Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Tentacle Horror

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Hey there guys,

Thought I'd share a scene/room I did for my portfolio/fun. Below is a concept from very early stages to final 3D Environment. Comments and critique are of course welcome :) Thanks for looking!

Use A,S,D,W and mouse for navigation.

Thomas Pasieka

Link to Webplayer Version:

Tentacle Horror

Attached Files:

2. Lallander

Lallander

Good look to the place. Good solid lighting. Few comments/questions below.

The tilt of the room seems a bit odd. What is GettyImages? And are you planning on animating the tentacles in the final version?

3. nickavv

nickavv

Woah dude. That is what I call cool. n_n I'd say that turned out pretty darn nice, good work.

4. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

Excellent work and mood. My pooooor MacBook, though.

5. soad667

soad667

Wow, really atmospheric. Great work there! :wink:

6. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Hey there guys. Thanks for all your nice comments :) Really appreciate the feedback! Glad to see that you dig the mood in this piece as this was my intend. I was trying to get some heavy/creepy/scary mood by using elements such as various colors of lights and textures/sounds.

As for the tilted Camera, that was intended too. A weird perspective adds to the already creepy room me thinks. That's a matter of taste of course.

Thomas P.

7. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

I presume those shadows are realtime? If they are, then cool. :D

If you're using c4d and you have mocca 3, then you should use ik spline for the tentacles (although, I bet you already knew that, and that's what those blue controller things are for :D ).

8. jeremyace

jeremyace

Woah, very impressive work as always. Very slick Thomas.

-Jeremy

9. Scrat

Scrat

Very cool!

I love these small technical demos that show off a lot of what Unity is capable :)

10. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Nice work. Mah! We need to find animators and additional modellers with some spare time and get project double zero back in business :p

11. taumel

taumel

Great a tentacle! Maybe someday the days of the tentacle might return. I like the 2D art the most.

12. orbitsteve

orbitsteve

Very Nice..one suggestion ...how about animating the tentacles....
    "Thou has the power to give life" :)
    the camera angle is a bit abstract for which I think would have mixed reactions , i felt annoyed at first but then i was forced to tilt my head to get a better view which was kind of what abstract is all about.

its good to see more people trying to work on the art and style and trying to accomplish them inside Unity.
    cant wait to see more

Cheers

Steve

13. artzfx

artzfx

Great work Thomas, turned out real nice inside of Unity.

14. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@TheInfomercial: Yes, the lights/shadows are realtime. Lighting (colors of light especially) is very important to get the right feeling going in this scene. The steam adds an additional element to it of course.

@Orbitsteve: I was wanting to animate the tentacles at first but decided not to in the end. I guess I got lazy. But maybe I will do that at some point later.

@artzfx: Thanks ;)

@Scrat: Technical Demos are fun. Gives me the ability to create my own spaces/environments and show off the capabilities of Unity.

@Taumel: Day of the tentacle was most awesome back in time... man those were the good ol' days. Anyone interested starting a project like that? ;) Just kidding...

@Everyone: Thanks for checking it out!!!

Thomas P.

15. aaron-parr

aaron-parr

This is cool. The tilt of the camera suggested to me that the room was tilted - as if the character is aboard a grounded submarine at the bottom of the ocean somewhere near Ryleh.

16. taumel

taumel

@Thomas Pasieka
    I always would be open for such a game...

A few games are just timeless. It's really satisfying seeing that these games are still beeing played also by people who are new to this genre. They have a game relevant aspect which is hard to find in a lot of games made today.

Just had a look at your painting again, really nice colours.

17. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Thanks Taumel. The 2D Paintover wasn't done by me. I have a very talented friend who does this kind of stuff for a living. His name is Bjorn Hurri. One of the most talented concept artist I have seen these days.

Anyhow, games like "Day of the tentacle" and such had something very special about them back in those days. You were entertained by a brilliant story and unique characters. I like games that tell a story which ... it's kinda hard to find these days anymore. Most everything is First Person Shooter with some sort of background story. I am guilty of this myself... not very original.. but... it's easier to do a FPS than a full fledged entertaining game a la "Days of the Tentacle" or the likes. However, I sometimes wonder. Why spend millions creating the next FPS if they could spend that money creating something unique. But then again... that's just my thinking....

Thomas

18. podperson

podperson

Technically, SCUMM games wouldn't be very hard to implement in Unity.

1) Click to walk (with maybe A* pathfinding or even something simpler to avoid obstacles).
    2) Inventory management
    3) A simple representation of the way items and actions work (e.g. so if you need to be able to attach inventory items to each other -- very common in SCUMM games -- there's a way of tracking that).
    4) Dialog management

The huge component of all the SCUMM games was artwork (they may seem primitive now but they seemed GREAT at the time, especially the Monkey Island games) and writing. The technology was simple. The gameplay was actually quite pedestrian. It was all content.

19. taumel

taumel

@Thomas
    I agree.

Part of the problem for sure is that there simply still is a great focus on technology and art and some people feel kind of done once all this is working and looking fine. This is quite a problem as actually the work on the game hasn't been started yet.

Also the "making it enjoyable" step is a rather hard one and quite some don't take it, because they either don't see this, can't do it well or are running out of time/budget. There are a few games which work without this but that's a minority. Valve is one of the few companies caring about this aspect in their FPS games, that's why they are always too late.

It's also a fascinating process for developers using a certain technology and beeing amazed by what they can build up with. Many games contain more or less beautiful art and Unity related you for instance could count the terrain examples into this category. The work of virtual landscape architects but as long as there is no game related life in them not really enjoyable.

Obviously making an adventure needs a different approach and you also have to differ about which game market you're taking about but in a whole a lot of games lack something which makes them worth beeing played, a unique idea, properly working gameplay/-mechanics or speaking about adventures again an interesting story, interesting characters, well designed riddles or good written dialogues. The funny thing is that once you have this in your game all the other aspects are almost completely pointless and stepping into the background. Good books just need two colours, no shaders, no physics and no, not even multitouch.

That's part of the reason why good adventures are still beeing played and i'm pretty confident that adventures like for instance TTG's Sam&Max also will sell well in the future because the game relevant components are timeless. Outdated technology in an adventure is not an issue but it is in most FPS games.

20. Red Ocktober

Red Ocktober

exceptionally well done... i saw this yesterday, but was rushed and unable to comment...

the progress shots from wireframe to current working demo are quite interesting... i always like seeing how an idea or concept gets to it's final in game form... neat...

oh yeah... what is the significance of 'gettyimages'... it's some text that's barely visible in the water window...

can't wait to see more of this...

--Mike

21. donjuan

donjuan

Wuauu!! really nice work. I can't wait to see these tentacles moving...

22. nickavv

nickavv

GettyImages is a stock photography site. I'd guess that he used some material from them and felt like plugging them a bit.

23. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

I would guess that the video clip playing that looks like bubbles is FPO from them and those frames act as a watermark. The purchased content is longer and doesn't have their logo on it.

24. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Yup. I could have gotten something without a watermark but I felt like giving them credit since I liked what they had to offer and went with their stuff. They do have quite a big collection of anything you can imagine. Since this is a personal project I don't need to buy their "bubbles" but I sure would if that would have been a "paid" gig.

Thomas

25. holmeren

holmeren

looks cool great light.. I would make the textures way more rough and dirty, scratches rust and so on and so on ;)
    Great to see the idea in 2d first ;)