Search Unity

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

What do you mean with "impatient"? Will something like that come with TC2? After seeing your pictures I checked it out and I'm thinking about getting erosion brush as well now.

2. nuggs94

nuggs94

Hey is it possible to make a video on working with multiple terrain tiles? i cannot work it out as in standard unity i just add another terrain then can start working on it separately, but when i add one here it still has the nodes from the first terrain and i cant put anything on the new one. i know it is probably easy to do i just cannot find any instructions for it. Really liked the first video on making terrain from scratch. Cheers

3. IrishDev

IrishDev

Thanks for that Nathaniel.
    Yes it was related to a custom water shader from the Sky Master asset.
    ( on a Water4Advanced(Clone)ReflectionSceneCamera object)
    When this was inactivated it was possible to add the Collision node without incident.

I am still having issues getting this functionality to work and I guess that there is something I am overlooking:

* Created an Objects layer.
    * Created a Capsule object and added the object to the Object layer.
    * Attached the ‘TC_AutoGenerate’ script to the object.
    * On the Height layer a new layer with a Collision node was created with * the Collision Mask set to Objects.
    * Created a Collision Mask node. Set the Collision Mask to Objects and the Collision Mode to Mask
    * On the Collision Mask node activated the Global curve and using the "I" button to invert it
    * Changed the Layer operator to Lerp.

At the moment it does not appear as if the node is recognizing the object with the ‘TC_AutoGenerate’ script on it.
    Both nodes appear completely black.

Anyone have a suggestion that could help?

4. eagle555

eagle555

Are you working with multiple terrain tiles? As collision doesn't work correctly on multiple terrain tiles in beta 6. I have this fixed in beta7a...

Nathaniel

5. IrishDev

IrishDev

Hi Nathaniel,
    At the moment I am only using one terrain tile, so I am unsure if this is related to the bug you have addressed for the beta 7a.

6. mrdl2010

mrdl2010

Can this asset create voxel stuffs or rtp is the only option now?

7. Szaruga

Szaruga

Today I added a lot of "red" Layer Group in Highmap division, and... i increased the resolution to see the effects of work
    These settings cause me freezes the computer:

The only thing I can do is reset computer. I tried several times and always the same

Is this a known issue with Terraincomposer?
    Is the fault lies on the side of my computer?
    My PC:
    - Windows 8.1
    - i5 4460
    - RAM 16GB
    - GPU-GTX 750Ti
    - SD Crucial MX100 256GB

Attached Files:

8. Seneral

Seneral

No, TC2 can't create voxels because it has no voxels to use in default Unity obviously and there are no integrations for any voxel systems (yet)...
    TC2 has been designed for 2D terrains so there would probably be alot of changes required to make it support voxels - although it does work on 3D textures internally. But I wouldn't count on TC2 supporting voxels anytime soon;)

9. Seneral

Seneral

I've not experienced a freeze so far, just tested it with alot of overflow and for 2x2 terrains on 4k each - does it also freeze without the overflow (red)? I won't ask you to test again and risk another freeze but from what you're saying it is probably related to it? Have you set such a high resolution on this rig before? Shouldn't be missing ressources on your rig though...
    Other than that, I wouldn't exclude a platform/hardware specific bug.

10. mrdl2010

mrdl2010

Is the integration to rtp on the roadmap? I remember it has an integration on TC1

11. Seneral

Seneral

If in doubt, you can always check the roadmap yourself:)
    RTP Integration is coming in beta 7b, which will come after the next release, beta 7a.

12. Netsun

Netsun

Hum i juste reinstall unity after i format my pc and now when i try to creat a new terrain i get that error:

and this one:

Edit: Sorry, ok so:

Win 10
    Unity 5.4.0f3

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  13. Szaruga

Szaruga

Specific bug my platform/hardware... yes... maybe...
    Anyway...
    My TC2 project contains 40 mountain stamps, if i turn off half stamps with these settings:

everything is OK.
    But when I turn ON all stamps, PC hangs... always

Attached Files:

14. recon0303

recon0303

did you try a fresh file?? and see if it still happens?

15. recon0303

recon0303

You can check it your self, its on the forum for TC2 forums.

That way you can see everything that is updated and such.

16. zelgo

zelgo

multiple tiles work like one big tile, just divided up into pieces

the nodes you make will apply to the tiles as if it were one big one, but you can put small stamps and move them to the location of a certain tile if you need to

as for making completely separate terrains in TC2 with their own individual nodes, that is currently on the roadmap for version 2.1 7b

17. shwa

shwa

OSX MAC?

Hi,

I don't see OSX/MAC on the roadmap.
    A while back i think i read that July was the target date for this.

Any rough idea when OSX customers can expect a version that will work for OSX?

thanks.

18. mons00n

mons00n

It's at the end of the list under Beta 8.

Any updates on the latest beta with the multi-terrain tile fixes Nathan? It's September 10th =)

Netsun likes this.
  19. pagnotmf

pagnotmf

I am curious if there is an "edit lock" feature with TC2 that basically allows you to go back to using Unity tools on the terrain. I want to use TC2 to produce an environment and then manually go back and remove some portions of the environment and hand paint textures in those edited areas. I do not have TC1 and just can't find in the forum what happens to one's ability to use any unity tools on a TC2 terrain. I guess I need to manually alter terrain height as well after the fact.

Rowlan likes this.
  20. recon0303

recon0303

Is there a fix or anything for when you close down Unity, I lose my splat maps for awhile now the nodes are there, I save them, but everything is black, they worked when I did it, but if you close down Unity an reopen the file nodes are all there, Height Maps nodes seem to be working, but Splats are not.. Any fix soon???

21. eagle555

eagle555

How many terrain tiles do you use? It can be a memory issue, do you use the same stamps or all different? Are it my stamps or did you make your own? (what resolution do they have?).

Can you show a screenshot? This might have to do with basemap distance on the terrain.

Yes you can do this, disable the output buttons (height/splat, etc) that you want to manually edit. Its not a 'TC2' terrain, as TC1/TC2 create Unity terrain. E.g. if you alter the splatmap manually with Unity terrain brush and generate with TC2 again the splatmap output, it will overwrite it.

Yes I'm still working on it at the moment, although it is ready 99% ready. I'm testing if everything works correctly and is compatible with the current version. I found a few more things and am fixing it now. E.g. the placed trees heights are not exactly correct (they are a bit floating or sticking too much into terrain).

A rough estimation would be somewhere in Oktober. I'd like to be more careful with giving predictions though. As soon as I will start to work more on it, I will be able to tell better how long it will take.

Can you show some screenshot of TC2 window? For it to work the capsule needs to be above the terrain...Maybe that is the issue?

Yes completely separate terrains will act like 1 node, that you can be positioned/rotated/scaled like a stamp. And put in groups as well and then position/rotate/scale the group node, etc. The functionality is already there, only need to make a GUI for it.

Nathaniel

22. Szaruga

Szaruga

My terrain:
    - one(1x) 4000x4000
    - i use a few of your stamps (mountains) and two of my (roads and rivers 4000x4000)

I have about 40 mountains, each made in a separate Layer Group. To avoid problem with the hang computer, i need to disable the part. I have not found that the problem was due to my stamps.

edit//
    I did tests that showed that any use more stamps, freezes my computer. This may be one of your stamps used repeatedly (about 40 times). Although I have a relatively small terrain i need use many stamps. Perhaps the fault of my computer. But I have a question: Is there a limit to the number of used stamps?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  23. recon0303

recon0303

Nath I added it to Skype on the channel. It works, until I reboot Unity, then its gone.

24. Jarek-Defiler

Jarek-Defiler

I had to redo the terrain on my map because it got all messed up. When I reapplied the splats it puts lines through everything: 1.png
    Any idea how to fix this?

25. Fatalis

Fatalis

I've upgraded my project that has TC2 from 5.3 to 5.4.0f3. I am getting two errors as well as not getting any output from my nodes. I've attached a screenshot.

Kernel 'MultiMethodSubtract' not found
    UnityEngine.ComputeShader:FindKernel(String)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Compute:OnEnable() (at Q:/Unity Projects/TC2heighttest/Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Compute.cs:89)

UnityException: FindKernel failed
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Compute.OnEnable () (at Q:/Unity Projects/TC2heighttest/Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Compute.cs:89)

Attached Files:

26. malkere

malkere

Heyo, checkin' in.
    Any idea when
    1. camera following
    2. world coord reset capabilities
    3. multiple TC2 systems in the same scene
    will be implemented?

27. mrdl2010

mrdl2010

Hi Nathaniel,
    I sent you a few messages, please help me.

28. Seneral

Seneral

Do you have some kind of terrain node in your project that returns this repeated pattern? I could imagine with so many terrains that a terrain node (Height, Angle, ...) might glitch out. Maybe you can try to recreate all terrains and see if that fixes it:)

29. Jarek-Defiler

Jarek-Defiler

Thanks, tried that but still same problem. :(

30. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Kia ora

I just got to upgrading and importing this and went to look at the scene demos,.. strangely they are all on
    auto lol

Not sure what would do this, Terrain Composer is the only asset loaded at this point

31. Kamzoki

Kamzoki

Hi, I have a question though, Why can't I make chages to Mountains created by TC2 with Unity Terrain standered tool? What If I want to make special looking, or pathes through the mountains, and I want to do it manually?

Rowlan likes this.
  32. eagle555

eagle555

Sorry I'm very busy finishing the TC2 update so it takes me a little longer to reply until it is finished. I replied to your personal message. The messages on the forum here were already answered though...

It should work on Unity5.4, does restarting Unity help?

You can do this, but you have to disable 'Height' output on TC2 and leave it off. As TC2 just generates standard Unity terrain. But as soon as you let TC2 generate the heightmap again it will overwrite manual changes.

Probably the update will fix this.

Nathaniel

33. niclasschult

niclasschult

Hi, I tried TC2 during the last weeks and I am really enjoying the new node based workflow. The update from TC1 definitely was worth it.
    I have some questions, though:
    1. Is it in any way possible to export the current state of a (result) node to an image file? That way I could "bake" the calculated results of TC2 into an image file, tweak it in my image editor of choice and then replace the layer group by a single "raw image" node,
    2. Is there a way to "commit" or "bake" the terrain I created in TC2? As in: Apply everything (ie. the current state) to the terrain, stop procedurally generating and give me a standard Unity terrain as a result. As far as I can see it is not possible to further edit the generated terrain with Unity's internal tools: If I, for example, add some trees to the generated terrain with Unity's brush tools, the trees disappear as soon as I go into play mode or if I do something in the TC2 interface.

34. Szaruga

Szaruga

In case my computer freeze when i using many stamps...

I reinstalled system (Windows 10) and now my PC is not hanging, but ... still too many stamps causes crashes Unity.
    Therefore, I renew my question:
    What is the recommended number of used stamps?

35. recon0303

recon0303

I ran on three other machines and I have all the stamps plus 50-80 on of my own made. No issues, so you may want to make sure you have plenty of Hard drives space, memory etc..

36. Fatalis

Fatalis

I have restarted Unity and tried reimporting TC2, I get the same errors.

Update: I did another reimport and the Kernal errors disappeared, but I am still getting a black terrain and the nodes are not outputting anything. I get this error when trying to place a stamp in a node:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate.Generate (TerrainComposer2.TCUnityTerrain tcTerrain, Boolean instantGenerate, Boolean disableTerrain) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:219)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate.Generate (Boolean instantGenerate) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:207)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_Generate.MyUpdate () (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Generate/TC_Generate.cs:101)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorApplicationBindings.gen.cs:222)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  37. Totchinuko

Totchinuko

I got the same problem here. Using 4k for terrain height resolution fill my 16GB memory in seconds, and result in a crash. 2k is fine. I use around 40 nodes with stamps coming from your pack and some low res mask I made. Terrain is about 8192x8192 with one tile (is it too big?). 2k look fine with RTP tessellation tho.

Another question. I see rtp integration in the roadmap with "auto assigning of global color". I might have miss something in TC2, but is there a way to generate a color map and manually asign it to RTP with current TC2 version?

17/09 edit: after using 2k texture for a while, I decided to retry the 4k. It seems odd, but with a lot more node, I can't reproduce the problem ._.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  38. Fatalis

Fatalis

I've attempted to go from 5.3.3 to 5.3.6. I am getting a similar problem to 5.4. This is with a fresh reimport of TC2. Upon opening the TC2 node editor/Terrain Area and Terraincomposer 2 objects created in the scene I get the error below twice. This error goes away once a terrain is created, but there are no "+" buttons in the node editor to make more nodes.

UnassignedReferenceException: The variable masterTerrain of TC_Settings has not been assigned.
    You probably need to assign the masterTerrain variable of the TC_Settings script in the inspector.
    TerrainComposer2.TC_SelectItemGroup.CalcPreview (Boolean calcValues) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Nodes/TC_SelectItemGroup.cs:86)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_SelectItemGroup.GetItems (Boolean refresh) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Nodes/TC_SelectItemGroup.cs:260)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_SelectItemGroup.Awake () (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Nodes/TC_SelectItemGroup.cs:34)
    UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(Object, Vector3, Quaternion)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_NodeWindow:LoadDefault() (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Editor/TC_NodeWindow.cs:565)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_NodeWindow:OnGUI() (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Editor/TC_NodeWindow.cs:118)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Attached Files:

39. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

Is there somewhere I can see a video or a step by step procedure for setting up objects that will deform/displace the terrain? I want to create buildings, as in the "Manual Object Placement" teaser video. This new node-based interface is quite a challenge. I can see that it will be powerful once it is understood, but it is unclear how to get the desired results with so many options, combinations, and little documentation. Alas, it is beta...

Perhaps those in the know can help Nathaniel out, and start contributing some how-to's? I would if I could!

40. Totchinuko

Totchinuko

41. Tight-Tie

Tight-Tie

Hello

I can't find any code example how to generate a terrain from saved prefab. In TerrainComposer1 it was something like tc_script.CallMethod("generate_begin") but now the concept is changed. In my code I just place the a prefab into a scene and don't know how to start the terrain generation. Could you provide some code example?

Regards
    Ilya

42. eagle555

eagle555

This happens because of Unity prefab deserialization issue. Can read about it here:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/terraincomposer2-documentation/

The ‘+’ button is not visible under the ‘Result’ nodes, so cannot add any Layers. Also weird numbers show in the Inpector when selecting the nodes or TerrainComposer2 related GameObjects.

This happens if ‘Asset Serialization’ is set to ‘Force Text’ in Unity Menu -> Project Settings -> Editor. It is a Unity import bug that can happen on any Asset and TC2 needs to be reimported again (So import it twice). If that does not fix it the ‘Asset Serialization’ can be set to ‘Mixed’ and then reimport TC2 again, then after importing the ‘Asset Serialization’ can be set to ‘Force Text’ again.

Each stamp is 4k (32 mb). 40 * 32 = 1.3 GB. I will try if it is possible to enable compression. But that cannot be the reason, also if you use the same stamp multiple times it will count as 1 stamp. It must be a bug, I will check this out...

At the moment it's not possible to assign colormap manually to RTP, must be by code. I will make this as soon as I release TC2 update.

Yes I will make a video for this, I explain it here:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/terraincomposer2-documentation/#manual-object-placement

It doesn't work correctly on multi terrains, I have this fixed in beta 7 (almost ready).

Nathaniel

43. niclasschult

niclasschult

Sorry for double posting, but I think my message got lost:

Hi, I tried TC2 during the last weeks and I am really enjoying the new node based workflow. The update from TC1 definitely was worth it.
    I have some questions, though:
    1. Is it in any way possible to export the current state of a (result) node to an image file? That way I could "bake" the calculated results of TC2 into an image file, tweak it in my image editor of choice and then replace the layer group by a single "raw image" node (would also be very usful when using lots of stamps),
    2. Is there a way to "commit" or "bake" the terrain I created in TC2? As in: Apply everything (ie. the current state) to the terrain, stop procedurally generating and give me a standard Unity terrain as a result. As far as I can see it is not possible to further edit the generated terrain with Unity's internal tools: If I, for example, add some trees to the generated terrain with Unity's brush tools, the trees disappear as soon as I go into play mode or if I do something in the TC2 interface.

44. IrishDev

IrishDev

Wrong post :)

45. joe_ftg

joe_ftg

Hi,

In the current beta, changing the default terrain size in Global settings caused some issues.
    I fixed this locally in TC_SettingsEditor, line 100, by changing the following Vector2Field to Vector3Field.
    defaultTerrainSize = EditorGUILayout.Vector2Field("Default Terrain Size", defaultTerrainSize);
    Just posting in case it hadn't been raised before.
    Cheers, Joe

46. Fatalis

Fatalis

Thanks Nathaniel! The serialization was indeed the issue.

47. eagle555

eagle555

In the new update this is issue is automatically detected.

Nathaniel

48. joe_ftg

joe_ftg

I also had an issue where object spawning wasn't working if I used a non-2048x2048 terrain. I was using a 100x100m terrain, but I hadn't changed the Object resolution pm from 16. The resulting dimensions for the compute buffers and render textures was 6x6, which seemed to cause the compute results to be corrupt.

I'm not sure if this is because the render textures need to be power of 2 or gfx card driver related, but forcing the resolution to be a power of 2 such as 32x32 seemed to fix this for me. As object resolution pm is an integer, I forced it in code, TC_Area2D.cs, line 91:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. else if (outputId == TC.objectOutput)
    2. {
    3.                 intResolution.x = intResolution.y = 32; resolution2 = intResolution;
    4. }

49. eagle555

eagle555

Hello everyone,

I have good news. I'm ready with the big beta 7 update :). I need more people to test it. Before I'm going to submit it to the Asset Store I want to make sure everything is working correctly, especially with compatibility with beta 6. If you have already made terrain with beta 6, and it's not important if beta 7 will generate exactly the same, then you can help me test this.

Also if you are interested in trying beta 7 in a new project, let me know.

If you want to test it send me an email to Nathaniel_Doldersum@hotmail.com

Beta 7 is a big update with many new features/improvement and fixes. Can see it here:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/roadmap/

The major features of this update is a complete new noise library with many cool noises. Also the 'Image' node has been added. All multi terrain tiles issues should be fixed and everything should work on multi terrain now. It also generates faster...

The only thing what I want to add now before submitting is better example Scenes and being able to directly select presets from a node. I'm going to make presets for the new noises...

Nathaniel

Mark_01, docsavage, IrishDev and 4 others like this.
  50. eagle555

eagle555

Thanks for telling. Power of 2 should be the issue. Here it works with any number. But what I noticed is that resolution can't be too small 6 x 6 and it only works with a minimum. I will check this out now.

Nathaniel