Search Unity

Temtem terrain texture workflow

Discussion in 'World Building' started by EmperorIvan, Feb 2, 2020.

1. EmperorIvan

EmperorIvan

Hello, I am trying to recreate the terrain textures that are similar to the ones on Temtem game (reference link)
    and I'm having some trouble.

I tried to find answers before asking here in the forum but after a couple of weeks of research, I wasn't able to find any. Not even in which direction I should go to recreate the textures on that terrain in the picture. The way that unity terrain works now is that it simply blends the two textures.

What I want to achieve is to have some sort of layers, where I can paint over the existing texture (which is tillable) and not have it blend. For example, have a road texture and paint a grass texture where the grass will have it's blades stick into the road texture (picture reference).

Now, I know that I could handcraft each detail on the road, but that's not what I want to do, I want it to be easily modified. I also though of creating several tilemaps which I would stamp on the terrain, but the terrain doesn't allow painting on a grid (or at least I haven't found a solution).

Currently, I don't know how to proceed in completing this task, so, I came here to ask you guys for help :D

Thanks in advance!

2. N1warhead

N1warhead

@EmperorIvan
    I'd use Height Blending in HDRP (not sure if URP supports this or not yet).

But HDRP terrain supports this type of effect out of the box.
    You can supply 'height' info in a Mask texture for Terrain layers in HDRP.
    Essentially you'd want the grass layer to be more white than the dirt layer and it'll give you an effect like this.
    I found this image on https://forum.unity.com/threads/hdr...-me-understand-the-poor-documentation.614371/ by @KYL3R (I hope you don't mind) - hence why I'm giving reference for ya :)