Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TENKOKU - Dynamic Sky

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chingwa, Apr 12, 2015.

1. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

I'm happy to announce that Tenkoku version 1.0.8 is now ready for download...

Download Here: http://www.tanukidigital.com/download

There have been a number of bug fixes and small improvements in this release. Notably, the editor window now updates lighting and color properly when you change the Tenkoku time and date settings. There have been some fixes made to the fog system so that particles can now interact properly (they were getting covered up by distance fog previously). You can also now use standard cubemaps for the galaxy/night sky texture instead of just the default 2D spheremap.

There has also been the addition of a temperature control and a heat/haze effect which will start to become visible in the distance once the temperature goes beyond 90 degrees(f). I plan on doing more with the temperature control in a future update, such as automatic color tinting (cold vs hot) and incorporating it into a more robust weather automation system.

As always, let me know if you have problems/questions/feedback etc, either by email or on the forums!

All the best,
    Justin Kellis
    Tanuki Digital

-------------------------------
    RELEASE NOTES - Version 1.0.8
    WHAT'S NEW
    - Added Temperature Control.
    - Added Heat Shimmer distortion effect, based on current temperature.
    - Added standard cubemap rendering support for custom galaxy/nightsky textures.
    - Added Fog Dispersion attribute to control atmospheric fog sharpness.
    - Star shader now simulates star perturbation (shimmering) again.

CHANGES
    - Edited overcast lighting balance.
    - Edited distance rendering in clouds.
    - Built-in Unity fog is automatically disabled whn Tenkoku fog is enabled.
    - Rewrote SkyBlur to .js in order to access some internal functions.
    - Removed Sun mesh object, sun is now rendered in skybox.
    - Moon now obscures sun/star/nightsky correctly.
    - Moon brightness tweaks.
    - Rain/Snow particle collisions now enabled by default.

BUG FIXES
    - Secne Lighting and Color now updates in Editor mode properly.
    - Scene particles are no longer obscured by Tenkoku fog/atmosphere.
    - rain and snow effects now render on top of distance fog.
    - Some SendData() function calls were ignoring case-sensitivity, now fixed.
    - boolean SendData() function calls now accept data in both numeral (true="1.0") and string (true="true") formats.
    - Turning off star rendering no longer turns off galaxy rendering and vice versa.
    - Overcast clouds now attenuate point lights properly.
    - Fixed cloud shader initialization error.
    - Fixed cloud shader fail state in D3D9.
    - Fixed 'division by 0' shader errors.

julianr likes this.
  2. chingwa

chingwa

Just as an aside, this version has been submitted to the Asset Store and should hopefully be available there sometime later this week. :)

3. chingwa

chingwa

4. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

I'm happy to announce that Tenkoku version 1.0.8b is now ready for download...

This is a small incremental update. Usually I would have waited to add other improvements before doing a release like this, but with Today's release of Unity 5.3 I thought it important to get this update out to everyone as it fixes a few compatability issues with the latest Unity update. Even if you aren't running 5.3, there are still a couple bug fixes that might be useful to you.

I recommend removing your the current version of Tenkoku from your project before installing this update, since this version removes a few obsolete components from the system.

As always, let me know if you have problems/questions/feedback etc, either by email or on the forums!

All the best,
    Justin Kellis
    Tanuki Digital

RELEASE NOTES - Version 1.0.8b
    - Fixed Deprecated warnings in Unity 5.3+
    - Fixed Cloud and aurora light attenuation issue with scene lights.
    - Fixed additional 'Divide by Zero' issues in shaders.
    - Removed obsolete components.

julianr likes this.
  5. chingwa

chingwa

julianr likes this.
  6. julianr

julianr

chingwa likes this.
  7. chingwa

chingwa

Well, that's bizarre! Am I missing something or are those links exactly the same, except one works and one doesn't o_O
    Thanks julianr!

julianr likes this.
  8. chingwa

chingwa

If anyone is using Tenkoku in Unity version 5.3.1, there is a bug in Unity's error reporting that is flooding the console and might cause a negative FPS hit. I have a temporary workaround available to anyone who needs it, just send me an email or a PM.

9. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

I'm happy to announce that Tenkoku version 1.0.9 is now ready for download...

Highlights of this release include the addition of moon directional lighting (based on phase), rain/snow/fog particles affected by wind settings (Unity 5.3+ only), and there is a new auto-camera detection mode which will auto select the MainCamera in your scene for easier setup (essentially drag-and-drop now for most projects).

Note that due to customer demand I have reduced the default blue color in the sky rendering. If you preferred the old look you can make adjustments to the texture ramp image, or adjust the new "sky tint" setting under configuration. I've also adjust the default behavior for the included reflection probe, setting the default update to 0.25 fps and turning it off by default. This can be re-enabled under the configuration tab.

This release also addresses the 'isInfinite' error spamming present in Unity 5.3.1 which was clogging up the performance of Tenkoku.

Apart from the above there is a bunch of bug fixes and small useability tweaks and other enhancements, as noted below.

All the best,
    Justin Kellis
    Tanuki Digital

RELEASE NOTES - Version 1.0.9
    WHAT'S NEW
    - Moonlight now casts proper scene shadows.
    - Added 'Enable Reflection Probe' option in UI to enable/disable automatic probe updates.
    - Better Camera Handling, can now use auto-select or manual-select camera mode to determine proepr scene camera tracking.
    - Added Sky Tint color to configuration tab for easier/quicker sky color adjustments.
    - Particle rain, snow, and fog are now affected by wind direction and speed (Unity 5.3+ only).

CHANGES
    - default sky color has been adjusted to be less blue. Can be edited using tex_MasterRamp texture.
    - 'sky amount(night)' setting now changes scene ambient color.
    - re-introduced rain fog particle effect rendering.
    - increased maximum heat mirage strength (was too subtle in previous versions).
    - lowered default 'reflection probe update fps' setting to 0.25 for better default performance.
    - Overall Tint setting now properly tints scene lighting again.
    - Tenkoku no longer forces ambient color mode when 'set ambient' is enabled.
    - Decoupled cloud speed and wind speed settings. Cloud movement can now be set independently from wind amount.
    - built-in Unity Antialiasing is disabled when fog rendering is enabled (fixes reversed matrix errors).
    - rain and snow emission, collision, and dampening settings adjusted.
    - enlarged size of cloud plane to alleviate distance clipping issues.
    - Cloud shader edits to better feather cloud edges.
    - reduced aurora texture save to save memory and smooth-out rendering.

BUG FIXES
    - moon light intensity now works properly again.
    - Fixed fog positional errors when switching between scene cameras.
    - introduced workaround for "isInfinite" error spamming in Unity 5.3.1
    - updating sky render/lighting in editor mode now works properly again.
    - fixed intermittent moon phase rendering errors.
    - fixed bug where 'link clouds to timer' was not actually effecting cloud speeds.
    - fixed bug with camera tracking causing jitter on some sky elements.
    - fixed darkening of moon error during daylight hours.
    - fixed bug where atmospheric rendering would not adequately darken during overcast weather.

temptek and julianr like this.
  10. chingwa

chingwa

julianr likes this.
  11. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

I'm happy to announce that Tenkoku version 1.0.9b is now ready for download...

This is a small bug fix release that fixes an issue with overcast clouds not responding to nighttime lighting changes. As this is a very minor update from version 1.0.9, there is a patch file available for download to anyone who already downloaded and updated to version 1.0.9. The patch file will bring you all up to date without having to re-download the whole system again. (note, patch file only works when upgrading from version 1.0.9!)

For those who haven't yet downloaded 1.0.9, it has been replaced in the downloads section with 1.0.9b.

All the best,
    Justin Kellis
    Tanuki Digital

-----------------------------------------
    RELEASE NOTES - Version 1.0.9b
    -----------------------------------------
    BUG FIXES
    - Fixed overcast clouds not responding to day/night lighting.
    - Moon lighting now respects overcast setting.
    - Force disable autotime while scene is not playing.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    julianr likes this.
  12. chingwa

chingwa

I'm happy to announce that Tenkoku has been selected to be a part of Unity's 'Best of 2015' Staff Picks Sale. Tenkoku will be 25% off from Tuesday January 26th, through Tuesday February 2nd. This is a "once in a lifetime" opportunity to get Tenkoku at a limited discount. Don't miss out! http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/tenkoku-dynamic-sky.318166/

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  13. Teila

Teila

Hey, I see Tenkoku is on sale! I have a voucher that has been sitting in my asset store box waiting for a $50 asset and this is awfully close.

I have a few questions though. I haven't seen any demos with weather, such as lightning. On the demo I downloaded, the wind seems to do nothing. I love the clouds though and the fog..so seriously thinking. Currently I use Time of Day, which is good for development, but doesn't include weather.

How customization is the weather? Can we code in randomization to the weather, based on seasons? Has anyone tried this? The Java thing really bothers me since both of our programmers are C programmers so how easy will it be for us to tie in things, such as lights turning on and off, etc. I like that it is simpler than some but want to make sure we can still do what we need to do.

Also..how is the stability? I have heard it is excellent but I still have issues with Suimono so just checking. ;)

Thanks!

TheSeawolf likes this.
  14. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Teila,

Thanks for your consideration! Yes the JS vs C# may cause a slight headache (compared to pure C#) but there are ways around this issue either by prioritizing js compiling in your project or by using reflection to access js variables etc. That being said there will be a C# version coming a little later this year (don't have an available time frame yet though).

Accessing system variables such as time or weather states is pretty straight forward and you could do a lot with this with a little bit of tweaking (adjusting lights, or adjusting weather by season etc.) Currently the weather system has a manual mode where you adjust variables to get a specific weather pattern, and also has an automated random mode which is, well, completely random. There will be a much more advanced weather management system (coming soon) where you can adjust a range of settings to get nicely automated weather patterns, seasonal shifts, etc.

Currenlty there is no lightning or thunder, but these are on the to-do list. I also plan on doing addition weather effects such as sandstorm, screen drop effects etc, and am open to other suggestions as well. One person suggested rainbows... which I might do if others are also interested (sorry, no unicorns though).

As far as compatibility, Tenkoku has been confirmed on PC/Mac/Webplayer and Linux. It is not recommended for mobile. As far as stability goes, I think it's rather well developed at this point. Discounting the odd bug here or there, or custom setup problem, I really haven't had many issues reported. Compared to something like Suimono I'd say that Tenkoku is much simpler, lighter, and straight forward. I'm pretty confidant that even if there are initial setup issues in a project (which has been rare) that solutions can be found.

In the demo you can manually set the cloud cover and rain/snow/fog levels. The wind amount and direction will affect trees (there is an included global wind zone component), cloud direction, and weather fx in Unity 5.3+ There are a number of additional settings that I couldn't fit into the demo scene without clogging up the whole screen, cloud speed for example (perhaps I should add that in the demo).

I recommend taking a look at the documentation to give your coders an idea about variable access. Let me know if you have other concerns or any additional questions :)

TheSeawolf likes this.
  15. Teila

Teila

Ha!! We were just discussing this on Skype. With all due respect, I have waited for a long time for the C# for Suimono...which was always coming, so can't count on that. lol I will ask around as to how difficult the Java would be mixed with the C.

16. chingwa

chingwa

Yeah, Suimono is long overdue for that C# version. I needed to get Suimono 2.1.1 out beforehand, and that particular update has been plaguing me for a while. I plan on focusing on the C# Tenkoku update once the advanced weather automation system is in place, which should be in the next major release (ver 1.1). So it shouldn't be too far away (for what it's worth).

17. Teila

Teila

I guess it is worth something. :) Thanks, Chingwa, you are a cool guy in spite of your Java love.

chingwa likes this.
  18. Knightwing

Knightwing

Hi Chingwa.

I am interested in buying Tenkoku (just found out about it today), but want to know if it's possible to change the day time sky textures or only the tint colors? Also, can the sun be changed (size, color, intensity, etc)? Can the moon be changed (size, different texture, etc)? Any chance of adding meteors/shooting stars to the night sky?

19. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Knightwing,
    For the sky itself there aren't any textures involved. You can customize the tint and color settings if need be in order to get custom skies. The cloud textures are channel-packed, but they can be customized as well if need be. Sun and moon can both be customized i.e size, light amount, etc. and you can use a custom moon texture if necessary. Shooting stars is a great idea, I'll add that to the to-do list :)

20. chingwa

chingwa

For anyone using version 1.0.9b, I've had some bug reports related to cloud rendering. There is a patch fix available that should mostly fix this issue, just send me an email at konnichiwa[at]tanukidigital.com in the meantime if you'd like the update.

21. barcode802

barcode802

I'm interested in possibly getting this system - however I have two questions:

Can you adjust the height that the clouds render at? Both the distance from the ground and the height of the clouds (for thunderstorm type clouds).

Is it compatible with VR - Oculus and Vive?

22. chingwa

chingwa

@barcode802 the clouds are rendered from a ground based perspective, so the "height" of the clouds doesn't have much bearing on how they render. They aren't designed to be used in a flight-sim like environment where your able to fly through the clouds, just FYI, and are instead intended to be viewed from a near-ground perspective.

As for VR, I haven't tested personally, but as long as the two cameras are near together (as they would be for any of the VR devices) I don't forsee any problem using Tenkoku.

23. chingwa

chingwa

In response to a number of requests about using Tenkoku with C# I've decided to write the below mini-tutorial about using Reflection. While the current release of Tenkoku is indeed in .JS, this does not mean you can't read and access Tenkoku variables in your C# script. While there are a few different ways you can do this, the easiest is to use Reflection in order to read Tenkoku components and then pass variable adjustments. This can be done directly in your C# components with only a couple of extra added lines.

For example, let's assume the simple case of wanting to set the current hour to 10am. You would first tell your C# component that you want to use reflection by including the "using System.Reflection" line at the top of your component. This allows access to Reflection commands...
    Code (csharp):
    1. using System.Reflection;
    Next you would find and cache the Tenkoku components so you can access them later (just as you would in regular C#)...
    Code (csharp):
    1. GameObject tenkokuObj = GameObject.Find("Tenkoku DynamicSky");
    2. if (tenkokuObj == null){
    3.   Debug.LogWarning("Unable to find Tenkoku object!");
    4.   return;
    5. } else {
    6.   var tenkokuModule = tenkokuObj.GetComponent("TenkokuModule");
    7. }
    Assuming you do have Tenkoku in your scene, all you need to do to set the time is to search for the correct variable (in this case "currentHour") and then send the correct value back to the Tenkoku component... In this case we're setting it to "10".
    Code (csharp):
    1. if (tenkokuModule != null){
    2.   FieldInfo tHour = tenkokuModule.GetType().GetField("currentHour", BindingFlags.Public | BindingFlags.Instance);
    3.   if (tHour != null) tHour.SetValue(tenkokuModule, 10);
    4. }

That is all it takes to get reflection working. It's only a couple lines longer than the normal C# code would have taken. Below is an example of a full script of the above, that exposes the hour variable so it can be publicly changed in the Unity Editor. Feel free to copy this component to your project and experiment on your own.

Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System;
    3. using System.Reflection;
    5. public class Test_Reflection : MonoBehaviour {
    7.   public int setHour = 8;
    9.   void LateUpdate(){
    11.     //Check scene for Tenkoku Module and cache it for future use
    12.     GameObject tenkokuObj = GameObject.Find("Tenkoku DynamicSky");
    13.     if (tenkokuObj == null){
    14.        Debug.LogWarning("Unable to find Tenkoku object!");
    15.        return;
    16.     } else {
    18.        //Edit Tenkoku Settings
    19.        var tenkokuModule = tenkokuObj.GetComponent("TenkokuModule");
    20.        if (tenkokuModule != null){
    22.            //Set the hour
    23.            FieldInfo tHour = tenkokuModule.GetType().GetField("currentHour", BindingFlags.Public | BindingFlags.Instance);
    24.            if (tHour != null) tHour.SetValue(tenkokuModule, setHour);
    26.         }
    27.     }
    28.   }
    29. }

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    John-G and Teila like this.
  24. Teila

Teila

Hey, thanks for this, Chingwa! However...as nice as it is, I hope you will still do the C# conversion in the future. ;)

chingwa likes this.
  25. chingwa

chingwa

26. Teila

Teila

Why, thank you, sir! Only the best, C#!

chingwa likes this.
  27. Knightwing

Knightwing

Thanks! Bought it and trying it out now! Let us know when you get a chance to add shooting stars into the system.

Teila likes this.
  28. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks Knightwing! Let me know if you run into trouble or have any setup/useage questions etc.

29. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Just a point on this in late update - you should be caching the tenkoku object - GameObject.Find("Tenkoku DynamicSky"); is very expensive.

chingwa likes this.
  30. chingwa

chingwa

Yes, of course! The above example is very simple/functional. Anyone actually using this extensively should be caching these objects in Start() or Awake().

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  31. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I just bought this asset(as well as the suimono water asset). This post is to basically say HI and to have the system update me when this topic moves. I don't think I can use the asset at this exact moment because it simply doesn't fit my Missile Command Clone game I'm doing, but I wanted to have it for my future projects.

32. chingwa

chingwa

@kburkhart84 Thanks! I hope you get the chance to use it soon :)

33. chingwa

chingwa

I've spent much of the day editing both the sky and cloud rendering algorithms in order to a more dynamic (and realistic) appearance. There's still a bit of tweaking to do, just to be sure that all the settings are playing well together, but I should have this finalized and available to everyone in Version 1.0.9c which will be ready in the next day or two.

Below you can see the new sky (set to about 7am) in 1.0.9c, compared to the current version 1.0.9b.

34. chingwa

chingwa

35. revox2006

revox2006

Night time is really bright why is that? My terrain seems to stay the same brightness.

36. chingwa

chingwa

Hi @revox2006 first make sure you don't have any extra directional lights in your scene. Tenkoku has it's own built-in lights which it controls based on time of day/night. But if there are extra directional lights in your scene they will continue to illuminate regardless of time.

Otherwise you can control the brightness of night by changing the moon 'light amount' and 'sky amount' settings under 'Celestial Settings'.

37. revox2006

revox2006

I don't have another directional light in my scene and them moon rendering settings don't do anything to the terrain.

38. chingwa

chingwa

Are there any errors in your console? Can you post a screenshot of what your scene looks like at night?

39. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

Hi. I am thinking of grabbing this asset while its on sale.

Does anyone know if this has lightening/rain effects that are included? Also are there any issues with RTP terrain shader?

40. chingwa

chingwa

Rain, snow, fog, heat haze fx are included. Lightning/thunder is on the To-Do list and will be added in a future update.

As for RTP, I don't have much direct experience with it but I know there are many using RTP and Tenkoku together without issue.

41. Bagnol

Bagnol

I've been using RTP and Tenkoku for quite a while and haven't seen any conflicts between the two.

I've been using Chingwa's systems for quite a while now and I'd definitely recommend anyone on the fence about picking up Tenkoku to just take the plunge. It's a great system that's very easy to use, and Chingwa is always super helpful if I get stuck. Definitely among my favourite assets.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    chingwa likes this.
  42. revox2006

revox2006

No errors, only one comes randomly from CETO ocean. http://prntscr.com/9xqa5u

43. Bagnol

Bagnol

That's interesting - would you mind adjusting the day/month value to see if it's just a matter of it being a full moon?

44. revox2006

revox2006

45. chingwa

chingwa

I bet this is due to ambient lighting. Try going to the Unity Lighting window, and set the 'Ambient Source' to 'Color', then replaying your scene. I set Tenkoku to set this automatically with the next update.

46. revox2006

revox2006

Awesome got quite a bit darker, but anyway to change it so it is quite hard to see? http://prntscr.com/9xquwt

47. chingwa

chingwa

Yeah for this you should lower the 'Sky Amount(night)' setting... this acts as an overall ambient intensity range during nighttime so putting this at 0 will make for a dark scene. The moon 'Light Amount' setting is light illumination directly from the moon, which will vary depending on moon position and phase. I assume these should work for you now that the ambient setting is switched.

revox2006 likes this.
  48. revox2006

revox2006

49. chingwa

chingwa

That certainly seems lower res than it's supposed to be. It might be due to texture import settings... try going to the Tenkoku/Textures/ folder and check the 'maxsize' setting for 'tex_clouds_a_hires' and 'tex_clouds_b_hires'... these should be at 4096 for best quality. You also may need to check your settings under Player Settings-->qualitySettings, and make sure the 'Texture Quality' is set to Full Res.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  50. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

I'm happy to announce that Tenkoku version 1.0.9c is now ready for download...

This Update focuses on improving sky and cloud color rendering, particularly around sunrise/sunset times, which now give a much more dynamic and realistic look to the sky system. There are also a few other tweaks related to cloud rendering, as well as the inclusion of 3rd-party Gaia setup scripts which allows for easier setup and configuration when using Gaia.

It's recommended to uninstall your current version of Tenkoku completely before installing this new update. This will be the last incremental update I do for the next few weeks while I focus on building a more advanced weather automation system, scheduled for the upcoming 1.1.0 release.

All the best,
    Justin Kellis
    Tanuki Digital

RELEASE NOTES - Version 1.0.9c
    WHAT'S NEW
    - Added Gaia 3rd-party configuration script and setup options.
    - Added Horizon Density setting which allows finer control of Atmospheric Density during sunrise/sunset times.
    - Added Horizon Height Setting to help control height of Horizon dispersion.
    - Added Sun Ray Length setting to control Sun shaft length from UI.

CHANGES
    - Improved Sky and cloud rendering dynamics, especially during sunrise/sunset times.
    - Improved sunray rendering.

BUG FIXES
    - Adjusted Cloud edge rendering and distance lending
    - Adjusted cloud scaling based on camera distance.
    - Lightened overcast scene lighting.
    - Adjusted overcast cloud speeds.

Bagnol likes this.