Search Unity

Terrain and object collider issues

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Ruckrova, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Ruckrova

Ruckrova

Im try to get a plane to land on the terrain but keep falling through , i have tried everything but cant get it to not go through the terrain . I dont understand the colliders clearly ! can anyone give me online help using teamviewer ? I need to work this out thanks.

2. ClaudiaTheDev

ClaudiaTheDev

3. Sunexo

Sunexo

A little bit more information would be helpful in narrowing down your search. Is your plane using a Rigidbody? How are you moving it through the world? What sort of colliders are you using? There's a lot of reasons collision can get a bit wonky.

4. Ruckrova

Ruckrova

thanks Gor-sky I have googled it and tryed to follow what i found with no result .

And thanks Sunexo , I have trouble writing down the problem in detail as it gets messy , eg I imported the terrain from another unity project where an eagle flies around it and does hit the terrain . I modeled the plain in blender and imported it into unity . Im using some else's scripts to control the plane from the eagle project as i can't write code so it could be in the scripting . Really what i'm looking for a a step by step testing process to work out why its not working or someone who can help me fine the issue . I have spent many days trying to work this out and only post as a last resort .

5. Ruckrova

Ruckrova

6. Sunexo

Sunexo

Assuming you have colliders on everything and that there is a rigidbody on the plane I would suggest making a copy of the plane prefab and stripping away all the scripts leaving just colliders and rigidbodies. Create a new scene, drop in the terrain and place your plane a few feet off the ground, point the camera at it and hit play. If the colliders are all working properly the plane will land on the terrain. If it does land on the terrain and seems fine then you should perhaps look into increasing the physics update speed and/or collider penetration depth.

Edit: Posting the script that is handling the plane would also be a huge help. It's pretty much impossible to give you a step by step without a whole lot more information. It's akin to telling a mechanic "my car isn't behaving as it should" and hoping to be able to get a concise list of steps to diagnose it from just that statement.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  7. Ruckrova

Ruckrova

Thanks again sunexo
    Thanks pretty much what I did , just with one variation imported the model onto a new project to test the collider with a flat terrain created in that project and not the imported terrain , seems at the model and the colitis won't lining up . In fact where way of , what I thought was the sphere Collider was in fact the rotation rings and once i worked that out and adjusted it back to the right place around the model it didn't fall through the terrain . Mind you that took me all day so today I will test the imported terrain in much the same way . Also worked with the scripts on the plane so it wasn't the scripting .

8. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

If you slow your decent down, does it help? If you are going way too fast, your physics time step may miss the moment of impact, if you messed with that (or maybe you should) in settings -> physics.

Assuming that you take off from the ground, so you have all your layers and other things working at one point for collision. Good luck!

9. Ruckrova

Ruckrova

thanks AggressiveMastery Its not a speed issue . I think I have worked it out.
    I have a much greater problem now , as monodevelop no longer works with unity , i have installed Atom as a script editor but can't work out how to start a new script from within unity , no option to create a C# script only open c#project ?
    and once I pick that option im lost as what to do next to start a unity C# script .

Should I be using visual studio ? and if so how do I set that up to start a unity script with in unity 5.3.1 ?

10. Sunexo

Sunexo

I've never tried using a different dev app other than the ones provided. Have you tested opening your project in a newer version of unity? If not I would give that a go. I'd back up your project first but if it is able to convert all the assets to work with a newer version with Visual Studio already integrated you should be golden.

11. Ruckrova

Ruckrova

Ok thanks sunexo just a bit reluctant to upgrade to something that's says to "try it" that implies that we will have to pay for it later . Also not sure now to down load 2018 and not 2019 version as they say that is more stable . I hate the upgrade merrygoround but we must play the game to keep up .

12. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

Read the TOS to any app, like say, visual studio, and just make sure you have your plan when you release your game.

If you never release a game, you don't have to pay to use visual studio, you are just learning afterall.

13. Ruckrova

Ruckrova

Ok So I have upgraded to 2018.4 and can write basic scripts again

back to the plane not hitting the ground I tried it out in a diffrent project with flat terrain and got it to land on the ground with out falling through .

but when i try to do the same in the original project and add the box collider to the plane the plane spins uncontrollably ? no I idea why and cant test if it hit anything while its spinning

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  14. Deleted User

Deleted User

So I made a small 250x250x250 map and worked well till I wanted to make it bigger, well I made it bigger and then I would fall under terrain after running so far, I worked on things removed things and looked up so much nothing, then I went under Edit/Project Settings/Physics and messed with World Bounds and Set the Extent x,y,z higher numbers and no more falling under map.
    I hope this helps others.