Search Unity

Terrain 4 Mobile System

Discussion in 'Android' started by SJAM, Mar 28, 2011.

1. zyndro

zyndro

Hello Azert2k

i just bought Terrain 4 Mobile, it's an awsome application, however i have some questions..

i havent done very much, i just downloaded before comming to work, but here's what i did.

i have a scene with all the stuff, then i tried to add a terrain wich worked ok, but when i tried to texture the terrain from the Toolkit, the textures were added to my skydome! and i was like uh? tried again, same thing.. so i disabled the skydome, then the textures were added to one of my buildings and my terrain keep light gray.. very rare.. so, im thinking that terrain must be the first thing you create in your scene before adding more meshes.. do you know any bug like this?

im using Unity 3.3 Pro + Snow Leopard 10.6 on a Mac Mini with nvidia chipset..

but, so far it's a FANTASTIC tool, everything i could possible need it's just right there, no complains at all, fully recommended!
    =)

ohh by the way.. there's a way to add more trees? i saw just 1 palm, but where can i get more, or do i have to create them/export them from blender?

Thanks in advance!

2. SJAM

SJAM

Hello Zyndro and thank.

I'm outside now, I will give you all responses tomorow ;)

3. zyndro

zyndro

all right no problem, that will give me some time, today as soon as i get home ill keep trying to reproduce the issue and see what's going on, so i can give you more details about it.

Thanks!

4. Lucker23

Lucker23

Pleas, is possible modifying T4M - height at runtime? I have script for modifying Unity terrain heigh, but this script using Unity Terrain instance ( Terrain terr = Terrain.activeTerrain; ). Thanks to much.

5. SJAM

SJAM

script for the classic terrain don't work on T4M terrain, I will make an update soon to modify terrain directly with T4M Menu.

6. Lucker23

Lucker23

What I want is to be able to modify height of individual terrain vertexes - in real time - during game-play.

I know that it's possible if I use standard Unity terrain. But my question is - can I do it with T4M and if yes, then how?

BTW: we have purchased T4M just few hours ago :)

7. SJAM

SJAM

Hello and thank for buying,

The T4M is a single geometrie, not terrain like Unity Terrain. So you can modify height of the T4M terrain with a script (or procedural deformer script), but not with a script for Unity Terrain.

With hope that I have correctly understand the question.

8. Lucker23

Lucker23

Thank you. Now terrain height is changing at the game... But i have a problem with changing collision mesh. :|I must every frame create new instance( no FPS ) or this( no FPS ):

GetComponent<MeshCollider>().sharedMesh = null;
    GetComponent<MeshCollider>().sharedMesh = meshFilter.mesh;

My opinion: Collisions for Unity terrain have another access than the standard mesh collision's detection.

9. SJAM

SJAM

"Collisions for Unity terrain have another access than the standard mesh collision's detection"

Yes, I think too. But I think There is a way to fix this, maybe in Physics class or Collider class. I need this too, for an other thing.

If I find the way, I keep you aware. ;)

10. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

i did bought your "Terrain 4 Mobile" and it results a great Unity application.
    I did try to use it for "web players" and "pc application" (not fo mobile platforms) and it works very well.
    I think that the application name (....Mobile system) not make your tool rightly interesting to some Unity developers that publish on web and standalone applications(wrongly).
    I found in it the only good method to paint on custom mesh inside Unity and plant tree and grass easly.
    little request:
    It would be very usefull if you can add a configuration option to remove all mobile limitations (in quality) for an easy desktop use. Thanks!
    Regards
    Max

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  11. SJAM

SJAM

Hello Max,

For Pc/Mac and Web

I can :
    - increase detail of T4M terrain.
    - make new shaders with shadow (4 diffuse + 4 bump or bump specular and other high quality shaders)

12. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Hi Azert2k ,
    It could be very nice!

some questions:
    - have you planned to make a brush planting system (not only one click position) for easy planting objects on big areas?
    - it could be usefull to have a cursor preview for planting (like painting).
    Thanks!

Max

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  13. SJAM

SJAM

I can, I will try to make that, if have the time ;)

14. Unislash

Unislash

Hey Azert2k,

I just wanted to hop in to give you some feedback (and tell you that you've made a very good system!)

Some suggestions:
    -When placing trees/objects (planting), should we not keep the prefab connection so that we can modify all of the objects after we've placed them? I understand that the addition of the mesh collider differentiates the placed objects from the prefab... but any workaround would be awesome.
    -Support for billboards (for grass and stuff). This is pretty important for a terrain to look good.
    -When planting, the size variation doesn't seem to have too much of an effect, even when I have it all the way to 50.
    -Also, the size setting seems to be based off of the original import mesh size and bypasses Unity's mesh import scale setting. This results in drastic changes in mesh size when changing between assets in your objects list
    -Give us the ability to add more objects to add to our list please :)
    -And lastly, I know this is perhaps a bigger issue, but the ability to take our textures and randomize the rotation on their tiling would be a big deal. It would make our terrain base much less repetitive as we can only use < 4 textures.

Some questions:
    -Trying to get the lightmapping to work, following your instructions on this thread... is it possible to do it with the 4 shader, no bump?

Thanks for all of the work you've put in! Great job so far

Cheers,
    Unislash

15. SJAM

SJAM

Hello and thank,

Sorry for the late, but I don't recieved email notification...

I can't make some automatic features like billboards support, because mobile performance reasons.

But I will keep mind all this you said for next update, after Unity 3.4 update.

For planting, the connection with prefab works fine on 1.51 version.

My Best

Stephane

16. Unislash

Unislash

Heya Azert2k :)

Thanks for your speedy response (even if you think it's late, i think it's fast!)

I've been playing around a bit more and have found that the connection to the prefab doesn't work if you have the "create collider" checkbox on. If you do, it adds a mesh collider and consequently breaks the prefab connection.

And a few more suggestions/bugs that quickly cropped up
    -Where can I find the version number of T4M? Perhaps put it somewhere in the T4M window (pardon me if it turns out that I'm actually running an old version and everything's fixed! :p )
    -When painting the terrain, I can't paint textures on the very edges of the terrain. If the brush radius goes off the terrain, the brush stops painting.
    -I believe there's a typo in one of your shaders. In "Shadow Material" that makes the TerrainForMobile/FakeShadow4Dynamic should look like
    Code (csharp):
    1. SetTexture [_MaskTex] {
    2.   combine previous , previous - texture
    3.   Matrix [_Projector]
    4. }
    Instead of ... "combine previous , previous * texture"

As for billboards support, how much of a performance hit would we be getting? You mentioned earlier that a feature would probably be ok on a iPhone 3GS which makes me wonder which generation of mobiles you're optimizing for. Do you think billboards would be an issue for the newer-ish phones like the iPhone 4 and 1GHz+ Android phones?

Also, following up on lightmapping with T4M and the 4 Texture Shader option, it's indeed supported. Just follow Azert2k's instructions on 3 tex + bump earlier in this thread :).

Thanks for all the work Azert2k! I hope my feedback is helpful :)

Cheers,
    Unislash

17. SJAM

SJAM

Hello,

So, you right, we losing prefab with collider, it's normal because I affect the collider after instantiate the prefab, the only way to fix this, is to apply the collider before instantiate... So in import fbx inspector apply the collider on your mesh, and uncheck the collider box in T4M menu.

For land border, create full opacity brush

Best Regards

Stephane

18. pneill

pneill

Has anyone compared the Terrain 4 Mobile system with Unity's built in terrain system now that it supports mobile? Unity discourages the use of terrain on pre-ipad2 devices. Is there any similar limitation for Terrain 4 Mobile?

19. SJAM

SJAM

Hello,

I did not compare the two, have no time for now.

But T4M, support 3GS, iPhone4, iPad and iPad2.

Since build last version, 1.53 of T4M, on Lagoon scene without Grass I have 27-30 fps in HD on iPhone4 with 4TexturesShaders (15fps in HD before update). Terrain have 1 drawcall only.

20. neken

neken

Hi,

I just bought T4M and when i click CMD +T or form Windows -> Terrain 4 Mobile System i have window without any icons, images itp. When i convert Unity Terrain for T4M object and want to textured i have blank T4M window :)

could you help me pls ?:)

Sorry for my english.

Ps. Have spam of that log in Console:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    T4M.InitBrush () (at Assets/Assets/TerrainForMobile/Editor/T4M.js:665)
    T4M.PaintInit () (at Assets/Assets/TerrainForMobile/Editor/T4M.js:490)
    T4M.PaintingMenu () (at Assets/Assets/TerrainForMobile/Editor/T4M.js:504)
    T4M.OnGUI () (at Assets/Assets/TerrainForMobile/Editor/T4M.js:346)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  21. SJAM

SJAM

Hello and thank for buying,

The T4M folder must staying on root, not in other folder. Drag it on the root hierarchy and enjoy ;)

For personal contact : azert2k@gmail.com

22. Adrenaline-Crew

Adrenaline-Crew

Unity 3.4 has terrain support....is the plugin still worth it?

23. SJAM

SJAM

Try to build a scene with classic Unity Terrain + objects + script, etc and try it on 3gs, iphone4 and iPad, and compare with the same scene with T4M, you will understand why the T4M is better than unity terrain on these devices

Unity classic terrain is really heavy for pre-ipad2... works but heavy

24. gharaibeh

gharaibeh

Yes the Terrain is working well on the iPad 2 but is toooooo heavy since its working on iPad1 with 3 FPS !!!!!

25. blueflame

blueflame

Hi.
    Are you planning to have terrain be combined from multiple parts? Now it seems to be only one model drawn all the time. If it would constructed from multiple parts. It could be used better with occlusion culling.

26. SJAM

SJAM

Yes, for that, you must cut the mesh after conversion with your favorite 3D editor.

Best Regards

Stephane

27. Adrenaline-Crew

Adrenaline-Crew

i was trying again, but seems when i make build, it shows up gray when i hit play.

28. SJAM

SJAM

Hello

Have you the last update? Can you send the screenshots on my mail please : azert2k@gmail.com.

i will help you :)

29. neken

neken

Hello

Thank you for solve my last problem :)

Next question what i have and can't found is:

When i create terrain with unity and change shape like rectangle( no square) and process with T4M i got mirroring rectangle :)

I attached screens (First is before, second after T4M Process)

Attached Files:

30. SJAM

SJAM

For now, the rectangle terrain don't work, You must have a
    square terrain. I will try to fix that when my internet connection will ready. I have just my phone now :(

Best Regards

Stephane

31. NajGeetsrev

NajGeetsrev

Hello,

Yesterday I purchaded Terrain4Mobile. I imported it into my project, but Terrain4Mobile does not show up in mij editor menu. Am i doing something wrong?

Greatings,

Jan Versteeg

32. SJAM

SJAM

Hello,

You can find it in Window menu, or ctrl+t /cmd+t

Best regards

Azert2k

33. NajGeetsrev

NajGeetsrev

34. jfabris

jfabris

Does this mean that normal unity terrain does not work for Mobile devices?

35. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

normal unity terrain works, its just too slow for mainstream at the moment. You need a top-level device.

36. Arkideit

Arkideit

Hello Azert2k.
    I'm realy glad that you have done this terrain, but i have a few problems.
    First problem with shader GLES 2.0.
    When i convert Unity's terrain into T4MS (GLES 2) it receives light only from one direction light.
    I have to work with a big number of lights and that problem is dissapoint me.
    From another hand, GLES 1.1 doesn't have this problem but it supports only two textures per terrain.

Second problem is a strobing with converted terrain.
    Look like after converting T4MS creates two terrains and they've got z-fighting.
    Can you help me with this problems?
    Cheers =)

37. SJAM

SJAM

Hello Arkideit,

I work actualy on version 2 of T4M, with a lot of fixing like a best lightmap solution. (different shader before/after build)

At the base, it's not a problem, it's a limitation for perfomance issues.

For cheat before the update :

- First put Unity Editor Quality to Fantastic (to see correctly your lights)
    - Change T4M shader to 4TexturesDiffuseSimple or 3TexturesDiffuseSimple or 2TexturesDiffuseSimple to make your Lightmap (this shader received all light).
    - After th e lightmap is done, change again the shader by the Fast or fasted shader (all light will be keept).

For your second problem :

- This issue is fixed since 1.4 update or I don't understand your problem :confused:

Can you show me with sreenshots, with T4M window please.

Keep me informed

Best Regards

Azert2k

38. Arkideit

Arkideit

Hello again.
    So, this is it.
    First screenshot is a strobing. Strobing is appearing when i made 4 texture shader (GLE 2.0)
    3 T.S and 2 T.S (2.0) haven't this problem
    Second screenshot is lightning. Well lower screen is what i want, but it's only in 1.1 shader.
    lower sceenshot is another kind of strobing.
    And i found out that layer 3 tiling make a strobing brighter. More tiling more brightes.
    Another thing. When i'm trying to change Mask mode from ARGB 32 to something else and change it back again terrain cannot find this file.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  39. SJAM

SJAM

What!! Very wierd ...

All the 4TextureShader make this?

I can not reproduce this at home.

So can you make me a package with the same scene exept your objects : just a primary geometrie with other textures (if you want) + the same material +same shader + same light and send me at azert2k@gmail.com. I will investigate on this issue.

Best Regards

Stephane

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  40. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Sorry if this is a daft question, but is this PC compatible

41. SJAM

SJAM

Hi Jlcnz,

Yes, but with mobile limitation.

Stephane

42. Arkideit

Arkideit

Hi! I fugure out another problem with shadows.
    Shadows of placed objects can be seen thought the terrain.

Attached Files:

43. SJAM

SJAM

it seems that the shader is transparent !?! Very Weird !

Send me the scene without your beautifull frogs and without your objects...

Just the scene file(for having all condition of the scene), the terrain, the material, the shader of terrain, the mask texture.

We will fix this problem, even if the T4M is not the problem, because I want play your game (the design of your frogs is awesome)

44. Arkideit

Arkideit

Hi!
    I've already sent an e-mail with package.
    Did you recive it?

45. SJAM

SJAM

Yes, but I need the scene too (for lights placement) without your scripts and other objects than terrain...

46. Mypigzy

Mypigzy

Hi,

There's no demo version in the assest store. I'd like to try it before I purchase

47. SJAM

SJAM

Hi

I work on version 2 now, after the release I will make a lite version of version 1.52. But not yet sorry, I don't have time enough.

Best Regards

Stephane

48. Mypigzy

Mypigzy

Hi Stephane,

I need to add trees(like a forest) to the game I'm currently working on but I need to add them in a way of getting less draw calls because I'm in a tight situation with the game's frame rate on the iphone.
    Will your tool help me to achieve it?

49. SJAM

SJAM

Not for drawcall, on my future version (Black Ed.) I have integrate a Lod system who culling the far tree and you can have more than 1500 trees on scenes without lag, because Lod and culling.

the drawcall problem is always here, but you can cheat (avoid the long forward way)

It's a device limitation, and we must do with it...

50. jocoUnity

jocoUnity

Will there be an upgrade discount for version 2 if version 1 already owned?