Search Unity

Teaser cinematic, our first contact with the HD Pipeline

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by victor-rubinstein, Jul 25, 2019.

1. victor-rubinstein

victor-rubinstein

Hello, i just wanted to share a video a colleague and i made at our company for an MMO that is currently in development ( https://embersword.com/ ) using the HD Render pipeline, running in real-time.
    The real-time part especially is a big deal for me personally since it allows us to work more iteratively and instantly visualize and tune the video, rendering a lot of prep work obsolete and removing most of the guesswork involved in traditional off-line rendering.
    I'm also really amazed at how powerful the post processing stack really is, we achieved anything without any external assets, which is a first for us wihen working with Unity.
    With the Post processing stack, coupled with Cinemachine, you can get some amazing results really fast., and do any post processing on the video directly (except for the outro, which is the only thing done in a post processing software)
    There are of course some downsides to the process, and we learned a lot of lessons on the go, so if you have any questions regarding anything you see in the video, let me know

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    zyzyx and jorisshh like this.
  2. victor-rubinstein

victor-rubinstein

To anyone wishing to use the HD pipeline, here are our conclusions after spending a couple of weeks with it:
    HDRP's main benefit is that it has some very advanced post processing effects and materials, all included from the start, no need for any extra assets. It's actually quite a solid package, i managed to have it do everything i had planned for the video (even tho i had to do some hacks in places), and i can't stress how much i liked working on a cinematic in real-time, after working on a lot of offline-rendering productions in the past
    That being said... HDRP's main drawback is that it doesn't work with most assets i regularly use (or most assets at all), because it's so new and experimental. I have no doubt that a lot of assets will end up supporting it in time, but right now i wouldn't use it for any production pipelines yet, it's just too experimental and there's no support or proper documentation for it. In the case of this short intro video, it was a good occasion to test it, since it's a short one-off project with a clear end-goal, but i wouldn't use it for a game just yet.

Pxltiger and TokyoWarfareProject like this.