Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TCP/IP or UNET networking for connecting with external software (Matlab / OpenVibe)

Discussion in 'UNet' started by valentin_bourdon, Jan 30, 2018.

1. valentin_bourdon

valentin_bourdon

I'm working on a project with a neuroscience lab. I need to create a bidirectional virtual reality intracortical brain-computer interface with the Matlab or OpenVibe software. Is it better to do it with a TCP connection or with Unet? I do not know if with Unet it is possible to read the data sent by the external software. I managed a connection with TCP but I would like to know what is the best solution.

yashvarshneyy likes this.
  2. methos5k

methos5k

If you can get the Unet to work with it, and set the channel options you need, then you have a choice.
    If you cannot, then you have 1 choice instead of 2.

I don't really know how to answer the question beyond that. It seems like something you'd need to know about what you want (and/or what can even work).

3. valentin_bourdon

valentin_bourdon

Thank you for your reply.
    In terms of data delivery performance, is Unet more perfomant than TCP? With TCP I can read OpenVibe data with a StreamReader. How to create a connection with Unet to a server and recover data?

4. methos5k

methos5k

I have no idea how to do it with the software/servers you mentioned, but I'm 99% sure that UNet is UDP.

UDP and TCP have differences. Unity (UNet) also has variants of UDP, such as: ordered, ordered reliable which mimic some of TCPs stuff.

This is part of the reason I said it's hard to answer more.

Hope that helps, even a little bit.

5. valentin_bourdon

valentin_bourdon

Yes thanks !
    I will try to test with Unet to compare and see if I can create a server / client link between OpenVibe and unity.

6. methos5k

methos5k

Cool, well good luck :)

7. yashvarshneyy

yashvarshneyy

hi,
    can you please tell me how to create connection from openvibe to unity using tcp/ip (i am processing data via matlab toolbox in openvibe).