Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrain 4 Mobile System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SJAM, May 15, 2011.

1. WitchTheWicked2

WitchTheWicked2

yay!

2. TouchSoft

TouchSoft

I hope this hasn't been asked already... but I'm curious.. What are the benefits of using T4M now that unity supports terrains on mobile devices?

Thanks!

3. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

Yeah exactly, I asked this on the previous page. No clear awnser yet, after the release of the next version ( this weekend ), he'd do some tests...

4. SJAM

SJAM

Performances, size of package, but the first thing : you can use your terrain model made with earthsculptor, maya, max, blender ... so delete useless parts of terrain who decrease the performance for nothing, have a lod system on free version of unity... and more.

Like I said before, the conversion of unity terrain is not the major feature of T4M, with it you are free to use any terrain geometrie you want in your scene.

I will make a demo scene to compare the performances :)

5. TouchSoft

TouchSoft

Thank you very much Azert! I'm interested in your package but I'd love to see a side-by-side comparison first.

Thanks!

6. SJAM

SJAM

In fact I think I will make an Demo of T4M BE, with limitations.

7. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

Yeah, that's also a good idea! looking forward to it. Keep up the great work man

8. WitchTheWicked2

WitchTheWicked2

Let me vouch for this product. I have bought this product and I know I only have 5 posts and you can say im the same guy but I am not.
    This is how good the product is.

Before I used unity terrain, my game took a while to load on my android platform, like 5 seconds extra when it fell asleep and i had to wake up the phone in game the game loaded 10 seconds long i had a 2048 by 2048 terrain that i used the terrain tool kit to make. AND YES I agree with you when you are like why do the hell do I need this game when you can make terrain already? I was like that too at first. But let me tell you why.

Not only did my game load from 10 seconds to 4 (i know it may not seem like much but let me get to the main reason why)

So my game needs touch screen input to react in miliseconds. The unity terrain was making lots of draw calls, way more than it should. It was using a lot of overdraw calls. Now I will admit, the game was playable for my dual-core samsung galaxy s2 phone It has 1.2GHZ dual core. So If you expect users to use a phone of that calibur, then you may not want this product. That being said, I have my personal phone, my My Touch 4G phone it is a single core phone with around 1ghz processor. The game didn't load, I waited for minuets and the amount of trees i had on the game was just too much for the phone. Yes i put the trees on the Lowest Level of Detail posssible! However, With this product, i put literally thousands of trees and the game loaded within 30 seconds (including the time it took to load everything else as well).
    Now not everyone has an expensive dual core phone. Furthermore, it did have lag on the dual core phone when I used the unity version.
    This is my fairest review of the product.

If you didn't bother to read my reasoning here is the summary
    Unity Terrain vs T4M
    IN UNITY TERRAIN : All models are drawn unless you set up occlusion culling (hassle)
    IN T4M : Models are not drawn until you approach them (main reason why it makes this run really fast)

IN UNITY TERRAIN : Way too many verticies used to draw mountains and shapes look at this picture
    IN T4M : It makes the mountains and terrain look more like minecraft.

If your game is suffering from preformance where you are going to sacrifice a terrain in order to make it playable, The solution is already made for you. Get Terrain 4 Mobile.

LOOK AT THIS PICTURE : CLICK HERE

9. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

I believe you two are not the same person.. After all Witch, didn't you have a Unhappy camper post on the previous page? Developpers with double accounts don't tend to do that :p

The comparison helped me the most, that was one of my main problems with Unity terrain.. Thanks! I'm looking forward to the demo, so I can check if T4M helps me refine my current workflow (which I think it does)..

Azert2k should be a happy dev. with such enthousiastic customers :D

10. WitchTheWicked2

WitchTheWicked2

ya at first i was unhappy! but now I am happy because stephane is a model developer. Release a product and maintain faithful updates to it

11. SJAM

SJAM

Wow,

Sorry, I don't understand...
    ThomasQ, you think I'm the same person than WitchTheWicked2 ??!!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  12. SJAM

SJAM

Ok lol

Exept, if I'm a Machiavellian Man ;)

But, I'm not...

Good banner WTW2 ! :)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  13. WitchTheWicked2

WitchTheWicked2

haha you made me wikipedia that. Funny lol

14. SJAM

SJAM

;)

So, goodnight at all (with my GMT of course) and good day for others.

15. WitchTheWicked2

WitchTheWicked2

Goodnight to you too! I can't sleep because too excited for T4M Black Edition release on saturday

16. SJAM

SJAM

I will submit the package, but the Unity Team must make a review before put on Asset Store, so I don't know when you can have it exactly.

17. ilya_ca

ilya_ca

Believe me, the performance of Terrain 4 Mobile cannot compare to the performance of the built-in unity terrain. It's maybe 5-10 times faster for my game. The same also goes for standalone games.

Unity terrain has bunch of drawcalls which significantly slows down the game. Terrain 4 Mobile draw is all in a one single drawcall!

I would recommend purchasing this package to anyone working on a mobile game.

18. TouchSoft

TouchSoft

wait.. wait.. wait... did you just say "one single drawcall" ... really!?

19. SJAM

SJAM

I'm glad to present you the ScreenShots of the T4M Black Edition Final release.

Submitted to Asset Store Sunday ! (I need a little time to make the Tutorial and Demo scene)

The converter more simplified

MyT4M : Configure your T4M Object

MyT4M : Manage your material

Painter Menu 2 to 6 textures

Planting/Place :One of the most powerful features

LOD : Another of the most powerful features

BillBoard:Another of the most powerful features

20. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

wow,
    all those features really sound amazing.
    so is t4m be an alternative to the built in terrain engine even on desktops?

lars.

21. ilya_ca

ilya_ca

Looks very promising!
    Waiting towards the release. :)

22. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

Yes, it is.

@ Azert2k: Maybe you should add a description in the opening post explaining what it actually does. I see that more and more people are getting confused :)

23. SJAM

SJAM

Hi all,

So, with T4M, you can't sculpt heightmap(not yet :) ), but it allow you to use any geometries who come of 3D software, you can paint, planting, place your objects on ground. Now I have integrated a lot of features (LOD and Billboard).
    You can also use your own shaders, customize your billboards what you want.

You can use it on all plateform (web, desktop, ios, android, flash, console and NaCi)

Tomorrow, I will send a video tutorial, and presentation of new features. And the Black Edition on AssetStore (of course).

I will give you the link :)

See you later.

Stephane

24. SJAM

SJAM

Hi,

I come with bad new, at this time the AssetStoreTools (To send the T4M BE) is not compatible with the beta 3.5 of Unity. So I can't send the package before the final release of Unity 3.5.

For old customers (before AssetStore), contact me .

Black Edition Tutorial

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  25. hjupter

hjupter

Awesome Email sent

26. SJAM

SJAM

@hjupter
    Thank

I could not take your request before 6h30pm (french hour) tomorrow.

For those who have already received the new version, I waiting your impressions with impatience ;)

Thank.

27. TouchSoft

TouchSoft

I have another question... does T4M support splat maps? That way I can apply textures from other modeling tools using the output splat map.

28. SJAM

SJAM

It's the same technic than for unity terrain (splatmap). You paint one mask texture with rgba color, the shader replace colors of mask by textures .

Best regards

Stephane

29. emannazir

emannazir

from where i can download the demo or trail version?

30. hjupter

hjupter

@Azert2k Looks like there is an error with big terrains :( .. mine is 3000x600x3000

31. SJAM

SJAM

@emannazir
    At Unity 3.5 final release.

@hjupter
    Weird, I will see that tonight. Don't worry I will fix that ;)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  32. emannazir

emannazir

unity 3.5 released i checked that on unity site what about the terrain 4 mobile? from where i can get that? i infect mailed you for terrain 4 mobile black edition.what about that? can you provide me the link from where i can download it free trail?

33. SJAM

SJAM

No, it's a beta version of unity, the tool of Unity to send the new T4M, is not compatible with unity 3.5 beta...so I can't send it now.
    I work on the trial version (not finish yet), but I can't send the files before Unity 3.5 Final and assetstore tool compatible with it.

I will open an store for my products soon, to avoid that.

34. Pulov

Pulov

Hi there,

I've a questions as I cant find the answer at all.

My interest is to convert regular meshes that are build in the CAD app to your terrain model. OK, it is possible with your app (absolutely great).

Then, the doubts come:

1)When you plant/draw the trees with the brush, those trees are unity trees that have "auto" lod or are "regular" meshes that have a lod system built manually using your tools with different lod stages/geometries?

2)Can we convert several meshes to your terrain without compromishisng the performance or it is recomendable to merge all in one. In case it is very recomendable or mandatory, this mesh must be continuous or can have disconnected sections?
    This is because:
    Because I'm building a city, and it is surrounded by mountains that even they're large, they get splited onto big meshes by roads, and also inside of it there are lots of green zones wich can be section of garden with grassed area and flowers here an there where I want to plant trees and have them all under control as with your app seems we can.

Just this.

Regards. Pablo.

35. emannazir

emannazir

then what i do? i need terrain for my mobile game for developing FPS.

and can you help me in this? http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/122234-cartoonist-sky-box

36. emannazir

emannazir

why you cant send now?

37. SJAM

SJAM

@Pulov

Hi,
    Normally, you can use all geometries (CAD, Max, Maya, earthsculptor, Blender, C4D, etc. ...) I do not know how to export the CAD geometries (fbx, obj ...) and how are exported the uvs.

1)When you plant/draw the trees with the brush, those trees are unity trees that have "auto" lod or are "regular" meshes that have a lod system built manually using your tools with different lod stages/geometries?

You need to make 3 geometrie to use the LOD system, the T4M don't simplify your mesh (not yet)

2)Can we convert several meshes to your terrain without compromishisng the performance or it is recomendable to merge all in one. In case it is very recomendable or mandatory, this mesh must be continuous or can have disconnected sections?
    This is because:
    Because I'm building a city, and it is surrounded by mountains that even they're large, they get splited onto big meshes by roads, and also inside of it there are lots of green zones wich can be section of garden with grassed area and flowers here an there where I want to plant trees and have them all under control as with your app seems we can.

When you import your own geometrie, the T4M will kept exactly the same number of vertices, if you want make many T4M objects, you can.

I think you need to talk at Max, maybe he used CAD, but I not sure Max Profile

@Emannazir
    Hi,

If you use Unity 3.4.x you can buy T4M (Terrain4Mobile) on assetstore
    If you use Unity 3.5 Public Beta, you must wait the final release of Unity3.5 or buy the Terrain4Mobile 1.53 on asset store and modify the
    T4MObject script and replace the first line by :

And you can use it.

38. SJAM

SJAM

@hjupter

I found for what, I will fix that tonight or tomorrow (Unity Split in two part the mesh and cause a problem)

39. hjupter

hjupter

@Azert2k Awesome thanks :)

40. SJAM

SJAM

T4M BE 2.1

- Increase number of vertices in convertor of Unity Terrain
    - now support Unity3.5 split geometrie
    - Shader Model 2 : 2 new shaders 2/3 textures with Directional Lightmap
    - all shaders are fixed and now real time shadow is supported

Best Regards

Stephane 'Azert2k'

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  41. TouchSoft

TouchSoft

Does that mean we can now take a huge terrain.. use T4M and break it into smaller mesh for occlusion culling or LOD?

42. SJAM

SJAM

You can create a big terrain with Maya, 3DS or others, and convert many parts you want since first version of T4M ,but T4MBE don't support Terrain LOD yet.

I'm in vacation next week, I will try to propose an real solution for this, with automatic split.

Unity 3.5 cut in many parts all geometries with more than 62k of vertices, and my script didn't like, now it can work with that.

43. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Another great upgrade!
    Now we are near to perfection!
    thanks!
    Max

44. SJAM

SJAM

Thank,

Still some bugs, but I'm in vacation ;)

45. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Have a nice vacation!!

I have some feedback on the interface elements, I would recommend not to deviate too much from the standard unity buttons, because they look out of place in the interface and I think it's good to keep the unity interface consistent.

I hope you don't mind me sharing my thoughts on this matter, my goal is to improve your great tool!
    Here is a screenshot with the items I talk about.

Attached Files:

46. SJAM

SJAM

Thank, I will work on the T4M and make one Demo version

:(
    I love my new banner (at right)

For buttons, I have already change.

I work on update 2.1.5:
    Already implemented today
    Convertor :
    - Now, when you convert Unity Terrain, the T4M extract the blend Map texture and the four splat textures and it apply on the T4M Object.

LOD/Billboard :
    - Improved preformances
    - Best LayerCull function.
    - Better activate/deactivate function

Fix :
    - Hide Paint preview in Play Mode
    - Fixed the normal calculation for follow_normal mode.

I will see that for my banner ...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  47. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

The banner is nice, but I don't see why it has to take up so much screen space, please make an option to hide the banner, I will pay more for this no problem :)

48. SJAM

SJAM

Lol, ok :)

A New Thread is OPEN for the Black Edition and you can find the link on it to download the Demo version HERE (Follow me on it)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  49. emannazir

emannazir

@Azert2k hey unity 3.5 is out now can you provide me now the T4M black edition? i mailed you before and you said that time when 3.5 will be released then you can provide i mailed you today too please send me

50. SJAM

SJAM