Search Unity

Team packages and local packages?

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by De-Panther, Jul 16, 2018.

1. De-Panther

De-Panther

Hi,

As far as I know, there's only 1 configuration file per project.
    Would there be a way for people who work in teams to select local packages?

Lets say that the project itself needs the TextMeshPro package, but only one artist needs the ProBuilder.
    How should we solve it with source control? We don't want to set GIT to ignore the config file...

Thanks

2. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @De-Panther,

For the moment there is nothing to exclude or add package for a specific user. If you use the TextMeshPro package and you remove it only for one user, the project will be broken for this specific user (errors and warning in the console). So I'm not sure what you want to achieve. What is the pain point with having all packages for all users?

Regards,

Pascal

3. De-Panther

De-Panther

I'm thinking about future cases, where only one member of the team needs a specific tool...
    As I wrote, all the members need TextMeshPro, as it is something that compiles with the project, but not all the members needs ProBuilder, only those who are working on level design...

4. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

I see. Thanks for the feedback. This is helpful. But (sadly), don't expect a feature like this soon though. We are still early in the implementation of the package manager infrastructure. Even though your request is sound and totally make sense. I'm setting the expectation :)

Regards,

Pascal

De-Panther likes this.
  5. De-Panther

De-Panther

Sure. I understand. Thanks.

I guess that meanwhile developers can ignore the config file on the repository, and make a script that creates one according to the user's needs

6. De-Panther

De-Panther

As packages became much more useable since then.

New opinions on this feature? Maybe new ideas what hack can we do now?

7. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @De-Panther,

This is still something that we still keep in the back of our minds. But nothing new to share since last year. Sorry :(

Regards,

Pascal

De-Panther likes this.