Search Unity

Terrain brushes need a revamp

Discussion in 'World Building' started by eric_delappe, Jan 22, 2019.

1. eric_delappe

eric_delappe

I'm glad to see that Unity has finally dedicated a team for the terrain features, and I'm hoping this means we will see an update to the brush settings, which has been my biggest frustration with the terrain system by far.

Currently there is just a singular brush setting, which applies to all of the terrain tools. It would make much more sense if each tool had their own individual brush settings. When I'm working on terrains I often switch back and forth between raise/lower terrain, smooth terrain, texture painting, etc. And every time I switch I also have to also change the brush size and opacity, which is tedious and interrupts my creative flow.

Also, the opacity setting is just really hard to work with. It feels like the values are increasing logarithmically instead of linearly. When texturing, there is a huge difference between opacity 1 and opacity 10, but little difference between opacity 50 and opacity 100.

The opacity is WAY too strong for height painting. There's rarely any reason to use a value above 10 or so, because anything higher will give you those crazy steep cliffs from just a single brush stroke. Because of this, I usually have to use an opacity of 1 or 2, which doesn't give a whole lot of control.