Search Unity

Temporary workaround for Hub bug

Discussion in 'Linux' started by KevinWelton, Oct 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

The Hub is now installed on supported platforms via the corresponding package manager. Please see the documentation at https://docs.unity3d.com/hub/manual/InstallHub.html#install-hub-linux to install the Hub. You may want to clean up the files and edits from these steps prior to moving over to the package.

There is currently a bug in the Linux Hub where Hub links do not open the Hub. Additionally, searching for and launching the Hub in GNOME doesn't work.

Until the issue is fixed in the official build, here is a completely unofficial workaround that should get you going. Note that this is only tested on GNOME with no path configuration changes.

You can tell if you affected by this bug by checking for the existence of ~/.local/share/applications/appimagekit-unityhub.desktop. If this file does exist, you should be OK.

Otherwise, you can work around the issue by applying the following steps:

1) Create the file ~/.local/share/applications/appimagekit-unityhub.desktop with the following contents, substituting your correct home path and path of the UnityHub.AppImage file:

[Desktop Entry]
    Name=Unity Hub
    Comment=The Official Unity Hub
    Exec="/home/SubstituteMe/.local/bin/UnityHub.AppImage" %U
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Icon=appimagekit-unityhub
    MimeType=x-scheme-handler/unityhub;
    Categories=Development;
    X-Desktop-File-Install-Version=0.24
    TryExec=/home/SubstituteMe/.local/bin/UnityHub.AppImage
    2) (Updated, see old step below if you have issues.) Run the following command to register the URL scheme with XDG: xdg-mime default appimagekit-unityhub.desktop x-scheme-handler/unityhub

2) Create or open the file ~/.local/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache. Add the following content. If the file already exists, leave out the first line:

[MIME Cache]
    x-scheme-handler/unityhub=appimagekit-unityhub.desktop;
    You should now be able to open Hub links and search for it in GNOME.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Could you give an example about that, a link I could try? I don't seem to have this problem and the desktop file doesn't exist in my system. I'm using Linux Mint Xfce. Thanks.

3. Kaare

Kaare

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately that didn't fix the issue in Pop_OS 20.10 (Unity 2020.1.10f1)

vsxvprince228 likes this.
  4. mosaic_school

mosaic_school

Works perfectly on Ubuntu 20.04. Really helpful workaround. Thanks for sharing!

5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

unityhub://2019.4.8f1/60781d942082

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

7. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Sorry I messed up the link. I fixed it now. Anyway you should get a popup asking if you want to open it in Unity hub:

upload_2020-10-28_1-2-54.png

The links to actual builds can be found here (Under the green "Unity Hub" button): https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah, I've used these buttons many times in the past.

The button for 2019.4.8.f1 you used as an example (not the link, the actual button on the archive page) actually works for me, once I've added the proper instructions to Firefox (I tend to forget to do that when a new version of the Hub is released. It wouldn't be a problem if I didn't change the name of UnityHub.Appimage into the full name of the new version though...):

Capture d’écran_2020-10-28_17-13-32.png
    Once this done, on clicking on the green UnityHub button, the hub opens and offers to install Unity:

Capture d’écran_2020-10-28_17-14-21.png
    Do I need to desktop file for anything else?

9. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

No. But if Unity hub installed that file correctly, you wouldn't have to modify Firefox settings: it would just work.

Deleted User likes this.
  10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Oh, that's not much a bother. :)

Will this be fixed in a future version of the Hub?

11. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Yes, that's the plan but not sure about the timeline of that.

Deleted User likes this.
  12. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

@APSchmidt, the .desktop file if still necessary if you are in an GNOME environment where only apps with .desktop files show up in app searches.

Take Ubuntu for example. If you haven't added the Hub as a startup app, you will have to go to the CLI each time you want to start the Hub. If you have the .desktop file, you can press the Windows key and type "hub" and it will show in the search :)

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks for the input but, as I've already mentioned, I'm using Xfce, not Gnome. I have no problem at all starting the Hub. :)

14. fran_m

fran_m

It looks like a bug under Ubuntu, on Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon works fine.

15. JeffersonFerreira

JeffersonFerreira

Thanks, I was thinking it was a problem with my installation, I managed to fix it with the instructions.

I'm on Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon

16. ettmetal

ettmetal

Even though Unity Hub is integrated into my desktop, and set to handle unityhub links, opening it via the browser only opens Unity Hub - it doesn't actually open the version for install. Passing the unityhub link to the Hub Appimage on the command line works, but feels like very much not the intended experience.

Could this be related, or is it a separate bug?

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes, it happens to me too. The only way, is clicking again and again on the Hub button on the web page until the installation starts... or try another day.

Probably a bug of some sort, either related to the Hub itself or the servers. Difficult to say. :)

18. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

@ettmetal, @APSchmidt

So clicking on a Hub link from the Unity Download Archive does not work after running both steps 1 and 2?

I tried this on my Linux Mint 20.1 install and didn't have a problem with the Hub links.

If you paste a specific link I can try, that would be helpful.

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

Unfortunately, it doesn't happen with every link; I remember having to try ten times in a row before the installation begins. I don't remember with version of Unity it was.

20. remma12

remma12

I know I'm not on a supported distro (dirty Arch/Plasma user here) but this worked perfectly for me

Since the version installed from the AUR installed the bins rather than the appimage I modified the Exec and TryExec lines to /opt/unityhub/unityhub-bin

Many thanks for the workaround

21. ChakibChemso

ChakibChemso

working! this should be stated in the docs tho
    but how to add an icon? this gear icon is ugly lol

22. topnessman

topnessman

Please help! I'm having a trouble logging in into Unity. It pops up a dialog saying "You must install UnityHub to sign in and use unity services". I followed the steps and was expecting that this popup will go away, but it didn't. How can I let Unity know that UnityHub is already installed and let me log in? I'm using Ubuntu 20.04LTS. Thanks so much!

23. Deleted User

Deleted User

24. costinteo

costinteo

Hello!
    I am having this issue on Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon and the workaround doesn't work. Passing the link to the AppImage at CLI also doesn't work.

More specifically: I can't login, the redirection link just opens an empty page.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    nrlngyl likes this.
  25. hadrosaurunity

hadrosaurunity

I managed to get this to work. A couple of tips:
    • You need to create the file in #1 - yes, "Create" is the first word of the first instruction, but I somehow didn't read it :)
    • Remember to put the correct path to the appimage file (probably you have to replace not only your username but the path to the bin file)
    • You need to open the hub from the desktop entry (not via command line). In cinnamon launcher, if I created the .desktop file correctly, I could search for Unity Hub.
    • If you have gotten your browser / xdg in a weird state from all the previous attempts:
      • Open the Hub
      • Click on the sign-in link
      • You will be directed to an empty page
      • Copy the URL
      • Open a private browsing window
      • Paste in the URL
      • Sign-in on the web
      • You will see an empty page
      • Go back to the Hub, cross your fingers, it should hopefully log in now
    • I had to manually re-add my licenses to the new version (skip the buy flow after logging in and then manually activate)

26. costinteo

costinteo

Thanks for the advice! I just redid all the steps carefully from the first post and I realised that I stupidly believed "~/path/to/AppImage" would mean the same as "/home/MyUsername/path/to/AppImage". Which is completely false because I presume my user isn't the one handling xdg? So now that I properly substituted the paths it works! Thanks again for making me try the steps again, haha!

EthanFischer and superdoodjj like this.
  27. mauriciodelos

mauriciodelos

Hello, I know this is an old thread revived recently but I was having the same issue in Xubuntu 20.04 using Firefox or Chromium and wanted to say that this guide helped to solve my issue.

Thanks!

28. Bodsda

Bodsda

Hi, just wanted to say thanks for this. I was stuck with UnityHub not logging in just opening a blank webpage. After following this all is working. One thing to note, the .desktop lines have the AppImage name as UnityHub.AppImage - The one I download was UnityHubBeta.AppImage, but works as expected after getting the paths and the filename correct.

superdoodjj likes this.
  29. superdoodjj

superdoodjj

Thanks a bunch! Got it to work with Pop!_OS 21.04.

hadrosaurunity and Bodsda's comments were both super helpful. Thanks!

30. MostHated

MostHated

No, I use a script to launch my projects from terminal by just typing `unity project_name`

To launch a project, you just need to run the Unity binary and pass the path to your project's root using '-projectPath', no need to launch the hub first.
    Ex: /home/my_user/unity/2020.3.20f1/Editor/Unity -projectPath /path/to/my/unity/project

31. Deleted User

Deleted User

No longer, you need to start Unity through the Hub nowadays.

32. largosensei

largosensei

This issue is still present on UnityHubBeta.AppImage V 3.0.0-beta6 in Debian 11 x64amd - KDE Plasma

Tested on Firefox-ESR Firefov-Dev-Ed Konqurer and Chromium. All same result with no changes to behavior. But this now affects Hub Logins outright. Since switching from embedded login dialog over to browser oauth.

OP's solution worked with minor correction to the appImage name intended. (UnityHub > UnityHubBeta)
    Step 2 was not necessary in my case. It just worked.

EDIT. The re-release of the Linux UnityHub 3.0.0-beta6 will resolve this issue (Archive, not the solo AppImage) Follow included install instructions and it'll place the *.desktop file for you now.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  33. cagh

cagh

Доброго времени суток. При входе с версии 3.0.0-beta.6 sing in выдает ошибку .Помогите исправить

{
    "message" : "Conversation Not Found",
    "code" : "132.191",
    "details" : [ {
    "field" : "cid",
    "reason" : "Conversation d79b4a81-f2e1-41ca-8528-e4dbd886a6f200af not found"
    } ]
    }

34. MilitaryG

MilitaryG

KevinWelton

Witch version of unity hub should i use as mine freezes when i try to search for licence
    I'm a little confused how licence should be able to get and set is there any complete guide that would guide me through the process.

Seeing that xfce has less bug problems I might just switch to manjaro xfce also seeing arch doesn't have problems (people's posts)

35. MilitaryG

MilitaryG

ok found the witch hub to install

https://unity.com/download

and just follow the steps on the read me file

works fine

on Xubuntu

36. ID-RDS-2

ID-RDS-2

Sorry but this fix is not working on Ubuntu 18.04 - It works on Ubuntu 20.04. I tried with both Chrome and Firefox. I dont see the Pop-Up when I click on the Green Unity Hub button for a specific Unity version.

@Tautvydas-Zilys @KevinWelton Any suggestions on what I could do?

37. Nightwalker83

Nightwalker83

I can't get the desktop shortcut working! I have followed what it says in post 1.

38. MilitaryG

MilitaryG

if you are on archlinux or manjaro which this 2 aren't supported BUT in AUR repository there's UnityHUB it works flawless

39. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

I will update this post. The Hub should now be installed via the package manager. The package will configure the Hub link making the workaround unnecessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.