Search Unity

TENKOKU - Dynamic Sky

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chingwa, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Jason210

Jason210

Thanks. I haven't used Unity for a few years so I'm just getting used to all this again.

I now have a spreadsheet of settings covering all the lighting situations and I need for the project for the time being. Thanks for your support!

2. Kimller

Kimller

Hey i got problems with the pluggin, do you know how can i fix automatic weather? I set it in automatic (random) but when y click on play the weather doesn't change

3. chingwa

chingwa

@Kimller You probably also want to adjust the 'pattern lifetime' and 'transition speed' settings. These are denoted in minutes, so if the lifetime is set at 5 and the speed is set at 1 (which is the default) then it will take 5 real minutes before the weather will start to switch to the next random pattern... and it will take a full minute for the transition to complete.

You can set these lower, even at decimals, so for example if you want a new pattern every 30 seconds you would set the lifetime to 0.5.

4. Kimller

Kimller

Thanks, hoy help me a lot, tenkoku is amazing

5. Kimller

Kimller

hey guys, i already have cts and tenkoku dynamic sky, do you know guys how can i use cts and cover all my landscape with snow when tenkoku is snowing ? Or cover landscape with snow its something cts have to do not tenkoku ?

6. chingwa

chingwa

@Kimller If you already have Tenkoku and CTS setup in your scene then all you need to do is the following...

1. Add the CTS Weather Manager to your scene via the components menu.
    2. Drag the Tenkoku/Scripts/Tenkoku_CTS_Weather component onto the 'CTS Weather Manager' object in your scene.

Once you do that CTS should sync many of it's functions with Tenkoku. You can control some aspects of how they interact through the Tenkoku_CTS_Weather component... like how quickly snow will build up and melt etc. Here's some more info about the component that I include in the code header...

----------------------------------------------------
    // Rain and snow speed settings are delineated in seconds. 60 seconds = 1 minute. If 'Use Tenkoku Time' is
    // selected, then the given speed will be compressed according to Tenkoku time multiplier settings.

// When 'Temperature Controls' is checked the system will modulate the snow accumulation based on whether
    // the temperature in Tenkoku is set at or below 32 degrees (f). If the temperature is above 32 degrees
    // then snow will begin to melt and snow precipitation will wet the ground like rain instead. Also, if
    // the temperature is below 32 degrees, then snow will not melt.

// When 'Melt Influences Wetness' is checked, then the terrain will apply wetness (via the RainPower setting)
    // to the terrain as the snow begins to melt. It will only do this if the snow first reaches the given melt
    // threshold (see private settings below). The wetness will then decline as normal according to rain Dry speed.

7. Kimller

Kimller

Thanks guys !

8. Eidoboy

Eidoboy

Hi, I'm looking for a new skybox, since the old one uses the deprecated particle system.
    I need it to work under webgl, I've read that you don't garantee the full support, so I would like to know if it's possible to try an evaluation version before buying it. Also, is the refactored version coming along? Many thanks

9. chingwa

chingwa

@Eidoboy For the most part Tenkoku does work under WebGL. It does require WebGL 2.0 (version 1.0 will not work). The only current issue is that the Built-in temporal aliasing doesn't work, so this needs to be turned off in the Tenkoku settings (otherwise you get a blank screen). The temporal aliasing is used to make the volumetric clouds less grainy, and this might be a deal breaker for some, though you can increase the cloud quality to address this as well (with a performance cost)

Below is a test build using WebGL and Unity 2017.3, with the temporal aliasing turned off:
    http://www.tanukidigital.com/tenkoku/misc_files/WebGL_Demo_v1.1.7b/

10. chingwa

chingwa

The refactored version has turned into a complete rewrite from the ground-up. It is in the works, but I do not yet have an ETA I can give you.

11. Eidoboy

Eidoboy

Thank you for your answer and the demo, the most important thing for me is the accurate sun simulation. So I can live without accurate volumetric cloud for now

12. hooraypublic

hooraypublic

Hi,

When using both the volumetric cloud and rainbow, I ran into a problem. See picture:

Bug.jpg

So the cloud plane is interfering with the rainbow.

I had tried moving the cloud plane above the rainbow, but just curious if there's another solution here. Because I'm also hoping to move the rainbow, is that possible? I can't find any setting about the rainbow nor its component in the hierarchy window.

chingwa likes this.
  13. chingwa

chingwa

@hooraypublic Ah I see... the lower bounds of the rainbow are being masked by the humidity level, which is why it looks strange in your screenshot. While I did somewhat intend this behavior, I guess I would consider this a bug, actually. While it is not currently possible to place the rainbow in front of the clouds, you can adjust the humidity level down to 0 which should ground the bottom of the rainbow at the horizon... which will make this look better.

You CAN detach the rainbow from the humidity level so that it is always masked by the horizon by editing some code. You can also have a little control over the rainbow positioning (though rainbows being directly opposite the sun is, in fact, most realistic) by editing some code.

Open up the Tenkoku_FX_Fog.shader file and scroll all the way down to around line 332. You'll see the //RENDER RAINBOWS section where you can add 2 additional lines of code... all you need to do is change the fog factor (the first line below), and then perform an addition to the Tenkoku light direction (the second line below)

Code (CSharp):
    1. //RENDER RAINBOWS
    2. fogFac = fogFac3;
    3. Tenkoku_Vec_SunFwd.xyz += float3(0,0,0);
    changing the float3 values will adjust the rainbow position. For example float3(0,-1,0) will raise the rainbow higher, while float3(0,1,0) will lower it (but only too a point).

I will make sure that the rainbow is masked to the horizon in future updates.

14. hooraypublic

hooraypublic

Thank you for your suggestions! I'll try them out later today.

15. hooraypublic

hooraypublic

Unfortunately changing humidity to 0 doesn't help either. It simply reveal the hard horizon line by removing the mist. But the cloud sphere doesn't start from the horizon line, instead it blends with the sky somewhere in the middle, so the bottom line still interferes with the rainbow. Also I'd like to maintain the mist effect with the humidity setting.

Is there a way to render the rainbow in front of the cloud sphere? That might be the ideal solution if possible.

16. chingwa

chingwa

The rainbow is rendered directly in the skybox shader on the camera component. The fog is rendered in front as it's own object, so the way it's currently setup the rainbow can't be moved in front of the clouds. Perhaps the rainbow rendering can be instead moved to the cloud object, I would have to investigate how feasible that is.

17. halvorss

halvorss

Once again, I love your Dynamic Sky system and all the nuances you've included like solar corona during a total eclipse. I've looked through the forum pages but haven't found similar posts regarding three other issues I have run into and have questions about (Unity 5.6.3p2 and TDS 1.1.7b)...
    1. For an eclipse, during the run-up and wind-down to totality the lighting of the sky dome and even the corona effect flickers. It starts out rapidly flickering, then becomes less rapid, and finally settles down mid totality (reverse order coming out of totality). I've tried and this happens both in our custom scene and with the Tenkoku Demo Scene. Is there something I'm missing to keep this from happening? It doesn't appear in the reflections of Demo Scene spheres, only on the sky dome itself. I have a video of this but it's a 60MB .mp4 or 2.2MB .ogv
    2. I love the look of the Sun if you turn up the "Mie Amount" under Celestial Settings. However I've seen three different issues with that:
      1. As the sun moves across the sky the effect distorts, seemingly being limited to blocks so the shape will change to a horizontal rectangle, then as it moves more to a vertical rectangle, and back and forth (attached image). This is extreme in our custom scene, but was also noticeable in the Demo Scene.
      2. As the sun rises or sets near the horizon the 'bloom' effect gets extremely large, taking up nearly 1/2 of the view along the horizon (attached image).
      3. During an eclipse the effect can poke through the moon up to totality. So the sun will be eclipsing and then a bright spot will appear in the dark moon area. I haven't gotten this to happen in the Demo Scene but it happens in our custom scene (attached image; Mie Amount=0.08, Size=0.0254).
    3. I have seen times where the sky seems to disappear/flicker in rectangular and triangular shapes. I first noticed it during a night time with aurora when as the camera looked around multiple sections of the sky would become bright multi-color shapes and the clouds there would disappear (no image), and another time during the day when part of the clouds disappear (attached image).
    I'd love to know if there are ways around these issues. My Tenkoku prefab is at the origin with a 1,1,1 scale and the SkySphere child at a scale of 8,8,8. Thank you. MieBleed.jpg MieDistortion.jpg SkyHoles.jpg

18. chingwa

chingwa

@halvorss Can you give me the date / time / latitude / longitude that you're testing the eclipse with...? Just so I can see exactly what you're seeing? I will do some tests on this tomorrow and get back to you ASAP.

19. halvorss

halvorss

@chingwa A mid-day eclipse is at August (8), 21st, 2017 with time Hour:14, Minute:30 through 50, Latitude:34, Longitude:-81, Time Zone: -5, and Enable Daylight Savings Time is checked. Thank you.

chingwa likes this.
  20. chingwa

chingwa

@halvorss OK I did a bunch of digging this morning and found some issues with the eclipse rendering. It took me a while to figure out where the flickering was coming from. In the end it seems to be a float accuracy issue. I was able to get around this by blending and averaging the eclipse factor over a period of time, and I also spruced up the darkening effect and removed mie brightening as the eclipse starts counting down. I'll send you a PM with a download link to a patch that should address the flickering.

As for the light rectangles, yes I do see what you mean. It's only apparent after cranking up the mie Amount. You can fix this by going to the Tenkoku/Textures/renderTex_sky file, and changing the resolution from 64x64 to 128x128. I will change this to the default setting on my end too so future updates have this as well.

Regarding your last picture with the cut triangle, I'm not really sure what this is from. Does changing the skySphere object scale to be 20,20,20 affect this at all? Or perhaps adjusting the farClipPlane of your scene camera?

21. halvorss

halvorss

@chingwa You are the best bar none! Bumping up the renderTex_sky resolution does fix the light rectangles. I had to go up to 512x512 but it differs on how big you go with the Mie Amount. Of course that makes the texture 5.3MB instead of 83KB, but other than texture memory is there any other performance/speed impact going larger that you can think of?

And you are correct that it was an issue with the Camera farClipPlane causing the missing cloud polys... just odd that it's not a uniform thing.

22. chingwa

chingwa

I'd say you can make that render texture as high as you want until you start to see a performance issue. I assume there will be a point where the higher resolution starts to make a performance difference, but it's only doing a render on the skybox, nothing else in the scene, so shouldn't cause too much of a drop.

23. Wacimo1996

Wacimo1996

Is there a way to sync tenkoku's time and time scale with unity's? for example when i change time from the Tenkoku Module, the time automatically changes in other assets that depend on unity's time...

24. chingwa

chingwa

@Wacimo1996 You could use something like the below script which will multiply system time by tenkoku timing variables, then you could use the 'tenkokuTime' variable in place of Time.time, and the 'tenkokuDeltaTime' variable in place of Time.deltaTime;

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class SyncTime : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     public float tenkokuTime;
    7.     public float tenkokuDeltaTime;
    8.     private Tenkoku.Core.TenkokuModule tenkokuModule;
    10.     void Start () {
    11.         tenkokuModule = (Tenkoku.Core.TenkokuModule) FindObjectOfType(typeof(Tenkoku.Core.TenkokuModule));
    12.     }
    14.     void LateUpdate () {
    15.         if (tenkokuModule != null){
    17.             if (tenkokuModule.autoTime){
    18.                 tenkokuTime = tenkokuModule.systemTime;
    19.                 tenkokuDeltaTime = Time.deltaTime * tenkokuModule.useTimeCompression;
    20.             } else {
    21.                 tenkokuTime = Time.time;
    22.                 tenkokuDeltaTime = Time.deltaTime;
    23.             }
    25.         }
    26.     }
    27. }

25. Wacimo1996

Wacimo1996

thanks! i'm already using a solution similar to this one, but the problem is: when i use the WaitForSeconds method in Coroutines, and when i advance the time slider in tenkoku, the waiting time remains the same and is not affected by tenkoku's changes. Is there any solution for this please? :)

26. chingwa

chingwa

@Wacimo1996 I think you would just need to adjust your WaitForSeconds amount by the useTimeCompression variable in Tenkoku... such as....

float waitTime = 5.0f;
    yield return new WaitForSeconds(waitTime * tenkokuModule.useCompressionTime);

27. Wacimo1996

Wacimo1996

but the problem here is i'm still using Time.timeScale in WaitForSeconds and if i advance time manually it doesn't affect the Coroutine :) I think what i'm trying to do doesn't make sense...
    also, in your example, i think it should be like this:
    yield return new WaitForSeconds(waitTime / tenkokuModule.useCompressionTime);

28. chingwa

chingwa

Yes, probably right. :)

29. Rtyper

Rtyper

Hi there, thanks for your great work on this! Do you have any plans to support scriptable render pipelines (specifically the HDSRP) in the future? I had a quick look back through the thread and I couldn't find any mention of it.

Cheers

30. chingwa

chingwa

@Rtyper Eventually I will probably have to support the HD pipeline but it's currently too experimental for me to invest any time into it. So I don't have any specific plans to do so at the moment but I think it will be inevitable once SRP becomes more of a standard Unity feature.

31. benpletcher

benpletcher

Really enjoying your dynamic sky system, thank you and great work.

I am trying to get the fog to be darker, and so far i have dropped every color/gradient value i can find to black, and it seems like the fog has a default color value that only gets adjusted/amplified, not necessarily changed. Right now the fog is almost a kind of a glow. Please let me know if I am missing something.

thank you

Attached Files:

• fog.JPG
      fog.JPG
      File size:
      63.3 KB
      Views:
    chingwa likes this.
  32. chingwa

chingwa

The fog is based on the sky color, and you can adjust it a little bit using the 'fog tint' in color settings (just make sure you also adjust the color alpha as that will also affect the amount of tint). That being said it won't let you reallychange the color all that much by default.

This is mainly due to the 'fog obscurance' setting. By default this is handled automatically, but if you go to the Atmospherics tab you can turn off 'auto adjust fog' and reduce the obscurance level, which should give more weight to the fog color tinting.

Conversely, you can just turn off the obscurance overlay in the shader, by opening up the SHADERS/Tenkoku_FX_Fog.shader file and commenting out line 293, like so...

Code (CSharp):
    1. //Blend Fog Obscurance
    2. fCol.rgb = lerp(half3(fCol.rgb), half3(skyBox.rgb), (1.0-fogFac) * _Tenkoku_FogObscurance);
    To this...

Code (CSharp):
    1. //Blend Fog Obscurance
    2. //fCol.rgb = lerp(half3(fCol.rgb), half3(skyBox.rgb), (1.0-fogFac) * _Tenkoku_FogObscurance);

33. benpletcher

benpletcher

I have noticed that if I 'play' my scene at different times of day, it significantly alters the ligthing for all other times of day, without and changes to actual settings. I tweaked my lighting at about a 1pm timeframe, and notice that when i run through a day/night cycle, the night is too bright.

when i scroll to midnight in the scene view, its dark and looks more like it should. But, if i 'play' from a time setting of midnight, my 1pm lighting looks very different from when i 'play' from a 1pm setting.

I don't know if this has anything to do with having set the time scale to x100 in order to view a day/night cycle.

34. chingwa

chingwa

Timescale shouldn't matter. It's possible the color gradient data got messed up... under 'Color Settings' you can try switching the gradient source to 'texture' just to be sure. Also make sure you don't have extra Directional Lights in your scene, as Tenkoku should be all you need in this regard. If you still have trouble perhaps posting some screenshots would help me better determine the issue?

35. wightwhale

wightwhale

I'm having trouble with terrain speed trees and other objects having very bright lighting at night. Do you know how I can fix this? If you look closely the trees that are very far away are changing to proper lighting but the close up trees are very bright at night.

36. chingwa

chingwa

I'm not sure why the trees woul be so light. You could try lowering the 'night ambient' attribute under 'color settings', but this will drop the ambient brightness for everything. If you turn off Tenkoku temporarily, do the trees look darker when you change ambient in the Unity Lighting window?

37. wightwhale

wightwhale

Thanks, I think I have that straightened out now. If I wanted to make the clouds more polygonal / square than spherical how would I do that? I'm not really sure how to change the noise pattern to make the changes I'm looking for.

38. wightwhale

wightwhale

How do you change the color of the sky on Oskar-Elek 2009? I'm trying to get it to be less blue but I'm not sure how to change the color.

39. chingwa

chingwa

@wightwhale For Elek, you can adjust the 'sky tint' in the color settings section (for an overall color tint). If you'd like to experience with the shader you can open up eh Shaders/Tenkoku_sky_elek.shader file and search for:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. float rayLength = 100000.0;
    Adjusting the raylength up or down will have an effect on the cool/warm of the sky color.

For the clouds, you can either adjust the cloud freq/detail under 'configuration' or you can edit the tex_clouds texture files.

40. wightwhale

wightwhale

Ok I seem to have narrowed down the bright light at night problem on the trees. If you load in a scene with tenkoku scene A then load a second scene B in without tenkoku and the trees will get the light from scene B then when you remove scene B and you can see the light is still making the trees bright in scene A even though the light has been removed. Any idea what's causing this?

41. chingwa

chingwa

I'm not sure... Is scene B contributing additional lights, or is it lightmapping the trees perhaps?

42. Radu392

Radu392

Hello,

Assuming Tenkoku is the only lighting used in the scene, does it make sense to bake it? All the directional lights provided by Tenkoku use the realtime mode, not mixed or baked and they also change rotation at runtime so that's why I'm wondering if baking will change anything. I'd test it out myself, but man does it take a long time to bake a scene.

43. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Radu392, I don't think it makes sense to bake the lighting, as the main feature of Tenkoku is a "Dynamic" lighting system that changes over the course of the day. If you bake the lighting, it won't look correct after the time/date changes.

To be honest I don't think I've ever tried baking from the Tenkoku lights... It should be possible, just like with any other Unity light. I suppose I just wonder why you would need to?

44. Radu392

Radu392

Okay that's what I thought thanks! Well I know that baked light is more realistic and less compute intensive than realtime lighting and just wanted to see if I can take advantage of that.

45. tapawafo

tapawafo

Hello! I understand it's a beta build but I've had to move to 2018.2.0b8 for physics bug fixes. There seems to be an error with the cloud_plane shader:

Shader error in 'TENKOKU/cloud_plane': Too many texture interpolators would be used for ForwardBase pass (11 out of max 10) at line 300

There's a bunch of this same error in the file. Do you think this is fixable? I understand it's a beta build so it's not supported of course. Just wondering if you had any workarounds in mind.

Thanks!

46. chingwa

chingwa

@matteumayo I'm not familiar with what changes would have occurred in the beta to cause such an issue. It could be a change in Unity shader spec, or it could just be a temporary bug. This is part of the reason I don't support betas, you just never really know what the deal is and you can (and I have) wasted a bunch of time chasing other people's mistakes.

I assume this is occurring because you're using the legacy clouds(?) ..does it make any difference if you switch the 'legacy clouds' setting on/off? The 'cloud_plane' shader only renders during legacy mode, so if you are instead using the volumetric clouds it's possible you could just delete that shader from the /SHADERS folder in order to avoid error messages.

If this bug still continues in the next official release, then I will definitely be looking into a fix ASAP.

47. Musonica

Musonica

Hello, what an amazing asset... thank you!

I am working on a 360 degree art installation and am looking for a way to change the planets particle handler into object meshes. I'd like to use the actual planet mesh models and add a text label to them.

I'm still learning unity programming and can get the co-ordinate adjusted raw geocentric planetary x y z data however theres a translation process that seems to use azimuth and altitude and each planet position is rendered rotationally instead of spatially with x y z which i don't quite understand yet.

Any advice on how I can achieve this would be awesome!

48. chingwa

chingwa

@Musonica This is a very interesting question, and I don't think anyone has asked about this before. All celestial elements are calculated using Altitude/Azimuth coordinates. I'm not sure how feasible it would be to alter the positioning code to use another coordinate set. Tenkoku was created with earth-based-perspective in mind and the azimuth algorithm works best for that purpose.

However, I think you should be able to get what you are looking for by just arranging planet objects using the current rotations (? Unless you need your own custom planet positioning?). What I recommend is to take a look at the included moon object and use that as a template for your planet rendering. The moon has a special material/shader that will render spherical objects as they would appear from an earth... getting proper shading from the sun, and blending with the overlayed sky atmosphere. You can duplicate the moon object and then attach the duplicate to the existing planet objects as a child gameobject, which will inherit the correct planet positioning. Try the following...

1. find the moon object at Tenkoku/SkySphere/SkySphereMoon/Moon and duplicate it, re-naming it 'venusObject'
    2. drag the new object onto Tenkoku/SkySphere/PLANETS/planetVenus so that it becomes a child object.
    3. set the position of the new object to -2,0,0 and the rotation to 0,0,0.
    4. On the planetVenus, ParticlePlanetHandler component change the alpha color to 0 to turn off particle rendering.
    5. Duplicate the TEXTURES/mat_moon material and call it /mat_VenusObject or somthing similar.
    6. Replace the Base (rgb) texture with your own planet texture (it expects a single 'spheremapped' style texture).
    7. Apply the new material to your venus object.
    8. Repeat for other planets.

You can adjust the x-position of the planet to make it bigger/smaller, or change the scale factor. I do recommend having the x position set no larger than -0.5 as it does need a negative offset in order to render in the scene properly. These steps illustrate the easiest way to get what you're looking for I think, without having to dig into any of the Tenoku code. Let me know if this helps!

49. Musonica

Musonica

Wow, great advice... I've got the basics of it working now, It's really saved me a lot of time, thank you!

I really like the look of real planets in the sky, it creates a beautiful contrast and added realism (maybe you will consider it as an option in some upgrade :).

Still a lot of testing and development to do, I may need to look at rewriting the moon shader and the better handling of whether a planet is in front of or behind the sun. Also the planets create eclipse effects which is interesting though should be relatively simple to solve.

Thanks again for your help!

50. Radu392

Radu392

Hey I have a little issue with the horizon rendering. In the screenshot below (sorry for the poor quality), you can see a line on the horizon. The weather is overcast and raining a little but you can see the stars on the horizon.

https://puu.sh/B4Rae/137333d992.png

I think the horizon is also causing problems with the sun setting because you can still see its reflection on the water 20-25 (tenkoku time) minutes after it has disappeared from the screen. It actually doesn't completely go away until about an hour later so I wondering if this is normal.

https://puu.sh/B4RrZ/8955a29855.png

Any idea how I could tackle this? Awesome asset by the way!