Search Unity

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. eagle555

eagle555

Thanks for contacting. TC2 uses standard Unity terrain. That depends on which detail you want this to be? If it's like Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, which is super ambitious as it actually streams in all satellite images because they are 2000 peta bytes and can't be stored locally on a PC. Unity terrain is not made for this...

2. bobAZ2019

bobAZ2019

standard Unity terrain is fine as long as the terrain generates during game play.
    example, right now, if i choose a terrain size of 500 x 500, it is set at that number.
    i want to be able to have the terrain expands in the camera view as the PLAYER goes outside of the original 500x500.

3. eagle555

eagle555

TC2 can do terrain streaming, but you won't have a view distance like in MS FS2020...

4. AtomsInTheVoid

AtomsInTheVoid

If you're making a decently large world, you might wanna know there's a new way to fly around your scene all the cool kids are using. Once you see this you'll wonder why no ones thought of this before!

Just point off in the distance and fly! Preview camera let's you know where you'll land and you can even adjust the final view before you jump. You'll save tons of time and even have fun exploring your beautiful worlds.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/scene-pilot-177244

5. eagle555

eagle555

The preview is a neat idea indeed. Actually my Debugging Essentials has a runtime camera which you can override anytime where you can click, focus, follow objects and deep inspecting them, where purpose is debugging, inspecting, making screenshots or exploring. And that's just a tiny part of it:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  6. Wim-Wouters

Wim-Wouters

Hi,
    I've owned Terrain Composer for quite some time now, but only just got around to using it for a commercial project... and having a lot of fun doing so.
    To optimize performance for mobile devices and web-browsers I was thinking to export my generated terrains as mesh. I see this was available in 1.3, but can't find any reference to it in v2...
    Is this option still available?

Thank you and kind regards,
    Wim

7. eagle555

eagle555

Hi,

Thanks for contacting. You can use this wiki script for it:
    http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/TerrainObjExporter

syscrusher likes this.
  8. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

Hi Everybody!
    Come join me today as I talk with Nathaniel @eagle555 live on my twitch stream!
    www.twitch.tv/TheMessyCoder

We go live 6PM UK time, so that's 10am PT, 1PM ET, and 8PM EET

We will be talking about TC2, Mesh Combine Studio, Debugger Essentials and playing DRONE!
    ALSO GIVING AWAY PRESENTS!!!!!!!!!!! Its always nice to get some stuff for free!

nathaniel_.jpg

9. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

10. gecko

gecko

Is there any way to set the Bend Factor on trees when assigning them to TC terrains? I have 64 terrains, would rather not have to open each tree on each terrain and change that...

11. eagle555

eagle555

Yes you can do it in the TerrainArea Inspector and apply to all terrains:
    upload_2020-11-28_20-1-25.png

gecko likes this.
  12. gecko

gecko

D'oh!

13. brokendreamer

brokendreamer

I'm new to TC2.
    The ability to move terrain features around is Fantastic! Making experimental real time changes in Play Mode has really speeded up map development.

Question:
    Has anybody found a way to smooth the intersection between two stamps?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  14. eagle555

eagle555

Thanks for contacting and I'm glad to hear you like TC2 :)

Smoothing intersections can be done with the curves like this:
    upload_2020-12-27_10-44-35.png

syscrusher likes this.
  15. kamicth

kamicth

hello, this look like crasy.

i'm using space graphic toolkit to generate and populate several systems at scale.
    i'm not satisfied with the terain gneneration of planets, but TC2 would replace this feature if it intended for LODed multi tiles planet sized spherical terrain.

so is it possible to use TC2 for this purpose ?

16. aler_buffon

aler_buffon

Hi, does this tool have support for working with mesh terrains, is there a conversion from regular terrain to mesh terrain?

17. eagle555

eagle555

Hi thanks. TerrainComposer2 uses Unity terrain, so this is not really possible.

Hi, not directly as it's using Unity terrain. But you can convert Unity terrain to a mesh with e.g. this script:
    https://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/TerrainObjExporter

18. marcrem

marcrem

Hi,

You seem to be the only result in the entire internet with that error. It's a long shot cause it's been a while, but did you find a solution for that error?

19. lmtm

lmtm

Trees density problem.

Hi,
    when I generate trees in TC1, trees density can be set to 1024 and the is possible to generate terrain like this :

upload_2021-3-2_18-3-34.png

This is controlling picture :

upload_2021-3-2_18-2-46.png
    But in TC2 is result like this :
    upload_2021-3-2_18-4-44.png

Can You help me, what can I do with TC2 to have same tree density?

Thank You,

Milos.

P.S. Terrain is 4096*4096m, control picture is same resolution, I'm on Unity2020. In Unity terrain editor is no problem to draw same density of trees as in TC1.

20. lmtm

lmtm

I found solution : Smaller number=higher density.
    Milos.

upload_2021-3-2_18-58-28.png

hopeful likes this.
  21. heXzoN

heXzoN

Was trying to achieve this. How exactly can you deactivate/activate manually placed objects if they are on an activate tile ?

22. alphabean11

alphabean11

I have been struggling the past few days on an issue in TC2 that I really need some help with. I’m trying to use the collision node. I setup a cube with the TC_AutoGenerate script, I added a collision node and a mask collision node. And then when I generate on my terrain, it crashes (no trees or grass, even removed splatmaps). I tested this on the example scene, and it works fine there. So what could be causing it to crash on my terrain? I have Microsplat and nature renderer, so I don’t know if they could possibly be causing it? I’ve also attached the error that pops up when it crashes.

Attached Files:

23. Felixsg

Felixsg

I read this in the document (at the end):
    "
    Unity crashes when using the Collision Node.

This is an issue on Unity’s side and can happen for objects that are detected with an unusual third party shader. For example on a water shader. The solution is to put such GameObject that uses the shader on a separate Unity layer and don’t add this layer to the collision node."

Hope can help you

24. aganm

aganm

how did you apply the color map to your terrain?

I only see the splat map on my terrain but none of my colors. I have a 5x5 tile terrain, If I export my color map it creates 25 images. How do I apply the color to the terrain?

25. joeysipos

joeysipos

A couple bugs I having issues with. First I can t set the splat map resolution, or basemap resolution to 4k, it gets stuck on 2k and can't go any higher... I am needing it at 4k resolution.

Also, when I turn off the trees, or grass inside the terrain composer window, they don't disappear. Even when I hit the refresh or generate buttons above. To make them disappear again I have to regenerate the terrain again which is a big inconvenience.

Thanks, using URP 2019.4. I hope these bugs can be resolved soon.
    upload_2021-5-20_14-10-55.png

26. JJ-Jabb

JJ-Jabb

Hi joeysipos, are you still having problems? I can look into the splatmap/basemap resolution - it is set to 2k max in TC2 but I can track down what needs to be changed for you (I think it's just a couple of scripts). Keep in mind that those resolutions don't affect the resolution of the texture that you are rendering for splats - if you import a 4k texture (and set it's import resolution to 4k), it will render at 4k on the terrain; the splatmap resolution defines how small those splats can be (the higher the resolution the smaller the splats and the more splats you can have in a given area).

As for the trees and grass, I will have to take a look at that in URP 2019.4 and get back to you.

twobob likes this.
  27. heh223

heh223

Hi,

I have a little problem. My trees that are generated with TC2 don’t have a box/mesh collider. When I started doing a project, trees had a collider, but now they don’t and I have no idea what happened. Is there any known reason how this happened?

28. twobob

twobob

Dev has posted since feb. (but he was on last week)

(And I like Nathaniel) but those are the facts

EDIT: hmm. missing colliders would seem to infer that either a) the actual model changed or b) the colliders are still there but since they don't "work" you presume they aren't (I cant see anything so it's wild assumption time)

With say a screenshot of the offending item (before being broken and after) and your setup. someone might be able to help you more.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  29. JJ-Jabb

JJ-Jabb

I'm helping with support and maintenance, mostly on Discord

chelnok and twobob like this.
  30. twobob

twobob

31. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

I'm sure there's a way to do this, but I don't know how: How would I "stamp" the terrain generation results with TC2, disconnect it from the current terrain objects (so they remain), and then use it on a second terrain object?

32. r137

r137

I have a similar issue. is there a detailed guide for terrain stamping with color maps feature?

How can we stamp color maps with height? I have World Composer outputs as color map and height map raw files but I am not sure how to use them with TC2.

33. SgtLame

SgtLame

This asset is abandoned by its author, but his Discord has someone giving support: https://discord.gg/Q2yTQKQC

34. che1974

che1974

Hello,

I get quite a lot (125) shader warnings on Android Build Setting.
    Unity Version 2021.3.25.f1

Android.png Fehler.png
    ---------------------------
    Shader warning in 'TC_Compute': use of potentially uninitialized variable (h1) at kernel CurrentBlurNormal at TC_Compute.compute(3303) (on vulkan)
    Shader warning in 'TC_Compute': Buffer count exceeding default GL_MAX_SHADER_STORAGE_BUFFER_BINDINGS. Shader might not work on all hw. Consider combining separate buffers into one containing struct elements. at kernel CalcObject (on gles3)

Does anyone have a solution for me?