Search Unity

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Thanks. I have to configure one, my mouse only has 2 buttons. :(

2. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Has anyone found a solution to the compiler errors? I've seen it in the forum earlier but never saw an answer.

While trying to building, build is canceled for the following compiler error.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    TerrainComposer2.TD.Init () (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Editor/TD.cs:214)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_NodeWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Editor/TC_NodeWindow.cs:143)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

It's my first build with TC2, so I haven't seen this before.

thanks!
    David

3. vankor

vankor

hi masks do not works when I trying to add masks for the grass texures which has number 9,10 (more 8) . bug?
    PS. It dont works when few layer groups . When just one layer groups all works!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  4. Darren-R

Darren-R

Also waiting for info about the error mentioned by dsilverthorn (and me) above:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    TerrainComposer2.TD.Init () (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Editor/TD.cs:214)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_NodeWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Editor/TC_NodeWindow.cs:143)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

As well as the noise behind the noise question I asked last week.

See my previous posts.

edit: Only errors when I go into play mode. I assume it won't build either.

Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  5. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Thanks. Glad it's not just me.
    I hope Nathaniel is checking the forums and can let us know what is happening.
    I get the same error, 2 at a time, every time.

6. Darren-R

Darren-R

Ok so, if you close the TC2 window you should be able to build and use play mode without errors.

7. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Thanks Darren,
    I'll give that a try. I am almost ready to build, so your timing is impeccable!

David

8. Wintermute088

Wintermute088

I've looked in the documentation and it says there's a sort of checkbox for preventing object overlap? For the life of me I cant find it. Does anyone know where this option is located?

Did 2.5 remove the object layer functionality altogether as well? It seems like previous versions of this plugin had more options for placed objects.

9. username132323232

username132323232

Hi, does TC2 provide any tools that would be useful in placing fence sections along a given path? Thanks!

10. Seneral

Seneral

Hey, already answered you on my painter thread.
    Still, for others searching, TC2 cannot do this automatically, and neither can my painter (as it still works upon TC2). If you paint your paths manually, then I recommend to use one of the many automated fence building tools already there. I think the easiest to get started with is Easy Scatter.
    If you use an automated pathing solution however, most have that functionality already built-in:)
    Seneral

11. recon0303

recon0303

Easy roads 3d, a new tool Sentieri, is coming. these tools also work for roads, rivers etc, as well as fences..

username132323232 and Seneral like this.
  12. hopeful

hopeful

llJIMBOBll and username132323232 like this.
  13. username132323232

username132323232

Thanks again Seneral! Easy Scatter looks promising. BTW, added your Painter to my wishlist. I just started with TC2 and I'm sure will need the Painter pretty soon:)

recon0303 and hopeful thanks for great suggestions!

Seneral likes this.
  14. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Has anyone ever had the settings and trees not work or save the settings.

I set the setting and add trees, but the terrain won't show them and the setting are not holding the additions. If I add 3 trees, then select the grass tab, then come back to the tree tab, all the trees are gone. Same with the settings, none of the manual settings are holding/saving. I have deleted TC2 and reinstalled, and still get the same thing. The tree tab in the TC2 panel stays red, I hit update and refresh, still no trees to choose from. When I check the setting for loaded trees, it is empty again.:confused:

I don't know where to check!?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    David

15. txarly

txarly

anyone knows if microsplat works with TC2?in this case, what is the way to do it?thanks

16. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I found a work around for my issue with the settings not holding.

I ran a sample project with only TC2 and it worked fine. So I copied the folder over to my current project and rewrote everything.

When I loaded the project I still had the problem, so I removed the script from the terrains and added it back. Now it works but I will need to add all my textures back. Not the best fix, but at least it is working again.

17. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Txarly,
    You should check in on the Microsplat forum, I know the author is there regularly and seems very attentive.

I don't have Microsplat, but I'm shopping between Micro and Mega...I'm leaning towards Megasplat just for all of the extra features. I know Megasplat says on the website that it works with TC2, so I bet Microsplat does too, but best to check with Jason Booth, the maker of Microsplat. He seems like a stand up guy and takes care of his customers.

Be sure to let us know what you find out! They look like great assets.

David

txarly likes this.
  18. Alverik

Alverik

Must've been a serialization issue (where the editor stops saving/loading data correctly for a component). Happens sometimes in Unity, specially when the scripts in question, or their custom inspectors, are modified and you are already using them in some objects. Chances are, all you needed was to remove and re-add the scripts (a fresh version of the component will usually always work)...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    dsilverthorn likes this.
  19. Undiscovered

Undiscovered

Hi all
    I am trying to take real world data and load it into unity via Terrain Composer.

As the are is highly detailed I have exported the height (RAW) map over 4 tiles (2x2)

The issue I am having is for some reason when I try and load an individual map to an individual tile the map becomes cropped and therefore resulting in only half of the height map being applied to the single terrain tile. (images attached)

Thanks

Attached Files:

20. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Thanks for that info.

I was thinking that too after it worked.:cool: I removed and added as a last resort when it still didn't work after the transfer.

Every program has some quirks that we have to get used to, at least now I know this one and have test to run if it happens again on any scripts.

Always good to know when others experience similar issues. Thank you for that!

David

Alverik likes this.
  21. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Undiscovered,
    I've had similar things happen and the resizing tool fixed it. You might have to enlarge and then bring it back down to where you want it. I've had that happen with the built in noises and terrains, and resizing has worked to make them show up on the whole screen. Not sure,but it seems like a memory thing, but I'm far from maxing out memory. I hope it helps, but I am still learning this so I can't guarantee it. ;)

David

22. _Luthien_

_Luthien_

Hey Nathaniel and others trying to get TC2 running on a mac: I just tried the latest Unity beta again tonight, for the first time since I upgraded to Mac OS 10.13 last week.

I wasn't all that hopeful since the CUDA driver panel is acting a bit weird (announcing "update required" but at the same time saying there isn't an update available ? :confused:? ) - I did find a newer CUDA driver over on the Nvidia website (v. 9.0.197) though and installed that. The "update required" notification did not go away, so I just left it like that, an update will supposedly come in some time.

Just for the heck I decided to try the latest Unity beta and see if the flickering problem was still there.
    And you know: it seems to have been resolved (knocking on wood) for now at least. I've fiddled around with TC2 for over an hour, with the Editor using Metal support and so far, so good.

I'm very happy with this! It's been a long wait, but maybe I can now finally go back to what I was planning to do :)

:):):)

Seneral likes this.
  23. LondonStevey

LondonStevey

Hi, Back to the gridlines problem. This happens everywhere. I've tried it on a new project, with nothing but TC2 imported. I created a scene and place nothing but my stamp or one of the included TC2 stamps. as soon as you start dragging the scales there's lines appearing throughout the stamp. This is usually when its goes above scale 1 but happens below as well.
    Is anyone else having this problem? As this is a core element of the terrain system and makes it unusable for me. I've got a completely stalled update as I can't release with this problem.

Nathaniel - I've sent you a mail a few days ago, please can you help?

Here's a video of me doing it on a fresh project and scene:

Thanks
    Steve

Attached Files:

24. gecko

gecko

yes, I'm using both together without any problems. You can switch to the MicroSplat shader and keep working on your TC2 layers, works great.

Alverik likes this.
  25. buc

buc

Image-Node for either selecting or masking doesn't work as follows:

There is only 1 sentence in the "documentation" regarding this feature, so maybe I'm just too stupid.

So I want to distribute splat-textures (and later grass) according to colors in a hand-painted color-map I have tried with colors and also just with black, white and some grey values. No success.
    - There are only a handful colors in the map (No color-bleeding, no compression), so instead of a satelite-image you can clearly see what you are selecting
    - the imagesize is a power of 2, so it doesn't get resized (which will lead in further colors due to resizing)
    - also tried enabling and disabling several things like sRGB, etc. and even have the terrain the same size as the image-resolution

The problem is that when I specify 1 color in the image-masking-node, let's say red, it selects also other colors like yellow or pink and paints the splat on it, even when the color-values are not close. You realy can distinct between red and yellow very well in the image, it's not a nuance only.
    GridSelected.png

I've also tried to use the image-node not as a masking-node, but as a selecting node. So specifying 3 splats it shows nicely a distribution-bar from black to white and the corresponding splats. And so there should be painted different splats when my image has different grey-values, but there are always just 2 splats.
    GreyNuances.png

And especially how was it meant to assign the image-color to the splat? Because there is only 1 single color to specify and not how you would expect: color x -> splat x.

So I'm realy curious about how this was meant to work, espcially because I've seen also others having problems with this feature, but while other problems have been answered the image-color-ones are still missing.

26. Seneral

Seneral

As for your color mask, after checking it, it seems you are right. It seems impossible to select a specific color or a color range,as if the channel rules are chained as OR instead of AND (if you know what I mean).
    As for your grayscale selector, seems you scaled it or set the height or something since the selector node shows as pink (which means the values is >1 in TC2), it should work fine when the image is correctly interpreted in that node:)

27. buc

buc

Thank you for your fast respond. You have been right with the scaling.

But the color-selection reacts completly weird. And as it looks for now, both variants are so cumbersome, that I can't believe it was intended in this way and I think I'm just missing some info.

Variant 1) Use some grey colors, but realy only a few so you can predict where the curves result in the respective splat-texture. Not very intuitive.

Variant 2) For every single thing you want to use a color-map, make a separate map with only one single color. So (hopefully) you can be sure only the correct color gets selected.

So as a naiv but intuitiv way as a user you would think of a color-list where you can assign the corresponding splat. But I always can specify only 1 single color (or color-range).

So what would be the correct way if you want the color yellow to be mapped to splat 3 and color red to be mapped to splat 1, etc. Regardless of doing it with selection-node or mask-node or whatever.

28. Alex-3D

Alex-3D

Hi,
    Is TC2 compatible with EasyRoads3D? With Fog Volume 3?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  29. claudius_I

claudius_I

when end the sale?

30. buc

buc

For EasyRoads I had the same question today. So it would not work directly, because when not using the ER interface you can not just drag the road parts into the scene, but there is an API for this.
    http://unityterraintools.com/EasyRoads3D/v3/html/scriptingAPI.html

So the way would be to place some placeholders with TC and then do a further process by using the ER-API.

But for this you would probably need to solve the problem posted by me above. Since if you want to distribute anything based on a colored-texture you will face this problems.

For Fog Volume 3 (I can't test because I don't have it) it depends if you can just drag a prefab into the scene without further involved things. So for some tools like ER it is not enough to just drag them into scene, but you would need to tell the tool about the references by API. If this is not the case and you can solve the upper problem (good luck) then you could theoretically place everything. And for the nontheoretical, but practical thing, we will see you here.

31. Jogalog

Jogalog

Is there any updated info/tutorials for altering terrains at runtime? I am able to change terrain with scripts but it doesn't work at runtime. Is there an example of how to do it properly in Terrain Composer 2?

32. IrishDev

IrishDev

Hi all,

I am hoping someone can help me.

When using WC I can produce a nice looking map but when attempting to integrate this with TC2 issues occur.
    1) There is no Export to Terrain Composer flag. Both TC & WC are both the latest versions available from the Asset Store (WC 1.5.4 & TC2 2.58)
    2) When attempting to use the image file created above the RawFiles folder in a height node, i.e.: attempting to use the raw file as a stamp, the raw file is always very pixelated.
    This is despite modifying the Height map Resolution and Max size settings
    Does anyone know how to address this behavior?

Thanks!

upload_2017-10-5_15-50-5.png

upload_2017-10-5_15-49-44.png

33. Tight-Tie

Tight-Tie

Hello.
    Could you tell how to generate landscapes using DX10 videocards? They are not generated because of "compute shaders"
    Regards
    Ilya

34. eagle555

eagle555

Hello everyone,

Today I will answer all the support questions and will try to fix all encountered issues asap.

Nathaniel

IrishDev likes this.
  35. eagle555

eagle555

DirectX 10 supports a more limited version of compute shaders. Maybe it's possible to get it working, can you share the details of the error you get?

Nathaniel

36. Tachy

Tachy

Hi,
    Can someone tell me how to go about importing a tiled dataset from World Machine into TC2? I'm new to the package and I can't find any resources or tutorials on how to do this. I found a tutorial for the original TC but it couldn't be followed for TC2.

37. eagle555

eagle555

In WorldMachine you need to export as 1 tile as TC2 supports up to 16K heightmaps. I explain it here: How can I import a heightmap from WorldMachine?
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/terraincomposer2-documentation/#frequently-asked-questions

Nathaniel

38. gecko

gecko

Has anyone done the testing to determine optimum size for terrain tiles? I have a 7x7km terrain, currently divided into a 4x4 grid, but wondering if those are still too big. The viewing distances are pretty high (you can usually see terrain that's 3-4km away).

(I hope it's okay to post this question here; it's not directly TC2 related, but TC makes it so easy to change the tiling that I'm hoping someone has insights on the question.)

39. eagle555

eagle555

No it doesn't affect the build or the platform you are using, unless you want to use TC2 to generate something in runtime on the fly. But basically you can create (Unity) terrains with TC2 in the Editor and then even delete TC2 from your project.

I'm looking into this bug and try to fix it asap.

Yes this can be tweaked with the 'Octaves' settings. Put it to 1 and you only get 1 noise. How octaves are working is that with each octave another noise is added with half the scale, so it gets more and more detailed.

upload_2017-10-6_20-12-42.png

I've put scrolling on left shift and send the patch by email, this will be available in next update for everyone.

Nathaniel

Attached Files:

Alverik likes this.
  40. eagle555

eagle555

This can't be a build error, as it's a null reference error. So probably you got another error that was causing it. Usually it happens when a script uses something from Unity's Editor only API. This has to be put inbetween #if UNITY_EDITOR and #endif

I'm looking into this bug and will try to fix it asap.

No I haven't removed any functionality only added new options. Which exact feature are you missing? As object layer needs to be set on the GameObject you want to spawn.

As for distance between the objects this can be set in the main object node with 'Object Resolution'. When you need different distances, it can be done with masks, e.g. putting circle clamp mode on continuous:
    upload_2017-10-6_20-34-12.png

A more advanced and easy solution is in the making to specify distance based on other objects and the object itself.

Nathaniel

Alverik likes this.
  41. recon0303

recon0303

are you going to Steam this with your own tool, or World Streamer? If so, you shouldn't have more than 9 tiles been seen/loaded, at once... So finding the right tile amount alot of times is trial and error....it also depends on resolution of your terrains.

for a 10 km by 10 km terrain, I have around 625 by 625 tiles . after I split them up . So again many factors matter..

zenGarden likes this.
  42. gecko

gecko

Thanks for the reply. I'm planning to use World Streamer, and possibly use Horizon(ON) for the LOD tiles, instead of meshes. 625x625--wow, I never imagined! But I assume you've got pretty short sightlines then?

Alverik likes this.
  43. recon0303

recon0303

eh?? nope, you don't need short sight lines.. Terrain Shader normals do most of your detailed work so nothing is really missed, plus each tile is smaller so imagine if you had 4k, each tile, your game would of a heart attack.. this is common way of doing things even for AAA companies. indies etc .You also DO not need Horizon On, unless you want it.. Our world is around 50km by 50 km, I also have maps around 10 km by 10 km and a few others.

but you still should be making 4k,resolution maps then splitting them up. into tiles.

World Streamer does your LOD as well...for anything further out...Use Ring Streaming..

Alverik likes this.
  44. buc

buc

Nice to see you back again. I just want to clarify that my color-image problem isn't solved, although a user was so kind to answer the post. So please don't put it on the done list.

The problem a bit shorter: I have a handpainted color-image with only a handful of colors representing different things, like yellow for the paths, different green for different grass-sorts, areas for trees, etc. And I want TC to do for example that: wherever you see the color yellow in the color-image, paint the cobble-splat onto the terrain.

But I can't get it done, neither with the color-image as a selection node, nor as a mask node. It also seems to be a conceptual problem. For example when using the color-image as a selection node, I never can add more than one color. So the node should select more than one texture, but I can specify only 1 single-color. So it is not possible.

45. eagle555

eagle555

This probably happens because you have the 'Apply' set to 'All Terrain Areas'. I will fix this, you have to set it to 'Terrain Area' instead. Then it should work fine again...

Hmm strange, that shouldn't happen. I'm trying to reproduce the issue, but it doesn't happen here. Did the scaling up and down work?

That's great news :) I wonder if it's fixed for other Mac users as well...

Thanks for showing. This is a rounding issue, I will fix this...

Good points indeed, I overlooked this. I will implement to be able to choose between 'and' and 'or' and use 'and' as the default which makes more sense.

Yes TC2 is compatible with those. TC2 just generates standard Unity terrain. Workflow for easy roads is to first make the terrain with TC2 and in the end do the roads.

I don't know exactly yet.

I will add how to do runtime to the documentation...

This is probably because your heightmap is not square. TC2 requires a squire heightmap, if you make it square with WC it should work...

Nathaniel

IrishDev and Seneral like this.
  46. gecko

gecko

We've done only some initial testing, but 2017.1 is definitely better on Mac Metal Editor -- looks like Lerp (on Layers) works now, and I *think* that splats #9 and higher also work properly now (not black as before). Need to do more testing to confirm, but optimistic.

And +1 to supporting color ranges on hand-colored distribution maps, that would be super helpful.

47. Alex-3D

Alex-3D

Hi,
    What is the better way to duplicate a TC2 terrain (for using it in other scenes or for workflow archivation purposes)?

48. Tight-Tie

Tight-Tie

Hello.
    The question about DX10 videocards. Here is an exception:

Platform does not support compute shaders
    UnityEngine.ComputeShader:Dispatch(Int32, Int32, Int32, Int32)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Compute:RunNodeCompute(TC_GroupBehaviour, TC_Node, Single, ComputeBuffer, Boolean) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Compute.cs:849)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_NodeGroup:ComputeValue(Single) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Nodes/TC_NodeGroup.cs:110)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Layer:ComputeHeight(ComputeBuffer&, ComputeBuffer&, Single, Boolean) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Nodes/TC_Layer.cs:35)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_LayerGroupResult:ComputeSingle(Single, Boolean) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Nodes/TC_LayerGroupResult.cs:46)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_LayerGroup:ComputeSingle(ComputeBuffer&, Single, Boolean) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Nodes/TC_LayerGroup.cs:29)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate:ComputeHeight(Rect) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:1019)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate:Compute(TCUnityTerrain, Int32, Rect) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:246)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate:GenerateOutput(TCUnityTerrain, Int32, Boolean, Rect) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:477)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate:GenerateHeight(TCUnityTerrain, Boolean, Rect, Boolean) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:497)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate:Generate(TCUnityTerrain, Boolean, Rect) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:419)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate:Generate(Boolean, Rect, Int32) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:393)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate:Generate(Boolean, Int32) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:331)
    MyTerrain:Start() (at Assets/Scripts/RTS/Other/MyTerrain.cs:282)

BTW it is not necessary to search for a DX10 videocard. You can check it by selecting Edit-Graphics emulation - Shader model 3

Regards
    Ilya

49. gecko

gecko

I'm having some new problems after bringing my project into 2017.1. This is on a 2017 MacBook Pro with AMD 560 GPU. On 5.6.3, TC2 mostly worked, but wouldn't render splats #9 and higher, and Lerp didn't work on layers. Now, those two things work individually, but I not necessarily together...though before I can fully debug that issue, I'm having a new and different issue. TC2 is applying the last splat (#12) in my splat list to the entire terrain, at 50-100% opacity. See screenshot -- I've assigned a red texture to make the issue obvious. I'm not using that red splat in any of the TC2 nodes, but it's being applied throughout, mostly overwhelming the other splats -- that's evident visually here, and also with the Measure Tool. Anyone got any ideas?

Attached Files:

50. IrishDev

IrishDev

Thanks Nathaniel,
    Using a square heightmap/raw file helped to address the behavior that was occurring.