Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TENKOKU - Dynamic Sky

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chingwa, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Bagnol

Bagnol

@VargaPD This may be a silly question, but I guess it's a place to start; you mentioned that you imported all the assets from your project into a new project, if I'm reading correctly - Did you check to confirm that your Rendering Path and Color Space in Edit>Project Settings>Player are set to what they used to be in the old project?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    chingwa likes this.
  2. chingwa

chingwa

I usually would just copy the files if I needed a new project in a new location. I've never had a problem doing it this way. By exporting/importing you are getting the files, but you may be missing out on specific project settings which don't transfer this way. I'd check your original project for settings like deferred/forward.. gamma/linear... etc. and make sure they match in your new project.

3. VargaPD

VargaPD

Yes! That was it, what I have missed! Thank you!

But now, it is saying, that 'Tenkoku Warning: No skybox material has been set'

Well, it would be nice, but my system said that some files are not readable... And yes, the new project started with gamma, so I turned it to linear, so now it is almost okay.

4. Bagnol

Bagnol

@VargaPD Glad to hear you got it working :)

Have you tried checking under Window>Lighting and making sure the Skybox is set to mat_TenkokuSkybox - Tenkoku sets it automatically when you drag the prefab to your hierarchy, but may not have happened with the way you've been forced to transfer your project.

5. VargaPD

VargaPD

It's happening, when I try to set the skybox to mat_TenkokuSkybox :/

6. Bagnol

Bagnol

Is it possible to delete Tenkoku from your hierarchy and drag a replacement Tenkoku prefab in without breaking anything, to see if that might fix it? I've never seen that error message before.

7. chingwa

chingwa

Yes, I recommend doing as @Bagnol suggested... just delete the tenkoku object in your scene and drag in a new prefab.

However you can also check under the Tenkoku_SkyFog-->TenkokuCameraTools component and make sure that it has both the rendertexture slot, and the sky material slot filled correctly. the texture and material can be found in the Tenkoku/Textures folder.

Bagnol likes this.
  8. VargaPD

VargaPD

It accepted the skybox, after I restarted the project. I've cleared the GI cache, and now it is building. It will build for days, just like last time -.-"

Bagnol likes this.
  9. Gua

Gua

@chingwa Are there plants to give an option to use Unity fog with TENKOKU? This could solve a lot of problems, like incompatibility with tree billboards etc.

10. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Gua,
    I probably won't be doing this officially, as they can be tricky to get working together. However if you'd like to enable the default Unity fog with Tenkoku you can open up the TenkokuModule.js file and comment out this line (around 964):
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (enableFog) RenderSettings.fog = false;

11. Murgilod

Murgilod

I just bought Tenkoku and everything is working as I need it aside from one thing. For some reason, my clouds at night are still illuminated, even though I've turned off things like the moon brightness and everything.

They also don't seem to light properly during sunrise/sunset:

This is strange because for a while they were working fine, it's just until I reset Unity that they started behaving strangely.

I've tried messing with all the settings but nothing seems to fix it. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

12. chingwa

chingwa

@Murgilod I'm not sure what would be causing the cloud behavior... do you have any additional directional lights in your scene? if so they might be interfering with proper cloud lighting. You may try simply deleting the Tenkoku object from your scene and adding a new one from the prefab. As for the video, it looks like the water system you're using is projecting it's caustics onto the clouds... you can try moving the tenkoku clouds to a different game layer and then try to remove this layer from the caustic projections. The tenkoku cloud object is located at Tenkoku-->SkySphere-->EFFECTS-->fxCloudPlane.

13. Murgilod

Murgilod

Oh, yeah, the caustics thing I ended up solving by just deleting the caustics projector. I don't need to worry about them so all that does is eliminate a bit of overhead. As for additional lights, I've got none in the scene. Also, a quick experiment shows this happening in new projects with nothing in the scene. I'm on OSX 10.10.5 and the latest version of Unity if that helps at all.

14. chingwa

chingwa

So you're using Unity 5.3.4( not the 5.4 beta) correct? Do you get any console errors? Can you go to the LIGHT_Nightsky object and try setting the "Render Mode" attribute to "not important"?

15. chingwa

chingwa

I guess I should also ask if changing between deferred/forward or gamma/linear makes any difference for you? And also whether you have the Tenkoku Fog effects on your scene camera?

16. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

I'm happy to announce that Tenkoku version 1.1.0 is now ready for download...

Download Here: http://www.tanukidigital.com/download
    (Available on the Asset Store Soon)

This version includes the long awaited code conversion to C#. At the link above you'll find a separate download options for both C# and JS versions. This is a temporary step, and all future development of Tenkoku will continue in C# exclusively. For those still keen on using the JS version, I recommend getting the JS update but switching your Tenkoku related code to the C# version as soon as possible. (Note that only the C# version of this update will be available from the asset store).

In addition to the above you'll also find the inclusion of the new lightning weather effects, as well as rainbow rendering (and yes, you can do double rainbows!). Solar eclipse rendering has been updated/fixed and should now properly render both partial and total eclipses. I've also re-introduced the original star rendering algorithm (with optimizations) which renders with much better accuracy and fidelity.

Finally there have been a number of additional rendering tweaks and bug fixes included as well. I have begun work on the advanced weather automation system, but due to the C# conversion this has been pushed to a future update.

It's recommended to uninstall your current version of Tenkoku completely before installing this new update.

As always, let me know if you have problems/questions/feedback etc, either by email or on the forums!

All the best,
    Justin Kellis
    Tanuki Digital

-------------------------------
    RELEASE NOTES - Version 1.1.0
    -------------------------------
    WHAT'S NEW
    - New C# Codebase now available (default)
    - New realistic Rainbow rendering (always opposite the sun position).
    - New realistic Lightning rendering, with omni-direction thunder sound fx.
    - 'Allow Multi-Lighting' attribute, enables concurrent pixel-light rendering (sun/moon/lightning). Turning this off saves drawcalls.
    - Improved star rendering (reformulated original particle star system).
    - Added light saturation sliders for Sun and Moon lighting.

CHANGES
    - Slight tweaks to sky color rendering.
    - Adjusted moon rendering brightness.
    - Adjusted Atmospheric Scattering falloff effects.
    - Adjusted Overcast weather blending and lighting.
    - Adjusted solar eclipse scene and effect lighting.
    - Raised maximum fog height value from 1000 to 10000.
    - Adjusted some misc. code for better performance footprint.
    - improved lighting stability performance between sun and moon objects.
    - Added Brightness factor to cloud shader, and brightened default cumulus rendering.

BUG FIXES
    - Tenkoku particle effects now clamp color properly at night.
    - Sun Size no longer affects horizon/sky lighting.
    - Fixed constant reflectionprobe updating error in scene-view mode.
    - Fixed issue where backside of moon was visible during daytime.
    - Fixed Solar eclipse rendering.
    - Fixed anomalies with wind direction not properly calculating cloud/particle coordinates
    - Fixed tiling issues in cloud textures.

17. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Congrats on C# port of Tenkoku, Justin! Looking forward to trying to play around with it a little this weekend. :)

mwituni and chingwa like this.
  18. Murgilod

Murgilod

Well, I'm not sure what the problem was still since none of the suggested ideas worked, but updating to 1.1.0 seems to have fixed everything, so there's that! Thanks for the update!

19. questerymj

questerymj

Hello all, I got a shadow shifted problem at daylight in Tengoku...

upload_2016-4-29_12-14-43.png

This didn't happen in night light.

Any way to fix this? Thanks in advanced!

20. Murgilod

Murgilod

I had this problem too. I solved it by going to the LIGHT_world light and setting the bias to 0.05.

chingwa likes this.
  21. questerymj

questerymj

This worked!! Thank you very much Murgilod!!

22. VargaPD

VargaPD

So, it was a while, since I had time for this, but now, it's working. Thank you @Bagnol @chingwa and the others :)

Bagnol likes this.
  23. Teila

Teila

OMG! I never thought this day would come. :) Now..how about Suimono?

I might actually buy Tenkoku now. lol

24. chingwa

chingwa

@Teila :D Yes, Suimono is next on the conversion list. I expect it to be finished sometime in May.

Teila, John-G, RD and 2 others like this.
  25. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Thank you very much for the C# conversion chingwa! ;)

26. Teila

Teila

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. mwituni

mwituni

Awesome !
    Thanks for C# !!!

Rainbows a nice touch too

28. elbows

elbows

Congratulations for getting to the end of the mission to make a C# version! I am one of those people who was waiting for this before purchasing, and so I will buy a copy from the store later this evening. Cheers!

A (hopefully fun) question:

I believe I saw you in the thread about the excellent volumetric lighting/fog that Michel_ so generously shared with the world. I was wondering what the chances were that you might integrate this with your system? I asked him about the license/rules/spirit of people doing this and his answer was very positive and helpful:

His excellent answer here

Teila likes this.
  29. chingwa

chingwa

@elbows I took a look at @Michal_ 's volumetric system a couple weeks ago, with the idea of integrating parts of it into Tenkoku. I was able to get some interesting progress, but I had concerns about the performance aspect. For me at least the volumetrics (while they look quite beautiful) were seriously ramping up my gpu to the point of it overheating and crashing my computer :D This isn't really a knock against the volumetric system as I also have trouble after playing intensive games as well. I guess I should sort out my computer.

His license is very generous and I'll be following his progress, and will look at integration again in the future.

30. elbows

elbows

Cool, sorry to hear about your GPU problems. It sounds like his top priority is about performance, especially improving the half-res mode, and there could be progress with that within days.

Anyway, I won't hassle you further about this for now and might have a play with some kind of integration myself. But first I need to buy your system and learn the basics etc. Cheers :)

31. elbows

elbows

Actually I probably shouldn't say GPU since thinking back to the days where some of my PC's were unstable under maximum load, almost any component could be to blame. e.g. PSU.

32. elbows

elbows

Bought it, very pretty!

I was playing with the C# version using latest Unity 5.4 beta and I couldn't build a Win 64 project - not got the full details in front of me right now but I had to put IF editor tags around the using UnityEditor statement at the top of one file. I also had to remove DX9 from the graphics APIs list otherwise the build failed with some shader error.

33. elbows

elbows

Ah I see that a patch came out just after I got a version, and I presume it fixes the above problem. Cheers.

34. chingwa

chingwa

@elbows Yes this is the exact problem that the patch addresses :) Though I have not seen the dx9 issue.. if it continues to be an problem then let me know.

35. elbows

elbows

I'll do some more testing on that one, it might have been something to do with the 5.4 beta.

36. chingwa

chingwa

I don't typically jump to support Unity beta issues, because they have an annoying habit of breaking things that shouldn't be broken :D. But I do track issues with the beta to see how they progress. If you run into anything specific definitely let me know.

37. veddycent

veddycent

For those of you who are using Ceto with Tenkoku are you having the stars render on top of everything else with the latest C# version?

Thanks

Attached Files:

38. chingwa

chingwa

Well that's pretty odd. The stars should be offset against everything else... not sure what's going on in Ceto to cause this.

You can try manually editing the star render distance by going to the Tenkoku-->SkySphere-->SkySphereStar-->StarRenderSystem object and change the 'Star Distance' setting to a higher number... probably closer to your camera far distance setting... but be careful, getting too close to this number and you'lll start to see star clipping as they extend beyond visible space.

Note that if you set the stars farther away you may need to increase their size (in the Tenkoku UI) in order to compensate.

39. veddycent

veddycent

I was pretty confused by it as well. I deleted and imported a fresh copy of Tenkoku as well so it might not be anything to do with Tenkoku. I did a bit of testing last night by importing both into a new project and all seemed ok. I'll do a bit more testing tonight if I get some time.

Also whilst I'm here is there any way to reduce the strength of the horizon? It's overly bright compared to the rest of the scene even after tone mapping.

Thanks

40. Kenaz

Kenaz

Hello @chingwa , I tried to change light shadow strength value (in LIGHT_World) but it locked. Is any way to change it?

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  41. Ludo97

Ludo97

Hello , I do not see a cloud in the sky
    and time does not move , how to set the day / night cycle lasts five minutes ?
    Thank you

42. TheEndersWAR

TheEndersWAR

@chingwa Hi, I was wondering if you would like to take part with a game im making called Project:Venus, I have been using your sky system and I was wondering if you want to do something never before done, remake Venuses cloud layers, and I would also like to get your input on it. :) heres a few pictures

43. TheEndersWAR

TheEndersWAR

44. TheEndersWAR

TheEndersWAR

I know it looks hard :p but is it possible?

45. Bagnol

Bagnol

The second image captures the aspect of loneliness really well.

46. veddycent

veddycent

@TheEndersWAR Can you not add your own cloud textures to mimic the ones in the images?

47. TheEndersWAR

TheEndersWAR

@veddycent that cloud textures hard since its volumatic, Im looking around for free cloud mesh generators

48. Apolyon6k

Apolyon6k

Have this system on my wishlist for some time now but not at the right stage in development to do lighting for my outdoor scenes yet. One idea I was playing with is having two suns that move in a specific matter:

Starting on opposite sides, joining in "middle" and separating again to move in 90 degree shifted directions.
    ( It is this strange thing as the suns are huge creatures flying in the sky and fight in the middle and separate again to escape in different directions. )

Is this possible with Tenkoku (without rewriting the time of day part)?

49. FractalCore

FractalCore

I'm seeing the terrain in the distance is still bright during the night. Turns out the Tenkoku_ReflectionProbe is too small, it has a hard-coded size of 2000,2000,2000. Is there a way to alter that? I couldn't find which script is setting it.

Another question. I've never been able to get the Advance Time Speed Curve to affect anything. I tried extreme values (up and down between 0.1 and 20) but the Advance Time seems to always be the same speed at all times. Is this broken or am I not using it right?

Attached Files:

50. FractalCore

FractalCore

Nevermind about the Reflection Probe setting. I just figured out it's based on the camera distance far clipping plane. Might be useful to give us control of that within the Tenkoku settings :)

Also, if the light probe is always where the camera is, then shouldn't it's size be double what the camera far clipping plane is?

If the far clip is 2000 and the light probe size is 2000, then from the centre you're able to see 1000 before the light probe bounds end.

Last edited: May 10, 2016