Search Unity

Terrain 4 Mobile System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SJAM, May 15, 2011.

1. ModernMosis

ModernMosis

Ok sweet. So regular Textures work with 3.5?

2. SJAM

SJAM

3. Legacy

Legacy

what resolution settings did you use for your terrain in the tutorial because when i convert an existing terrain the mountains are all completely pointy

4. SJAM

SJAM

For 3gs+, you can use 12000 vertices. In tutorial, 8000 I think...

5. Legacy

Legacy

This is not exporting to flash, i attempted to export and i get a message stating there were compiler errors, i tried commenting out the lines in t4m and it messed up my camera culling.

Here are the errors:

Attached Files:

6. SJAM

SJAM

Just edit the t4m camera script and comment or delete the row number 13, its work fine ;)
    I don't know if its a bug of Unity, or simply the flash don't work with layercullingdistance...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  7. ilya_ca

ilya_ca

How can I set up occlusion culling to work with Terrain 4 Mobile? Can I split the terrain into multiple smaller pieces to make it work with occlusion culling?
    Another question: how can I paint the terrain in Maya and than import into T4M?

Thanks.

8. dabrow

dabrow

Hi Stephane 'Azert2k'
    Can you send newest vers of t4m to me. I have problems with T4M editor window no Icons no possibilites to paint on terrain something got corrupted- problems with 1,53 evt send link to download 1.53 again ( I did not used t4m lately) I have t4m in root :Assets/TerrainForMobile/
    dabrow@frisurf.no was one of first your customers
    Regards

9. SJAM

SJAM

@ilyas

After conversion you can split your terrain in maya, and reimport (without change uv) this work fine.

I don't know if maya paint can works with T4M...sorry.

@Dabrow

Yes, I remember you (top 10 first client ;) thank you for your trust). I send you the T4M 1.53 tonight.(not finished the version 2 yet)

10. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

Excellent stuff! is the Unity Easy Roads Terrain Tool compatible? (or any other road tool)

11. SJAM

SJAM

Not, for now sorry. But I think I will make my own solution in a future version

12. Legacy

Legacy

As i said, i commented that line out already and it messed up my camera culling, it would cull certain objects when the camera was probably about 15 meters away from the object. I spent 4 hours yesterday figuring out that it was that line i had commented out and i had to rebuild the entire scene and delete and re import the package :x.

13. ilya_ca

ilya_ca

1. What does the "finalize terrain" button do? Does it make the terrain render faster once I finalize it?
    2. It would be very nice and if you could implement an automatic splitting of the terrain into equal pieces (for occlusion culling purposes) in a future version!

Thank you!

14. SJAM

SJAM

@Efraser2007

Yes, I know but the camera.layercullingdistance don't work on Flash, so you can't use this feature, for your project.

@ilyas.s

1- just compress mask texture and remove T4M script on the object... You can't repaint after that.

2-Good idea !

15. aigam

aigam

Hi!
    I'm very interested in the "impact deformation" :D any info about how it will work?

If I purchase now the T4MS, the black edition will be a free update?

Thks!

16. SJAM

SJAM

The impact deformation will work like BF. You must attach 'impact' script on missile, bullet or other, when it collide with ground the ground will be deform with the impact value of projectile. A decal texture will receive impact texture.

This feature will come after the Black Edition.

Black Edition and impact deformer will be free for all T4M version, so if you buy the T4M now, it's free.

Best regards

Stephane

17. Legacy

Legacy

i commented out all of the code in the awake function and it works fine now lol :)

18. ilya_ca

ilya_ca

When will the new version become available? We cannot wait to start using substances in our terrain!

19. SJAM

SJAM

Ilyas.s

You can use substance with 1.53, but you need to make that manualy. In substance material you have many textures (diffuse, normal, spec)... Just drag and drop the diffuse texture on the texture field of T4M, and normal texture to the bump. Now you can paint with substance ;)

I will try to finish the BE this weekend...

20. SJAM

SJAM

Black Edition Released very soon !

All Features works on FREE and PRO version !

New Features :
    - LOD System + LOD Composer.
    - Full Substance Integration.
    - New Interface (more intuitive).
    - New planting System with mass planting.
    - Integration of billboard.
    - No more for only Mobile with the new shaders (now Mobile, Desktop, WEB, Flash)

Fix :
    - "Painter" More Precise
    - A lot of Errors.
    - Problem to paint on bound area.
    - and more !

First ScreenShots of Black Edition (Planting and Billboard not finished yet) :

New Convertor : (more simplified)

New Shaders : (more faster)

MyT4M (new T4M configurator)

Substance Material

Painter

LOD Manager (Configure your LOD System)

LOD Composer (Create your LOD Object)

New Menu

1 drawcall for all shaders (6 Textures too)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  21. markofjohnson

markofjohnson

Looking forward to trying out this new version. Nice work.

One thing that bothers me with the Unity terrain system is that I can't choose my own texture format for the splat map. I needed a large texture, but did not need high color detail. 4 or even 2 bits per color would be plenty. Maybe even compressed formats would work for my use.

Also, it should be possible to use a tri-planar shader on your terrain mesh like http://u3d.as/content/broken-toy-games/triplanar-texturing/1Ds ?

Cheers
    Mark

22. ilya_ca

ilya_ca

Wow, this looks amazing! :)
    Very stylish UI, good job!

23. SJAM

SJAM

@markofjohnson

With T4M you can use any formats of textures (like Unity Engine, I think) + substance.

If you use this type of shader, T4M becaume useless (no painting functions), exept for convert terrain, plant and Lod.

@Ilyas

Thank you :)

24. vonknut

vonknut

ETA on the new version?
    Really looking forward to getting my hands on it and promoting on the danish game-dev site :)
    -were mostly unity based in DK and many of the companies are doing mobile stuff

25. SJAM

SJAM

@Vonknut
    Thank :)

I will try to finish it very soon, I have some difficult with new planting system... some bugs for now.

26. tripknotix

tripknotix

that looks great, any plans for adding specular?

27. SJAM

SJAM

Hi,

In the Maintex alpha or separate to use with Substance?

I make that, no problem ;)

28. Jerc

Jerc

Impressive work on the terrain tool ! if you need help with handling the substances I'll be glad to answer your questions :)

29. SJAM

SJAM

Thank a lot !

If I need, I say you. (en français peut-être...)

30. markofjohnson

markofjohnson

I was commenting about the file format of the splat map, not the textures. It would be great to be able to choose lower bit resolutions for the splat map. Why? Building a large terrain and using a splat texture to add a road. I don't need lots of levels of blending the road texture with the ground texture. Pretty much all I need is road on or road off. But I do need detail in just where the road is. Using a high bit large splat map takes up a lot of space. Using a low bit per channel file but with high resolution would take less space but visually do what I need. Unity doesn't let me do this (I think). Does T4M allow this?

Thanks
    Mark

31. SJAM

SJAM

Hi, ok I understand...

I just add on the T4M Black Edition the possibility to add your own shaders and use them.

So you will can make what you want with it ;)

32. nandrade

nandrade

hi,

The Black Edition looks amazing can't wait to try it out.

33. SJAM

SJAM

Thank you,

If I continued to add others things, I will never finish... lol

I work hard to release a very good version, without bugs and with a lot of new functionalities.

So, sorry for the late.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  34. hjupter

hjupter

Suggestions:

Paint its kinda annoying when press shift to navigate into the scene
    You should convert unity terrain splat too
    Some way to back up splats before change size (i know i can do this manually)

Great tool so far, looking forward for the BE :)

35. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Hi Azert2k ... i can't wait to see in action the new version!
    I did a massive use of the actual version with very nice result ...but I did recieve some feedback regard a "white flickering" issue (for now on Nvidia cards)...here and here (thanks to Don Gray for videos) .

It's a known issue? (shader: 4TexturesDiffuseSimple)
    If you want i can make a test in your "T4M Black Edition" beta version (if you can release it).
    thanks
    Max

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  36. SJAM

SJAM

Hi Max,
    Beautiful work ! I send you a mail.
    I will investigate on this issue, unfortunately I have an ATI card (mac too).

I send you a new shader by mail...

37. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

38. SJAM

SJAM

So, the T4M Black Edition is soon finished.(less than 1 week)

I will make the list of all new features, saturday.

Max (SjmTech), who use the T4M in his beautifull creations, make the beta test in this moment to offer you a powerfull tools.

It will be only compatible with Unity 3.5+ (beta too)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  39. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

Hi, the system looks great!

I am wondering how it's stacking up against normail Unity terrain in the performance department?

I find that normal unity terrains take extremely long to load on mobile devices. Also the quality settings of the normal terrains are very crude.

Untill now, i've exported the terrains height and splatmaps, modeled the terrain externally, cut it up in pieces for using occlusion culling, and turned down the density / quality for the mesh. This gives me near perfect results. Where testscenes built with unity terrain take 30 seconds to load, the modeled terrain takes 8 seconds to load, has a Far lower polycount, and looks far better then the lowest quality settings for the Unity terrain (OpenGLES 2 on a Galaxy-S 1 phone ),

So i'm mainly looking for a faster workflow. Will T4G be able to deliver those things I described I do manually? So how much better are the start up times, what percentage of decrease in polycount can I expect for decent looking results, and will it cut up the terrain in a configurable grid size, so I can use occlusion culling?

40. SJAM

SJAM

Hi Thomas sorry for late, I work hard on Black Edition.

I will make some test after Black Edition release...

IMPORTANT

With the RC1 of Unity, you can find a problem with T4M 1.53 when you build the scene, so to fix that edit T4MObject script and replace the first line by :

The Black Edition is finished, all feature work fine, I will make some fix and optimisation, and I send the package on asset store this week.

Best Regards

Stephane 'Azert2k'

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  41. blockimperium

blockimperium

Excellent Azert2k! I guess its time to open my wallet and make the purchase since it seems to be shaping up to be the best mobile terrain engine available AND it works with EasyRoads. Wish it has been ready to go when I started writing the book as I would have covered it.

42. SJAM

SJAM

Hi Gregory and Thank !

I don't think that Easy Road works on T4M, it based on Unity Terrain, not on classic mesh. Or maybe since the time, that Raoul (ER creator) has adapted his software, I don't know.

If it not the case, I will make my own road solution for the T4M, in the future.

Best Regards

Stephane

43. WitchTheWicked2

WitchTheWicked2

I love this asset! I think all mobile developers should get it. Without it you cant really have any performance whatsoever!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  44. SJAM

SJAM

Hi and thank for buying,

Wow, I will try to add in Black Edition the capacity to plant in playing mode :)

So, Unity conversion is not the major feature of T4M(still experimental feature) because to optimize the terrain for mobile and keep a good framerate I need to make choices : decrease the unity terrain quality and make 1 block to keep 1 drawcall.

I think in a future version, I will allow to cut parts of terrain, and paint heightmap directly in the T4M.

Best regards

Stephane

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  45. SJAM

SJAM

@WitchTheWicked2

Ok, I just add the possibility to plant and paint in Play Mode on the Black Edition without loose when you go stop the play mode.

I will try to send the Black Edition release saturday on AssetStore...

46. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

I did have the privilege to put my hands on the new (T4M BE beta) version and i can confirm that the new features are awesome... and that Stephane (Azert2k) is a tireless worker ... i don't have yet finished to ask a feature that He make this feature real.
    He made a must have tool for each one that whant put his landscapes (and not only) on another level.

47. WitchTheWicked2

WitchTheWicked2

OMG! I am very happy now, I am so happy i am going to edit my post, because you work really hard and I am really happy thank you, You are like angel!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  48. SJAM

SJAM

Thank WitchTheWicked2,

Now, I will make the tutorial of the newer version ( Black Edition) and demo scenes to present you all new features.

So, it coming out soon expected !

49. Unislash

Unislash

Really looking forward to this weekend when it goes live!! Congrats :-D

Unislash

50. SJAM

SJAM

Hi, and Thank you :)