Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TargetPRO [By Path-o-logical Games]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Rafes, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Rafes

Rafes

TargetPRO
    By Path-o-logical Games, the makers of PoolManager and UnityConstraints

We are excited to announce our instance detection and tracking framework! This is not another turret AI system. It can be used in just about any type of game.

TargetPRO is an extremely powerful, flexible and performance-friendly event-driven framework that allows you to get targets and send them information. Weather you are setting up a gun turret which needs to wait until it is pointing at a target before firing, or just trying to decide how to respond to a bunch of GameObjects in range, TargetPRO can get you up and running fast and efficiently!

TargetPRO is great for code-wizards looking to save significant R&D time or for less code-fluent users who want quick setup via components in the inspector, coupled with simple event-triggered scripting. Setup is easy, and complete documentation, example files and support are provided in case you want to dive deeper!

Track Any Targets in Range. Whether you are creating a gun turret, a zombie or a hugs machine, you can quickly and painlessly pick targets and directly pass them hit information. The entire API is linked through a network of cached references granting access to every component and GameObject involved in an event.

TargetPRO is currently priced at $49.95 (PayPal Accepted)

(Available in in HD....)

This is a fast overview that demonstrates just a little of what TargetPRO is capable of...

A longer step-by-step rundown of a basic TargetTracker setup...

JavaScript doesn't have event delegates like C#, so we added this component for JavaScript users to translate events in to messages...

See all the Path-o-logical Games packages

Thank you for your interest. We hope to see you on the forums!

© 2011 Path-o-logical Games. All rights reserved.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  2. Mark_T

Mark_T

Looks really interesting. Posted a couple of questions on the forums.

3. Rafes

Rafes

Hi, thank you for posting your questions. I answered here:
    http://forums.support.path-o-logical.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1253&p=2281#p2281

The full info is one click away, but I wanted to re-post this because it is a great example of a creative use of a TargetTracker:

Setup Idea: A Searchlight
    One way this might be done...

1. Add a TargetTracker to an empty GameObject
    2. Make the GameObject a child of your searchlight.
    3. Add a script to the searchlight with public TargetTracker field to drag-and-drop on to. This gives you cached access to the TargetTracker.
    4. Use a raycast to find the contact point with anything in the beam's line-of-sight in order to set the position of the TargetTracker's GameObject.
    To handle what actually happens when something wonders in to the searchlight's beam depends on what your game needs (which is why a framework like TargetPRO is more valuable than canned AI solutions - sorry, had to through in a cheap plug, hah!). You could...
    A) use the script on your searchlight to start a co-routine that checks the TargetTracker's 'targets' list every frame, and when there is a target, do something. 'targets' is a list of cached references, so there is almost no overhead to hitting it every frame.

...or...

B) add a FireController to the searchlight to notify the target when it enters the light. This would use the OnHit event with an effect-on-target "Detected" (or whatever you want to call it). You could ignore the value and duration (These are for your use anyway and only have meaning if you use them).

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  4. Rafes

Rafes

5. outtoplay

outtoplay

Looks really good. solid product line you guys are developing.

6. Rafes

Rafes

Thanks!

These packages form the core of the game we are developing. I keep finding new ways to use them. For example. two days ago I used a TargetTracker and FireContoller (TargetPRO components) to create the enemy goal for our tower defense game.

• When enemies walk in to it, they are told to "despawn", which is different than dieing. They don't explode or give the user any reward.
    • The goal itself also subscribes to this event to remove "life" from the player.
    It took me about 10 minutes to set it up and write the scripts that use the events. Love it!

7. burtonposey

burtonposey

Just picked this up this morning. It was very easy to get into and get working in my game.

I've got a list of about five things already that I'm going to use it for, :). The icing on the cake is the projectile steering stuff. Just saved me a few hours of time on writing my own solution.

I also own PoolManager 2 and love it dearly. I need to figure out what's up with my particle effects when they load on my spawned items the 2nd time around, but I think with some more sleep I can get it :).

Looking forward to sharing back with you guys what your great products have helped me to do.

Take care and best of luck! Anyone wanting to do range based targeting and firing should pick this up. Path O Logical thought of just about everything when they made this. I'm not making a Tower Defense game, but this would make it dead simple to do so.

8. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Superb, how easy would it be to integrate into Playmaker?

9. Rafes

Rafes

@burtonposey: Thank you for taking the time to post such kind words! Hearing it makes all the long hours of packaging, documentation and video editing worth it!

@lars: we have sent our friends at PlayMaker a free copy to begin integration when time allows. We have had nothing but positive feedback regarding their PoolManager integration, so we look forward to seeing what they can do with TargetPro!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  10. Mark_T

Mark_T

Purchased.
    I had the pleasure to play a bit and it`s a great package. And with Playmaker support and connected with Pool Manager it will be just brilliant.
    Thanks for the discount too. :)
    All the best!

11. Rafes

Rafes

Thank you Mark!

You just reminded me that I still want to make a short video about PoolManager integration. Here are some points of interest:

• To use PoolManager instead of Unity's Instantiate and Destroy, simply uncomment the #define line at the top of TargetPRO.cs. The docs are here:

http://docs.targetpro.path-o-logical.com/code-reference/namespace

• If you add a PoolManager SpawnPool to your scene with the name "Projectiles", you can preload instances and TargetPRO will use them automatically. In fact, you can use the SpawnPool just like any other and TargetPRO will share it.

• If you don't have PoolManager yet, but think you might get it at some point, you can use TargetPro.InstanceManager.Spawn and Despawn. As it says at the link above, "This is primarily used internally, but if you have a need to manage instances and wish to tie in to this functionality, you could use these methods instead of Unity's." These are static methods so they can be used from any script. Rare, but could be handy.
    Remember, projectiles can be anything you want to spawn when the FireController triggers the OnFire event. It can be a sprite-flash, a particle system, or a TargetPRO Projectile with AI of its own. Anything you put in the Ammo slot will be pooled if you have PoolManager.

- Rafe

12. outtoplay

outtoplay

This would be terrific. Look forward.

13. Rafes

Rafes

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  14. Rafes

Rafes

Hi,

Be sure to subscribe to the Release Notes thread on our forums by following this link and clicking on "Subscribe Topic" in the upper left. This will notify you of new releases.

You can also subscribe to the TargetPRO forums! While viewing the list of topics in the forums, there is a "Subscribe Forum" link in the upper right.

We have also started a new topic for TargetPRO Feature Requests!

15. Rafes

Rafes

16. Burletech

Burletech

Fantastic package. Integrated into my new mobile game within an hour. Using it for everything from item pickup to ai targeting. Thanks for such a great asset!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  17. Rafes

Rafes

Thanks for taking the time to post some kind words!

18. giyomu

giyomu

Look very usefull..and i have already your pooling tool..seem to be a good buy to do :)

19. Rafes

Rafes

Hi,

The response from users has been fabulous. However, I want to be openly unsure as to the best way to explain just how useful this tool can be to any game, so if you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask!

The bottom line is, if you want really quick, easy and deep control over any two objects that need to do anything when they get close, TargetPRO can do it. It lets you keep your code simple and clean and easy to maintain.

20. Burletech

Burletech

21. marcaurelio74

marcaurelio74

Hi,
    a couple of questions :

1) Instead of adding the Constraint Component "Look at" to awake the rigidbody of the Targetable GameObject is the same if i add a
    rigidbody to the TargetTracker GameObject?

2) I can use multiple GameObject with TargetTracker component at the same time?

Thanks.

22. Rafes

Rafes

Can you explain your questions a little more? I'm not sure what you are asking. If you would rather start a more detailed discussion, you may prefer our support forums at http://support.path-o-logical.com/forums (http://forums.support.path-o-logical.com).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  23. Rafes

Rafes

We just released version 4.0.2 after a user reported an issue with the UnityConstraints demo scenes. There is no other change.

24. Rafes

Rafes

25. crafTDev

crafTDev

Man, I missed the sale. Wish I knew about thus earlier. Seems cool. Hopefully goes on sale again...

26. Rafes

Rafes

You aren't the only one. so we decided to do our own 24 hour sale (closer to 48 hours actually... to avoid time-zone math)

Here is a coupon for everyone to get 30% off TargetPRO at our store

CPN74589574866

To use the coupon, go to the following address and click "Get It Now" for TargetPRO. Enter a quantity, and the coupon, and click "enter".

As with the AssetStore, you'll be able to download updates for free.

Thank you for your interest in TargetPRO!

27. crafTDev

crafTDev

Omg! Sweet! Bought! Just made me a happy man. :)

28. John-G

John-G

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  29. Rafes

Rafes

Hi John,

Since TargetPRO is a framework and API, you should be able to integrate it with just about anything.

I actually bought Autoaim several months back to look in to integrating your target-leading features for a game! We have a tower defense game that we put on hold but are now going back to, and it has a tower the lobs an object towards an enemy. I even wrote some of my own physics equations but development was interrupted. I haven't had a chance to look at Autoaim, but if I remember correctly we have some components with the same name that broke on installation. For this very reason, I have an internal ticket to look in to component namespacing.

I recently added a new "modifier" pattern to TargetPRO and I was thinking target-leading might work as one (line-of-sight is already a modifier).

We love collaborating with other AssetStore developers. Even if we move forward with our own target leading I think there could be great value in doing some integration with your plugin for users who have both. If you are interested in working together on this, please email me via support@path-o-logical.com!

30. John-G

John-G

Hi Rafe the AutoAim asset it not mine - just one I purchased. Would love if you and Tim (Author of Autoaim) could collaborate on getting both working together.
    He's asset feature's Target leading, parabolic trajectories and disable fire if line of sight blocked.
    Would be brilliant if I could feed the target information from TargetPro to he's turrets for fire commands.

EDIT:
    Would it be possible to add a Cone shaped Perimeter type detection for turrets.
    This could be used to simulate sonar/radar type detection systems that emit outwards in a given direction.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  31. meta87

meta87

I'll second that request :) TargetPRO has been very useful for me and aiming features would be icing on top! (I wouldn't mind having to buy autoaim)

32. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey Rafes, would it be possible to use LOS to see where the targetable is? I'm asking this to know if target tracker knows when a target is on left right or directly in front. Btw, no API for LOS?

33. crafTDev

crafTDev

Rafes could you explain what the other delegates mean? There is only saw an example for AddOnDetectedDelegate. What are 'Set' and 'Remove' used for?

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  34. Rafes

Rafes

Hi,

The code reference docs for each component list their delegates. For example, the FireController docs:
    http://docs.targetpro.path-o-logical.com/code-reference/firecontroller

"The following functions are used to add, set (replace) or remove a delegate for an event."

Let me know if you'd like any more specific information on this subject and the docs can be expanded. Please post this to our forums though at http://support.path-o-logical.com/forums - This opens the forums in a cramped iFrame but the search feature is really good.

35. Rafes

Rafes

36. im

im

hi i just picked it up on sale, was running the demos and ran into couple issues

as i said i just got it so i'm still not sure if the issues are just with the demo scenes or extend to the asset, which would really be bad.

im willing to rate it 5/5 if the issues are resolved or if they are not with asset, so please help so i can update my review.

when multiple targets TurretWithAimExample intermittently cant make up its mind which of the two targets to shoot so it just looks back and forth never shooting either of them

TurretWithLOSAimExample the Explosion(Clone) are not being removed

37. Rafes

Rafes

Hi Im,

the particle despawn has nothing to do with TargetPRO. I probably just made the scene with PoolManager active which auto-despawns particles when they all die. I'll look at the scene to see if it is worth adding some clean-up.

The scenario where the FireController looks back and forth is an artifact of the sorting algorithm. The default is a simple distance sort by square-magnitude run through a C# comparer. There is nothing proprietary or complex happening in there. It.should rarely happen in actual gameplay. If it does, there are a number of items that can be tweaked, from the sorting interval to the sort function itself. Let us know if this becomes an issue for you.

38. im

im

hi again. thank you for your response to my post

i updated my review, 4/5 to almost there.

np, still nice squash bugs, even in demos. ;)

this does look like a bug, perhaps would be good to always pick one when there are more than one that are equal, whether the 1st one or some random on is not important, what is important is for the turrent not to mindlessly go back and forth never picking one and never shooting one cause that does not mimic what would happen in real life. so if u can please put some simple logic to favor one, thanks in advance.

best regards

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  39. Rafes

Rafes

Great News! If you had purchased TargetPRO from us in the past, you have been upgraded to the "Pool, Target, Constrain Bundle". When you upgrade you will now get the full version of PoolManager and UnityConstraints in one package for free.

Enjoy.

40. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

And what about the other way around?

I bought the other two in the asset store but can not get this onw there what i would like because of the automatic updates that maybe take some days more but i have not to hunt after each asset later.

So will i get this for free too?

41. Rafes

Rafes

Do you mean you bought PoolManager and UnityConstraints but not TargetPRO?

• The Unity AssetStore doesn't have coupons for discounts yet. I would be happy to give you 50% off TargetPRO at our store though, if you email support@path-o-logical.com with your order inforformation for the other two packages. I could also give you a larger discount to get the bundle if you think that would be easier, so you only have to get the one download in the future.
    • If you are looking for TargetPRO in the AssetStore standalone, we are still waiting for them to approve the new package. Hopefully it appears any day now..

42. John-G

John-G

Hi just wondering if you ever had any look getting this working with Autoaim?

43. Rafes

Rafes

We haven't done any direct integration, but, thanks to our new namespacing, you can have both packages in your project without Type collisions. I can't think of any reason why the packages wouldn't work together out of the box though. If you want to talk specifics (or if I have forgotten something) please email me at support@path-o-logical.com.

44. John-G

John-G

Excellent will download latest version and try them together.

45. Rafes

Rafes

Hi All,

TargetPRO is once again live on the AssetStore. I just want to remind everyone who purchased it before today that you have been upgraded to the Pool, Target, Constrain Bundle (you now get PoolManager for free). You will see your previous purchase under this new name in the Store downloads from now on.

The new TargetPRO is technically a new package, so we have 0 reviews and ratings. We would be extremely grateful to any users that would be willing to go rate it, and even more so if you would leave a review, here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/11330

Thanks again!

46. crafTDev

crafTDev

So I am looking to update TargetPro, forgot I didnt purchase from AssetStore but from the website. There is no link or explanation on how to update my package though. Help please?

47. Rafes

Rafes

When you made the original purchase, you were given a download link. That link/account should be the same for updates.

If you are having trouble finding the pruchase emails, please email support@path-o-logical.com with your name and email address used to make the purchase and I can look up your order and resend the emails.

48. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hmm...Rafes, still a few more warnings:

Assets/Editor/PathologicalGames/Common/PGEditorUtils.cs(1010,26): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.EditorGUIUtility.LookLikeInspector()' is obsolete: `LookLikeControls and LookLikeInspector modes are deprecated.'

Assets/Editor/PathologicalGames/TargetPro/TargetProMessengerInspector.cs(47,30): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.EditorGUIUtility.LookLikeControls(float)' is obsolete: `LookLikeControls and LookLikeInspector modes are deprecated. Use EditorGUIUtility.labelWidth and EditorGUIUtility.fieldWidth to control label and field widths.'

Should I just comment those lines of code for now?

49. Rafes

Rafes

No. These are not errors and will not harm anything. These are simply deprecation warnings to let developers know there is a new API interface to update to. Even more so because these particular warnings are in the Editor anyway, which only handles display of the inspector in Unity.

Please ignore these messages for now.

50. crafTDev

crafTDev

Rafes, this was my initial problem. These warnings are annoying. Could you just post a fix to them if you don't want to update the full package please.