Search Unity

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. hopeful

hopeful

2017.3 is the current official version. It's out of beta.

But it hasn't been out for very long, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that plugins aren't ready for it yet.

2. FreelanceGames

FreelanceGames

Its NOT a beta version, its was released on December 19th. Here is the link:

https://unity3d.com/get-unity/downl...10.1972275948.1513898345-124058817.1509241975

I'm using the latest version of TC2 from the asset store. Its version 2.58, although the TC2 help only says version 2.5. I upgraded from Unity 5.6 to 2017.3 so I'm not sure if it worked on previous versions. I'm willing to provide the necessary information for troubleshooting 2017.3.

3. recon0303

recon0303

oh sorry didn't pay attention to there last update my bad. since it was near the holiday.. but regardless using beta , last few updates all the same...when it comes to Unity.... this is why 5.6 is the most used stable version, so many bugs are from assets them selves but due to Unity issues, and yes sometimes can be because the developer hasn;t fixed all the issues with beta and other latest versions.. also Nath I believe has 2.59. version on the last few pages back. Use Nath update here. 2.59....

https://forum.unity.com/threads/ter...tion-gpu-powered-terrain-tool.151365/page-121 check under his reply. it will point you to download the link for the update.

PS, yes it worked on many other versions.. as I and other companies have been making games, including the developer himself, with terrain composer 2, so it does for sure work on 2017.1 and before, as many can confirm, and two games I been working on . They both work fine, now do issues happen, yes, game development that tend to happen. But it does work, now the issue your stating, I have never seen before. So that is also why I always suggest earlier versions, due to so many issues that can happen. as stated already. best of luck, I hope you get it working.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  4. recon0303

recon0303

well ya that's my point regardless.....Do as you wish but after 8 years of working with Unity and 20 with other game engines, I learned my lesson to NOT use the beta versions or even the last few versions. But as I said you guys do as you wish...but plan on issues.... with Unity, so when I see a tool called a beta tool,( I know you didn't.) I disagree as I have used it since TC1 . Many issues are Unity issues.. not saying all, some could be updates that Nath need to get done, due to certain versions.. or just bugs in general .

5. FreelanceGames

FreelanceGames

The version your referencing was posted on November 6th... The package name is 2.59... but the Asset Store has a version published on November 27th? See here:

Version: 2.58 (Nov 27, 2017)
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/65563

Why would 2.58 be posted to the Asset Store a month after 2.59 was posted here? It makes me think that the version number wasn't updated on the Asset store? If the version is correct, why hasn't it been posted to the Asset Store?

I get what you're saying about new versions of software... When I look at the documentation, state of the YouTube videos, and month old releases not being posted to the Asset Store, it gives a less than positive first impression. If you think that's unfair, I'm open to your argument.

Thanks

6. recon0303

recon0303

Just use that version dude......Nath gave it to everyone for bugs..lol.. As I said before I been a user of TC1 for MANY YEARS....and TC2 since beta....... Yes it is unfair, as much as Unity changes.....Assets have to change, devs, ONE don't make enough, your paying 22 bucks for software that should be thousands.....Most are, as I been in the AAA business. for years... and indie.. So again trying to not be rude here... But they have thousands of man hours, so if you can make this in 30 mins of time, great ......But no one can, so your getting in for next to nothing, so this is also not uncommon for any asset, I have never ever, ever seen any asset stay up to every update with there docs,..... Also related to the docs, many programs aren't that far off, you should be able to still use it...I know anyone, I have shown this program...has been able to use by watching the first few videos......and docs.. So I guess i'm at a loss, on what can be different about the docs........from to where it is at to the current update???? I have used it and looked at it thoroughly and see very little..... But if you can find something, that stops you from using the software, I'm sure Nath the developer will listen.

Now should Nath the developer. do, some more videos for people who just can't get it and understand it due to there nature or learning not understanding or what ever the case may be. Sure ...I would make a little more in depth tutorial...but it will show basically the same thing he already does...just repeating the same steps in many regards.....

But I would still do it if I where him...to help people a little more... Some will still find it hard.. Game development in general is not for everyone, learning certain software some just can't learn that is the way it is some people can't 3D Model, or use Substance Designer, and its and easy program.... Its use visual nodes, but if someone don't understand art, and design...Textures, graphics, normals, height maps, etc Forgot it, don't matter how simple the program is... So.....Nath the developer can't teach skill of making a great terrain, he can only give you guys the tools.... But if your having errors, and people suggest stuff that are experienced, with the tool and Unity, and you fight it, then, not sure who can help you...

PS: Also you can't go off of any date on the asset store, since they add it weeks before......and need to get approved and if the developer changes anything don't have to be an update it changes the date.....Since 2.58 shows the last update.. But regardless, 2.59 was giving to the community for BUGS.... It wouldn't be named 2.59 and given to use.... It would of been 2.58 and the store would of been 2.59....Not the other way around...

Also see the reply he gave me about 2.59... https://forum.unity.com/threads/ter...tion-gpu-powered-terrain-tool.151365/page-122

7. FreelanceGames

FreelanceGames

Well, I was unaware of the Unity review process time frame... Honestly, I didn't think anyone actually reviewed the stuff on the Asset Store... lol

Let me give that patch a try and see if it helps.

8. Webbstre

Webbstre

Hello! I bought Terrain Composer 2 about a week ago, using 2017.3 version of Unity, and I have a bug and a question

The bug first. Whatever I do, these two errors keep popping up, though it doesn't appear to be breaking anything:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. TerrainComposer2.TD.Init () (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Editor/TD.cs:214)
    3. TerrainComposer2.TC_NodeWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Editor/TC_NodeWindow.cs:143)
    4. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    5. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    6. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    7. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    8. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:295)
    9. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:288)
    10. UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:255)
    11. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. TerrainComposer2.TD.Init () (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Editor/TD.cs:214)
    3. TerrainComposer2.TC_NodeWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Editor/TC_NodeWindow.cs:143)
    4. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    5. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    6. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    7. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    8. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:295)
    9. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:288)
    10. UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:255)
    Second, I'm not sure if I just missed something or I need an outside source, but I was wondering if there is any Level of Detail (LoD) settings for the terrain with this? I would love users to see the distant terrain, but I'm worried as I start adding objects it will overload the CPU. Thanks for the 50% off sale!

9. eaque

eaque

Hi i'm using tc1, can someone help me with splat map?
    I have a first splat layer with 4 textures (perfect), i wanna add a 5one on another layer to appear at the base and with noise how can i set that?
    thx

10. eaque

eaque

11. eaque

eaque

12. NotQuiteSmith

NotQuiteSmith

Hi,
    I'm using TC2 and NodePainter 1.1.5.
    I deleted the standard splat maps (just to use my own in the project), added two images and then built a simple terrain that mixes the two maps based on "angle". However, often when I close and reopen the scene, the node has reverted to mixing the splat maps based on "image" rather than "angle". How can I prevent this?

I also often get errors when I first load the scene - not sure if it's related:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    at TerrainComposer2.TD.Init () [0x00d32] in C:\ProjectHome\Assets\TerrainComposer2\Scripts\Editor\TD.cs:214
    at TerrainComposer2.TC_NodeWindow.OnGUI () [0x00064] in C:\ProjectHome\Assets\TerrainComposer2\Scripts\Editor\TC_NodeWindow.cs:143
    at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)
    at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x000d0] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x000eb] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232
    at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115
    at UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) [0x00013] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\HostView.cs:285
    at UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) [0x00009] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\HostView.cs:278
    at UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) [0x0008f] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\HostView.cs:245

I saw one error about a missing splat map but this has now "fixed itself" but not sure why!

I have a second issue (don't know if it's related) but when I try to build an exe I get an error which is "fixed" if I delete the TerrainComposer2 object (the one containing Settings/Area2D/MesaureTool objects) from an included scene...

--- Error is ---
    Releasing render texture that is set to be RenderTexture.active!
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility: ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Error building Player: Releasing render texture that is set to be RenderTexture.active!

Build completed with a result of 'Failed'

UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+BuildMethodException: 2 errors
    at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+DefaultBuildMethods.BuildPlayer (BuildPlayerOptions options) [0x00207] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\BuildPlayerWindowBuildMethods.cs:172
    at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.CallBuildMethods (Boolean askForBuildLocation, BuildOptions defaultBuildOptions) [0x00050] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\BuildPlayerWindowBuildMethods.cs:83
    ---

EDIT: I deleted and recreated the terrain in the scene. Used the original nodepainter cache for the heightmap only. The error comes back! All the original splat maps are there now but I didn't paint anything on the terrain yet. If I disable the TerrainComposer2 object I can build the exe, then I reenable to work with the scene. I'd rather understand what's really wrong.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  13. mendoman

mendoman

Hi, I'm using Unity 2017.3, and I have some problems with TC2. Soon after I change heightmap resolution, TC2 bugs out. Sometimes it takes 10 minutes, and sometimes 1h, but quite soon program will will stop working ( maybe it's coincidence, but when I follow that tutorial, this happens very soon after that every time ). After that, no slider or anything in inspector window work anymore, but there's no errors or warning either. If I save the scene and restart Unity, I get tons of errors/warnings.

After reloading I get 2x error
    TerrainComposer2.TD.Init () (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Editor/TD.cs:214)

and 2x error
    Assertion failed: Assertion failed on expression: 'm_CurrentEntriesPtr != NULL && m_IsGettingEntries'
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

and 156x warning
    Invalid AssetDatabase path: /GUI/Buttons/Button_Minus.psd. Use path relative to the project folder.
    UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:LoadAssetAtPath(String, Type) ( For different assets like /GUI/Buttons/Button_plus etc...)

I've tried to use this program to make terrains quite a few times already, but before I get to adding trees, TC2 always breaks down. Makes it really hard to follow that tutorial video...

EDIT: Heightmap resolution does not seem to be connected to this. It was coincident, just as I thought. I tried couple more times, and this time I never changed resolutions, but still same problem happens every time. Sometimes it takes 10 minutes, sometimes 30 minutes, but eventually TC2 bugs out, and I really don't know what to do to complete my terrains

14. Seneral

Seneral

Hi, I'm the developer of the Node Painter extension:)
    Not sure if I can quite follow everything, but your first problem (Angle reverting to image) is probably related to a Node Painter enabled on that node. If that's the case, it makes sense, because Node Painter needs the node to be set to image to work, and automatically sets this. If you do not want that, you should remove the Node Painter from the node or disable it.
    The errors in TD.init() is an unrelated and unimportant error, does not break anything, but there's a fix from Nathaniel for it (this post if I'm correct).

Second error, with the RenderTexture.active being set on build, I'll take a look if Node Painter is the cause of it, should be an easy fix in that case:)

Not sure what you mean by the edit, about the splat maps? If it's really a splatmap error in the console it's most likely not related to Node Painter...
    Best regards,
    Seneral

15. NotQuiteSmith

NotQuiteSmith

You're a superstar! Thanks for taking a look!

FYI I only have NodePainter added to the heightmap node. The splat maps are just plain TerrainComposer nodes - so I don't think NodePainter is causing "Angle" to revert to "Image"

Yeah - the "RenderTexture.active" is the big problem that's preventing builds - if you can find the cause of that it would be great! Thanks!

16. Seneral

Seneral

Hm I do not get the build error with a painter in the scene. Nevertheless I can make sure that no RenderTexture is set as active between frames, still, I would like you to test if Node Painter is indeed the cause. Should be fairly easy, disable all node painter components in the scene, save and reload the scene and try to build again:)
    Thanks!
    Seneral

17. NotQuiteSmith

NotQuiteSmith

Hi,
    I disabled the one NodePainter node and it built! I reenabled the node and it failed with the error! It would be great if you could provide a quick update that fixes it! At least we found out what the root cause it!
    Thanks!

18. Seneral

Seneral

Alright, will do. Easy to make sure no RenderTexture is kept active when it's not used, but can't reproduce it in the first place, so I'll send it to you to test first if that's ok.

Also, due to problems, even rare crashes, in pre 5.6 with Node Painter in the last update I think of dropping support for it. It would allow me to remove a more-or-less stable replacement for missing callbacks that came with 5.6. If there are any users out there using Node Painter with Unity 5.5 or lower, please tell me! I assume there are not because since I did not get any reports about problems myself at all related to that over the last few months that it was public...
    Seneral

Btw, sorry for hijacking the TC2 chat - support usually belongs to the dedicated TC2 Node Painter thread:)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  19. NotQuiteSmith

NotQuiteSmith

No problem - please send the test when you can and I'll run. (It's not 100% urgent now that I have a workaround).
    Sorry if I caused you to hijack the thread ;-) I thought it was a TC2 issue at first. Sorry to the TC2 people for that! :)

20. terapong

terapong

What happen with splat? when i use terrain angle for veryhigh slope.

Attached Files:

21. Seneral

Seneral

Very weird, if the angle node were to return 0 (like the preview image indicates) the lerp should automatically fall back to the grass texture below. That's not the case so there's some other weird stuff going on. I would try to enable a curve (just to force clamp the texture range to 0-1) and maybe even play around with the curve and see if that yields something. Most probably a bug though...

22. NotQuiteSmith

NotQuiteSmith

Hi Seneral,
    Just wondering if you had any update on this? We're about to add more scenes/terrains and so turning NodePainter on/off for more scenes when we need to build an exe is going to get more difficult.

Thanks!

23. kepesh

kepesh

Thinking about updating to 2017.3. Does TC2 work with this version yet?

24. Seneral

Seneral

Ya, I got the preview ready that hopefully fixes your error (still can't reproduce).
    If you send me a PM I can send it to you (you seem to have blocked PMs, can't start one myself...).
    Thanks,
    Seneral

25. suchoparek

suchoparek

Hi all, primarily at our lovely host. I have a simple question about Terrain Composer regarding painting in runtime.

To change a portion of the terrain texture by using the default editor you have to call SetAlphamaps(). Problem is, even limiting the selection at a bunch of pixels, it is a damn spike-cpu-time-generator.
    To be clear, think about a particle system simulating a hose: getting the position of max 2-3 particles per second to paint the terrain with a wet texture is simply unsustainable performance-wise!

Now with the question: has Terrain Composer a different workflow to paint a texture in runtime or is the scripting simply not the main purpose of the editor (which would make this post the more useless in 123 pages, a record nonetheless)?

Anyway I'll definitely buy this product along with Mesh Combiner when I'll exit the prototyping phase, so take this like a feature request. :)

Thanks.

26. Seneral

Seneral

Na, as far as I know, we have to deal with what Unity provides us here. For TC2 the main bottleneck is actually assigning to the terrain, so I assume it does not do something fancy. That's why there're upcoming terrain solutions such as TerraFirma...
    For your case though, I strongly recommend a different solution than actually replacing the texture with a wet version. There are plenty of terrain shaders out there (RTP or MicroSplat for example) that support wetness as part of the shading (even in PBR workflow in case of MicroSplat). So they have little to none overhead when it comes to wetness. I recommend using such a solution over splat painting:)
    Seneral

27. suchoparek

suchoparek

Thank you for the answer Seneral. :)

Unfortunately I don't need to change texture as a whole, only a portion of the alphamap.
    In other words, to "wet" the terrain without using SetAlphamaps() (CPU side) I had to access the hidden "_Control" parameter (that is the Alphamap) in the terrain shader and use a custom RenderTexture, but due to the poor and outdated terrain engine there's no way to do it.

If you (or someone else) know of any workaround I'm open to suggestions! :D

(I've taken a look at TerraFirma, but doesn't look to have this feature).

28. Seneral

Seneral

Ok seems you misunderstood a bit:)
    I did get you want to change the splatmap so you replace a texture with a wet version - right?
    TerraFirma has a different terrain backend that allows for faster edits - I assume it will support fast edits and even directly feeding RenderTextures into the system.
    Apart from that, have you considered the terrain shader alternative? Really, replacing the splat texture is a very unperformant and uncommon way to do it, any reason not to use a terrain shader that supports wetness? Will end up looking way better either way;) It will also free up more spalt texture slots where the wet versions have previously been.
    MicroSplat has a puddles and streams modules that even has simulated water in it, and wetness is part of the PBR pipeline, so strongly recommend that...

29. suchoparek

suchoparek

Ooops, it seems I've tackled the problem the wrong side... :)
    I'd ended up using MicroSplat anyway, I simply didn't realize the puddle module existed...

Thank you so much Seneral, I owe you a beer. ;)

Seneral likes this.
  30. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Anyone else having the problem of scrolling the Terrain Composer window in Unity 2017.3 ??

I'm able to zoom in and zoom out. but I can move around in the window. :-( I basically can't even using TC in Unity 2017.3

31. FreelanceGames

FreelanceGames

Yes, there was a patch released to the forums for Unity 2017 on November 6th, 2017. I'm NOT sure why the author hasn't bothered to release it to the Unity Asset Store (its been nearly 3 month now).

The patch helped a bit, but there are still lots of issues. You might want to try email, I haven't seen the author post to these forums in some time.

led_bet and GamePowerNetwork like this.
  32. eagle555

eagle555

Hey everyone,

Sorry for the absence, just got way too busy with preparing for our crowdfunding campaign for D.R.O.N.E. which is expected to launch in beginning of this February. Also since we are working on a public demo that we released to our moderators and a few Youtubers (who gave us tons of feedback), so having my hands full with preparing and programming, but I will make time and be back soon to help solve all issues.

Nathaniel

33. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Well, I just rated the asset and I'll update my rating once fixes are in place. Sadly I'll have to use another terrain tool like Gaia since I don't know when fixes to this asset will apply.

I will however adjust my rating no matter which tool I decide to use.. but I know for a fact before 2017.3 this asset was great.. but RIGHT NOW it's a dud if using the most stable release of Unity.

I wish @eagle555 the very best on his project! and I hope I'm able to use TC2 in the future!

34. NotQuiteSmith

NotQuiteSmith

Is there any quick way to set the "Target" value (When painting a height map with "Replace") to a value, by sampling it from a point on the map? I've painted some flat "plateaus" and it would be handy to select the height when modifying one of them.

Thanks!

35. wagnerlee

wagnerlee

Hi Quick Question did any one ever tried mailing the author of this plugin as i am not getting any response from him

36. Seneral

Seneral

Hey,
    yes, it's control+leftclick, works even while painting. Just note it only samples the canvas, not the actual terrain height. So depending how you use the canvas in the TC2 node hierarchy the samples value might or might not represent the actual height value on the terrain. In the height painting example it works great:)

Btw, for further support related to TC2 Node Painter, please use it's dedicated thread instead:)
    Seneral

37. hopeful

hopeful

Read the post by @eagle555 a couple of posts above yours.

38. Vanidash-Studios

Vanidash-Studios

Hi, does anybody know how to solve the "start a new TerrainComposer2 Project"? when i click yes nothing will happen and it keeps asking if i want to start a new project.

I find it very odd, since i've been using TC2 before with version 2017.2 and havent run into any trouble, but today i started a new project and this happens .

39. txarly

txarly

Hey,

I have a problem when applying the flatten mask.I have a big terrain with 100 tiles, each one is 800x2000x800(64 km) ,and 512 of heigthmap resolution.
    I apply the flattenMask (the Y is negative) to make a hole(valley) on the terrain.More or less the hole(valley) is a rectangle of 4 tiles aprox), but i get this lines on the terrain.As higher is the resolution are more noticeable.

- Any idea how can i solve this?

Snap 2018-01-29 at 22.56.18.jpg

- The grass textures 9-16 are not working for me.(Unity 2017.3.of3, TC 2.58)

- Can i suggest if you can include in a next update a rounded mask? The idea is to create rounded mounts with trees so if you are far they look very well.

Thank you

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  40. Deadprofessor

Deadprofessor

Is it capable of auto importing multiple heightmaps like in ver.1 (i saw it on youtube)? I have a huge terrain divided into tiles from world machine and i don't want to manualy import each tile bacause it's a waste of time, obviously.

41. bumbummen99

bumbummen99

Hey there,

i have bought this asset and noticed that all tutorials are out of date. I am trying to design an island based on a shape but i cant get how am i supposed to "fade out" the "mask" to get a beach. For now it just looks like the paint height brush from the default terrain tools. Could you please provide up to date tutorials and examples on how to create an island with a smooth beach and plains? I have seen a tutorial by you with an island but it is not included with the asset and it is more kind of a mountain top sticking out of the ocean.

thanks

Edit: I have just followed the create a terrain from scratch tutorial and it seems like the system does not work as intendet. If i create some splat layers the texture just stays as it is. Also the output of the appropiate layers stays black instead of red like in the video.

In addition to that most of the example heightmap nodes dont seem to work and have a black output. I have tested it on Unity 5.6.5 and 2017.3 and ran into the mentioned problems.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  42. FreeJoyCQ

FreeJoyCQ

Hi there

I was also facing the ladder shape problem. Where I created a pure flat gradiant fill in photoshop, then apply that as a stamp, the result heightmap had small patterns in it. And the patterns changed with compression settings.

I can see the noise directly on the node。

The upper: DXT1, the lower: RGB24
    upload_2018-2-5_20-48-53.png
    upload_2018-2-5_20-50-57.png

43. Seneral

Seneral

Try exporting the image as a RAW image in 16Bit from Photoshop and use that in TC2.
    Unity imports all regular images and textures as 8Bit max, which is not enough to represent the full range of a terrain smoothly. Not TC2s fault:)

hopeful likes this.
  44. strich

strich

Does this plugin use the Unity Terrain objects or custom mesh/shader terrains? I would prefer the latter.

45. eagle555

eagle555

TC2 uses standard Unity terrains.

You need to activate the Splat button so it turn green like I do in the tutorials.

As for making a beach you can do this with a mask and a curve.

Flatten with curve.jpg
    Also there's many heightmap presets included with TC2 and you can take a look at how they work.

Nathaniel

46. eagle555

eagle555

It's not possible but you can export one big heightmap from World Machine instead, TC2 support up to 16k heightmaps per node.

That seems to be a rounding issue. I will take a look into it and also the grass textures.
    There's rounded masks -> shape -> circle.

Probably you run into an error that your project is read only and TC2 cannot copy the global settings. Can you show a screenshot of your Unity console? (control-shift-c).

Nathaniel

47. FreeJoyCQ

FreeJoyCQ

Thanks!

Raw file gives a better result, but still has ladder effect.

Firstly, 512 raw with 4097 heightmap, can see steps. It seems there is no interpolation on the original texture.
    upload_2018-2-6_11-2-43.png

Secondly, 512 raw with 513 heightmap, can see a ridge line on the surface. the first picture shows the ridge, the latter is the same view but changed to 4097 heightmap, demostrating that the ridge was not on the original height map
    upload_2018-2-6_11-26-28.png
    upload_2018-2-6_11-27-23.png
    Also notice the stripe patterns all over the surface, that is the small ups and downs on the slope shaded by light.

Orthogonal right wireframe view of one of the many smaller stripes.
    upload_2018-2-6_11-32-8.png

The ladder pattern has an impact over the splat generatation since it changes the slope rate.

48. FreeJoyCQ

FreeJoyCQ

I got warnings & errors when I opened an existed TC2 scene, as follow:

-------------------------------
    Warning:
    Invalid AssetDatabase path: /GUI/Cards/Select_Card_Header.png. Use path relative to the project folder.
    UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:LoadAssetAtPath(String, Type)
    TerrainComposer2.TD:Init() (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Editor/TD.cs:212)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_NodeWindow:OnGUI() (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Editor/TC_NodeWindow.cs:143)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Error:
    TerrainComposer2.TD.Init () (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Editor/TD.cs:214)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_NodeWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Editor/TC_NodeWindow.cs:143)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:295)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:288)
    UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:255)
    -------------------------------

Secondly, Node thumb picture often disapper, showing a black map. If I show/hide the disappered node by click the eye icon, it might recover.
    upload_2018-2-8_17-52-22.png

Thridly, if Auto generate is enabled while editing, random node may be skipped temporarily during generation. E.g., there is one splat layer for none grass texture painted over the grass texture, and I might see the the whole land is covered by grass texture, and the detail grass which was controlled by splat also grown everywhere. If I continue edit or mannually regenerate the map, the result may return to correct state. The skipped can happen on many nodes, and is totally random.

49. skinwalker

skinwalker

I have an island that I made a few months ago and now it has villages, trees etc, but I figured out that the ocean is pretty high compared to the island's ground level, so is there a way to lower the flat area that's suppose to be the ocean?

50. Seneral

Seneral

For first error Nathaniel has already posted a fix some time ago, seems it's not on AS yet... error can be ignored though, harmless:)
    Second happens sometimes when (I suppose) cached generation data is lost, for example when loading a scene or reloading the window. Just hit Generate again or refresh.
    Same with the last one, I think these might be related. 'Refresh' it is here, makes node reconsider their 'sources' (e.g. images) and all should be fine.
    Hope that helps:)

nirvanajie likes this.