Search Unity

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. RendCycle

RendCycle

I think the problem was my old version of Photoshop. I tried creating a test height map as you suggested and it worked! But I had to make a work around using Photoshop CS5's Smartobject feature to be able to use the proper Filter because I still cannot use them even in a newly created 16 bit file.

This is what I did: I have a 16bit new file and painted a white arc over a black background layer. Then duplicated that layer and converted it to a SmartObject. I then chose "Edit Contents" for the selected SmartObject layer and converted that to 8bit. I was able to access the Filter->Pixelate->Mosaic and applied a value of 64. I then pressed CTRL-S to save and closed the SmartObject layer to return to the original 16bit version. I then saved the RAW file and copied it to the proper TC2 stamps RawFile folder. Here is the test result:

I will try to see if it would work for smaller values than 64 for the filter (both Crystallize and Mosaic) because the effect did not seem to reflect when I tried this method initially on a Stamp (MountainIsland.RAW) file that came with TC2.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

well, I tried with the same file...Levels: Reduce Contrast!!(why it was too blocky), [Dupicate Layer, move to the top] [Back to Mod layer, Filter : Pixelize: Facet, Filter: Pixelize: Crystalize : 12 (a lil small)...select top layer, blend with bottom layer [Linear light/try em all!], reduce opacity to suit... [*we want a slight gradient in the pixelized cells, to get less 90 degree blocks]

Same splats as my video above, zero change..just a 5 min test..

2K height maps/2K splat maps/Time of Day/Beatufy Camera filter.

3. RendCycle

RendCycle

Nice result you have there! I was able to produce a height map stamp and imported it successfully in TC2 but only when manually creating a new 16-bit Grayscale flattened file in PS CS5. I will just try this again in the future on probably a different project as I cannot get the exact blocky/voxel effect I want anyway. Thanks for all the help! :)

4. jjobby

jjobby

Hi, my colleague said that he still encounters this problem in Unity 2018.1.0f2 and TC 2.6 (which should be compatible with Unity 2018.x). Is this problem really fixed? Does anyone else still have this problem in Unity 2018?

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  5. RendCycle

RendCycle

I experienced something like that on an active project I have wherein I just deleted TC2 and reinstalled it. Also noticed there were no Splat textures imported. I'm using TC2 vers. 2.6 in Unity 2018.1.0f2. Also, on fresh install, these warnings appeared:

Thus I checked other terrains that I already have which were created using a different tool and untagged / deactivated them all. Then cleaned up some unused terrains in my asset folders. Saved my project, restarted, and loaded the project again. I then made a fresh install of TC2 and re-imported the stamps. TC2 worked again! :)

hopeful likes this.
  6. Tesrym

Tesrym

Working nicely in 2017.4.3f1!

Thanks for the update.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    hopeful likes this.
  7. gecko

gecko

I sometimes get black areas on my terrain, where no splat texture is painted....despite very definitely having splat layers that paint in those areas. See screenshots -- the top is the Splat Output layer, showing some black areas, but the other two images show that splats are being painted there (the lower one is the very bottom layer that paints a basic grass splat across the entire terrain. So it seems like something is subtracting those layers, but I sure can't figure out how. All layers are set to Lerp. This is very frustrating -- I get the terrain all looking good, and then a week later, when i regenerate it, I have these black areas. Any suggestions?

splats.jpg

8. Nemanja_Ristic

Nemanja_Ristic

Does anybody else having problem with TC2 not working at all. I tried to reinstall a few time but I can never see the tools

Attached Files:

9. DGBatch

DGBatch

I have used TC2 on previous project and it worked fine, however now on my current project when I try to import the asset I get heaps of warnings like this:
    Shader warning in 'TC_Compute.compute': Buffer count exceeding default GL_MAX_SHADER_STORAGE_BUFFER_BINDINGS. Shader might not work on all hw. Consider combining separate buffers into one containing struct elements. at kernel NoisePerlin5 (on gles3)

Anyone know what I can do to remedy this?

10. BaxtardWorm

BaxtardWorm

Hi or a problem or created 5 islands as image 1 attached

and I would want to understand how to diversify the splat so that I can put the skins to every island as I want every mountain and I has his/her color as I can do thanks of the help I attach my layer

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

You actually need to duplicate that splat node for each island (drag the node into the hierarchy, then into a folder to create a prefab/watch tutorials on that)..now right click the splat little plus icon 4 times, drag your prefab into each new node, mask each node(island) using the 'red plus sign' icon at the top of each node....you need to define island masks to feed into that, with an image/terrain node...I learned it watching the videos and experimentation....p-

BaxtardWorm likes this.
  12. BaxtardWorm

BaxtardWorm

salutes I wanted to ask you if you could make me an example / project with terraincomposer2 with 4 islands with different colors I would be really thankful of it or a video on as to do thanks

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ok....I'm no expert, but....

p-

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2018
    BaxtardWorm likes this.
  14. gecko

gecko

Does anyone understand how the grass/detail object scaling works? The variables in TC2 are "Random Width" and "Random Height" which do not correspond to the Unity grass/detail object variables of Min/Max height and width. What does "random" mean -- is that the average width and height? and then what's furthermore odd is that the grass objects that are planted on the terrain, if I view the popup about them on the terrain, the Min Width and Height is always 0.5, and the Max Width/Height is a smaller value but not what I put for Random. So I'm completely confused about how to set my desired grass sizes.... Can anyone illuminate this for me?

EDIT: So the "Scale Multi" value at the bottom of the Grass/Details inspector seems to adjust all scaling -- that value is used for the Min Width/Height, and then that value is multiplied by the Random values for each object's Max Height/Width....which seems completely bizarre, since that ensures that the Max Width/Height will always be smaller than the Min Width/Height. So I must be misunderstanding something....

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  15. RendCycle

RendCycle

Hi again! I'm moving my terrains to a newer version of Unity (vers. 2018.1.6). So I selected my TerrainComposer2 asset folder and also the particular terrain that I need which is named something like Terrain_x0_y0. Then exported them to a Package. How do I then migrate the GameObjects Terrain Area, TerrainComposer2, and their child objects which has some of the settings? I am doing this because I will need to modify the terrain again later on after import. Has anybody tried this before and can shed some light on how to do this?

16. FewGears

FewGears

I'm getting fatal error - "system out of memory" when rendering big terrain.Is there any way to deal with this problem without changing terrain settings?

17. RoyS

RoyS

How do I get the terrain height painter to go above 1000? The slider will not allow the bottom of the snow texture to go above 1000.

18. Harald_Heide

Harald_Heide

Would love to see a clear video tutorial, best practices on how to create a terrain in Terrain Composer 2 based on results from newest World Composer. Explaining what you might have to adjust when using raw normalized height map as terrain stamp, different tiling possibilities etz, how to best import splat jpg's generated in World Composer on the different tiles and how to best enhance them with ground textures , trees etz. in Terrain Composer 2. What is WC TC2 most competitive advantage, is the ability to import real terrain into 3d and have it look stunning... Streamlining the total workflow would really create a killer combination.. Getting this to work fluidly might even have me by bough your new game, even though I am not so fond of gaming meself :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  19. Harald_Heide

Harald_Heide

Having 4 JPG splat files from World Composer. Can they be imported in Image nodes in TC2 in their respective terrain tile??

20. ceebeee

ceebeee

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    Flurgle likes this.
  21. recon0303

recon0303

l
    e

Please be fair here. don't mean to sound rude or anything. Just need to be fair to other users please.

If you read many reviews and posts, people aren't getting the support as Nath has been super busy with Drone, so people have a right to be upset.. and post what there experience is. i'm a huge supporter of TC 1 and now TC2 , I also was one of the first testers.. as much as I like Nath, no not everyone has got support, I had to help 4 of my friends developers out with issues as they got NO support for months and still no reply from emails. or Skype. So please be fair here. Is he back now?? I know he has been gone.

I wish Drone all the success. :) though as I have known Nath a long time, a very nice person. and hard working...its not easy to balance a game, and assets....this is why I refuse to do it..haha..

PS: He can be found on his Discord though sometimes.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    dsilverthorn likes this.
  22. GamePyro-com

GamePyro-com

Hello

Work it now on existing terrains created with RWT Real World Terrain from infinity code
    are unity terrains

and auto paint texture an existing terrain like at your screenshots looking like real .

terrain 6600x6600 height : 3300 or so .

and:

is there a way use this also in editor moder or set object to shape / flatten terrain when at the script to the object.

need something like your asset for houses / buildings at mountains / hills and roads and so on.

for this problem for example :
    https://i.gyazo.com/41de42fb53c8c05ecd60d2222511d861.png

or know you or anybody here an other asset or good way to tat in editor automatic at every object road building etc where a script with a function us added to automatic shape / flatten.?

regards

23. magique

magique

I have abandoned this asset just like the author has abandoned it. I've moved on to Landscape Builder. That tool is in constant development and it's very well supported.

eaque, D3Duck and PolyMad like this.
  24. txarly

txarly

is there a way to texture the terrain without update the heighmap at the same time?

regards

25. PolyMad

PolyMad

Thank you for the suggestion... these "abandoned" assets should be pulled from the Asset Store IMHO.

However, I have this problem with Unity 2018.1.
    Anyone knows how to fix it?

Attached Files:

recon0303 likes this.
  26. D3Duck

D3Duck

Just bought this after you suggested it. Awesome tool and AAA support

eaque and magique like this.
  27. recon0303

recon0303

This asset is not set up for that version. So not sure what to say. I personally stopped using it and I was one of the first person to test this. SO its sad this has happen... I wish it would be pulled. I like Nath and find him to be a friend, but he should shut it down to be fair to users. :)

28. PolyMad

PolyMad

I'm sorry he's a friend, but he should write in the description that at the moment he's not assisting clients.

29. recon0303

recon0303

did you read what I said?

30. PolyMad

PolyMad

Yes I read it, I'm just agreeing with you, so?

recon0303 likes this.
  31. recon0303

recon0303

" but he should write in the description that at the moment he's not assisting clients."

:D

Just replying to this my friend.:) I said he should shut it down, to be fair, I also told him I would close it down or let others know, he won't be around on his asset as others are making there dream , some like me use it to make a living..SO he really should.. post something. on the actually store PAGE . I wasted a bit of work, so I removed it from my project.. due to some bugs, some bugs I fixed myself, but it was always something. So I moved on.. as much as I like Nath, business, is business, nothing personal.:) so I agree with you.

I supported him for many years as he gave great support, but he should consider closing this down, or atleast, POST, NO SUPPORT.. not everyone reads these forums and when they buy it, some are yelling at right fully so.. So not sure why he don't do this. I understand he is busy, but we are as well, so I suggested to him to tell this, as I had a friend / investor, scream at me the other day because I suggested TC2, early this year..and he can't get support, so I had to give him the support.. which i'm not paid to do. So I understand, why people are upset. :) I hope he makes a move soon, out of fairness to people..

dsilverthorn and PolyMad like this.
  32. PolyMad

PolyMad

dsilverthorn likes this.
  33. _Maksim_

_Maksim_

Hello. At the moment we are working on a small project. This is a flight simulator. We have the masks that we made from the textures created in World Composer. We created a landscape 10x10. Now we have the task of placing each mask on a separate terrain. Is it possible to do this without scaling and changing the coordinates of the mask itself? Do you have any advice for solving this problem? How are similar simulators created with terraincomposer? Which approach is used.. Perhaps we have chosen the wrong way?

bc7f775efb909c1a1658705ba0c6f65f.jpg 660f92d439abccaaa7731642b6b98040.png

34. _Maksim_

_Maksim_

Where is this window located in terraincomposer 2?

04384596b840d4bb480ef34b7cc36bac.png

35. PolyMad

PolyMad

I've never seen it either, mine is much more limited in options and it appears in the Inspector.
    I don't have in example RTP nor Triplanar options. It looks like a totally different product.

36. Deleted User

Deleted User

That is the Original Terrain Composer....Upgrade.

37. Deleted User

Deleted User

I am actually working on the same thing, I had to buy TerraLand3, TC2 make it almost impossible to line-up 10X10 Tiles, for Splat Masks, you should not have to scale/change anything, because the splat filter is derived from the texture, so I am not quite sure what your technique encompasses. I assume you are trying to enhance sat images with a splat textures, so as not to look all pixelated out when up close, why not fade to splat textures, like grass..Thats what I am trying to accomplish, but the shader is critical..going all splat textures never looks the same.

(see examples below)
    I used mapmaker to get my 4 splat map colors, used Photoshop for sat normal's, de-saturated my splat textures, and used the sat image colors for the tint...

All 1024 Sat/Splat maps(pretty low res)

Mesh Terrains 4 Outer / 16 Inner

still fine tuning

From MapMaker, TerraLand 3

I can post the 2 mesh shaders' code, if there is any interest.

Patrick

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2018
    _Maksim_ likes this.
  38. PolyMad

PolyMad

Seems you are almost there, Patrick! Very cool.
    First of all you ARE changing the color/luminosity of the environment, there's no way out of this... it's what you are doing, so don't be surprised. Don't think the imagery coming from satellite as a "perfect" representation.

As a start, have you tried by only adding the Normal Maps in the first place?
    Those should give you quite a lot of detail without altering albedo and illumination of the location.

Then, if you are blending the albedo texture with MULTIPLY, the texture must be essentially white, with details very thin and limited.

You can also try to blend the splat testures starting at value 127 instead than 0: values over 127 will ADD to the original texture, value below 127 will be subtracted. This way, the global luminosity of the texture shouldn't change, if the splatmap luminosity is well distributed between 0 and 255.

39. _Maksim_

_Maksim_

Yes. It would be great. Send mesh shaders' code.:)

40. StevanJay

StevanJay

StampTest.png When I try to stamp, the result is very blocky. I don`t think it`s an issue with the texture, since it stamps fine through Gaia - any suggestions? Screen shot shows the blocky TC2 stamp next to the smooth Gaia stamp...

41. Deleted User

Deleted User

1st guess, you put the image in the image slot..when you need the pull down to use terrain stamps.,and drag the generated image there.

42. Raul_T

Raul_T

Hello,

Is there any way to make custom parenting on multi tile terrains work correctly? When parent mode is set to create instead of terrain, only the last tile gets objects placed on it.

and this is how it looks like when using parent Parent Mode:Terrain

Is it a bug/limitation or am I missing something?

43. gecko

gecko

I've just started having a problem with TC2 -- the Angle filter suddenly stopped working (black node, no effect of settings on terrain), and I get the error below when I generate terrain splats. Happens on both Mac and Windows. I'm using Unity 2018.2.6 -- I think this was working after I upgraded from 2017.1, but not 100% sure. Suggestions or fixes would be most welcome!

thanks
    Dave

Compute shader (TC_Compute): Property (terrainTexRead) at kernel index (2) is not set
    UnityEngine.ComputeShader:Dispatch(ComputeShader, Int32, Int32, Int32, Int32)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Compute:RunNodeCompute(TC_GroupBehaviour, TC_Node, Single, ComputeBuffer, Boolean) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Compute.cs:870)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_NodeGroup:ComputeValue(Single) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Nodes/TC_NodeGroup.cs:110)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Layer:ComputeMulti(RenderTexture[]&, ComputeBuffer&, Single, Boolean) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Nodes/TC_Layer.cs:64)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_LayerGroupResult:ComputeMulti(RenderTexture[]&, Single, Boolean, Boolean) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Nodes/TC_LayerGroupResult.cs:158)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_LayerGroup:ComputeMulti(RenderTexture[]&, ComputeBuffer&, Single, Boolean) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Nodes/TC_LayerGroup.cs:69)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate:ComputeSplat(Rect) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:1265)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate:Compute(TCUnityTerrain, Int32, Rect) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:268)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate:RunGenerateStack() (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:250)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate:MyUpdate() (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:208)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

44. Quique-Martinez

Quique-Martinez

Will we have a voucher for D.R.O.N.E. for our patience ;)?

45. eaque

eaque

maybe some shares in the studio for financing it! ;):p
    anyway good luck to them but ....still a big disapointment:(

BrandStone likes this.
  46. magique

magique

Better yet. We could boycott their game. Natural consequence of failing to provide their users any support.

BrandStone, eaque, Alverik and 3 others like this.
  47. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

What is this about?

I’m sorry I do not understand.

Thank you!
    Xalo

48. magique

magique

It's simple. The author of this asset, who also made Mesh Combine Studio, released both products on the asset store and then vanished without providing technical support to the users. Mesh Combine Studio is a broken asset and TC2 is still buggy as well from what I see others posting here. The point is that if they won't support people who bought their assets then why should we support their game and put more money in their pockets?

49. eaque

eaque

I wish them luck but one thing sure, i wil never buy their game! or any asset coming from one of them! TC2, mesh combine studio were some of my worst experience on the store:mad:

and what a bad idea to get the assets owners turned against them before the release of the game...Some bad marketing foundation!! i guess...:confused:

Alverik likes this.
  50. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

Ah! That’s unfortunate...

That’s what I thought I was seeing, just wanted to clarify before jumping in.

Thank you!

MoribitoMT likes this.