Search Unity

Templates / Slots replacement / ideas

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by PassivePicasso, Nov 21, 2018.

1. PassivePicasso

PassivePicasso

I've seen that Templates and Slots are changing and so we should avoid them, but I'm curious what is going to replace the system?

I ask because a system that I've made myself in Unity with VisualElements, inspired by XAML, was to setup a sub-type of VisualElement which can be provided a Type via UXML.
    This sub-type does a look up to find any Templates that have been mapped to the type and loads that template automatically.

I'm hoping to see something like this built-in, I find it a lot faster/easier to iterate on and I'm sure many others do to.
    If not can we get some idea of where the replacement system is going?

2. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

Slots will come back, just in a slightly different form. We just didn't think the current Slots API was ready and didn't want to break the API post-release. We are trying to better match the web standards around slots and the shadow vs. light tree separations.

3. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

4. PassivePicasso

PassivePicasso

Oh thats superb, thats very useful and will make how I want to extend this a lot easier!
    Thanks for pointing that out, been running on the source for so long I stopped checking the documentation.