Search Unity

Template Projects for Beginners

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by sdcote, Jul 6, 2019.

1. sdcote

sdcote

I just downloaded Unity and would like to locate a template project which has a simple running example of a 3D space explorer game which can be used as a starting point for learning Unity. I am open to purchasing a project in the Asset Store, but being new to the product and the game development field as a whole, it's not clear how to search for such a thing.

It would be more helpful for me to learn from a more complete example which actually operates rather than going through the tutorials piecemeal and learning the individual skills separately. I have been coding (business apps) for many years but using a framework like Unity and game development as a practice is multi-layered. So far running tutorials is taking far too long to achieve anything demonstrable.

There are a few projects in GitHub, but most are 2D games and many are old and buggy. Ultimately, I'd like to create a space exploration game (along the lines of Elite Dangerous) with an emphasis on quick, simple gameplay. It would be nice to start out with a modern example to develop the concept and my Unity skills.

Any recommendations?