Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TENKOKU - Dynamic Sky

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chingwa, Apr 12, 2015.

1. chingwa

chingwa

@BaptisteB That is really strange! Perhaps trying windowed mode instead of fullscreen (or vice versa)may help? I just downloaded directly from the website and both play modes work here for me. Are you on PC or Mac?

2. RockingGameDeveloper

RockingGameDeveloper

Hello, I have been having some issues with my lighting. I was wondering if anyone here could help me with it. I would deeply appreciate it. I enjoy using both the skybox and water asset made by this company, but sadly I have been encountering some issues with use it. My lighting is off. In the editor scene the project looks great, but in run time the scene looks off. issue.png at work.png

3. chingwa

chingwa

Hi @The-Main-Man Thanks for posting the screenshot, but can you be a little more specific about what looks off in Play mode? Are you referring to the dark shadows?

Dark shadows like this might mean that the included reflection probe is either turned off or is not positioning itself properly. I would first check to make sure that the Reflection Probe is turned on in the Tenkoku settings, and that the update FPS is not at 0... usually 0.5 is a good setting.

I would also make sure that Tenkoku is tracking your scene camera properly. The easiest way to do this is set the Tenkoku camera to automatic mode, and also make sure your main scene camera has the 'MainCamera' tag set on it. BUT to be sure that it's tracking you might instead want to switch the camera tracking to manual, and drag your scene camera into the slot in the Tenkoku config settings.

Let me know if the above helps or if you have other issues I'm not addressing.

4. BaptisteB

BaptisteB

@chingwa I'm on pc (win7) and have tried it from the site, fullscreen, windowed, multiple resolutions... Nothing work :(

5. bnogalc

bnogalc

@chingwa do you plan to have sand storms effects and common desert "sand twisters" . The small ones appear when there is some air, maybe adjustable to make big ones :p

6. chingwa

chingwa

@bnogalc I had considered sandstorms in the past. It's a good idea and It may be something I add in the future.

7. chingwa

chingwa

Just a quick note to let everyone know I will be away from my computer for a week or so. I will do my best to check in when I can.

8. celarain

celarain

Hi there, its already the automatic random weather option available?

9. Hexaedre

Hexaedre

Hi,

For a fantasy game I want to have an orange day sky color instead of the regular blue, and if possible a green sunset.

I tried to tweek the gradients in the Tenkoku Module but I havent found a way to turn the blue sky color to orange. Apparently I only can add some orange, but it didn't replace the original blue and didn't give the effect I want.

Is there a way to change the default blue sky color to something else, maybe like if it is a hue value shifting ?

Your clouds looks really nice, do you know when they will have shadows underneath ?

10. pleasantPretzel

pleasantPretzel

Hi!

I'm also having trouble with demo scene. (The one here: http://www.tanukidigital.com/tenkoku/demo/demofiles/tenkoku_demo_mac.zip )

The sky is almost entirely black, but the UI, audio, and sun are all present. Changing parameters does move the sun, but for whatever reason the sky/evironment remains a solid black.

Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 7.19.27 AM.png

Maybe I missed some system requirements. I'm on an older macbook pro:
    Macbook Pro mid 2012
    geforce gt 650m

chingwa likes this.
  11. chingwa

chingwa

@slufter Thanks for the notice, I re-uploaded the mac demo and should be working better now. Give it a shot here: http://www.tanukidigital.com/tenkoku/demo/

Just FYI, the mac version currently has an issue with Temporal aliasing, which is why it's appearring like a black scene for you. The new upload should have aliasing turned off. This does affect the clouds somewhat on mac, and they will appear noisy/pixelated when aliasing is off. I'm working on a solution which will hopefully be ready soon for this issue on Mac.

12. chingwa

chingwa

@Barritico I re-uploaded the PC demo.... I noticed that for some reason when exported to an x86 build it runs really slow, at least on my 64bit windows machine. I was seeing frame drops down to about 30 fps! This might be the same issue you were seeing as well. The new demo located here: http://www.tanukidigital.com/tenkoku/demo/ is exported using the 64bit option and runs much faster... matching the 60fps speed I'm getting in the Unity Editor, if not a bit faster.

13. chingwa

chingwa

Also as a general request... if there are any Tenkoku customers out there that are using developing on Mac, and would like to try a test patch that I hope fixes the Temporal Aliasing feature on Mac (and thus gives smoother cloud rendering), then send me an email at konnichiwa@tanukidigital.com

14. chingwa

chingwa

@celarain Sorry for the late response, I have been out of town. Yes Tenkoku currently includes a random weather option. Currently it is completely random, but I am working on an more advanced weather generation system for a future update.

15. chingwa

chingwa

@Hexaedre The easiest way to do this is to edit the 'sky tint' color, including the alpha channel, in the Color Settings section.

Alternatively you can adjust the 'Sky Color gradient' settings, but some of the gradients require the 'Atmospheric Model' setting to be changed to 'Legacy Tenkoku' (in the Atmospherics section) before they will take effect.

Scene shadows are on my to-do list but I don't yet have a time estimate for this feature.

16. taylank

taylank

Hi! Great looking asset!
    Is it currently possible to use Tenkoku to simulate weather within the context of a space/planetary simulation? Think Kerbal Space Program but with dynamic weather for every planet.

17. chingwa

chingwa

@taylank I don't think it's possible to do what you want with Tenkoku, at least not out-of-the-box. Tenkoku is generally a global system, and does not wrap itself around a sphere the way you would need for outer-atmosphere type of rendering. It's intended for an inside-the-atmosphere viewpoint.

18. Aa22041100

Aa22041100

Hi @chingwa ,

I would like to ask is the TENKOKU support multi-monitor and VR environment?

Regards,
    Stanley

19. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Stanley, I don't recommend Tenkoku for VR projects, due to some problems with compositing atmospheric effects.

20. Aa22041100

Aa22041100

Got it. Thanks for the reply.

21. Fatalis

Fatalis

Just gonna comment here that fog drawing over clouds would be much appreciated. Currently my clouds look like solid black blobs at night and don't blend with the night sky at all.

Attached Files:

22. chingwa

chingwa

@Fatalis The fog does cover the clouds, but only at a distance near the horizon. If the night clouds are too dark for your project you can adjust the color by going to the 'color settings' tab and editing the darkest part of the 'Cloud Color' gradient to be a little bit lighter.

23. pointcache

pointcache

Where do i change night light color?
    How do i make a "snapshot" of current skysphere state, i want to remove tenkoku and use the skysphere as is, just attaching to player.
    I only need night sky.

jdraper3 likes this.
  24. chingwa

chingwa

@pointcache you can edit the moon color gradient in the Color Settings-->Color Gradient Settings section... either by editing the color texture, or switching it to custom gradient mode. This will change the color of the directional light during night hours.

As for removing tenkoku, you can't remove tenkoku without losing the stars/milky way/moon objects. I'd probably recommend you capture a spherical cubemap of the nighttime scene and simply use that saved texture as a cubemap instead. Tenkoku won't do this for you, but I'm sure there is code somewhere on github or another asset that will capture your scene into a cubemap texture...

25. imDanOush

imDanOush

Hello, @chingwa Please read this, as it (hopefully) is useful and I took time for this message.

Way to revolutionize Tenkoku
    Intro
    I'm a computer software and IT engineer student and I have been working on a project as a hobby since 2013 and the moment I found Tenkoku, I decided to try it out. Based on my comparisons, this weather asset is the one and only fully loaded one with every feature I wanted for a simulation game out of the box for its weather, I was surprised once I compared it to another simpler asset, And both managed to run in same FPS rate!, which was around ~40 to ~50 FPS. Note that I have tested my own modified version of Tenkoku on a mid-end laptop and V-Sync was obviously off and I tested them in Play mode (not in a released build version).

Still, that doesn't mean Tenkoku is perfect, not at all. In other words, I had to manually disable Planets, Galaxy and Aura effects. I had to switch to classic clouds mode but soon I figured out that the classic clouds don't look normal at nights so I had to find a way to fix the clouds in classic mode, After lots of investigations I kinda found out how Tenkoku works under the hood and fixed it. From that time I figured out lots of *opportunities* that WILL make Tenkoku much much better and smoother than it currently is. Hence I decided to ask the amazing team who develops Tenkoku to take care of them. I want to explain what those *opportunities* are and I want to suggest how to use them for more performance in the next updates of Tenkoku. Until that time, I may just use my modified version of Tenkoku.

But before starting, just want to say that if you found the clouds in the classic mode very bright, just darken its color at night. I believe it is better if the Tenkoku dev team just look at the classic clouds at night especially when you apply a wind and you set clouds movement to use wind speed only (cloudLinkToTime=false) .

The "Opportunities"

Tenkoku is the best asset I found as it has everything for the weather of sim and open world style games like NFS, GTA, TDU but it is not great and I found out that there are "opportunities" for Tenkoku dev team that would increase the performance of the asset if the team use them. If they do these, the asset will be great (Hopefully). Here is the list of them:

1. CPU "always" sets shader parameters. Tenkoku always sets shader, transform and scripts parameters every frame eg it sets "tenkokuVersionNumber" in lateUpdate()!!. I suggest updating values when needed and not every frame, As an example, when I wanted to set the ambient color for the Tenkoku shader, I wrote a function to check current hour and the function only checks and sets the value every hour instead of every frame which is 60 times per seconds. The function also smoothly changes a float value so Player won't notice the change every hour. And I saved a lot of performance. The thing is, Tenkoku unfortunately, consumes lots of CPU and RAM resources for even sunlight color and *lots* of other things *every frame* that is not good at all.

Another example is a lens-flare color, I made a script to use the sun color for camera lens flare every half a minute, I'm sure Tenkoku team can do better than me and make the asset change lots of stuff in every n-seconds instead of 60 times per second (!) in "Update" functions. Also, using an Update() function with no statement is not performance friendly, let alone using it for changing colors and such.

2. Color Gradient is good but is not very good and should be edited, Tenkoku *and Suimono* should use Post Processing Stack ( or PPS) for their color gradients and all of their image effects. Except for the Sun, Clouds and moon colors, other options should be done with PPS. What I exactly mean is, Tenkoku should use less CPU and GPU resources, so I don't mean the color grading should be hidden, but they should be deleted completely from the asset and instead PPS should be used.
      There might be a possibility to use PPS's fog instead of Tenkoku fog, not sure though.

3. Too much GameObject.Find() This will reduce load time, It is not bad but it could be better if at least use caching eg: Just assign a prefab to a private field instead of searching for it. Most of the objects that Tenkoku searches are already in the scene (they are not instantiated and thus not needed to be searched).

4. General color settings should be removed, this is just an overhead, With custom color gradient you have enough control over them. Once you add PPS support, you can change PPS values in its specific panel and this will be redundant. Speaking of PPS, I noticed stars and sky night doesn't look normal when you enable the depth field effect of PPS.

5. I suggest using event-driven functions, not using Update() function as much as possible and last but not least, check the heat haze effect as well as post-processing effects, I highly believe it is possible to let Post Processing Stack do the jobs. What I mean is, the rendering pipeline could be simplified.
    That is it, it looks like a very small list but I'm sure the devs understand how effective those are. And I hope this is useful for the devs behind the asset.

Verdict
    Tenkoku is one of the best weather simulation suits for indie Unity3D game-devs, but there are small but considerable coding issues that could be used as opportunities for making it better.

Sorry if there were grammatical problems here but I tried to convince Tenkoku team to clean up, optimize and simplify the asset more (or basically to revolutionize Tenkoku).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    chingwa likes this.
  26. theLittleSettler

theLittleSettler

@D4N005H Just a couple of notes as another user of tenk (but not sumino).

I disagree. While it would be useful to have it cached into a texture; and while some of those controls could be removed through use of the PPS, in general I think they are necessary for artistic control. It is not enough to just have a texture or gradient to edit as it can be really time consuming.

Also, if you want to argue performance, the gradient isn't very performant. The best of both worlds would be caching the gradient and colour changes into a texture in edit-time.

It really comes down to what's important for you - for me development time is the most important thing by far. Graphical fidelity / artistic control come in second, and performance a close third.

And chingwa...if you do want to cache those textures / colour stuff, it wouldn't be especially difficult. You'd just sample everything and write it to a texture. It'd be slow in editor, but it would hardly matter as it could just be delegated to a "Cache" button (or if there's some one-time message before the game plays).

Ideally, the shaders would use the gradient texture directly rather than sampling that data on the cpu, but it wouldn't need to go that far to be useful. So, if that were the case, you would pass Time and other variables, but would have no need to pass specific colour related things per frame (only when they are changed in the inspector).

I'd also use a cginc file to share said code for sampling gradient data across those shaders. In all, I think it'd end up being a fairly clean solution.

A good idea, but I would just mention that unity as a rule tends to use messages rather than events (except, I believe, the UI system). So FYI it might not be quite as great as it would seem. Its the right way of thinking about it though.

chingwa likes this.
  27. imDanOush

imDanOush

Good points, I hope the dev team and @chingwa would read these and actually make the asset better than it is now.
    I worry about the variables much more than the other stuff I've written about. The variables of Tenkoku should only be set/get when needed and not 60 times per every second. For me, Performance is a high priority.
    Although sending messages is good, but I believe using Delegate/Event would be handy as you have more control over it, for example, you can do type-checking and debug while sending messages won't give you this ability, And also it's pretty cheap.
    In fact, I think it is cheaper to use Delegate/Event instead of SendMessage method.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  28. chingwa

chingwa

@D4N005H Thank you for taking the time to write out all your thoughts. It's actually relatively rare to get some focused feedback like this, so I do appreciate it!

While I do understand that many of the recommendations you wrote about have to do with speed optimization, Tenkoku as an Asset store package needs to be accessible, first and foremost. This indeed will mean some sacrifice made toward useability... whether that's having inspector-set tint colors, or running updates on a regular basis to ensure everything gets passed to individual components whenever changes are made.

It's a catch-22. Tighter integration with other tools and components such as the Post Processing Stack could offer some benefit, but it will certainly take away from the flexibility and value as an asset store product. I don't want to require any additional components for the proper use of Tenkoku... even if that is something as popular as PPS. I even get emails complaining to me about how customers want to use Gamma and non-hdr cameras and can't get the sky to look good. Those aren't even components, just what might be considered baseline Unity settings. (sigh)

And even if there were not the above consideration, I would still have no control over the features or updates on other assets. The fog on the post processing stack does not fulfill the requirements that I have for Tenkoku, for example. Tenkoku fog is doing much more specific color blending than you'll get from a third party asset.

Setting color properties into a texture and then applying all those settings on the GPU sounds plausible. I already perform gradient texture construction for the Editor UI, so this could in theory be extended. I do question if this will ultimately be faster though... there are a lot of color comparisons and calculations going on under the hood to keep all the systems and components visually in sync with each other. Moving all this to shaders could have unintended consequences.

In general I do agree though about removing and limiting as much overhead as possible. In the latest update, version 1.1.7, GameObject.Find() has been removed and now uses the locally cached versions. Doing only the minimum in the main execution loop is something I will look at. Certainly variables don't need to be set at 60 times a second, but they do need to run fast enough to take into account system adjustments and time changes. A bit of code rearrangement never hurt anyone :D

veddycent and imDanOush like this.
  29. theLittleSettler

theLittleSettler

hah, yeah, good point.

This is true, but unity's post fx would be fairly reliable for what it does do. I wouldn't want to depend on non-unity stuff.

Are they all runtime changes though? I think most of them could be simplified. Think of it as various inputs. Time, weather, etc. The idea isn't so much to eliminate everything into something perfect but rather as a general simplification that can be applied across the board. Also, I meant bake those calculations (that you can) into the texture rather than ever calculating them at runtime. After all, why make the shader do more work than it needs to if it can all be done when the person edits values in the inspector instead?

In practice, it means using "find references" on the variables and working backwards that way to determine what the inputs are for things (to decide whether that thing could be included in the texture, shader, or must run on the script per frame).

It is worthwhile checking how much those calculations and Set calls to the shader/materials really cost, though. But the main reason to do it might be more to simplify things overall by making a clearer distinction between editor and runtime, and reducing code overall (in theory).

Forget time-based updating for it. You can detect whenever things are changed.
    Look up properties in c#. Basically, you could rewrite them so...

Code (csharp):
    2. float someVariable;
    3. public float SomeProperty
    4. {
    5.     get
    6.     {
    7.         return someVariable;
    8.     }
    9.     set
    10.     {
    11.         someVariable = value;
    12.         UpdateStuff();
    13.     }
    14. }
    And then use SomeProperty as if its a variable (people name it like this to indicate that it may behave more like a method).

It does bloat the script a bit though, so I encapsulate all my fields in #region fields #endregion (so its collapsable in the ide). This is also how you manage people setting funky values to your otherwise public variables - notice that the actual *variable* is private. Getters and setters, c# style.

@D4N005H yeah, SendMessage uses reflection iirc. Unless unity's working some magic, I can't imagine it remotely comparing to delegates. But we're not talking thousands of classes here, just a handful of instances of scripts. On this scale, it really doesn't matter when it comes to performance (it does for all those scripts on props that might accumulate). Again though, it would probably be cleaner, easier to read, bugfix, etc.

30. ksam2

ksam2

I'm using custom mesh for water but I have no underwater effect! is that a known issue?

31. chingwa

chingwa

@ksam2 Underwater and other effects ought to be working with a custom mesh, so there must be a bug or setup problem somewhere. Does water appear as expected? It's only interaction/underwater that is an issue?

ksam2 likes this.
  32. ksam2

ksam2

Then It might be a setup problem. I'll test again... but it could be awesome if were able to edit water surface shape instead! that would make it so easy.

33. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hi chingwa,
    I'm having an issue with tenkoku's temporal reprojection FX:
    When my character or items got in front of the skybox, their image got processed by the FX too and the result is unpleasant:
    upload_2017-12-18_10-39-48.png
    Look at the face here, is blurred.
    But disabling the FX will cause the clouds look grainy.
    Any suggestions to work around this?

34. chingwa

chingwa

@Harekelas Is the character using a transparent shader? Is it using a custom shader? By default the temporal fx are set to render at the back of the camera depth buffer, so it should happen in the background only. However if a shader overlaps the sky and that shader doesn't write to the depth buffer (such as transparent shaders and others in some cases) then you might see a problem similar to this.

In some cases where someone has used a custom shader, even an opaque shader that should be writing to the depth buffer, I have seen shader errors that prevent that from happening. On tip I can give in the case of a custom shader is to make sure the Shader has a "fallback" listed at the bottom. a Fallback "Diffuse" line at the bottom of the shader has fixed strange shader problems for me in the past, as it seems to do some black-box stuff in Unity that can hide unanticipated problems.

You can also try turning on the 'Use Full Screen Aliasing" setting in Tenkoku, and that should remove the force-to-background and apply to all screen pixels instead, but if that works I imagine it would still cause some blurriness in your character's face.

35. Harekelas

Harekelas

yes, the character's shader is from MCS, and can support transparency.
    For I have no knowledge dealing with shaders so I used two cameras to solve this problem, let the main camera only render the skybox and all the tenkoku's SFX on it and everything else is rendered by another camera with only depth clear flag, it seems fixed this issue.

36. Zer0Cool

Zer0Cool

Hi all,

TENKOKU Dynamic Sky is really awsome but i have some problems with the new clouds. The "Legacy Clouds" works fine and behaves as expected.

I have setup a new project only with TENKOKU to eleminate other effects. Then i loaded the example scene "_Tenkoku_Demo_Scene".
    TENKOKU version is 1.1.7 and the Unity version is 2017.1.2f1. OS is Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, GPU is "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB".
    The main problem is, that the brightness of all cloud types is overexposed. This is best seen on the Cirrus clouds:

I have tried all the settings and could only identify a setting that helps. The overexposed brightness has to do with the HDR setting of the main camera. Here you can see the result with "allow HDR" of the camera switched off:

I suppose you can handle the problem with tonemapping (but not sure about this point), but i think it's not good that the example scene already shows such problems.

Another problem is the dithering of the cumulus and overcast clouds, you can see here ("Use Temporal Aliasing" is activated, without it is much worse):

You can soften and improve the dithering by max out both the values of the soften Tenkoku_TemporalReprojection component attached at the camera and raise the could quality setting to a value above 1.7:

Finally, I think the main problem is the overexposure of the clouds. Maybe Unity has introduced some changes in the HDR calculation, but that's just speculation I do not know the previous versions of TENKOKU?

Linear vs Gamma Color Space does not make much of a difference, same as deferred or forward rendering.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    chingwa likes this.
  37. chingwa

chingwa

Hi @Zer0Cool it is assumed that the end user will be using some form of tonemapping as this is pretty much standard operating procedure for using color in Unity these days. I don't include a tonemapper since it might cause conflicts with other image effects, and they may have their own preferred Tonemapping technique in use already. The tonemapper from the Unity effects stack is free and very nice. For best results I recommend using Linear, HDR, and tonemapping, yes. I usually recommend deferred unless a person has a specific reason not to use it.

However, you are right about the clouds being overexposed, and not having a way to control that brightness. I'll see about adding some sort of overbright control for clouds in the next update.

As for the pixelized clouds, this is the reason I included the temporal reprojection function, it's main job is to smooth out the volume cloud rendering. Feel free to adjust settings as you see fit for your project! For the default settings that ship with Tenkoku I don't want to raise the cloud quality too high, because this does start to impact scene performance the higher this value goes.

Zer0Cool likes this.
  38. chingwa

chingwa

Hello all, just wanted to put a note here to let everyone know that my email account is currently down because of maintenance issues. If anyone has tried to contact me the last few days, I have not been able to send or receive any emails at all. Please contact me here in the forums until the problem is resolved.

Edit: All is fixed!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  39. Fatalis

Fatalis

My response is very late and I should have specified the legacy clouds. The non-legacy clouds are affected by fog but not the legacy ones.

Are the support forums for Tenkoku/Suimono being used anymore? I see quite a few threads going unanswered there, so I'm gonna put a current problem I am getting here:

"Using Tenkoku 1.1.7b on Unity 2017.2.0f

When using overcast at night (legacy clouds), the sky becomes progressively brighter when it shouldn't have that effect. It also does not look cloudy/overcast until the value is maxed."

Attached Files:

40. chingwa

chingwa

@Fatalis Thanks for the heads up. I checked and you're right about the legacy overcast at night, as well as the fog overlap issue. I admit legacy clouds have not gotten much love lately (thus "legacy" and all that :D ) I'll take a look at the legacy shader tomorrow and see if I can find the issue. Stay tuned.

41. Fatalis

Fatalis

Thanks, hoping to hear from you soon.

42. chingwa

chingwa

Sorry for the delay @Fatalis I sent you an email this morning with a legacy cloud fix.

43. ksam2

ksam2

How can I move camera around my scene when game is not playing? sky doesn't move along with camera in the scene windows.

44. halvorss

halvorss

Just acquired the Tenkoku Dymanic Sky 1.1.7b under Unity 5.6.3p2 and testing for my company. The demo scene works without issue, but when I imported into our project the Cumulus clouds weren't working... they'd either be off, or the whole sky would fill up. After much head banging, I determined the issue to be PC/Mac/Linux Standalone build versus WebGL build. Our same scene works as expected in Standalone, but switch to WebGL and the Cumulus clouds don't like it (other two types work fine). Any idea why this would be and if there may be a fix coming to support WebGL? Thanks for a beautiful sky system.
    Tenkoku_StandaloneVsWebGL.jpg

45. chingwa

chingwa

@halvorss I don't really support WebGL as I have seen nothing but problems (and unfulfilled promises from Unity) regarding it! It's been such a step backwards from the old Webplayer which I never had any trouble with (cry).

Is it only the cumulus clouds that are giving you trouble? You might be able to use the 'use legacy clouds' setting instead... they don't look as nice but they may be more compatible with WebGL.

I am in the process of rewriting the entire sky system for improved performance and rendering, and I will try and keep an eye out for WebGL issues.

46. halvorss

halvorss

Thank you for the quick reply @chingwa and yes it only affects the Cumulus clouds, the AltoStratus and Cirrus appear fine in WebGL. It took me a minute to find the Legacy Clouds checkbox... when I enable it all the cloud types disappear from the sky in WebGL. In standalone all things are working fine. I look forward to when you get the cloud shadows working.

47. Jason210

Jason210

I've just acquired this system along with SUIMONO and am currently trying things out with it.Firstly, thanks for a great system at an affordable price!

I have two questions which I hope you can help me with. Firstly, the Oskar-Elek shader is too dark at midday in my project, and doesn't seem to be easily configurable. I'd like it to be brighter, and to gradate towards the horizon. I can't seem to achieve that. The other thing is that when the sky is overcast, the direct light is still working, causing shadows and in the case of Suimono, brilliant reflections on the ocean surface. I'd like to be able to reduce or disable that light in overcast situations, but it does not seem to be configurable as it is part of the daylight system. Perhaps I am not using the system correctly? Or are these currently limitations?

48. chingwa

chingwa

@Jason210 You can adjust the brightness of the elek shader by increasing the 'Sky Amount(day)' setting under 'Celestial Settings'. Adding gradations to this shader is a bit problematic, as all the colors are determined from within the shader algorithm.

You can alternatively switch to the 'Legacy Tenkoku' atmospheric model, which will allow you to adjust sky and horizon colors as you need them... You can adjust colors in the 'Color Settings' section either by editing the Gradient Texture, or by switching the source to gradient and editing the in-editor color gradients.

For the overcast light, make sure you set the 'overcast darkening to something greater than 0. I would put this right at the max, and then when you increase the overcast setting you should see the scene light also darkening and the ambient source following suit, which should give a more realistic overcast feel.

49. Jason210

Jason210

Hi

Does anyone know how to disable shadows from the sun light?

Right now I have to turn the sun light down to zero, than add another directional light to the scene with shadows disabled, which is hacky.

Cheers
    Jason

50. chingwa

chingwa

@Jason210 There isn't currently a way to control this through the Tenkoku UI, but you can do it direct on the Light object... Go to the TenkokuDynamicSky-->SkySphere-->LIGHT_World object and switch the 'shadow type' to 'no shadows'.