Search Unity

Terrain 4 Mobile System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SJAM, May 15, 2011.

1. sanpats

sanpats

I see.

2. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Could T4M be modified somehow to allow the steep incline textures to be projected triplanarly? To fix the distortion?

It'd be a great feature for use on desktop (not mobile), just for the capability of having non-distorted cliff textures on terrains.

3. ilya_ca

ilya_ca

Hello,

I have a few questions:

1. Is Terrain 4 Mobile System still relevant with the introduction of terrain system into Unity iPhone? What are the advantages?

2. How do I import/export already existing terrains into "Terrain 4 Mobile System"?

3. How's the performance compared to built-in unity terrain system? The link in the description does nothing.

4. What's the optimal terrain/heightmap size?

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think it's safe to say it's faster than the unity version.

5. SJAM

SJAM

Hello,

The performance of T4M is better than Unityterrain for this reasons :
    - The shaders are optimised for mobile
    - the terrain have only 1 drawcall (unity terrain have a variable drawcall with more than 20 drawcalls with far distance view camera)

Now, I rewrite the T4M for the next update.

- new interface
    - best shaders
    - new features (Lod system and billboard)
    - and a lot of fix

The old performance document wasn't representative of the 1.5 version, but 1.4, the 1.5 are best)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  6. online|offworld

online|offworld

Hey there Azert2k,

Sounds pretty awesome... can you show some screenshots of your billboards in action?

7. SJAM

SJAM

Hello, I don't finish this part, and I didn't made the performance test. I think I will this weekend or other.

I keep you aware soon

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  8. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

9. SJAM

SJAM

Hello,

Yes, you can, but you need to adapt the shader (principaly name of Layers). Unfortunately, it seems that this shader don't work on mobile Shader model 2.

10. xanthoran

xanthoran

Hey there, I'm using T4M and I dig it so far. However, there seems to be a big bug!

Everything appears nicely when I make terrains, and paint them using your provided textures. However, when I save my project and quit, it breaks when I come back into Unity. Specifically, all the shaders do not work anymore. It gives me this error:

Material doesn't have a texture property '_MainTex'
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

I made a terrain with Unity's built in terrain editor, re-made it with T4M, and then am using the 4TexturesDiffuseFast shader. Because the shader is broken, I see my terrain mesh but it has no textures (so it's all pink or white).

Any idea why this might be the case?

11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I may have real use for something like this soon (our next project) so I have a couple of questions please:

1. is the texture blend shader working properly with beast, and does it use RGBA (for mobile) ?
    2. can that shader be used for other things as well, like buildings and my own models (so I can blend terrain up the side of a building) ?

3. finally, the most important question for me:

I don't want to actually have unity terrain, but the generated mesh from your project. More importantly, is a feature request. I would like to add unity trigger zones which either: prevent geometry being created there, or enable geometry being created in the trigger.

This means, we can create a folder in hierarchy, full of these triggers, or maybe add them to your terrain object and click Optimise. What this does, is cull out the terrain so only the triangles we want are created. This would be a pre process pass, not real time.

The reason for this is I'd like to use the terrain system for a race track, and I'd love to be able to really trim down the number of verts and triangles the terrain uses.

Even better... REALLY cool... would be if we could paint triangles on or off. That would be so cool. Then click Optimise or Calculate button, and it would redo the terrain only keeping the bits we want.

This control over it, if you can do it, will really push Terrain-4-Mobile ahead of anything else. To be honest it will also enable the use of making holes for proper cave systems, or even tunnels. The uses are clearly endless in my view, and it isn't really that hard to do:

You would if using the paint method, just keep a clone of the mesh in unity editor, and just copy the points over that are marked. Or if using triggers (not my preferred way but I'll settle for it) you could just check what verts lie inside triggers during mesh generation.

It doesn't have to be pretty (ie triangles stick out at edges) but it will probably halve, even quarter the size of the mesh that's rendered on the device. That is big speed gains when you've a lot of polys to throw around. Probably take a 40k terrain down to 2k for my driving game.

What do you think?

I don't know what kind of savings there would be but it's just a suggestion.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  12. SJAM

SJAM

Hello,

So, to meet both ;)

I finished soon the version 2 of T4M (Black Edition)

I rewrited 90% of code to fix a lot of bug, and perform a better tools.

The T4M Black Edition (part already finished) :

New Features :
    - LOD System + LOD Composer.
    - Full Substance Integration.
    - New Interface (more intuitive).
    - No more for only Mobile with the new shaders (For PC and WEB) Still 4 mix textures.

Fix :
    - A lot of Errors.
    - Problem to paint on bound area.
    - and more !

Features to finish before the final release :

- New planting System with mass planting.
    - Integration of billboard.
    - Performance Test.

So, I invite you to wait the Black Edition (just the time I finish it)
    And after, I will see each ideas to adding on the T4M.

Best Regards

Stephane 'Azert2k'

13. artzfx

artzfx

Black Edition? those new features look great!

14. SJAM

SJAM

Thank
    Black Edition : just the name of the second version :)

15. artzfx

artzfx

Looking forward to it :)

16. SJAM

SJAM

@Hippo

1. is the texture blend shader working properly with beast, and does it use RGBA (for mobile) ?
    Yes, the lightmap work fine and you can compress the mask texture on rgba for mobile.

2. can that shader be used for other things as well, like buildings and my own models (so I can blend terrain up the side of a building) ?
    Yes you can use the shader on other mesh to mix texture but the paint tool can have some problem with uvmap.

3. finally, the most important question for me:

I don't want to actually have unity terrain, but the generated mesh from your project. More importantly, is a feature request. I would like to add unity trigger zones which either: prevent geometry being created there, or enable geometry being created in the trigger.

Good idea, i will see that after update 2.

17. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Hi Azert2k, i can't wait to see the new version and the full support for destop and web developement!
    Max

18. Dreamora

Dreamora

same here :)

19. SJAM

SJAM

Thank very much, I keep you aware for the final release ;)

20. chris64

chris64

I'm sure this was covered in these pages but I didn't see it. I'm working on an Iphone application (off road style) but terrains with any reasonable detail slow my app down way too much (<12fps). Will this solve my problem? Am I correct that there is no more free trial version? I couldn't find one. Thanks

21. elias_t

elias_t

Hi Azert2k.

The problem I had with tegra2 devices I almost have the same now in Galaxy S2 with the mali400 chip.

Do you have a list on which devices the shader works properly?

On the other hand I noticed that when I uv map a mesh not going from 0-1 but the tiling is done trough uv mapping and not texture tiling
    the problematic devices are ok.

So I ask. Could you make a variation of the shader in which the splatamp uses its own uv channel stretching from 0-1 and the mesh has its own uv mapping.

22. SJAM

SJAM

Hi,

Sorry I don't understand... I don't have any problem on my Tegra2 tablet (transformer)

Can you test this shader please, It's the same shader than Unity Terrain, but compatible for T4M (don't worry it's very slow, but I need to know if you have the same problem) :

Code (csharp):
    2. Shader "Test/4Textures" {
    3. Properties {
    4.     _Color ("Main Color", Color) = (1,1,1,1)
    5.     _Layer1 ("Layer1 (RGB)", 2D) = "white" {}
    6.     _Layer2 ("Layer2 (RGB)", 2D) = "white" {}
    7.     _Layer3 ("Layer3 (RGB)", 2D) = "white" {}
    8.     _Layer4 ("Layer4 (RGB)", 2D) = "white" {}
    9.     _MainTex ("Mask (RGB)", 2D) = "white" {}
    10. }
    11. SubShader {
    12.     Tags {
    13.         "SplatCount" = "4"
    14.         "Queue" = "Geometry-100"
    15.         "RenderType" = "Opaque"
    16.     }
    17. CGPROGRAM
    18. #pragma surface surf Lambert
    22. struct Input {
    23.         float2 uv_MainTex : TEXCOORD0;
    24.     float2 uv_Layer1: TEXCOORD1;
    25.     float2 uv_Layer2 : TEXCOORD2;
    26.     float2 uv_Layer3 : TEXCOORD3;
    27.     float2 uv_Layer4 : TEXCOORD4;
    30. };
    31. sampler2D _MainTex;
    32. sampler2D _Layer1, _Layer2, _Layer3,_Layer4;
    33. fixed3 _Color;
    35. void surf (Input IN, inout SurfaceOutput o) {
    37.     fixed4 Mask = tex2D (_MainTex, IN.uv_MainTex);
    38.     fixed3 lay;
    40.     lay  = Mask.r* tex2D (_Layer1, IN.uv_Layer1).rgb;
    41.     lay += Mask.g * tex2D (_Layer2, IN.uv_Layer2).rgb;
    42.     lay += Mask.b * tex2D (_Layer3, IN.uv_Layer3).rgb;
    43.     lay += Mask.a *tex2D (_Layer4, IN.uv_Layer4).rgb;
    44.     o.Albedo = lay* _Color.rgb;
    45.     o.Alpha = 0.0;
    46. }
    47. ENDCG
    48. }
    50. }

@Chris64

T4M advantage is keep one drawcall for the same terrain to boost the performance, and have optimised shaders. The big advantage of T4M, it's allow to make a terrain with Earthsculptor (who export a beautifull mesh and very optimised terrain) and use the T4M to paint and planting.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

If we buy now do we get black edition in the price, or is it separate purchase?

Also a little confused how it all works. Is this how it works?

1. you make unity terrain and you use 4 splatmaps

2. terrain 4 mobile will convert it to a mesh with resolution I specify, and it will convert the splatmaps to vertex colour for the shader to texture blend 4 textures?

Or is it a longer process, that I have to repaint the texture each time on the converted mesh every time I go back to make a change? I am very interested in purchasing, I have not bought it yet, as we were making the music app before :)

24. SJAM

SJAM

Hello,

The Black Edition is the futur update, not a separate purchase.

So, for conversion :

Make only the terrain and convert it, to paint with T4M, the convertor don't keep the UnityTerrain mask and splat textures.

But for a best terrain quality, I preconize to make a terrain with a software like EarthSculptor (because it export a very simplified mesh with best quality) and unfold it, before import the new terrain on Unity. The result is beautifull.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  25. elias_t

elias_t

Attached Files:

26. SJAM

SJAM

Hi Elias,

Yes, I understand the problem, but not why...and especially with the Lagoon scene (which works perfectly on my tablet Asus Transformer Tegra2)

Sorry for old screenshot, but I sold my tablet there is one month ago because I had a bad result on geometric superposition between 2 meshes on Unity and Android 3.1 with this tablet on all my projects, same without T4M.(like the bad effect on waterfall) but not a problem of filtring.

Do you have the same result with the shader above ?

It's very important you try this shader...and make me a return

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  27. elias_t

elias_t

Azert I have the same issues with the shader you posted above.

My research on these issues showed me that if if uv map my terrain mesh in a modelling program so uv's stretch for example in a range 0-40, the filtering issues are gonne.

But if I tile the textures in t4m they appear.

So I ask again.

Do you think it could be possible to modify a shader where the uv map of the terrain can be different from then uv map of the splatmap?

Thank you.

28. chris64

chris64

I just bought it to give it a try (no more free version that I could find) and I have a couple questions. What are the minimal things I need to import to gain the Terrain for Mobile menu option (importing everything seems excessive). Also, now that I added it I can't build anymore to my Iphone. Test compiles work but also generate an error that I couldn't find anything about "MissingReferenceException: the variable m_Target of 'CameraEditor' doesn't exist anymore." I don't have a CameraEditor nor a variable called m_Target. Any thoughts? At this point I've just been trying to roll things back to the point where I can compile error free again.

29. ilya_ca

ilya_ca

Is it possible to use allegorithmic substances to paint the terrain? Thanks.

30. SJAM

SJAM

Hi,
    @elias
    hmm, so you must have the same issue with UnityTerrain...
    It's a very good idea ! You can't make this with conversion tools of T4M now, and may be bad for paint module. Maybe with 2uv one for Mask texture and one other for the splat textures... I afraid that it's problematic for the Lightmap. I will see that.

@ilya.s
    Yes the next version (BlackEdition), I have fully integrate the allegorithmic substances.

@Chris64
    Sorry but, I don't have a "CameraEditor" script in the T4M package (So, not a bad remplacement)... I don't think its because you have imported the T4M. Look your CameraEditor script for that, maybe a variable problem when you switch the prlateform to iOs project.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  31. SJAM

SJAM

@elias

It's a very good idea !

Can you Try the shader that I send you by email (]a modification of splat uv coordonate) and say me if you have the same issue, please.

If it work, I will integrate this solution on T4M BlackEdition

32. elias_t

elias_t

Hi Azert.

Unfortunately the shader you sent in my mail didn't work either.

But I noticed after some tests that on the shader 4layersdiffusefastest, the layers 1 and 3 are filtered and
    on the shader 4textures the layers 2 and 4 are filtered.

Strange. I will make some more tests and get back at you.
    These tests were made on the galaxy s2 (mali400 gpu), tomorrow I will make some tests on the tegra2.

33. SJAM

SJAM

Ok, I found the problem but I don't know how fix this... I explain :

Yesterday, I read all compiled shader (UnityTerrain and T4M) and they are the same problem... on the gles part I have 2 textures coordonates on lowp (same thing with UnityTerrain shader). I compare with my new shader Unlit (55 fps in HD on iPhone4), it has keep all coordonate to high and I can increase tile the splat texture a lot more...

I think I must rewrite all shaders in shader compiled langage, to fix this, if I can... but when I try to change lowp to high, I had a beautifull pink mesh.

I will find a way. The PC/MAC/WEB devices haven't this issue.

For good news :
    - I managed to mix 6 textures for desktop and web device in one drawcall.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  34. elias_t

elias_t

I hope you could solve this issue.
    It would make my life a lot easier.

Otherwise keep up the good work. The Black edition seems promising.

If you could add a grass and a tree system similar to unity's you would make a lot of people happy.

35. SJAM

SJAM

Yes, it's the idea. ;)

Other good new :
    I have try my LOD system + 4 textures shader + lightmap + 1346 trees on the scene : ~40 fps on iPhone4 in HD, and more than 50fps on a iPod 3g.

36. myprabath01

myprabath01

from Where i can download the demo ??? i can not find it

37. SJAM

SJAM

I don't have finished yet the T4M BE. I will make a demo for appstore after the release.

38. myprabath01

myprabath01

Ok Then. Can we know the rough release date. we interested about new version. :)

39. SJAM

SJAM

2 or 3 weeks, I think... because I have a job the week and I work on the T4M only the evening and weekend.

40. Unislash

Unislash

Great job Azert2k!

I have taken a break from developing for the last few months, but you certainly haven't! Really looking forward to the Black Edition update!

Also, if you want any help with the english in the newest update, I'd be more than happy to help.

Cheers,
    Unislash

41. SJAM

SJAM

Thank a lot, Unislash,

"Also, if you want any help with the english in the newest update"
    lol, is it so bad (my english)? ;)

it's nice from your part, I keep you aware very soon.

I have taken a break few months too, it feels good to rest.
    I was very busy with my another job...

I take advantage of this post to announce that the T4M Black Edition will be compatible with the Flash Player...I was trying on Unity 3.5 preview

See you soon with the Black Edition !

HAPPY HOLIDAYS at all !!

Best Regards

Stephane 'Azert2k'

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  42. Unislash

Unislash

"Also, if you want any help with the english in the newest update"
    lol, is it so bad (my english)?

Haha, how should i put this... It's much better than some of my friends from germany who I used to "translate" for :). And I say "translate" because I just touched up their english into something that was easy to read. I won't sugar coat it though--while your english is understandable, there's quite a few things that don't quite make sense. I would be much, much worse if you had me speak french or spanish though!

So yea, it's not hard for me to do and I think it will really help T4M's appeal. Maybe when the Black Edition rolls out I'll just take some screenshots and point out the odd bits for you to change when/if you like :)

As always, great job! And happy holidays!

Cheers,
    Unislash

43. ilya_ca

ilya_ca

@Azert2k

Hi, we're all waiting for the new edition of T4M. :)

A few questions:
    1. Can I design the terrain in some third-party software, like Maya and than import it into T4M? If I optimize the mesh by having less triangles on the flat surface and more on hills, is it still going to work with T4M?

2. I have a pretty small terrain of 10000 triangles with the 4 textures shader applied to it. Whenever I deactivate the terrain, my FPS on iPhone 4 rises up to 60FPS. But whenever I activate the terrain, the FPS drops down to 20-25. Is there supposed to be such a huge performance drop? I did a test and iPhone 4 handled fine a total of 150k-200k triangles, and I don't think that an additional 10k triangles should make any difference. Where such a huge performance drop is coming from? What can I do to optimize it?

44. SJAM

SJAM

Thank, the update will come very soon (All features are finished, except Plant module)

An other module will come after update : impact deformation.

1- Yes, of course I have created the T4M more for this, than Unityterrain conversion.
    2- for better performance, you must use light with "not important " parameter (using vertex light) or lightmap, the tiling value must not be very high (for exemple, make a tiled texture before use it on T4M).

Best Regards

Stephane 'Azert2k'

45. ilya_ca

ilya_ca

1. Once I replaced the directional light with point light, the whole terrain turned dark-gray. What's the problem? I still don't have any textures applied to it, however it was white before changing the light source.
    2. Another question - when I open the T4M editor, I get this message: "Change GLES 2 Shader --> GLES 1.1 Shader". Where is this coming from and how do I change the shader?
    3. Once I click on the third tab, I get an exception:
    IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    T4M.InitBrush () (at Assets/Imported Assets/TerrainForMobile/Editor/T4M.js:665)
    T4M.PaintInit () (at Assets/Imported Assets/TerrainForMobile/Editor/T4M.js:490)
    T4M.OnGUI () (at Assets/Imported Assets/TerrainForMobile/Editor/T4M.js:285)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)

4. All of the icons in the tool's tabs are gone:

Thanks and happy new year!

46. hjupter

hjupter

T4M Black Edition is an uptdate of T4M or its like another product on appstore?... i just want to buy T4M and need to be sure ill get the black edition xD

47. SJAM

SJAM

Hi,

@ilya.s

1- For performance reasons, the fastest and fast shader don't received spot light or point light, use the other for this. This problem no more exist in T4M Black Edition.

2- Just to convert you T4M OpenGLES 2 to T4M OpenGLES 1.1 .

3 4 - Ok, looking at your screenshot, I notice that the menu icons are missing, it means that you have moving the T4M folder... this folder MUST stay in Asset root. All error message come of this.
    NOT : Assets/Imported Assets/TerrainForMobile/
    BUT : Assets/TerrainForMobile/

See you soon ;)

@hjupter

Black Edition is a free update for T4M 1.x, not an other product.

Happy New Year at all !

Stephane 'Azert2k'

48. ilya_ca

ilya_ca

Thanks, this answered my questions with the interface! :)

1. Still, I couldn't figure out how to change the shader "T4M OpenGLES 2 to T4M OpenGLES 1.1". Could you please give more elaborate step-by-step instructions?
    2. And also, why do I need to change the shader? Does it increase the performance if I use OpenGLES 1.1 instead of OpenGLES 2?
    3. What's the optimal terrain size/settings when targeting iPhone 4?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  49. ModernMosis

ModernMosis

will this work for Unity Flash 3.5 Beta? We are trying to figure out a way to use a terrain in unity flash without having to actually model the whole thing. We would need this buy the 4th.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  50. SJAM

SJAM

@ilya.s

1. Still, I couldn't figure out how to change the shader "T4M OpenGLES 2 to T4M OpenGLES 1.1". Could you please
    give more elaborate step-by-step instructions?
    Just select your T4M terrain and apply (Caution : you must repaint after that)

2. And also, why do I need to change the shader? Does it increase the performance if I use OpenGLES 1.1 instead
    of OpenGLES 2?
    Yes, but in OpenGLES 1.1, you can paint with only 2 textures.

3. What's the optimal terrain size/settings when targeting iPhone 4?
    12k is perfect, to keep a good performance.

@ModernMosis
    The T4M 1.53 is already compatible with Flash.

But 4 textures bump don't work on U3.5