Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

terrain base map distance

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by creat327, Jul 17, 2019.

1. creat327

creat327

Hi

I used to be able to set the terrain base map distance to the maximum value (or even 1000) and see far enough. Now, even setting it to 2000, my terrain textures popup from crappy quality to excellent all the time. This is very distracting since my game is a flight simulator that you can see for far distances (over 4000).

It doesn't allow me to go over 2000, so i'm in trouble. This didn't use to happen on older version of unity. So the questions are:
    1) Can we set it to something higher? 2000 is not enough.
    2) Can you make the transition more smooth? It goes from crap quality to excellent (a full terrain square just green and then, rocks and all).

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

In what Unity version did this work and in what version did it stop working?

3. creat327

creat327

I haven't used terrain for ages (due to horrible performance on mobile), but definitely somewhere in 2018 it worked. I wrote a script that set terrain.basemapdist=5000 and it seems to work. It's just not possible to set it on the settings.
    In any case it goes from horrible to great, no mipmaps used or anything in between, which I think it's a bad idea.