Search Unity

Tennis Stars Cup @ Shockwave.com!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by ThreeMelons, Jan 15, 2008.

1. ThreeMelons

ThreeMelons

Three Melons is pleased to announce that our first Unity game, Tennis Stars Cup, was published today @ Shockwave.com

You may remember this game in an early stage as a Top DOG contest finalist. We've come a long way since then, and we're very proud of the resulting product.

Give it a shot!

Cheers!

2. Jessy

Jessy

Wow, this looks awesome!

...but it doesn't work with my Wacom tablet :(

3. MatthewW

MatthewW

Congrats! I hope it does well for guys. I'm sure it will; it looks great!

4. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Seems like most of the background graphics were missing when I played. A lot of things in the menus were unexplained without the background. Also, I found it too hard. I never won the first championship match.. I don't think I was doing anything wrong, but it was just too hard. I think the first match should be easy. Also, I think the super fire ball power should be blockable, but just harder to block. I never got it but the computer got it all the time and it was frustrating.

5. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Yoggy

Start practicing.

I just won with 3 matches to 1.
    nice flaming rocket althought the flames showed some artifacts.
    For the rest everything worked very nicely.

Felt like playing Wii sports again, but this time with better control over where to shoot.

Would it be doable to make such a game for multiplayer gaming over the net ? Or is the net just too slow for such things ?

6. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Awesome.

I love the controls. I think this is the best mouse control for a tennis game i have ever seen, you put in so much subtle control over the swing!

7. Jessy

Jessy

Definitely! I had fun using my trackpad for the tutorial, but that's not an ideal controller for fast-paced games, and I hate mice so much that I wasn't enticed to play anymore after that. Please see what you can do about that tablet situation.

8. perfect440

perfect440

Hi guys. Thanks for your comments.
    I was lead developer and designer for Tennis Stars Cup. It was extremely fun to make and a great way to learn Unity. I like the resulting product, even if it's not 100% what I'd envisioned.

That sounds odd, you're the first one to have those issues. Could you give more details? Does it happen every time? Could you take screenshots?

I agree with this, to a degree. One of the points I couldn't quite bring to a good balance (as usual, due to lack of time) is that of ease of play vs. depth of control. In the end I think I leaned towards the latter, but just because I think I'd lost perspective of what it'd feel to play the game for the first time. That's one of the most valuable learnings I take from this project: the need to have test players all along the development cycle, and stay focused on the target player the game aims for.
    Still, I think the game is really fun once you get past that initial bump that we failed to fully minimize.

Yes, it's doable. In fact, we initially had it in mind to make it Multiplayer, and even got an early version working over the net. The bandwith seemed to be under control, even, if we kept communication at a minimum. For the Shockwave release we stopped development on the Multiplayer, since they wouldn't provide that funcionality (until they have their own Unity compatible MP system).

Thanks you all for your comments, I really appreciate both praise and criticisms, keep them coming!

Joaquin

9. 64746c

64746c

Do me a favor and don't release anything this fun again during exam week. :D
    I really enjoyed it. Everything in the game was very well done. Congratulations!

10. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Congrats on the release! I have an /etc/hosts file on this machine that prevents me from playing Shockwave games (and seeing ads) but I'll give it a try soon!

I hope you have luck getting people to install the Unity plugin.

Cheers,
    -Jon

11. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I expect the other Unity Shockwave games have resulted in lots o' webplayer installs already. I thought the controls were excellent and had a very good feel; it seemed like probably a fair amount of time was spent getting that right. For some reason I didn't really have any trouble with the difficulty; I was able to win more often than not right off the bat (if you'll pardon the mixed metaphor). The only reason I didn't play more is because I'm not really into tennis much, but that's my problem. ;)

--Eric

12. podperson

podperson

Attractive and very polished. I found the controls a bit problematic, but nothing terrible -- I wonder if it's a size of screen to size of game area issue.

13. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

awesome!!! great work.

14. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Excellent work, I was waiting patiently for this game to be released :)

~t

15. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Yes it happens every time. Also when I came back and played again it was easier and I got to the second round of championship. Then it got way too hard again and it felt like I had been nerfed but the enemy was still the same, which kind of bugged me. But other than that great game, its really fun! here are screenshots:

Attached Files:

16. jeremyace

jeremyace

Many congrats guys, I'll try to give it a run when I get the chance.

-Jeremy

17. angel_m

angel_m

Fantastic! One of the best Unity games I have ever seen.

18. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Excellent news! And congrats on your entry into the IGF this year! Good luck!

19. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Great job! The control system works uber:well :)

I passed the link around the office and the only comment was that you guys should use the camera more to show the cool character models a bit more.

Overall, a REALLY NICE game!

20. aaron-parr

aaron-parr

I am also impressed. Good job.

21. escondar

escondar

THat is very cool. The controls were very very sweet and the presentation fantastic. I think it is the coolest UNITY made product I have personally seen.

22. desmasic

desmasic

everytime i play any online games from www.shockwave.com, it always appear as black screen.

Do you have any idea why that happens, i want to try this game too :D

23. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Looks like it's the pre-roll video advert that's giving you problems (and not the Unity game that follows). I don't know what the problem is though. Do you have JavaScript disabled or something like that?

d.

24. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Looks like its GAME OF THE DAY at shockwave

http://mms.shockwave.com/2409/index.html?mid=223476562

Nice game, really.

And congratulation to whoever spoke those silly voices shouting the points and other silly stuff.

+ I appreciate the LOOSING sound (Can't remember how the winning sound sounds because of some reasons :) )

25. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Just seeing this and wanted to chime in here... Great work guys!

The controls are nuanced excellent and the game overall has a polished feel.

I like the balance you chose between full-on hardcore tennis (with dives and tighter controls) and more accessible casual play. Also liked the Bill Hicks looking announcer haha.

I didn't make it through the tournament, but enjoyed the matches I played.

Any chance to give more statistics on the production, similar to this post? Such info helps a lot of new Unity users understand the scope of interactive projects.

joe

26. Dom

Dom

I had the same thing like amoschid in firefox (pc). Using IE it went fine. Maybe firefox is blocking some of the advertising stuff (it's not related to the unity webplayer).

The game is very well done! :)

27. drJones

drJones

fun game - the controls seem much tighter now. nice polish too.

congrats on the release ; )