain Composer I can go back and extensive edit things and then just click Generate and everything is back the way i set it. Again it's a really indispensable too for world design:)

18. protopop

protopop

Unity 5 Compatibility

I just got Unity 5 and I'm wondering if terrain Composer is safe to use, or should we wait for an update? (or maybe it's already compatible). Thanks:)

19. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

1). If you are doing manual editing with the Unity terrain brushes, then indeed height difference can occur at the terrain borders, since only 1 terrain can be edited at the time with them. You can stitch the borders with the stitch tool in TerrainComposer. This is located in the Quick Tools foldout under the TC terrain list. It's best to use a low 'border influence' value. Before you do stitching be sure to have a backup of your heightmap of each terrain. You can export the heightmaps with TC if you enable 'Height' output button and 'Export' button in the top of TC window.

2). Yes this question is asked before. I will add it to the trouble shooting page on the TerrainComposer website. It's like toxtronyx mentioned...
    Unity terrains are not stored in a Scene or in the TerrainComposer project, but in a folder in your project as a class of TerrainData with the file extension .asset. TerrainComposer projects only saves all the settings and layers,etc, a very small file which can be used in runtime to generate terrains on the fly, or in a new Scene to regenerate new terrains. What you see in the hierarchy is a Terrain instance which references to the TerrainData in your project. So in the Hierarchy it's not the real terrain. If you create a terrain with TerrainComposer you can choose the folder and filename to save it to in your project. If you create terrains with the example 'Create Terrain' button, the terrains are automatically stored in the folder TerrainComposer Examples/Terrains. So if you want to use the example terrains in different Scene, you have to create the terrains with the TC Terrain list one, where you can choose the file and folder.
    You can drag and drop terrainData's from the project in the Hierarchy window to get a Terrain instance from it. You can also drag and drop the Empty GameObject parent TerrainComposer makes (where all terrains are child of) into your project to create a prefab from it. If you drag and drop the prefab into a new Scene your terrains with the right positions will be there again

Nathaniel

20. eagle555

eagle555

I'm glad you like it :). Yes TerrainComposer is save to use in Unity 5. Although Unity 5 is still in beta, and have to be more carefull when working with beta's, so more backuping, etc.

Nathaniel

protopop likes this.
  21. VCRhythm

VCRhythm

Nathaniel,
    Could you provide an explanation on how to properly add a runtime created terrain to tc_script.terrains? I'm having trouble understanding how to convert a Terrain object to a TerrainComposer terrain_class object.

Thanks!
    Tristan

22. recon0303

recon0303

Nathaniel finally they have TC on sale, I been asking for month, this was the last Asset I needed to finish a game I'm working on, I have WC, Snappy tools and now TC.

Keep up the good work, I already have been using TC from my company, now I have my own personal one. Thanks for such a great asset, I can't wait to see TC2 with the new GUI.

I been checking the asset store daily for nearly 4 months , I,m glad that is over now !!

23. unitynewb

unitynewb

Can I use this to build a city if I get it with easy roads? I am talking about a city that you drive in? Example with lights, streets, buildings and intersections?

24. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Tristan,

Like this -> tc_terrains.terrains[..].terrain =
    The terrain_class you can see in terraincomposer_classes.js (line 96).
    You can take a look at the TerrainComposer_Save GameObject in the Hierarchy. In the inpector you can find the terrains class variable and see how it is assigned.

Nathaniel

25. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

Thank you very much for asking and for the purchaces :D.

Nathaniel

26. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

TerrainComposer has advanced object placement where you can use many rules, like the colors from an image, minimum distance between objects, random scale, rotation, etc. So yes you can use it to make a city, you might have to do some manual adjustments though.

Nathaniel

27. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

Have a couple of questions.

The first is how do I get thicker grass?

The other question is I am using grass meshes and some of the grass is ending upside down on the terrain. I set the noise to 1 which helps a little but there is still a lot of upside down grass.

28. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

Figured out the upside down grass. I was using terrain composer to add grass. When you go into the inspector and open up each grass they all go right side up.

29. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

How in the world do i make the mesh grass smaller? I went into terrain > grass setting > and dropped the scale way down. But everything is still really big and MUCH bigger then the actual original grass mesh model.

Some of the grass is SUPPPER SUPPER SUPPER smaller. Some is huge. But most of it is really big. I would say in the range of 4-6 ft call.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  30. eagle555

eagle555

I recommend to place grass in as billboard textures not as detail mesh. Billboard textures are way faster in performance. If you want more density you have to raise the grass resolutions in TC terrain list -> Resolutions -> Grass resolution.

The issue with placing detail meshes is that they are placed upside down by Unity terrain shader, this is a very old bug. You can get it better by playing with the noise spread value. For the sizes you need to adjust the settings under each detail mesh slot.

Nathaniel

31. eagle555

eagle555

Hello everybody!

TerrainComposer is on the Bonaza sale for $45!, make sure to get it if you don't have it yet...Special thanks to Recon0303 who asked Asset Store staff to put TC on a sale...

I made 2 new showcase videos. I never made a runtime video of the 24 hour demo and the Ufs demo (which we never released). In the second video I show the difference between using RTPv3 and withour RTPv3...Tom and me asked many times the Asset Store staff to feature RTP and put it on a sale, but somehow it is ignored, why? Good question, we all like to know...Would be great if you guys help Tom and ask the Asset Store staff to give RTP the featuring it deserves, so he can continue his awesome work. As all Unity3d terrain games that have cool terrain like 'The Forest', 'Beasts of Prey' and 'Wasteland 2', make heavily use of RTPv3, as without it...Eh Unity's terrain shader is 10 years behind lets be honest here...

Nathaniel

and

32. HuskyPanda213

HuskyPanda213

In terrain composer can you create randomly generated terrains at runtime?

33. eagle555

eagle555

Yes you can. Everything is available at runtime as well. I created a runtime package with example scripts in Unity script and C#.
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/runtime/

Nathaniel

34. Homer-Johnston

Homer-Johnston

Learning TC for the first time - lots to learn and a bit confusing but love it so far! Quick question; I'm trying to use tiled terrains, importing raw heightmaps. I've figured out how to use a filter with raw heightmap as input and it works - but I can't figure out what the >Auto Search button is for. I am assuming it's supposed to automatically populate the Raw File List, but I can't seem to get it to work. I have several .raw files saved as Assets\Desert\height_x#_y#.raw ... can you give me any info? Thanks!

35. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

Yes sure. I made tutorials for this, you can see in here:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/tutorials
    Help Video Importing Heightmaps

If you need more help, let me know ;).

Nathaniel

36. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

grass1.jpg - normal grass. with 2048 resolution. Is there some way to get it thicker? Its still really thin.

grass2.jpg - Normal grass that is ending up side down?

grass_mesh_upside_down.jpg - upside down grass mesh. at 1 noise.

grass_mesh_SUPPER_small.jpg - terrain composer generates mesh grass that is SUPPER large and SUPPPER small stuff? Is there some way to just make not randomize stuff like this? It also does it with trees.

grass_mesh_SUPPER_large.jpg - Showing how large the mesh gras is from terrain composer. Its 2 cubes tall (6ft) The original mesh is probably 1/10th that size.

Attached Files:

37. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

grass_mesh_SUPPER_large.jpg - if i go into inspector and double click each mesh grass they ALL go right side up. The size goes to pretty much the same. But they are big. Much bigger then .1 should be.

Attached Files:

38. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

TerrainComposer uses standard Unity terrain, and this is an issue in Unity terrain, not in TerrainComposer. If you would paint everything by hand you will get the same issue. Yes meshes are placed upside down, that's why I recommend to use billboard mode instead. It's a very old bug that never got fixed by Unity. I recommend to make a bug report and send to Unity. It's also a bit pitty to use this mode, because 50% being drawn upside down is wasting a lot of performance. As for the grass meshes being bigger, might have to do with the scale in your mesh import settings, you can lower the scale there.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/problem-with-detail-mesh.114936/

Nathaniel

39. Ivamaky

Ivamaky

I have a peculiar problem, iam using a worldmachine imported heightmap and all generations work fine except trees, if i generate my tree layer all my trees end up underneath my terrain by a good margin, they do however follow the terrain, its just as if all trees are misplaced on the y axis. If i mass place the trees via terrain in unity editor, it woks fine but obviously without the advantages of masks and so on. any idea?

40. Ivamaky

Ivamaky

update, i managed to find the option to change the height of the layer, but it turns out the trees are also slightly missalighned along the terrain, as if the height scale was changed by a factor, so trees are still underneath the hight terrain points but allready above the lower terrain points.

Attached Files:

41. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

Maybe there's something wrong with the pivot of your tree model, it should be at the base of the tree. But if mass placement works...strange. The only setting in TC were height can be influenced is in 'Added Height' to each tree if you unfold it in the layer. If the pivot is correct it should be on 0.

Nathaniel

trees.jpg

42. Ivamaky

Ivamaky

yeah i found this option, i alos tried other tree models including yours from the example and i get the same issue, making me believe it may be something to do with the terrain rather than the trees? but grass and splatmaps render perfectly fine.

as said before i can adjust the hegiht with the option, however the trees do not follow the terrain precicely, it more like the tree layer is smoothed out to 50% of the original terrain, ergo if i adjust the height of trees, they are still under the ground in raised terrain and when the terrain goes into valleys the trees are floating

43. Ivamaky

Ivamaky

Solved it, it turned out there was a discrepancy between the terrain in hierarchy and terrain settings in terrain composer, Terrain composer was set to terrain height of 500, while the actual terrain was set to 250, i raised the actual terrain to 500 then lowered both to 250 and now everything aligns

hooray!

44. Danz112

Danz112

Hi,

I have two problems:
    1) the splatmap always results in a blank terrain for some weird reason. I even tried with the examples...
    2) I'm having some performances issues. My computer has an i5 2410M @ 2.30 GHz, 6GB of DDR3, Windows7 64 bit. GeForce GT540M. Nothing exactly "top level" by any means but neither a piece of crap.
    I created a terrain that's 100 X 100 Y 100 Z, maintained very low resolutions for everything (mostly at 256), set an acceptable grass and tree density, but the Editor window becomes almost non-usable. Is it really because of my computer, or are there some performance settings that I should check? I even got a couple of "fatal errors" at the beginning lol

edit: oh and, my trees are all too near each other. That's me being noob, I know. But I can't find the settings so that they're created not as near each other.
    Thank you

45. eagle555

eagle555

Ah ok, yes that's a matter of shift clicking <Get All> in terrain size tab. Glad it is working now :).

Nathaniel

46. eagle555

eagle555

Can you show some screenshots of your issue? The performance issue is proberly of too many trees and grass on the Unity terrains.

Nathaniel

47. VCRhythm

VCRhythm

Really fantastic. I now have my system creating terrains at runtime based on the player's position and generating heightmaps and splatmaps on the fly!

However, the one thing I can't figure it is how to keep the existing heightmap in place (i.e., the terrain the character is standing on) while randomly generating heightmaps for the newly created terrains that also take into account the seams with the existing terrain.

My process is as follows:
    1. Create 3 new terrains, add them to tc_Script.terrains, and set in appropriate positions
    2. Set neighbors for all 4 terrains based on terrain positions
    3. Deactivate 1 existing terrain that player is standing on so that heightmap does not regenerate
    4. Randomize Heightmaps
    5. Generate Heightmaps for 3 new terrains
    6. Generate Splatmaps for 3 new terrains

The 3 new terrains generate and look wonderful next to each other. They just do not currently match up with the seams of the 1 existing terrain due to step 4 when I add randomization into the heightmaps. Any advice on creating random terrain while staying consistent with existing?

Thanks again Nathaniel!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    Arkade likes this.
  48. Danz112

Danz112

Hi,

I could paste you the screen but it's really just a blank Terrain (yes, the example splatmaps are all there, but even if I shiftclick "Set" nothing happens)". I will post it anyway if you still need it.

Just now I noticed that the issue appears in the Console, which will probably be more useful for you:
    ArgumentException: Getting control 10's position in a group with only 10 controls when doing Repaint
    Aborting
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutGroup.GetNext () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/EditorGenerated/GUILayoutUtility.cs:513)
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.DoGetRect (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/EditorGenerated/GUILayoutUtility.cs:276)
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.GetRect (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/EditorGenerated/GUILayoutUtility.cs:259)
    UnityEngine.GUILayout.DoButton (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/EditorGenerated/GUILayout.cs:44)
    UnityEngine.GUILayout.Button (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/EditorGenerated/GUILayout.cs:39)
    TerrainComposer.OnGUI () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:799)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

step by step I just:
    - created a new scene
    - set the size as 100 - 100 - 100
    - clicked on "New Terrain".

It is a blank project with no other assets imported...

As for the performance issue, unfortunately I had already reduced the density to a minimum. Yes, there was some grass and some trees but really not that many. If this sounds like news to you then yeah, I guess it's my computer after all =(.

edit: tried to reimport the asset and now it's working when I click "Set" for the splat textures. I'm sorry, I don't know what to say. edit2: okay, I think I'm about to give up. I keep getting errors like " ArgumentException: Getting control 0's position in a group with only 0 controls when doing Repaint Aborting" when I try to change a terrain...
    I still have the problems that the trees are created too near each others (click for a screen), could you tell me how to avoid that?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  49. swogdog

swogdog

I'm trying to get this running in Unity 5 beta 11. It tries to do the ScriptUpdater but gets stuck. Is this a beta problem, or something that can be fixed? I'd like to try this out in Unity beta, but understand if this isn't something worth looking into just yet.

The error starts with this but gets really long, so I just included the beginning if it gives any lead:

Could not start compilationException: Failed running ScriptUpdater.exe its output was:stdout:
    stderr:

Unhandled Exception:
    System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Cannot be negative.

Parameter name: length​

Thanks!

50. RealSoftGames

RealSoftGames

Hi i have had a lot of issues with terrain composer lately, doesn't help i'm still learning Unity. but is it possible to create a heightmap and generate that within terrain composer, im getting a lot of the randomly generated islands, not the way an island should look. if you know what i mean. they are not particularly creating an island with a beat enough to cover the outsides with wwater and put up colliders for people not to walk in the water etc. just stopping the map and thats it.

so my other approach is making a height map then edit it till i get what i am after. please let em know if this is possible and where i can find these settings.