Search Unity

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Thorsun

Thorsun

I've got a bit of a dilemma with your island example/tutorial. When I create the terrain tiles, they are all red. The color and splatmap settings don't change this. Could you help clue me in what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

2. eagle555

eagle555

Can you send me a screenshot up close to the terrain and far away? to my email address nathaniel_doldersum@hotmail.com

I think you might have an additional terrain shader in your project.

Nathaniel

3. Lanaany

Lanaany

4. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Lanaay,

TerrainComposer uses standard Unity terrain. So with an additional terrain shader like RTPv3 you can use it. There's also a free substance terrain shader if I remember correctly.

Nathaniel

5. kerryenfinger

kerryenfinger

Nathaniel,

Do you have an ETA of when the new version will be out?

6. eagle555

eagle555

Somewhere next week is what I'm thinking about.

Nathaniel

7. Lanaany

Lanaany

Ok, as I'm already planning to get RTPv3 I will deal with this later.

Another question, I got this strange patterns lately on my terrain the moment I added a splat-map:

$capture_002_08012014_213406.jpg

Settings:
    $capture_003_08012014_213558.jpg

Do you have any idea what went wrong?

Best,
    Lanaany

8. Lanaany

Lanaany

Nevermind, I got it:
    the splatmap resolution was twice as big as the heightmap res., now it works :).

Best,
    Lanaany

9. celaeno

celaeno

Thanks! I'm gonna try it later this week :)

10. EssyTech

EssyTech

Looks great! One of the best purchases I made on the asset store.

11. treshold

treshold

plain sick super-awesomeness :D I got lucky and grabbed TC from December sale, I was buying it anyways hehe. I like the way TerrainComposer is not limited only for creating terrains. I'm using it also for distributing spawn points of creatures, player lootable containers and stuff :)

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey,

awesome update :)! If we buy Terrain Composer now, will we recieve the TC2 update for free?

13. eagle555

eagle555

Yes TerrainComposer2 update will be for free.

Nathaniel

14. Antigono

Antigono

Excellent!, it is always good to have tutorials for reference. Thank you very much!
    Do you still have plans to do a tutorial with TC + WC + RTP? I'm having a hard time trying to create a quality Terrain like your "24 hs terrain"

Antigono.-

15. eagle555

eagle555

Yes I will make a tutorial for this. I will wait for RTPv3.1 though, as it is near releasing.

Nathaniel

16. jvcraft87

jvcraft87

I'm enjoying working with TerrainComposer but for some reason when I try adding a tree I'm getting the following:

The tree Tree11 must use the Nature/Soft Occlusion shader. Otherwise billboarding/lighting will not work correctly.
    UnityEngine.TerrainData:set_treePrototypes(TreePrototype[])
    terraincomposer_save:set_terrain_trees(terrain_class) (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Scripts/terraincomposer_save.js:10617)
    TerrainComposer:draw_terrain(Int32) (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:6164)
    TerrainComposer:paint() (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:2238)
    TerrainComposer:OnGUI() (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:887)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

When I go to change the shader I can't find Nature/Soft Occlusion. I do find Nature/Tree Soft Occlusion Leaves and Nature/Tree Soft Occlusion Bark which is what the prefab is already using.

The effect is that I see the tree "stump" without the leaves.

Thanks for any assistance!

Cheers!

Jim

17. bluemoon

bluemoon

I was wondering if it would be possible to add the ability to tile hightmap raw images in a future version TC. it would be very useful for adding detail.

18. eagle555

eagle555

This is an error Unity gives, it has not something to do with TerrainComposer. What you need to do is check your tree prefab out in the Scene. You can drag and drop the tree in the Scene. Then make sure it's showing currectly there and then click 'Apply' in the inspector to apply it to the prefab.

Nathaniel

19. eagle555

eagle555

Do you mean that you can split raw 16 bit images? Or import raw image tiles?

As for importing raw image tiles this is already possible in TerrainComposer.

Nathaniel

20. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Everyone,

TerrainComposer 1.3 is almost ready for release, it will be released this week. There's an example wizard included and at the moment I'm making tutorial videos and getting documentation up te date. I made 3 new video's now. And will continue making explaining exactly how TC works for beginners.

In this video I show the new example wizard. And it's 3/4 clicks to get an example scene

Nathaniel

21. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Super, waiting... :)

22. eagle555

eagle555

Another video showing how to do placement based on image colors, with the renewed image filter tool in TerrainComposer 1.3

Nathaniel

23. ChadH

ChadH

This just continues to amaze me …
    These videos are so handy to watch and just follow step-by-step

Thx Nathaniel for all your great work and continuous improvements :D

Really looking forward to 1.3 and then TC2

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  24. jvcraft87

jvcraft87

Hi Nathaniel,

Perfect! Thanks for the workaround! :cool:

Jim

25. jayty90

jayty90

Oh boy! I feel like a little kid on Christmas eve I can't wait to play with all the new features! Thanks for all the hard work man.

26. GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan

I just found out about Terrain Composer and it looks great! I'm pretty sure I'll be able to use it for an upcoming project, I just have a few quick questions first.

1- So Terrain Composer can generate terrain at runtime, Is it able to generate infinite terrain or is there a limit to how much terrain it can feasibly create in a single scene?

2- Assuming it can't create terrain of infinite size how does it handle when the player reaches the edge of the terrain? Would I be able to assign a specific game object to spawn along the edge of the terrain? Specifically a trigger that would load a different scene.

Thanks!

27. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

That are good questions.

1). Yes TerrainComposer can generate at runtime and yes there's a memory and performance limitation of how much terrains you can create in 1 scene.
    2). Yes that is possible, it is easest to do it with box colliders around the terrain.

Nathaniel

28. LazyMan

LazyMan

Hello! TC and WC is very good plugins! I like it!

But when i already tryed WC.....so i have problems.
    $6qDf8.jpg
    I Make this terrain step to step from official tutorial...
    What i'm doing wrong?
    Thx

29. eagle555

eagle555

Hello LazyMan,

That looks interesting...reminds me of minecraft...

In the Create Terrain tab in WorldComposer you must select the same heightmap resolution as that is listed between the (...). Also it looks like there are no satellite images, this check box should be enabled. Also the satellite images should be exported as JPG.

$w.jpg

Nathaniel

30. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Everyone,

TerrainComposer 1.3 is released now and can be updated in the TerrainComposer window -> Help -> Update...

There's new documentation with it, and all in 1 manual now. So the getting started pdf is obsolete.

The main new features of TC 1.3:
    * New Documentation
    * New example wizard window with 5 example scenes. Complete terrains that can be made in 3-4 clicks.
    * New image filter tool.
    * Unity terrain to mesh converter (in Quick Tools).
    * Setup all your lighting from TC, directional light, ambient, fog, etc (in Quick Tools).
    * Export multi terrain into 1 big heightmap.

Tommorow I'm going to record more tutorial videos...

Nathaniel

31. lod3

lod3

Excellent to hear. Will this include a tutorial with TC+WC+RTP? Basically something that shows how that 24-hour terrain was created ;)

32. makoto_snkw

makoto_snkw

I vote for that too...

33. LazyMan

LazyMan

Thx for fast answer.
    Check box "Satellite Images" enabled and images exported as .JPG format.

$6qIOM.jpg

EDIT:
    So i find the problem!

Why in one place on map i have this resolution:
    $6qOiD.jpg

And in another one:
    $6qOpv.jpg

???

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  34. eagle555

eagle555

Yes I will make a tutorial video for this. Only I'm waiting for RTPv3.1, as we will update the 24 hour demo with RTPv3.1. With a lot of improved quality and bigger terrain, now 300 km. If I would do the video now, I would have to do it again...

Nathaniel

35. eagle555

eagle555

Hello LazyMan,

In the create terrain tab you have to choose heightmap resolution 33 instead of 512, because of the 512 you are getting the blockiness. Then after creating the terrains you can smooth it (if needed) in TerrainComposer in Quick Tools -> Smooth Tool.

As for your question regarding heightmap zoom 14 and 11. The heightmap coverage of the Earth in Bing maps is not everywhere the same resolution. In the USA it has zoom level 14, which is 10 meter per pixel. In France zoom level 13, 20 meter per pixel. And most of the rest of the World is zoom level 11, which is 90 meter per pixel.

Nathaniel

36. John-G

John-G

Wahooo, thanks Nathaniel. Can't wait to play with this.
    Looking forward to the combined rtp3.1 tutorial.

37. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Hmm, guess it's still working through the Asset Store process as I don't see the new version out there yet. I really like the look of the examples on your video! I can definitely use the mountains plus desert to tweak up a nice underwater scene. If you do any future examples, it might be cool to have a line of mountains, some grassy plains then desert area as an example (i.e. 3 or 4 terrain types all together).

38. Becoming

Becoming

Terrain Composer has a built in Updater, you can use that and get the latest version regardless of the assetstore version.

39. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

WOW! Well done Nathaniel on 1.3. You are awesome.
    3-2-1 and done. Click your Terrian.
    Cheers from Chris.

40. ChadH

ChadH

Now anyone can create awesome terrains :D

Thx for this GREAT update !

41. LazyMan

LazyMan

Thx! It is helped.
    About heightmap coverage i think that too.

42. Deleted User

Deleted User

TC is awesome ;) thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2014
  43. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Not sure if you are taking suggestions or not, but it would be extremely awesome to have you add on to your examples with a few Mobile terrain examples. I know I'd like to see that.

44. eagle555

eagle555

Yes sure, that is indeed a good idea. The resolutions and densities need to be dialed down then. You should be able to make a mobile terrain with 128 resolution. So all you would need to do is place less trees, less objects, less grass, etc. Grass resolution should be really low. This can be all turned down in the example wizard. And for the detail (grass) resolution you can change it in TC terrain list -> resolutions. Something like 64. Also the heightmap resolution can be set lower than 128 there.

Nathaniel

45. bluemoon

bluemoon

No, I was think of tiling a hightmap across a terrain like you do for splat maps. the idea I had was to use a lower resolution hightmap to create my overall terrain and then use tiling hightmaps to add details. Right now I'm using perlin noise and adding it to my terrain but with a tiling hightmap you could have more control. I think it would be very useful especial for in game generation.

46. eagle555

eagle555

So a repeative heightmap. But this is impossible even on a shader level, and I don't think it would look good. You can still manualy paint the heightmap with the Unity terrain paint tools.

Nathaniel

47. selvura

selvura

Hi Nathaniel,

First i want to thank you for your great job in TC and WC.

I have a problem with the 1.3 update in TC and 1.110 in WC

Here is TC error when update is done :

$TC_error.jpg

And for WC problem :

i can"t update in 1.110, when i check download and import (i don't know how to do update manually) all is downloading and importing, but my current version is still in 1.100 and i can see 1.110 always in available version, when i restart unity editor it's always the same thing, it download import but nothing is changed.

Sorry for my bad english

48. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Selvura,

The error is not a serious error, it happens once, and it's just a repaint error of the TC window (so drawing error or more like a warning). Unity draws editor windows in two times. A layout and a repaint, Unity loops the code two times, if the second time the code changes it gives this warning. With updating the whole code changes...

As for the image tool being blanc. It only shows when the background color is active -> TC Menu -> Options -> Color Layout Scheme -> Enable background color. I will release TC 1.31 that has this fixed...

As for being not able to update WC, 1.11 is the same version, but auto update is broken in both. I will update a new WC to the Asset Store when ready and for people that bought it directly from me I will send WC to them.

Nathaniel

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  49. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Everyone,

TerrainComposer 1.31 is available now, it has the fix for the Image Filter Tool not showing when the background color is not enabled.

Nathaniel

50. alln2themusic

alln2themusic

Nathanial,

Definitely a steep learning curve, but thanks to your great videos and a little time and effort and trial and error, it's an amazing tool!! Also, took your advice and got the RTP Terrain Shaders too (which also has a steep learning curve if you're not familiar with terrain shaders and all the shader language). Saw the tutorial import video from World Machine that showcases RTP usage a little bit, but I still have a couple questions after watching it.

1) I currently don't have World Machine and have made a pretty decent heightmap straight from terrain composer that i'm pleased with. Is there a reason to get World Machine (in terms of helping speed up the terrain creation pipeline)?

2) RTP textures look good up close, but far away it looks like it's trying to use a global color map (which I currently don't have). Is there a way to create a color map from the splat textures that I currently have on all the terrains? I also don't fully understand what colormaps are used for? Are they used in conjunction with Splat Textures? If so, why? I also see that RTP is looking for a global normal map too, is this something that is produce-able from within TC or is that where World Machine comes in?

3) Can you make a video that basically shows how to use TC and RTP together(without World Machine if necessary) starting with a new scene/terrain (or multiple terrains)? I'm basically looking for something to help me figure out the pipeline production between TC and RTP and what settings to adjust between the two extensions and when it's necessary to do so. I read both the TC and RTP Documentations (which took quite a few hours just going back and forth between Unity and the docs and trying to understand all the settings) and still clueless on how to integrate RTP into my current TC scene fully. I have textures added, but for instance they only appear close to my viewpoint in the editor when flying around. Is something to adjust in RTP or TC?

I'm currently using a 3x3 terrain (9 terrains) at 2000x2000 each. I'm only using 4 splat textures(layers as they're called in RTP). I've got tree's all setup and placed where I like as well. Let me know if you need any more info on my project to help answering my questions. I am making this for a game as well so I downloaded your runtime version of TC, but haven't tried that out yet. Is there a lot to know about using TC at runtime as far as setup and getting it to work properly? I'm assuming in your tutorial videos when you talk about moving around the terrain and things being procedurally generated, you're using the runtime version of TC, right? That's definitely what I'm thinking I'm going to have to do ultimately for my game to run efficiently with the best performance. Could you make a video about using TC in a runtime environment and possibly how to set that up?

Thanks for all the help support you give. These products are taking Unity to the next level as far as game engines are concerned.

David Cavitt

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014