Search Unity

Terrain 2018.3 Draw Instanced Projectors no longer work

Discussion in 'World Building' started by chaneya, Jan 8, 2019.

1. chaneya

chaneya

Has anyone noticed that projectors no longer work on the new 2018.3 Terrain if the Draw Instanced option is checked/selected?

Is anyone aware of a work around? I use projectors for indicators on Terrain instead of particles and decals so I can have images that follow the contours of the terrain.

Thanks
    Allan

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    gusrbehfdl, Lathrey and Shinobi1507 like this.
  2. crdmrn

crdmrn

Noticed that too, super annoying bug ^^"

3. chaneya

chaneya

4. chaneya

chaneya

That asset does not appear to work as a replacement for the built in Unity projectors. As far as I can tell, it requires a mesh for the Top overlay effect to occur. And the whole point of using a projector is that projectors act more like a camera projecting a texture onto other surfaces. It looks like a great asset, just not something that can replace projectors.

5. joshcamas

joshcamas

I've also fallen into this issue, hopefully a replacement will be found soon

6. sylon

sylon

7. joshcamas

joshcamas

oh no....

8. chaneya

chaneya

If projectors are not expected to work with 2018.3 Terrain using Draw Instanced support, then I wonder what a viable replacement would be.

I saw a recommendation for using Deferred Decals in the link above but decals do not act like projectors. Decals are simply flat textures that do not conform to the contours of terrain. I can use particles to get the same effect as decals. I am not aware of any other solution other than projectors that allows you to place an image on uneven terrain so that the image flows with the contour of the terrain.

9. DarkGate

DarkGate

Oh poop... looks like its a dead end. Guess I will be using a flat image for now. I have it slightly raised but its definitely still a problem around areas with height change.

10. joshcamas

joshcamas

I'm in need of some sort of solution for my custom foliage renderer, which used to use a projector to show the painting brush in edit mode.

I guess one option is to temporarily disable instancing. That might work

11. chaneya

chaneya

Sure that works but the whole point of 2018.3 Terrain is for the improved performance which is a result of GPU Instancing (Draw Instanced Turned On).

12. joshcamas

joshcamas

Very true. I'm just talking about in my case this workout is okayish, since I only need projectors during edit-time.

13. Lahcene

Lahcene

Was this at least fixed in Unity 2019.x?

14. chaneya

chaneya

Nope.

Lahcene likes this.
  15. Lahcene

Lahcene

What a drag...

16. vinnygombici

vinnygombici

any news on this issue? Will 2019.3 fix this? Can we submit this in the issue tracker?