Search Unity

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Atzig

Atzig

I was afraid of that, well, I've some terrains to redo, thanks!

2. antoripa

antoripa

What is the workflow to use in TC2 an huge terrain from WC ?

3. Seneral

Seneral

There's no specific outline to that yet, but it should be very similar to that of TC1, atleast the prepping of the WC image. So you might want to take a look at the 24-hour demo tutorial document by Nathaniel and Peter.
    After that, you can easily populate the terrain as usual with grass, trees, and objects;)

antoripa likes this.
  4. antoripa

antoripa

Thanks. I am not familiar with TC1 .. started directly with TC2

5. Luis_Calvo

Luis_Calvo

Hello, I'm having a problem over here, everytime I try to add any blur node for I get this error:

This error stops updating my terrain, with TC2.
    Is there a ways to solve this error?
    Also, I'm just trying to smooth my terrain a little bit, is there a alternative way to do that?

I'm using Unity 5.3.6p7

Thanks,
    Luis

6. Atzig

Atzig

Sorry to jump in here but if you're simply looking to get a heightmap from World Composer into TC2, you just put the raw file in TerrainComposer2/Examples/Stamps/Mountains (or whichever folder)/RawFiles.

@Seneral Just curious, are you involved with TC2's development? I was just wondering if there was a way to set the object terrain deform to real time instead of having to click refresh.

7. Seneral

Seneral

Nah, I'm not:p I'm just trying to help out where I can repeating what I picked up before lol. I'm working with TC2 alot recently but not on TC2;) Although I am in the beta group so I do make some suggestions from time to time.
    As to your question, you need to attach a component called 'TC_AutoGenerate' to your objects which simply triggers an auto-generate when moved;) Works at runtime, too!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  8. eagle555

eagle555

It will be there in the next update, ETA is this week...

If you the buttons in the top of the TC2 window are red you run into an import issue with Unity. The solution is the first in trouble shooting:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/terraincomposer2-documentation/#trouble-shooting

You can import heightmaps straigth from WorldComposer, as they have TC2 stamp format. I explain it here:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/terraincomposer2-documentation/#stamps

That's because the Layer method is on L (Lerp). So it will overwrite the previous layer based on the mask used (you don't use any). If you want to blend it with the sand layer you need to change the method to 'Add'.

I recommend to follow my tutorial video as you will understand it better:

Nathaniel

DesertRaven likes this.
  9. eagle555

eagle555

If you have many terrain tiles from WorldComposer, this integration is not implemented yet. But will come in the next update that I'm working on at the moment. As now you can use an image node, but you would basically need a image node with multiple image tiles.

Probably you add the blur node as the first node in a layer, this is not allowed. The best way to smooth is to use a lower terrain resolution as it will also give you more performance. The blur node does work at any other position within a layer, just not as a first node.

Yes Seneral is helping me out on the forum :). For Object placement it's like he says. Here you can find it as well in the documentation:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/terraincomposer2-documentation/#manual-object-placement

Nathaniel

antoripa likes this.
  10. antoripa

antoripa

I can wait next update .. thanks a lot ..

11. gozdagb

gozdagb

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  12. Seneral

Seneral

I've experienced that too, try to scale down the node a bit and if that does not work, try scaling it in your image editor, but the first should work fine.

13. davide445

davide445

Testing WC and TC2 I have this problems (using Unity 5.4.2f2):
    - WC generate a rough terrain, I suppose since Bing maps export 8 bit height maps (?)
    - Tried to use TC2 to refine this maps but here I'm simply unsure how to start editing the generated height maps, considering this step of the tutorial I didn't find the lower node where to associate my map. I suppose this is the error defined in the Troubleshooting, but I tried to reimport the asset using Mixed mode in Asset serialization and next switching back to Force Text but I didn't see any difference. I also tried to reload many times TC2 project without chaning the Asset serialization, no better.
    - I did see a lot of TC2 related errors in the console:
    1 instance of the error
    ArgumentException: The Object you want to instantiate is null.
    UnityEngine.Object.CheckNullArgument (System.Object arg, System.String message) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/UnityEngineObject.cs:196)
    UnityEngine.Object.Instantiate (UnityEngine.Object original) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/UnityEngineObject.cs:163)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_NodeWindow.Open () (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Editor/TC_NodeWindow.cs:547)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_NodeWindow.ClickMenuMain (System.Object obj) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Editor/TC_NodeWindow.cs:509)
    UnityEditor.GenericMenu.CatchMenu (System.Object userData, System.String[] options, Int32 selected) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/GenericMenuBindings.gen.cs:122)

and
    4234 instances of this error
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    TerrainComposer2.TC_ItemBehaviourEditor.DrawTerrainHeightSlider (Rect rect) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Editor/TC_ItemBehaviourEditor.cs:1524)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_ItemBehaviourEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Editor/TC_ItemBehaviourEditor.cs:546)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor editor, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1235)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  14. davide445

davide445

Ok I deleted and re-imported again the asset all seems fine.
    Now trying to assign the imported heightmap to the node, but either using File RawImage or Image I can't generate anything.
    The Raw file I imported in Unity seems to be not recognized, creating a Render texture from it generate a black image.
    Experimenting with the standard nodes and presets all is working fine. Only the images in the editor appear out of center.
    TC2 Editor.JPG

Also considering the 16 bit (or 24 bit) RAW files are the center of every height map generation there is any software apart Photoshop able to manage it?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  15. Tight-Tie

Tight-Tie

Hello
    I've got 2 issues with TC2:
    1) When I set my numbers in "Terrain Area" object Size and then save a scene the after this scene loading or reopening the unity editor the numbers are set to default (2048 750 2048), my numbers are reset
    upload_2016-11-24_23-19-26.png
    2) The second question is how to check that generation of a terrain was fully finished? It seems that the generation goes in background after TC_Generate.instance.Generate(true)

16. Sickscore

Sickscore

Hello,
    Is there any way to increase the density of placed objects? When I place some trees, bushes and stones with perlin noise at the same location, they are places with less density and they cancel each other out.

Is there a way to create a jungle environment for example with many different types of vegetation next to each other?

Thanks in advance!

17. davide445

davide445

Looking at the Roadmap I read "Use existing terrain heightmap without the need to generate it.".
    Want just to ask what this exactly mean.

18. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

Hello Nathaniel - so I just purchased the asset today and followed your tutorial video to create a terrain from scratch. I only went as far as the actual land / terrain shaping, stopped at the trees. When running the scene in an empty project with created terrain, there were over 500 batches reported, which seems really high? Is that normal / expected?

Thanks.

//WildStyle

19. davide445

davide445

Hi @WildStyle69 me too following the tut, I'm stopped from the last step of the heightmaps creation: how do you duplicate the group as time 4:10 of the tutorial?

20. Sickscore

Sickscore

Just select the group node and hit Ctrl+D to duplicate

davide445 likes this.
  21. davide445

davide445

Ok almost finished the tutorial. Last problem, in Object placement for some reason
    - All the stones are below the terrain
    - Two different types are placed in the same place, so that only one is visible
    The second problem was there for some other objecs such as bush,mushrooms etc I put in the tree layer.
    Also there is some strange glitch since the mask node with the Angle there is just an horizontal line.
    Object placement.JPG

22. davide445

davide445

Me too learning the tool and noticed the first problem. Resolved using square shape mask instead of circle. Also and probably more effective: in the Tree Output node (first up right) you can set the Tree resolution per meter. Lowering the value are more trees per sqm.
    For the second I think you need only to create a second Tree layer with the kind of vegetation you want. Using the mask you can then place it everywhere.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  23. recon0303

recon0303

are you hitting Apply? just making sure:)

24. silentneedle

silentneedle

Has DX9 support for mac been dropped? Because it's not listed on the roadmap anymore.

25. eagle555

eagle555

It's the the image node detects 0-254 color value instead of 0-255. This will be fixed in the next update, you can scale the y of the node transform a little bit like Seneral suggests.

1). WorldComposer extracts 16 bit raw grey scale maps and it only gets blockery if you higher the resolution of the terrain in the 'Create Terrain' tab. I explain it in the first question in WorldComposer troubleshooting here:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/troubleshooting/

You need to drag and drop the heightmap into a 'RawFiles' folder. I explain it here:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/terraincomposer2-documentation/#stamps

1). I send you an e-mail with a fix.
    2). If you use the true parameter it should generate instantly and be finished when returning from the method.

Nathaniel

26. eagle555

eagle555

Unity has added Mac Editor on Metal and Compute Shaders for Metal in Unity 5.6, see roadmap.
    https://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap
    Probably won't be long before Unity 5.6 will go into beta as Unity 5.5 is about to be released...So DX9 Mac Editor support is not really needed anymore as it will work with Metal in Unity5.6...

Nathaniel

Seneral and _Luthien_ like this.
  27. eagle555

eagle555

Yes this is possible, you can increase the resolution of trees and objects in the 'Tree' and 'Object' output node (in the inspector after clicking on them).

The nodes are just GameObjects that are hidden in the hierarchy so the normal command for GameObjects will work on them. Like Delete key for deleting them and control-d for duplicating, can also right click on a node to duplicate it with mouse popup menu.

Is 'Include Terrain Height' enabled in the rock nodes?
    Does the refresh button in TC2 window solve the glitch?

Nathaniel

28. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

@eagle555 -- can you please answer my previous query on batches?

"Hello Nathaniel - so I just purchased the asset today and followed your tutorial video to create a terrain from scratch. I only went as far as the actual land / terrain shaping, stopped at the trees. When running the scene in an empty project with created terrain, there were over 500 batches reported, which seems really high? Is that normal / expected?"

Cheers...

//Wildstyle

29. eagle555

eagle555

Yes this is normal. It's Unity terrain lod system that creates multiple meshes. You can reduce the batches with pixel error in terrain settings. This can be adjusted in TerrainArea GameObject -> Settings. A pixel error of 5 is the default.

Nathaniel

30. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

Thanks @eagle555 -- your feedback make sense. After experimenting more with the settings, I found a few things that affected the batches and draw calls including this, so am able to improve things.

31. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi guys,

Is RTP integrated now with the current asset store version?

DesertRaven and TechDeveloper like this.
  32. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

Hi, does anyone here know if Terrain Composer works well together with Easy Road PRO, Suimono Water and Unistorm? ?

33. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

I use Unistorm and think it is really great. I am only just starting to delve deeper into it but the features are very flexible. I am not a veteran with it but results are good when lighting the terrains.

34. Arganth

Arganth

I dont think so looking at:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/roadmap/

but i am curious too :)

should be in really soon :) hopefully

AndyNeoman likes this.
  35. antoripa

antoripa

Hi,
    I need a quick support. I am not getting how object placement works .. shaping the terrain like in the video.
    Thanks

36. voncarp

voncarp

Hi,

Since Terrain Composer 2 does not have Mac functionality, I am limited to the first version. Even though I have already upgraded in anticipation that Terrain Composer 2 is coming to the Mac. Patiently.

Using Unity 5.5.0f3 I can not see the right side of any menu views. Would appreciate some advice on how to remedy this. As of now, I can no longer use any version of Terrain Composer properly.

37. eagle555

eagle555

No not yet, but will be with the next update. Also RTPv4 will be released soon and it will have unlimited (256) splat texture support with the cost of only 4-8 splat textures. TC2 will also support RTPv4.

TerrainComposer/WorldComposer create standard Unity terrain, so yes...

I explain it here:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/terraincomposer2-documentation/#manual-object-placement

If you need more help with it let me know...

Nathaniel

antoripa likes this.
  38. eagle555

eagle555

TC1 works fine here on Unity 5.5.0f3, do you get an error in the Unity console (control-shift-c)? Does it work with undocking the TC2 window? What you can also try is reset layout back to factory settings in 'Layout' in top right of Unity window, and reopen the TC1 window.

TC1_Unity5.5.jpg

39. antoripa

antoripa

40. shwa

shwa

When will this work on OSX? The date has been pushed back a number of times, which is disappointing.

41. gghitman69

gghitman69

Hi Why roadmap does not move .
    2.2 was to be released in November

42. voncarp

voncarp

The editor in your screenshot appears to be on Windows. Mac version looks as such:

Just opened a new project and imported terrain composer 1.96. Errors on startup after updating assemblies. The GUI cutoff is even more apparent when you use the examples in my prior pics. Revert factory settings does not resolve the issue.

43. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi Nathaniel,

I have bumped into a few errors. Seems to be related to splat textures. When I try to add them and height map these errors appear.

Reset splats does nothing. (using latest TC2 from store and unity 5.5)

EDIT:- The errors appear as soon as I add a node to the splat. (I.E when i add circle or height etc.)

EDIT:- A tried a complete re download and install and everything seemed fine until i removed some of the textures. I only want 4 splat textures as i want to run RTP in single pass but this is what causes the errors

DestroyBuffer can only be called from the main thread.
    Constructors and field initializers will be executed from the loading thread when loading a scene.
    Don't use this function in the constructor or field initializers, instead move initialization code to the Awake or Start function.
    UnityEngine.ComputeBuffer:Finalize()

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Compute.RunComputeMultiMethod (TerrainComposer2.TC_ItemBehaviour item, Boolean doNormalize, UnityEngine.RenderTexture[]& rtsLeft, UnityEngine.ComputeBuffer maskBuffer, UnityEngine.RenderTexture rtLeftPreview) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Compute.cs:789)
    TerrainComposer2ulti (UnityEngine.RenderTexture[]& renderTextures, UnityEngine.ComputeBuffer& maskBuffer, Single seedParent, Boolean first) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Nodes/TC_LayerGroup.cs:62)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate.ComputeSplat () (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:748)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate.Compute (Int32 outputId) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:185)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate.RunGenerateStack () (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:168)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate.MyUpdate () (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:128)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorApplicationBindings.gen.cs:197).TC_Layer.ComputeMulti (UnityEngine.RenderTexture[]& renderTextures, UnityEngine.ComputeBuffer& maskBuffer, Single seedParent, Boolean first) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Nodes/TC_Layer.cs:80)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_LayerGroupResult.ComputeMulti (UnityEngine.RenderTexture[]& renderTextures, Single seedParent, Boolean doNormalize, Boolean first) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Nodes/TC_LayerGroupResult.cs:151)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_LayerGroup.ComputeM
    IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Compute.RunComputeMultiMethod (TerrainComposer2.TC_ItemBehaviour item, Boolean doNormalize, UnityEngine.RenderTexture[]& rtsLeft, UnityEngine.ComputeBuffer maskBuffer,

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  44. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

Can Terrain Composer be used as a tool to add trees, grass and textures to an already existing Unity terrain?

45. BigBite

BigBite

Yes. Sorta. The tool is missing support for terrains that are already created. There are some workarounds (I think, I've done some looking into this). Support for that will be coming soon I believe.

DesertRaven likes this.
  46. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

I'd buy it today if I knew for sure, I think this would be an important additional functionality.

47. BigBite

BigBite

Here is a link to the Roadmap on the website: http://www.terraincomposer.com/roadmap/
    You can see that one of the upcoming improvements to the tool is the ability to work with an already existing heightmap without regenerating it. Though I don't know if that means that Terrain Composer can effectively "pull" the heighmap out of the existing terrain. And that is an important note to make because a Heightmap is different than a Unity Terrain. If I'm not mistaken, Terrain Composer uses an actual Heightmap to do all of its texturing, grass, etc.

It probably would be able to, but some clarification would be appreciated.

48. voncarp

voncarp

Any further support on this? It is too difficult to use Terrain Composer on Mac/iOS without knowing the variables that do not show. Mac users from 5.5 cannot use any variation of Terrain Composer. I also have Windows, it works fine. But with Mac or iOS editor, it doesn't function properly. A response would be appreciated.

49. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Is there a step-by-step or video how to do the Manual Object placement with terrain editing like your quick intro video?

Thansk

50. Deleted User

Deleted User

FYI:
    I am getting the same error, when trying to customize my splat textures, When I delete the 8 default splat textures, and add my custom 4, boom, 'Array index is out of range....leading me to believe, the 8 splat count is hard coded..if I find a fix, I will post!

p-

AndyNeoman likes this.