Search Unity

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

@Seneral If you have the time, can you test this raw file?
    For some reason TC2 won't load it

2. Seneral

Seneral

Works fine on my end. Make sure you follow the TC2 Raw import procedure. You need to create a folder called "RawFiles", put it in that folder and reimport it so TC2 will notice. TC2 then creates a preview image in the folder the RawFiles is in, and that preview image can be assigned to the raw node. The raw node can then look in the RawFiles folder to get the actual raw file:)

recon0303 likes this.
  3. botumys

botumys

hi, if I change splat textures in RTP, TC2 don't update them, there is a way to update like in TC1 (get setting from) ?

4. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

I bought tc2 recently!

Cant wait to dig into it! In the docs there is the free stamp pack, the link doesnt seem to be working, any way I can access them?

Thank you!
    XaloX

5. recon0303

recon0303

6. recon0303

recon0303

you also can be lazy like I do sometimes and toss it in the other raw files from the stamp made from TC2, and just import that so TC2 can notice :) but more organized Seneral suggested for fast testing I just do that or when lazy.

7. recon0303

recon0303

also be sure to import, refresh sometimes take a sec for TC2 to notice it. based on what Seneral said. I have this from time to time.

8. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

Thank you! :D

Yeah I hit the dropbox link, not the mega link.

Thank you!
    XaloX

9. Dunathan

Dunathan

Hi Eagle555, just bought TC2, any news from unity about the issue on Unity 2018.1 beta?

Thank you!

10. Beral

Beral

Hello, I have a problem with the terrain settings. At the beginning the setting menu of the terrains' parent works correctly but after a time working (open and close the project several times... etc), the settings menu doesn't work anymore. It seems like it had lost the link between the values of the settings panel in the parent and the same settings values in the terrain children. For example, now, I cannot change the grass density from the parent and I have to change the values in each child individually. The TC 2.5 window works correctly.

11. Jeremykbh

Jeremykbh

Hi. I've just been having a go at TC2, and wondering if it's possible to set the initial height of the terrains. When I've worked in the past with Unity terrains, I often begin by using the flatten tool to set the ground height to a higher value, by setting the height and using the flatten button. This allows me to both work upwards, by adding mountains, and also downwards, but digging out canyons, etc. It's always boggled my mind that, by default, the Unity terrain does not come into the scene with this type of setting.

Anyway, I can't seem to find a workaround to make this happen using TC2. Any ideas?

12. Seneral

Seneral

Sure, it's pretty easy, since individual nodes can affect the whole terrain. In this case it's as simple as adding a constant node (Shape->Constant) and offset it to the desired value (Y/Height). Make sure to uncheck 'Clamp'!
    Seneral

13. ronie635

ronie635

Hi,

I am having trouble restoring my terrain with all the trees after making a second scene and a new terrain into that one. Now the original terrain in the previous scene is all wrong and the trees are missing. I managed to get the terrain and textures back but nothing else. Why is it like this?

14. Tesrym

Tesrym

I would also like to express interest in Unity 2018 compatibility.

BrandStone likes this.
  15. gecko

gecko

Has anybody got Convexity working? I really need it, but it's always black, never any effect.

16. LeonelMV

LeonelMV

Hi, i'm trying to create a map using world machine and stam tiling, but the terrain's generate terrace effect i don't know why, anyone could create a big terrain using world machine? like 16 x 16 tiles?

Sorry my bad english

17. Seneral

Seneral

How did you export the terrain from WorldMachine? Make sure it's in a 16-Bit Raw format, so all information in preserved.
    Then, when importing, import it into a RAW image node. To do that, you first have to put the raw file in a folder called 'RawFiles' anywhere in the project and re-import it so that TC2 knows it. It will then create a preview image in the folder above the RAW, which you need to drag into the RAW image node.
    Also make sure that the resolution of the RAW image and of the terrain match roughly.
    Hope that helps.
    Seneral

18. LeonelMV

LeonelMV

Many thanks, TC is powerful but the documentation and examples videos are poor. We need more examples, Nathaniels doesn't response on Skype. I'm really lost...

If you're new with this type of tools, TC2 is not recomended, will be a headache without tutorials...

BrandStone likes this.
  19. Seneral

Seneral

That's one of the few cases where you actually need some actual knowledge about how TC2 works (with the folder naming and stuff).
    The rest is, IMO, a matter of understanding the same (rather simple) concept of layers / masking / etc. Once you got into that mindset, every problem you want to solve with TC2 is a logical problem that (most probably) can be achieved in some way. But agree, I found even now people sometimes struggle with it...

20. qxch

qxch

upload_2018-4-5_23-42-58.png

Hi Eagle,

I am new to tc.

While following the tutorial 1, my screen shows odd white spot like the picture above.
    And my gpu seems don't work at all. I have already enabled dx11 in player settings. But nothing changes.

Plz help.

Btw, my gpu is gfx 1060.

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Those are flattened capsule colliders, used with the flatten terrain mode, included in the example scene.
    Compute Shaders are required to run TC2, if it works, then you are using the GPU..

22. qxch

qxch

thx for the reply.

what can i do to remove the white things? In the tutorial video, there is no white things.

23. Seneral

Seneral

They are on their own layer, only for collision rendering. Check on which they are, and hide that layer (top right bar).

24. Dunathan

Dunathan

Hi guys, I saw somewhere a video where a preset is used to add a splatmap and heightmap altogether, but don't know how to do it and where did I saw that.

The fact is that I have Splat and Heights being created on WorldMachine.

Any help on that?

[EDIT]
    This is the video I saw:

Any update on this update? lol.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  25. Dunathan

Dunathan

How to use colormaps, does unity standard terrain shader suports it? is ther any free shader that suports it?

Currently I cant see any change when using colormaps.

Thank you!

[EDIT]
    Realized that I do need special shaders for colormap and normal maps, but one more doubt, its better to make the normals in WorldMachine or TerrainComposer? (Is there a way of doing in TC2?).

[EDIT]
    SOLVED discovered it does normal maps. "its in the height output, at the TC2 window"

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  26. Dunathan

Dunathan

Managed to import SplatMaps from world machine, the question is, how to move/transform the Heightmap AND the splatmap altoguether.

Custom script?

[EDIT]
    It seems the update will handle this, I´m right ?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  27. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

Is there a method to "end TerrainComposed editing" and let terrain and splat map alone with unity editor?

28. Seneral

Seneral

Just disable auto generate / close the TC2 window / disable the TerrainComposer2 object:)

MaximilianPs likes this.
  29. gevarre

gevarre

When I try to use this in Unity 2018, I get the following errors. For instance: I create a new terrain, which works fine, but when I add a node to Height and then try to set it to perlin noise, that's when the errors show up and the image just stays black. Any idea when you might have an update?

Property (localCurveKeys) at kernel index (99) is not set
    UnityEngine.ComputeShader: Dispatch(Int32, Int32, Int32, Int32)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Compute:RunNodeCompute(TC_GroupBehaviour, TC_Node, Single, ComputeBuffer, Boolean) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Compute.cs:853)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_NodeGroup:ComputeValue(Single) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Nodes/TC_NodeGroup.cs:110)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Layer:ComputeHeight(ComputeBuffer&, ComputeBuffer&, Single, Boolean) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Nodes/TC_Layer.cs:35)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_LayerGroupResult:ComputeSingle(Single, Boolean) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Nodes/TC_LayerGroupResult.cs:46)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_LayerGroup:ComputeSingle(ComputeBuffer&, Single, Boolean) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Nodes/TC_LayerGroup.cs:29)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate:ComputeHeight(Rect) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:1041)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate:Compute(TCUnityTerrain, Int32, Rect) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:267)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate:GenerateOutput(TCUnityTerrain, Int32, Boolean, Rect) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:498)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate:GenerateHeight(TCUnityTerrain, Boolean, Rect, Boolean) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:518)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate:Generate(TCUnityTerrain, Boolean, Rect) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:440)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate:Generate(Boolean, Rect, Int32) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:414)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate:MyUpdate() (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:186)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

Flechenoir likes this.
  30. Dunathan

Dunathan

Sorry for so many questions, but here's another, someone knows if TC2 is compatible with Microsplat?

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/microsplat-96478

My compatibility interests are only the Normal and Colormapping, and Microsplat basic is free, so, big deal.

[EDIT]
    It seems a Microsplat Module is needed for global normal map and Color map:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...-texturing-96482?aid=1011l37NJ&utm_source=aff

And I can confirm that the basic version of Microsplat is fully compatible with TC2

[EDIT]
    Purchased microsplat Global Texture Module, and its fully compatible with TC2 colormaps, but cant find a way to generate normal maps within TC2, nor import my normal maps just as I did with the color map.
    My colormap is imported as a node and this node is added with other imported colormaps, see below. normal-maps.png

[EDIT]
    SOLVED - discovered that at the Height Output are options for normal map generation.

Works with Microsplat Global Texture Module completely, the only thing is that TC2 creates the normal and color maps with "repeat" and it must be changed to "clamp" so we avoid any seams in multi terrains. It would be nice if TC2 already created them with "clamp".

Congratulations for the amazing tool!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Seneral likes this.
  31. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

I really would really like to have an option to "collapse" and left the terrain just as Unity terrain :rolleyes:

32. sharkapps

sharkapps

Hello, I needed to split up my 25 2048x2048 terrains into 400 512x512 terrains and now I am wondering if there is a way (or if it would even be practical) to manage these terrains again now that they are split. I would like to still be able to place more objects on my smaller terrain tiles and still be able to have TC2 regenerate the maps as needed.

33. Seneral

Seneral

Why not just increase the tile count in TC2 Terrain Area from 5 to 20 and decrease the resolution of each tile accordingly? Then TC2 will generate using these specifications just fine...

34. gecko

gecko

Angle still doesn't work for me. Is it working for others? No matter what I set the Curve values at, the Angle node is solid white, and the entire terrain is painted in that splat.

I'm on Mac using Metal Editor, so I suppose that could be the problem, though everything else in TC2 works fine (well, except for Convexity--perhaps related?).

35. sharkapps

sharkapps

Thanks for the response. I have now done this but I am having a problem with Blur on terrain height collider nodes. As you can see from the image, the seams between the terrain tiles do not match up. I did not have this issue before because none of the terrain height colliders crossed terrain tile borders. What would you recommend is the best way to correct this?

Best regards,
    Tony

36. DaffyTheBunny

DaffyTheBunny

Hi Everyone,
    I purchased both Terrain Composer 2 and World Composer in the hope that I would be able to use them together. Sadly I don't seem to be able to. I've tried contacting the developer but I have not had any reply (after 18 days). Is anyone able to use the two together in Unity 2017?
    Thanks,
    Rich

37. sharkapps

sharkapps

My understanding is the developer is quite busy right now with his crowdfunded game D.R.O.N.E., but still checks in here when time permits. Perhaps you could post all of the details about what part exactly is not working for you and include some video or screenshots to help illustrate the problems. There are others here that are extremely helpful in many cases.
    Best regards,
    Tony

38. Keaneo

Keaneo

Same here. Been using TC for a while and purchased WC yesterday but can't find a way to link the two. The tutorial video
    explicitly shows this in the first 30 seconds, but the UI has changed so much since then!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

39. gecko

gecko

DaffyTheBunny and hopeful like this.
  40. Keaneo

Keaneo

Thanks - will take a look now. It's seems a bit strange that there used to be a dedicated button and now it looks like a manual "workaround". Any idea what happened to the integration (I think Nathaniel mentioned a few times that integration was coming)?

The steps you mention - will that allow me to use the WC texture too - as well as the heightmap?

Thanks!

41. gecko

gecko

I think Nathaniel stopped developing these tools awhile ago, so I wouldn't hold your breath for any more features.

You can use the satellite image as a splat texture, just like any splat texture -- you just have to set the scaling so it doesn't tile.

42. desertGhost_

desertGhost_

I receive the same error in the 2018.1 release candidate. It appears that 2018.1 breaks compatibility with the compute shaders used in TC2. TC2 still works as expected in 2017.4.

Could a potential work around could be to create the terrains in 2017.4, export terrains as a unitypackage, and import them in to the 2018.1 project?

Flechenoir likes this.
  43. Keaneo

Keaneo

I've been trying to get this to work but not finding it easy :-(.
    The heightmap exported from worldcomposer is only 128x128 so that's something I'm doing wrong.
    I also got the same issue you reported where the centre of the terrain was being raised but the rest is flat.

Any ideas or steps about which values to changes? It's a real shame - I bought WC on the strength that there was a button to do most of this :-(.

44. gecko

gecko

You set the heightmap resolution in WC before exporting it -- you should crank that up as far as you can before you get the warning that you've gone too far. (Can't recall the exact phrasing, but the WC tutorials do talk about heightmap resolution at some point.)

Second issue: When you set up the heightmap node and assign that stamp (e.g. the heightmap from WC), be sure to increase the x/y size to match your terrain size (that's on the TC_Node inspector, under Global Scale andHeight -- it defaults to 2048, I think.)

Once you get the workflow figured out, it is quite quick and easy.

45. NotQuiteSmith

NotQuiteSmith

Thanks Gecko - I got the terrain heightmaps in place! Do I leave "Global Scale" at the default (1,1,1) settings? Do you know what I should set the Height and Size fields, to accurately model the original heights? i.e. if I know the highest point is 1000m, what are the settings so that it's 1000m high in unity units?

EDIT: Tried to use terrains generated by WC (as in
    ). The technique of using multiple areas and of cutting holes (at 6:02) didn't really work since nothing seems to align 100% correctly at the edges of each terrain area. i.e. the corners would align, but the heights in the center of each edge were slightly out! Enough to be noticable.

So I tried just using one heightmap (8192x8192) on a 4x4 TC2 terrain. This works OK but I can't get the 8192x8192 texture to tile 1 to 1. e.g. I apply the splatmap and it tiles a lot (as you said) - if I increase the tiling (in the Splat Textures settings) to 2048, I see the texture tiling 4x4 times as you'd expect, but if I enter 8192 (so it only tiles once), the whole terrain just goes one colour. Even does this at 4096 (I'd expect to see a 2x2 tiling at that value). All very strange!

Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  46. gecko

gecko

Yes, I always leave Global Scale to 1,1,1. Size should be the actual total size (in meters) of your terrain (eg. if you have a 2x2 grid of tiles, each 500x500, then size is 2000x2000). Height is whatever you want the terrain height to be (from lowest to highest points in the heightmap) -- that's the same as on the terrain settings.

47. Supergeek

Supergeek

I'm working on a game that's 100% procedurally generated and am wondering if TC2 be useful for me. I like the look of the generated terrains it makes, but I would like to be able to do as much through code and config files as possible.

Specifically, I'm looking at a low-poly style. Would I be easily able to modify TC2 to generate split vertices? I already have a primitive split-vertex mesh generator I've written myself. I would just like to know how easy it would be to hook into TC2's code and change it. Like, hopefully it's not a big spaghetti monster that's difficult to modify.

I'd read through the thread but it's 125 pages! Way too much to read through.

Thanks for your help.

48. Seneral

Seneral

First, do you aim at runtime generation? I suppose so from what you've wrote.
    Also, TC2 outputs standard unity terrain, so if you can work with that, you're good to go. Other than that it's simply heightmap information.

49. SwdPwnzDggr

SwdPwnzDggr

I am also getting 2018.1 errors. Sucks too, just bought the asset and would love to use it for my new project.

Flechenoir likes this.
  50. Blackcrow777

Blackcrow777

I'm also getting the error and the tool is useless atm,
    nodes stay black , terrain isn't foruming ..

Property (localCurveKeys) at kernel index (13) is not set
    UnityEngine.ComputeShader:Dispatch(Int32, Int32, Int32, Int32)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Compute:RunNodeCompute(TC_GroupBehaviour, TC_Node, Single, ComputeBuffer, Boolean) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Compute.cs:853)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_NodeGroup:ComputeValue(Single) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Nodes/TC_NodeGroup.cs:110)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Layer:ComputeHeight(ComputeBuffer&, ComputeBuffer&, Single, Boolean) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Nodes/TC_Layer.cs:35)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_LayerGroupResult:ComputeSingle(Single, Boolean) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Nodes/TC_LayerGroupResult.cs:46)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_LayerGroup:ComputeSingle(ComputeBuffer&, Single, Boolean) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Nodes/TC_LayerGroup.cs:29)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate:ComputeHeight(Rect) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:1041)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate:Compute(TCUnityTerrain, Int32, Rect) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:267)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate:GenerateOutput(TCUnityTerrain, Int32, Boolean, Rect) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:498)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate:GenerateHeight(TCUnityTerrain, Boolean, Rect, Boolean) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:518)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate:Generate(TCUnityTerrain, Boolean, Rect) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:440)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate:Generate(Boolean, Rect, Int32) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:414)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate:MyUpdate() (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:186)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()